PDA

View Full Version : Another linebacker emerges

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Another linebacker emerges

Last year it was DeMeco Ryans who stood out in training camp, then wound up becoming the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year. Now Zac Diles is making a similarly good early impression.

From Kubiak: "He's been something. I tell you what, this kid is physical, he'll do anything. He impresses his teammates everyday. (He's) very smart and has picked up what we're doing. He's pushing very, very hard to get on that field early. He's making a hell of a push. We'll see what happens during the preseason games."

DALE ROBERTSON

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/2007/08/diles_lundy_and_1.html

kiwitexansfan
08-03-2007, 01:09 AM
What LB position does Diles play??

Is he into the competition with Orr and Anderson or is he chasing Greenwood down??

mexican_texan
08-03-2007, 01:31 AM
I expected that kind of reaction from Jon Abbate

Texanmike02
08-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Why can't it ever be an LT that sticks out in camp... oh yeah... spencer how we miss you let me count the ways.

Mike

mexican_texan
08-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I expected that kind of reaction from Jon Abbate
High marks for Abbate
If Gary Kubiak had to pinpoint "surprise players" in training camp, Jon Abbate's name would be at the top of the list.

The Texans shifted the rookie Wake Forest from linebacker to fullback, and the transition has been smoother than they ever predicted. With Jameel Cook on the physically-unable-to-perform list, Abbate has the opportunity to be a backup to Vonta Leach.

"It's been special," Kubiak said. "You take a kid from defense and put that much pressure on him, and put him on the offensive side of the ball, you got a short window to try to impress us. He can play in this league at fullback. I know one thing, our team knows he'll hit somebody, and that counts for a lot. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and we'll see how the preseason goes, but the kid's made up a lot of ground."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5020573.html

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Is he into the competition with Orr and Anderson or is he chasing Greenwood down??

Last night he played all over the place. Mainly weakside and middle.:shades:

awtysst
08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Good. We need all the good football players we can get!

threetoedpete
08-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Any where demeeco doesn't ? No seriuosly, I'm not at the meetings and I dunno, smells like a Greenwood insurance policy to me. I think he's close to coming to term on the contract. If the demands are too high, Diles makes a good crow bar. Bring the kid in slowly, work him in from Special teams and into the Will spot. Be a big find if the kid jumps from being a 7th rounder into pushing for a back up spot.

Toal was the star at LB for the demond deacons. Not Abbante. They've given him more than a fair shot to stick with the team. They like him and that's half the battle for a roster spot. He's blue collar and he brings a great desire to the table. He will never be a front line stater at this level.

infantrycak
08-03-2007, 10:47 AM

He is backing up and getting reps at both MLB and WLB.

real
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
I would litterally go cart wheels if Diles could up-root Morlon...

It shouldn't be too hard, cuz Greenwood ain't all that...

Mr teX
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM

have to cosign this.....

DieselDeac
08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Toal was the star at LB for the demond deacons. Not Abbante. They've given him more than a fair shot to stick with the team. They like him and that's half the battle for a roster spot. He's blue collar and he brings a great desire to the table. He will never be a front line stater at this level.

Abbate went to Wake. Toal still goes to Boston College, and might miss the season with a shoulder injury.

The coaches speak highly of Abbate's future in the NFL at fullback.

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Maybe I am not understand what you are saying, about Abbate. He will never be a front line starter at what position LB? Yeah because they moved him to fullback, and the coaches have been raving about the transition and how he is learning on the fly at a very fast pace and has a good chance to be the backup.

So with that said he does have all the chance in the world to be a front line starter if he is the backup and Leach goes down, he would be the starter.

Lucky
08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
The coaches speak highly of Abbate's future in the NFL at fullback.
Abbate looked like a natural catching passes out of the backfield, last night. Caught the ball on the move and fluidly turned up field. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Someone get pete some coffee. :coffee:

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM

I've never been a Greenwood supporter, but I have to admit he looks good so far in camp. Possibly some D-Ryans rubbing off on him.:d:

He shaved his head too.

Abbate looked like a natural catching passes out of the backfield, last night. Caught the ball on the move and fluidly turned up field. I was very pleasantly surprised.

He snagged a ball for a TD on a little out pattern during goal line O and he looked natural doing it.

IMO, Cook is gone.:texflag:

real
08-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Toal was the star at LB for the demond deacons. Not Abbante.

Wow, you have no clue what you're talking about...

edit: I see someone else already caught it...

real
08-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I've never been a Greenwood supporter, but I have to admit he looks good so far in camp. Possibly some D-Ryans rubbing off on him.:d:

He shaved his head too.

Yeah, from all the reports I've heard Greenwood looks good...I hope he is doing good...He says he is playing more physical, but I will have to see it to believe it...

TigerV1
08-03-2007, 12:36 PM

This is awesome news. I really like Abbate and would love to see him on this team. His character, his work ethic, and his talent are needed on this team. He may not have all the physical gifts as some of the "stars" in the NFL, but I am willing to bet if given the chance he can make an impact.

V Man
08-03-2007, 12:45 PM
He is backing up and getting reps at both MLB and WLB.

I guess he couldn't play SLB. Since that position is weaker than the two he backs up.. But anyway, if he continues, looks like Morlon could be looking for a job next year.

Specnatz
08-03-2007, 01:07 PM

I had some serious worries after the FB Anderson was cut because I figured it ment cook was here.

Now all this good info on Abbate means less cook, which can only help the Texans in the long run.

barberman
08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I had some serious worries after the FB Anderson was cut because I figured it ment cook was here.

Now all this good info on Abbate means less cook, which can only help the Texans in the long run.

Ditto your opinion on Cook, He`s toast, well done and out of here as he has 0% chance of making this team with Leach starting and Abatte backing up.

Matt
08-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I still think Greenwood is incredibly underrated on this board. Dude had a very nice season last year. In the last three years, he's played in a 3-4/4-3 hybrid (Mia), a 3-4 (Hou) and a 4-3 (Hou). And he's put up good numbers in all of them. Plus, he and DeMeco play well together according to both of them and some of the coaches.

Now, if Diles could play Sam... then we'd be on to something.

Porky
08-03-2007, 05:03 PM
To be honest, I didn't even think Diles would make the team. I thought he would be lucky to stick on the PS. So this indeed is a pleasant suprise. But, camp is not games. Let's hope he can carry it through, because having solid backups can only help.

It's beginning to look like once again Kubes has struck gold with another great draft haul. Time will tell, but all the picks look at least competent, and a couple could be steals, like Diles. Keep up this, and next year, we will be a force. :pirate:

mexican_texan
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I haven't heard any bad news about any of Kubes' draft picks.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I still remember Mel Kiper talking up Diles when we drafted him saying he thought he was a top 5 middle linebacker and a steal for the Texans.

kiwitexansfan
08-03-2007, 06:30 PM
If Diles can eventually beat out Greenwood, that would be a huge cap saving if we can cut him.

I also love players who are drafted making it big, it is the sign of a healthy franchise.

Errant Hothy
08-03-2007, 06:32 PM
If Diles can eventually beat out Greenwood, that would be a huge cap saving if we can cut him.

I also love players who are drafted making it big, it is the sign of a healthy franchise.

I'm fairly sure it'll cost more to cut Greenwood then to keep him...I think.

Insideop
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I still think Greenwood is incredibly underrated on this board. Dude had a very nice season last year. In the last three years, he's played in a 3-4/4-3 hybrid (Mia), a 3-4 (Hou) and a 4-3 (Hou). And he's put up good numbers in all of them. Plus, he and DeMeco play well together according to both of them and some of the coaches.

Now, if Diles could play Sam... then we'd be on to something.

Thanks Matt. Finally someone who sees what I see in Greenwood, a good solid player who has produced. I think most of the "Greenwood haters" are going to be very disappointed because Morlon isn't going to be cut from this team anytime soon. He is a hard worker, and Kubes likes him alot from what I've read. Is he better than DeMeco? No, but he was pretty good last season, and according to an article I read a few days ago (in the Chronicle I believe) he and DeMeco spent alot of time together after practice (during the season) watching game film and trying to improve their play.

Did we overpay for Greenwood? Probably, since we picked him up in FA when CC was here, but out of all the FA's we got during CC's tenure, I think Greenwood has produced the most. If you look at his numbers from last year they are pretty solid, and compare favorably with others in the league including players like Jonathan Vilma and Tedy Bruschi.

Greenwood's numbers from 2006:

Tackles----Solo---Asst.---Sacks----FF----F. Recov.----Ints.----Pass Def.
109---------83-----26-------1------2--------3----------1---------3

He was ranked 28th in the NFL in Tackles.

Look, I'm all for Diles getting some playing time and grooming him to take over in a year or 2 if he's as good as people are saying, but to throw Greenwood under the bus just because some people have this blind hate for him doesn't make any sense. He is a solid hard working player that is going to give you all he's got. That's more than we can say about alot of other past players who have come through the Texans doors! JMHO! :texflag:

vtech9
08-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks Matt. Finally someone who sees what I see in Greenwood, a good solid player who has produced. I think most of the "Greenwood haters" are going to be very disappointed because Morlon isn't going to be cut from this team anytime soon. He is a hard worker, and Kubes likes him alot from what I've read. Is he better than DeMeco? No, but he was pretty good last season, and according to an article I read a few days ago (in the Chronicle I believe) he and DeMeco spent alot of time together after practice (during the season) watching game film and trying to improve their play.

Did we overpay for Greenwood? Probably, since we picked him up in FA when CC was here, but out of all the FA's we got during CC's tenure, I think Greenwood has produced the most. If you look at his numbers from last year they are pretty solid, and compare favorably with others in the league including players like Jonathan Vilma and Tedy Bruschi.

Greenwood's numbers from 2006:

Tackles----Solo---Asst.---Sacks----FF----F. Recov.----Ints.----Pass Def.
109---------83-----26-------1------2--------3----------1---------3

He was ranked 28th in the NFL in Tackles.

Look, I'm all for Diles getting some playing time and grooming him to take over in a year or 2 if he's as good as people are saying, but to throw Greenwood under the bus just because some people have this blind hate for him doesn't make any sense. He is a solid hard working player that is going to give you all he's got. That's more than we can say about alot of other past players who have come through the Texans doors! JMHO! :texflag:

I think that little bolded question is the reason most people are down on him. From what I have gathered from the boards is that people would love to see Greenwood EARN the amount of money he is being paid, but so far he hasn't. I think most people believe Morlon should be putting up numbers like Ryans did last year to justify the amount of money he is being paid.

kiwitexansfan
08-04-2007, 12:47 AM
The overpaid question is definitely what turns people against him.

He is held to unrealistic standards because he is one of the highest paid players. He is solid and productive but doesn't make the impact the kind of money he gets paid demands.

Carr Bombed
08-04-2007, 04:05 AM
He is overpaid, but as long as we have the cap space to pay him and as long as he does his job, makes plays, and helps us win, I don't care how much he gets paid.

This team doesn't have enought talent and depth to just "throw players away", because of how much they make.

TK_Gamer
08-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I like greenwood, I think he will be our "will" for quite some time, it's the sam we need to establish, the run stopper. I hope Diles can be that guy but he seems like a will also so far. your sam has GOT to get in the backfield and get the big hit on the RB our sam LB's allows seem to be chasing the RB down from behind. I think its one of our weaknesses of our defense. If we had some one strong enough in the middle, Ryans could play sam quite well I think. I guess we just have to wait and see who steps up in preseason.

jdog
08-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I like Greenwood. We need more players like him. He's a professional. Maybe some of the other players should consider becoming as professional as Greenwood in order to possibly make the big bucks.

I wonder if Babin would be an upgrade for us at sam line backer.

HJam72
08-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I like Greenwood. We need more players like him. He's a professional. Maybe some of the other players should consider becoming as professional as Greenwood in order to possibly make the big bucks.

You mean like Demeco Ryans? :cool:

Greenwood is OK, and we need him right now, but he's over-paid.

whiskeyrbl
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
If Diles pans out anything like DeMeco we are going to have a very physical, fast front 7 for years to come. The days of being the whipping boys of the NFL are coming to a close( very quickly).:d:

jdog
08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
You mean like Demeco Ryans? :cool:

Greenwood is OK, and we need him right now, but he's over-paid.

If Ryans keeps playing at this level, he will definitely be making those big bucks when it's time for a new contract.

I just looked at the unofficial salary information, and all I can is, "wow." I didn't know that Greenwood was the second highest paid player.

Well, it's not his fault that we bent over for him.

Matt
08-04-2007, 03:22 PM
He is overpaid, but as long as we have the cap space to pay him and as long as he does his job, makes plays, and helps us win, I don't care how much he gets paid.

This team doesn't have enought talent and depth to just "throw players away", because of how much they make.

Exactly. And he's one of our highest paid because he's a veteran who has performed in the past. There is no sin in paying him so long as we are not in cap hell and he is still turning in 100 tackle seasons.

Matt
08-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Depends on how we are going to use the sam, I guess. In the same way that Orr is the better pass rusher but Anderson is the better all-around LB, Babin would be a fine blitzing LB. Unfortunately, he can't backpedal worth a darn.

aj.
08-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Babin is totally unimpressive to me. He spent more time this morning at the water cooler and throwing little tantrums than beating backup offensive tackles.

As far as LB, Orr's days may be numbered based on what we're seeing from Zac. This might be a little gamesmanship by Kubiak but Johnny seems to really like 54. Diles plays low and has a nose for the ball.

Barber and Orr weren't dressed today. Neither were Andre Davis and Frye who's rapidly falling down the list of guys with a shot to make the 53..

I think (linebacker) Charlie Anderson's really separated himself. When you look at the linebacker group, you look at Morlon (Greenwood), you look at DeMeco (Ryans) and you look at Charlie. Then right away you go Zach Diles, and you go to Danny Clark. Shawn (Barber) is missing time, but Shawn looked good. You look at those six, and chances are you're going to keep six. Those guys have kind of distinguished themselves day in and day out. - Kubiak today after practice.

I loved the defensive intensity today. The DBs were laying the wood to people and the there was a lot of talking going on between units, especially after Wynn knocked Putz out.

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I loved the defensive intensity today. The DBs were laying the wood to people and the there was a lot of talking going on between units, especially after Wynn knocked Putz out.

They certainly were. However, due to this being my first TC my first thought was "that sounds great, but there was no wrapping of anyone," as it would be in game speed. I just hope what I saw today was not a head fake in an all thunder and no lightning type way.

aj.
08-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I think wrapping up was about the last thing that Wynn needed to worry about on that hit... ( I think Putz would agree)

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoyed the attitude brought by the DBs today. I'm the biggest skeptic, but with as much pissing and moaning around here about the secondary, among other things, it was nice to see them come together and rip some in-your-face stuff for a change.

Nick and staff have one of their better video recaps up on ht.com:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=1568&play_clip=Y

ObsiWan
08-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more. So you want to cut a solid player (who else has 100+ tackles besides DeMeco?) because he had a good enough agent to "get paid". And replace him with what? Some bargain basement schmuck? No thanks.

If someone beats him out, Kubiak won't hesitate to demote him - and Rick Smith will probably find a team that would give up a pick for him.

So far that hasn't happened yet. The fact that we were "fat" at LB (compared to other positions) but Kubiak picked up Diles anyway, tells me no man's job is safe.

ObsiWan
08-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Babin is totally unimpressive to me. He spent more time at the water cooler and throwing little tantrums than beating backup offensive tackles.

As far as LB, Orr's days may be numbered based on what we're seeing from Zac. This might be a little gamesmanship by Kubiak but Johnny seems to really like 54. Diles plays low and has a nose for the ball.

Barber and Orr weren't dressed today. Neither were Andre Davis and Frye who's rapidly falling down the list of guys with a shot to make the 53..

Yeah, me too. Most running plays were totally shut down. And I mean by gang tackling.

And on the Putzier hit, it didn't look like he got popped that hard. But it took them 2-3 minutes to roll him off the field ;o)

D-Rob still shuts down everything on his side. He seems to be playing like a man on a mission. And the other DBs are picking up that attitude.

aj.
08-04-2007, 08:59 PM
And on the Putzier hit, it didn't look like he got popped that hard. .

You mean the one when he laid motionless on the ground for several seconds after the hit, gasping for air, amid the explosion of smack from the db corps on the side, and the hysterics from Bayless? Ok.

jdog
08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I like what Ahman Green said at the end of the latest camp video. It sounded like he's sick of playing against our defense. I like how he threw Dunta in there when listing the guys he was sick of seeing, and he said it with what sounded like a lot of respect.

threetoedpete
08-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, from all the reports I've heard Greenwood looks good...I hope he is doing good...He says he is playing more physical, but I will have to see it to believe it...

Watched them five games last year. Watched them three times in '06. I stand by what I posted. Abante is not exceptionally fast, quick or strong. He is not a front line NFL LB. He is a bear for effort. He may stick as a brother Bill Bates /Steve Tasker guy. But he will never, ever, be a front line strater. Not at FB. Not at LB. And Yes Brain Toal is the better prospect of the two. Just as Dan Conner will be a better pro than Paul Posluszny. Just as McCargo, if they ever get him healthy, will be better player than TJ.