PDA

View Full Version : Chronic: Travis Johnson heeds warning

TexanSam
08-01-2007, 02:13 AM
In the offseason, coach Gary Kubiak called in defensive tackle Travis Johnson and told him the Texans staff was not happy with his work ethic or his conditioning, and if the former No. 1 pick wanted to be part of this season's team he would have to change his approach.

Kubiak got Johnson's attention.

"They said they weren't pleased with the way I was working, so I figured I'd just take it back to the old school, take it back to what got me here," Johnson, 25, said. "So while everyone else was still drooling on the pillow, I got up at 4:30, got to the stadium at 5 and started working. And I'm still working.

"He stood out like a man among boys," Franklin said. "I saw this article about him in the paper, so I cut it out and mailed it to him. I wrote on it, 'You're playing too high. You have to get your pads down.' But the corrections I made then are the same ones I'm making now."

I'm glad to hear he's working harder but I think the tone of the article still makes it seem kind of apparent that he's not what the Texans expected him to be. I get the impression than Johnson thinks he's much better than he really is, but that might just be me.

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5017185.html)

aj.
08-01-2007, 06:59 AM
In the offseason, coach Gary Kubiak called in defensive tackle Travis Johnson and told him the Texans staff was not happy with his work ethic or his conditioning, and if the former No. 1 pick wanted to be part of this season's team he would have to change his approach

Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, we have our annual "coaches warn TJ or else" article ... because just like last year, he appears fat, lazy, sluggish, unmotivated and this year I'll add a new word: stiff

But yeah, he's working hard to improve.

Malloy
08-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, we have our annual "coaches warn TJ or else" article ... because just like last year, he appears fat, lazy, sluggish, unmotivated and this year I'll add a new word: stiff

He works hard to improve EVERY year... just too bad he lets it all go as soon as the season is over :I

HJam72
08-01-2007, 08:19 AM
He'll get in shape when he gets cut and can't afford the food anymore. :)

Texans_Chick
08-01-2007, 08:57 AM

But you see, John McClain likes him because he's personable and a good quote.:cool:

ObsiWan
08-01-2007, 09:03 AM
But you see, John McClain likes him because he's personable and a good quote.:cool:

...and they have the same basic shape
:)

Porky
08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
...and they have the same basic shape
:)

Don't insult McClain like that. :splits:

Errant Hothy
08-01-2007, 09:54 AM
So we're all paying no this no atention, or just writing it off as McClain dribble?

On defense, the linemen will rotate, but when everyone's healthy, Mario Williams and Anthony Weaver will start at end. Anthony Maddox and Amobi Okoye will start at tackle. Johnson is putting heat on Maddox.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/2007/07/center_lb_jobs.html

nunusguy
08-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I dunno but I gotta wonder if Kubiak & Co. would be less critical of TJ and more into being apologists like they are with Mario if TJ had also been their pick ?

ObsiWan
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
So we're all paying no this no atention, or just writing it off as McClain dribble?

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/2007/07/center_lb_jobs.html

There's no "Stop the Presses" stuff to get excited about in there.
Its just a status report.

Errant Hothy
08-01-2007, 10:09 AM
There's no "Stop the Presses" stuff to get excited about in there.
Its just a status report.

I don't know. With the way the majority of this board views TJ, the fact that he is even competing for a starting spot would/should be stop the press type news.

real
08-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I like T.J...I think if he can stay healthy and motivated he can help this team.

Marcus
08-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I still don't think he makes the team.

Mr teX
08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
The guy apparently has the skills to play at this level, you don't get to FSU & considered a consensus 1st rounder without them. I'd even go so far as to say that he has the skills to dominate. But he apparently suffers from LWS (lendale white syndrome) so named b/c lendale has by most accounts perfected it in 1 season. Suffers from LWS think that their work ethic from college will be good enough for them to dominate in the NFL like they did in college. Ordinarily, thinking this way isn't a problem, but when you don't have any type of work ethic to speak of, well you get the picture.

& even more bad news for us, it's a chronic condition, meaning don't read to much in to "breakout" seasons around contract re-up time.

gtexan02
08-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I still don't think he makes the team.

Kubiak has publically stated that TJ is pushing Maddox hard for his starter role. I dont see how you cut a guy who is practically a starter, especially when we have horrible DT injury history

real
08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I think T.J makes the team pretty easily....

HJam72
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I think T.J makes the team pretty easily....

So do I, but I don't think he'll win that starter spot back. I don't really think he wants it bad enough.

Did you ever wonder if some guys just want to make the team and sit on the bench? You don't get lifelong knee and back problems from sitting on the bench--plus it's just easier.

GP
08-01-2007, 11:38 AM

You and I had a conversation on the boards about TJ some time ago.

I ragged him pretty hard because I felt he had some sort of mental/emotional issue going on (something similar to Social Anxiety Disorder) that kept him spaced out and unplugged from "the moment."

You told me that you had met him, that he was a great guy who did something special for a person in need, etc.

Just curious about where you think he's at now.

I read that during drills--when there's a break in the action--he's off by himself numerous times, playing the loner role again (it seems). I think he's so different (attitudinally) than mots of the other guys that it places him a little outside the ring of acceptance...and I think he isolates himself because he feels he's different than the average NFL player. And I think all this contributes to his lack of performance--He doesn't care what people think of him, he can go inside his shell and hide there if he wants to.

At the end of the day, I don't think TJ places high value on what he gets done on the football field. I think he's a guy that can easily get on with life without playing the game anymore.

How else can you describe it? I mean, the guy made it at FSU...so we know he is capable. But did the fire die a little as college ended and football became a job? I just think there's something going in in TJ that runs contrary to what an NFL player has to do/think to be a good player.

You hear what he says about himself--how he wants to be like Deacon Jones--but then it doesn't match up when you hear the coaches speak on it.

Mr. White
08-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Looks like GP's got it nailed. Sounds like the guy knows what to say to make it look like he's been busting his ass, but I don't buy it.

"They said they weren't pleased with the way I was working, so I figured I'd just take it back to the old school, take it back to what got me here," Johnson, 25, said. "So while everyone else was still drooling on the pillow, I got up at 4:30, got to the stadium at 5 and started working. And I'm still working."

"I guess that, eventually, you've got to look in the mirror and say, 'I'm the one that's causing me to not do these things. The only person that can stop Travis is Travis.' "

You don't tear muscles by staying in shape over the offseason. Especially with a new coaching staff coming in.

The coaches didn't want a repeat of last season when Johnson suffered a torn calf muscle in the preseason and another in the regular season, causing him to miss the last seven games.

NEWSFLASH: Some guys play pro football for the paycheck.

nunusguy
08-01-2007, 11:52 AM
How else can you describe it? I mean, the guy made it at FSU...so we know he is capable. But did the fire die a little as college ended and football became a job? I just think there's something going in in TJ that runs contrary to what an NFL player has to do/think to be a good player.
You hear what he says about himself--how he wants to be like Deacon Jones--but then it doesn't match up when you hear the coaches speak on it.
He made it at FSU his senior year, as he was just a one-year starter.
Those kinda guys make me nervous, the one's who have a more abbreviated college resume. In comparison, I think DeMeco was a 3-year starter at 'Bama, and that's in the SEC, the closest thing to the NFL in college.
That's what I call solid credentials.
And the guys used medication for some kind of behavioral problem in the past. Mood swings or whatever ?
It seems to me that the Texans inclination almost might be to search for a
reason to cut TJ ? He wasn't their pick, and by letting him go it frees up cap space for the new regime over the longer term for "their own".

real
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM

I ragged him pretty hard because I felt he had some sort of mental/emotional issue going on (something similar to Social Anxiety Disorder) that kept him spaced out and unplugged from "the moment."

You told me that you had met him, that he was a great guy who did something special for a person in need, etc.

I read that during drills--when there's a break in the action--he's off by himself numerous times, playing the loner role again (it seems). I think he's so different (attitudinally) than mots of the other guys that it places him a little outside the ring of acceptance...and I think he isolates himself because he feels he's different than the average NFL player. And I think all this contributes to his lack of performance--He doesn't care what people think of him, he can go inside his shell and hide there if he wants to.

At the end of the day, I don't think TJ places high value on what he gets done on the football field. I think he's a guy that can easily get on with life without playing the game anymore.

I didn't know you knew TJ...

Is he your cousin or sumthin :um:

HOU-TEX
08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
He made it at FSU his senior year, as he was just a one-year starter.
Those kinda guys make me nervous, the one's who have a more abbreviated college resume. In comparison, I think DeMeco was a 3-year starter at 'Bama, and that's in the SEC, the closest thing to the NFL in college.
That's what I call solid credentials.
And the guys used medication for some kind of behavioral problem in the past. Mood swings or whatever ?
It seems to me that the Texans inclination almost might be to search for a
reason to cut TJ ? He wasn't their pick, and by letting him go it frees up cap space for the new regime over the longer term for "their own".

Travis may not have started every game, but he started 8 games his Sophmore year, started the opener as Freshman playing in 11 games. IIRC, he entered the draft after his Junior season having plenty of experience.

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_travis00.html

He started 21 of 51 games he played in. In other words, he just hasn't translated well to the NFL.:texflag:

beerlover
08-01-2007, 12:26 PM
my take.

drafted to play in a 3-4 by another GM.

forget about being selected in the 1st rd. thats history, but if he wants to stick with this team he needs to restructure his contract to reflect his value as a rotational lineman & not a premium starter.

I'm betting that he doesnt & if not is traded or a cap casualty, maybe returning to Florida (Miami) to finish his NFL career DOM style.

Double Barrel
08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I dunno but I gotta wonder if Kubiak & Co. would be less critical of TJ and more into being apologists like they are with Mario if TJ had also been their pick ?

I really doubt Kubiak and Smith would have used a first round pick on TJ. He's a Casserly choice, which is probably another mark against him.

I hope he get it in gear, just for the simple fact that I hate seeing our first round picks blow up in our face. We don't have the luxury of depth, so losing any of our high round picks is always detrimental to the cause.

I've never been impressed with the guy, though.

Texans_Chick
08-01-2007, 01:16 PM

My take. I think it is difficult to psychoanalyze people by watching them in random practices. Or reading random snippets in the paper from someone who likes him but is frustrated by his repeated injuries.

In person, he is a very chatty amicable person. He is someone who was one of the top schoolboy recruits, and in some ways hasn't developed past that. As I mentioned in my recent dline article, he has hadn't had the best mentors, and to go further than that, he was picked first round and then pretty much handed a job like what the Texans typically did in the past.

Clearly he cares about what people think of him, that's more what that article was about than his play on the field.

The Texans have little controversial to talk about, so anyone that isn't completely onboard is going to be talked about more.

I hope the 5:00am workouts actually translates to something on the field. He's a Texan, and I hope the best stuff works out for him.

Spike
08-01-2007, 01:45 PM
One of the weaknesses of the previous regime that is not often discussed was not just their failure to select the right players int he draft, but develop these players once they were on the squad. Based on that alone, I am willing to give TJ one more full season to prove his value. All indications are that he is pushing to make the starting line-up, so he must be playing well. Either way, he should have the opportunity to demonstrate this renewed commitment on the field this season - whether as a starter or the third DT off the bench.

The bigger thing I took from this article as the approach that our coaching staff is taking with the players. As important as it is to bring in new guys to upgrade talent and depth, you can more efficiently improve the team by "salvaging" the players we have on the squad. We have a much stronger d-line if he can play up to (or close to) original expectations. I like the direct and honest approach that Kubes and Smith are taking with these guys to challenge them...as opposed to just casting them off.

Notice was served with Carr. If you can't get the job done, you are out.

Marcus
08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't think he makes the team.

Oh, did I said that already? Well, I'm sticking to it.

The head coach has to call in a player taken in the first round, a player making first round money, and like nunusguy said, a first rounder making first round money that wasn't taken by said head coach, during the offseason to give him a motivational speech???

If y'all can't see what's wrong with that picture, and from that picture, see what's coming . . . Well, all I gotta say is . . . watch and learn.

Like someone else said, this is chronic. He doesn't have the "want to". Right now . . RIGHT NOW, he has the "have to", which will wear off quickly.

aj.
08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I hope the 5:00am workouts actually translates to something on the field. .

What it's translated to so far is a 12:30 after-lunch nap.

Lucky
08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
forget about being selected in the 1st rd. thats history, but if he wants to stick with this team he needs to restructure his contract to reflect his value as a rotational lineman & not a premium starter.
Johnson makes the minimum salary for a 3rd year player. You can't restructure a signing bonus that's already been given. Plus, he's one of those guys who cost more to cut than to keep (like Jason Babin). Travis will really have to stink it up to get cut from this team. Not that it's impossible...

nunusguy
08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
drafted to play in a 3-4 by another GM.

That right there is what's puzzling about him being picked by the Texans
back then, because everything I've read about TJ was that he was always
identified as a 4-3 one-gap type lineman.
BTW Beerlover, I owe you an apology about your take on Levis value. You always thought we should have drafted him if he lasted to #10 (or #8 before the Schaub trade) and I didn't think he was worth that high of a pick, and then the guy goes #5. You saw his value and I didn't, good call.

gtexan02
08-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think he makes the team.

Oh, did I said that already? Well, I'm sticking to it.

The head coach has to call in a player taken in the first round, a player making first round money, and like nunusguy said, a first rounder making first round money that wasn't taken by said head coach, during the offseason to give him a motivational speech???

If y'all can't see what's wrong with that picture, and from that picture, see what's coming . . . Well, all I gotta say is . . . watch and learn.

Like someone else said, this is chronic. He doesn't have the "want to". Right now . . RIGHT NOW, he has the "have to", which will wear off quickly.

The penalty we suffer for cutting him is higher than the salary savings. Remind me again why we'd cut him? He's also a young DT on a team with ZERO DT depth. We have Okoye, and then a street FA, and a very seasoned vet and thats about it.

DT is a position with a huge learning curve. On 610 this morning, the "voice" of the jaguars came on and talked about the development of Okoye. He said that when Stroud came into the league, he was pegged as a bust by the entire team/fanbase/coaching staff. He worked a little harder, and midway through his second season, he "got it" and turned into what he is today.

Give TJ a little more time. Last year was his first year in our 4-3 defense, and it takes a while to adjust to changes and new positions.

To cut a 25 year old 1st round draft choice DT after 2 seasons of disapointing play even if it costs you money rather than saves you money is crazy in my opinion, and I HOPE the Texans don't make that mistake

Vega
08-01-2007, 02:26 PM
To cut a 25 year old 1st round draft choice DT after 2 seasons of disapointing play even if it costs you money rather than saves you money is crazy in my opinion, and I HOPE the Texans don't make that mistake

I agree. Especially considering he was injured for most of that second year. I would say that he better step up to the plate this year and it's time to show why you were a first round pick, but I think it's a bit too early to make a definitive decision on him.

If we have the same questions after the season (or even about mid way) then we can label him a bust.

V3rm0nt3r
08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I thought they would give Carr one more year to learn the offence but they cut him one year in so I think that Johnson should keep an eye on the market and get an idea of who's looking for a less than average starter or a good backup DT.

Johnson is only 25 but still... a pick from the last coach should keep an eye out.

TK_Gamer
08-02-2007, 03:57 AM
what is really sad is, on this board it won't really matter much if TJ works hard and wins the starting spot. He has allready been tagged a bust by most here and they will be just waiting for one bad play to say "same old TJ" I wish him the best.

Carr Bombed
08-02-2007, 04:11 AM
I wish him the best too, him and Babin didn't exactly come into the best situation.

Babin drafted to be a 3-4 OLB

and

TJ drafted to be a 3-4 DE

Speaking of Babin, I'm actually surprised the new staff gave him a chance to stick around. He has been more productive as a DE than I thought he would.

If TK can turn his career around, Houston would have one of the leagues best Dlines without a doubt.

Having said that I"m not holding my breath.

Malloy
08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Did you ever wonder if some guys just want to make the team and sit on the bench? You don't get lifelong knee and back problems from sitting on the bench--plus it's just easier.

That's what our former QB said :)

BattleRedToro
08-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Especially considering he was injured for most of that second year.

And he had very few opportunities to play in his first year, because he was a rookie behind a Pro Bowler and an experienced Veteran. I think he really hurt himself with Texans fans with his bad attitude in Training Camp his first year.I hope he plays much better this year and into the future.

nunusguy
08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
what is really sad is, on this board it won't really matter much if TJ works hard and wins the starting spot. He has allready been tagged a bust by most here and they will be just waiting for one bad play to say "same old TJ" I wish him the best.
Fans tend to get down on players who are talented, multi millionaire underacheivers.
The players we really like and support are those like DeMeco Ryans - talented overacheivers.

real
08-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Texans update and excerpt from my football newsletter

Texans Update
Amobi Okoye (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/okoye_amobi) is finding out that life with the grown-ups is a little tougher than he probably expected. As one source tells it, Okoye was having some trouble remembering what to do in some of the drills on Wednesday morning and defensive coordinator Richard Smith jumped him (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/images/PICTURE_scout135.gif) and made a comment that he better keep his nose in the playbook. Then, after continuing to make mistakes during practice, he was yanked out of the rotation and Travis Johnson replaced him.
No need to panic, Texan fans. This will happen from time to time with rookies, but you hope that he has the maturity to take the butt chewing and make the necessary improvements.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2007/08/texans_update_and_excerpt_from.html

Specnatz
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM

where did you pull this out of?

No one I have sen is apologizing for Mario. But hey yeah a rookie should be more like a guy going into his 4th season who has yet to do diddly poo.

It does not matter who's pick it was or not. I am sorry but this statement is just dumb imo.

Maddict5
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
where did you pull this out of?

No one I have sen is apologizing for Mario. But hey yeah a rookie should be more like a guy going into his 4th season who has yet to do diddly poo.

It does not matter who's pick it was or not. I am sorry but this statement is just dumb imo.

its travis' 3rd yr- for some reason alot of people seem to think its his 4th though... thats why im giving him this yr-

yr 1.. 3-4 DE
yr 2.. started badly in TC and got injured early
yr 3.. ??

Beer and Metal
08-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I wonder if TJ's meds need adjusting.

Doesn't he suffer from ADD or some other acronymn?

gtexan02
08-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Alright, now this has gone too far. Medication?

There is no scrutinizing necessary here. He has the size, he has the talent. Does he have the desire? Thats the only question

If you want to try and psychoanalyze him or diagnose him with some sort of neurological impairments, be my guest, but I doubt its going to make any difference.

He played 1 year in a 3-4 behind players. He wasn't intended to start year 1.
Then he spent most of last year learning the switch to the 4-3 or being injured.

This is basically a new year for him. he is having a very GOOD camp. Read the articles on houstontexans.com if you want. People will say he didn't look good, or doesn't seem ready, etc, but I will take the coaches word for it above fans at this point.

TJ is an easy target, so people watch that one play and make comments.

Ill wait and see how he does this year. If he plays hard, thats all that matters. If he doesn't, or if he looks totally lost, it'll be apparent and I doubt they bring him back next year

badboy
08-02-2007, 01:52 PM

There is no scrutinizing necessary here. He has the size, he has the talent. Does he have the desire? Thats the only question

If you want to try and psychoanalyze him or diagnose him with some sort of neurological impairments, be my guest, but I doubt its going to make any difference.

Then he spent most of last year learning the switch to the 4-3 or being injured.

This is basically a new year for him. he is having a very GOOD camp. Read the articles on houstontexans.com if you want. People will say he didn't look good, or doesn't seem ready, etc, but I will take the coaches word for it above fans at this point.

Ill wait and see how he does this year. If he plays hard, thats all that matters. If he doesn't, or if he looks totally lost, it'll be apparent and I doubt they bring him back next year

If Kubes thought TJ's main concern was 3-4 in first year or injuries last year he would have said so. TJ said management had a problem with how he prepared himself. This is an attitude problem and per the article may be fixed. I will be optimistic as a healthy gung ho TJ can only be a boost for the team.

Beer and Metal
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm not trying to knock the guy, but it was reported that he takes meds for ADD/ADHD.
If you've ever known anyone who took medication for this, you'd understand where I'm coming from.

I haven't given up on him, and hope he becomes the Deacon Jones acolyte I think he could be.

gtexan02
08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I think what people are forgetting most of all is that DT is a hard position to get. I heard on 610 yesterday that many of the great DTs have spent a year or two struggling before they "get it"

Lets hope TJ is like that.

Unfortunately, even if he's really talented, because pro DT is a tough position, it just means hes all the more likely to fail if he doesnt have the desire

Heath Shuler
08-02-2007, 04:00 PM

2004: It was reported during spring drills that Johnson takes medication for attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyper disorder (ADHD)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/johnson_travis

disaacks3
08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
NFL.com 2005 Draft analysis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/johnson_travis)

"Some teams might be concerned about the lack of consistency he showed during his first four years with the FSU program."

"He was placed on medication prior to 2004 to help him battle attention deficit disorder"

"According to Johnson's coaches, the outgoing player is finally living up to his press clippings. He shows very active hands and excellent explosion coming off the snap. He is a quick-twitch type than gets into the offensive lineman quickly, generating good upper-body power behind his hand punch to gain separation. In the past, he showed marginal field instincts, but possibly due to the medication, Johnson was able to quickly read and react to the plays, especially showing alertness diagnosing the screen."

My "take" on TJ...

- We drafted this guy in the First round, we expected him to compete for a job in Year ONE.

- Maybe he needs his meds re-adjusted, maybe he's made his $$$ signing bonus and has no motivation, maybe the "talk" from Kubes will help...bottom line is all this extra effort from others shouldn't be necessary

- He still looks like he's off in his own little world at practice. I don't think that him literally running off away from the rest of the Defense during a break is what the coaches had in mind.

- Comparisons in ANY way to Mario are a joke - different position, different responsibilities & I've never seen ANYBODY on the Texans D-Line dominate like Mario can (at least during a practice).

- Despite everything NOT accomplished / shown thus far, I really HOPE for the best. I'm pulling for him to do well, not waiting (or wanting) for him to fail.

treygar
08-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I agree in that I want TJ to impress - I honestly see him as nothing more than a solid bench player DT who can make a few plays a year and not enough mistakes to keep him in the league for 10 years. his path will probably follow the same as Zgonina's.

Carr Bombed
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
not only that, but alot of people stop taking their meds. Some people feel that taking meds makes them different and some what of a freak, so they simply stop taking them. I know because I had this problem with ADD and in the end I just stopped taking the damn meds, for better or worse I don't care. I didn't feel comfortable with having to digest chemicals to "balance" me out.

So if I was a betting man, I would bet TJ isn't even on his meds.