PDA

View Full Version : Coach Marciano on Mathis

badboy
07-30-2007, 05:17 PM
610 radio has Coach M. discussing Jerome. tidbits: Coaches like him. He has made every practice. When healthy, better than others. He appears to be healthy. Very competitve. When asked if kicks and punts may be an overload, Coach said maybe but did not develop this. Also was asked about punter. He replied that the veteran is the guy and mentioned his stats. "We adjusted his approach to correct his misses." I was on telephone and missed some of what he said.

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Also was asked about punter. He replied that the veteran is the guy and mentioned his stats.

Nooooooooo :(

Brando
07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
610 radio has Coach M. discussing Jerome. tidbits: Coaches like him. He has made every practice. When healthy, better than others. He appears to be healthy. Very competitve. When asked if kicks and punts may be an overload, Coach said maybe but did not develop this. Also was asked about punter. He replied that the veteran is the guy and mentioned his stats. "We adjusted his approach to correct his misses." I was on telephone and missed some of what he said.

I heard that the punters are neck and neck as far as the competition goes. So Chad still has a chance.

HoustonFrog
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I heard that the punters are neck and neck as far as the competition goes. So Chad still has a chance.

McClain this morning said Turk really has looked good. They did goal line drill where they are backed up to the back of the endzone and Turn allegedly hit 2-3 60 yarders and his one "shank" was 45 yards. So we shall see.

YoungTexanFan
07-30-2007, 06:29 PM
McClain this morning said Turk really has looked good. They did goal line drill where they are backed up to the back of the endzone and Turn allegedly hit 2-3 60 yarders and his one "shank" was 45 yards. So we shall see.

That shank is further than Stanley can boot it period.

maddogmrb
07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Stanley dreams of kicking a 45 yard punt with hang time.

sakebomb
07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Stanley's days are numbered. We need to find someone that can boot that ball.

mexican_texan
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
I kicked a 45 yarder with 5 seconds air time yesterday with a soccer ball on a muddy field.

HJam72
07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
#1 Punter--Turk

#2 Punter --Mexican Texan :fans:

GP
07-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, in terms of what he said about Stanley being the guy...I would say that Marciano is a very nice guy.

He's playing politics and trying to accomodate the incumbent punter.

But all I hear from posters who are at camp, reporting to us each day, is that Turk is booming the ball. :cowboy1:

At the end of the day, surely the coaches can see what we see?

:texflag:

DBCooper
07-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, in terms of what he said about Stanley being the guy...I would say that Marciano is a very nice guy.

He said the veteran was the guy.

Did he mean the Texans veteran or the older player?

badboy
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM

Did he mean the Texans veteran or the older player?He was refering to Stanley as the veteran. The overall impression I got (with one ear on radio and the other on the telephone conversation) was that Stanley is still the man and Mathis is going to be on the final roster as of the time of the interview. To be honest, while I am a Mathis booster, other posts have me thinking Jerome is a lame duck pro bowler. I remember looking around at my radio thinking, "that coach just indicated Mathis is in the lead as long as he remains healthy". Again, that was my impresssion. It seemed to have taken the 610 guys by surprise also as one of them then asked if Marciano thought punts and kicks were too much for Mathis.

Speaking to the punter issue, you guys and Turk can kick 60 yarders all day, but Marciano knows how Stanley does when 11 guys are trying to dismember him in a real game. I hear the frustration but barring Stanley falling apart in TC, I do not anticipate a change.

eriadoc
07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm more concerned about Kris Brown than I am about Stanley. Stanley had a bad year last year, but he has done very well in the past. Brown has had a very poor run of three years now, but he made one critical boot vs. Indy, so he gets a pass. WTF, over?

infantrycak
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Speaking to the punter issue, you guys and Turk can kick 60 yarders all day, but Marciano knows how Stanley does when 11 guys are trying to dismember him in a real game. I hear the frustration but barring Stanley falling apart in TC, I do not anticipate a change.

Like Turk and his three pro-bowls doesn't know how to kick in a real game?

Marcus
07-31-2007, 01:09 PM
At the end of the day, surely the coaches can see what we see?

:texflag:

OH MY GOD! :shocked Pulease tell me you didn't say that. You've been a poster on this MB for how long now, and you still would utter those words????

:gathering:

badboy
07-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Like Turk and his three pro-bowls doesn't know how to kick in a real game?My point was Marciano has worked with Stanley. I think most incumbants have an edge.

real
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
My point was Marciano has worked with Stanley. I think most incumbants have an edge.

Even if the incumbant sucks ?

GP
07-31-2007, 02:57 PM

Did he mean the Texans veteran or the older player?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe Marciano should run for President.

ccdude730
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
i think everyone is already looking at turk to win the spot over chad. marciano might not want to see it, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out we need someone who can punt the ball further and with more hangtime. someone above marciano will override his decision if he decides to keep chad.

as for mathis, i think he will probably get hurt before the season starts.

DBCooper
07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
i think everyone is already looking at turk to win the spot over chad. marciano might not want to see it, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out we need someone who can punt the ball further and with more hangtime. someone above marciano will override his decision if he decides to keep chad.

The one thing they have always said about Stanley is his ability to stick it inside the 20. It's the sticking inside our own 20 that concerns me. lol

DieselDeac
07-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Jerome is a nasty weapon when healthy. Maybe this is the year he keeps the hammies loose.

DBCooper
07-31-2007, 03:42 PM
During camp has anyone seen other players returning punts and kickoffs and how have they looked?

badboy
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
31 vs 37? Is age a factor?

Runner
07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
I remember looking around at my radio thinking, "that coach just indicated Mathis is in the lead as long as he remains healthy". Again, that was my impresssion.

I think a lot of people think this way - I know I'd like to have Mathis on the team if he's healthy. The debate is if he should be cut when (sorry, I mean if) he gets hurt before the season starts. I personally wouldn't want him to take a roster spot if he isn't returning kicks almost every game. If he only plays two games or so and is still on the roster, I'll be astounded and disappointed in the personnel decision.

Errant Hothy
07-31-2007, 06:19 PM
31 vs 37? Is age a factor?

For a punter? I wouldn't think so.