PDA

View Full Version : Carr awkward but effective

Wolf
07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/07/carr-awkward-bu.html

Backup quarterback David Carr has one of the most awkward throwing motions in the NFL. More often than not, he looks like a baseball pitcher stuck somewhere between over the shoulder and sidearm. But it doesn’t really seem to impact his throws. Carr’s accuracy has been good. Coach John Fox said there are no plans to tinker with Carr’s motion as he pointed to quarterbacks like Bernie Kosar, who have had success with awkward motions.

hmm makes me wonder with the work the Texans did to correct his throwing motion did it make him worse instead of letting him be him?

Double Barrel
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
No doubt. We could've had the second coming of....Bernie Kosar! :joker:

I've read some other obvervations of Carr from the Carolina media and fans which are less than flattering, but I'm not going to bother posting them here. There's not much of a point, and it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

hobie
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Any chance we can let David go? I mean he had his time here, and good luck to him and Carolina, but to read about what others think of his game is getting old. Wish him well if you want, or not, but please, no more Carr threads, it really is getting to be old news...

Hervoyel
07-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Carr does play on an NFL team and this is the "National Football League" forum. While I'm as tired of Carr threads as the next guy I can't object to them being in here. It's where they belong.

I'll stomp them out as fast as I see them in the Texans Talk forum if they're not relevant to the team. In here though they're fine. People that don't want to see them shouldn't bother reading them. That's my advice.

Mr. White
07-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Any chance we can let David go? I mean he had his time here, and good luck to him and Carolina, but to read about what others think of his game is getting old. Wish him well if you want, or not, but please, no more Carr threads, it really is getting to be old news...

That'll happen :ok:

Doesn't bother me any. I'm still somewhat interested in how he does elsewhere in league.

I just don't have the time or the inclination to go checking up on him on Carolina's boards. I'm glad that guys like Wolf do.

Wolf
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
That'll happen :ok:

Doesn't bother me any. I'm still somewhat interested in how he does elsewhere in league.

I just don't have the time or the inclination to go checking up on him on Carolina's boards. I'm glad that guys like Wolf do.

topix.com my friend, topix.com

real
07-30-2007, 04:57 PM

hmm makes me wonder with the work the Texans did to correct his throwing motion did it make him worse instead of letting him be him?

Honestly it probably made him worse...

It just gave him one more thing to think about..

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Honestly it probably made him worse...

It just gave him one more thing to think about..

Whenever you're messing with technique like that, you get worse before you get better. BUT, you've got to keep working at it and if the technique change is the right thing to do, you can end up much better than when you started. But if you don't trust it and stop working on it, you can be totally screwed up.

I've seen this in a couple of different contexts: guitar playing and powerlifting. I think it will be the same for throwing a football.

aj.
07-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Backup quarterback David Carr has one of the most awkward throwing motions in the NFL. More often than not, he looks like a baseball pitcher stuck somewhere between over the shoulder and sidearm. But it doesn’t really seem to impact his throws. Carr’s accuracy has been good. Coach John Fox said there are no plans to tinker with Carr’s motion as he pointed to quarterbacks like Bernie Kosar, who have had success with awkward motions.

Didn't we hear this 5 years ago? (before they brought out the stepladders)

Just replace "John Fox" with Chris Palmer...

Porky
08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Coach John Fox said there are no plans to tinker with Carr’s motion as he pointed to quarterbacks like Bernie Kosar, who have had success with awkward motions.

Hilarious! LMAO.

:splits: :rofl: lol:

Wolf
08-01-2007, 09:39 PM
http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/NFL_8013___article.html/panthers_carr.html

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — When I watch David Carr on the practice field I can’t help but wonder: Who taught this kid how to throw a football?

I’ve seen Carr play a few times on television.

I covered a game between his former team, the Houston Texans, and his new team, the Carolina Panthers, a few years back at Reliant Stadium. And yet I don’t remember his throwing motion being this, well … awkward? … Unorthodox? …

“Weird,” said fullback Brad Hoover.

Yeah, weird.

I’m certainly not a quarterbacks coach, but after watching Carr throw for about 10 minutes I find my shoulder starting to ache. I think to myself, it cannot be comfortable to throw that way.

I want to take his right elbow, the one that hangs down below his ribcage, and raise it in the air, parallel with his shoulders. I want to force him to bring his arm back behind his head because it’s hard to believe he can get any velocity on the ball while throwing like shot-putter. And the follow through? Well, that’s a mess, too, his throwing hand crossing over his body instead of coming straight down like a prototypical passer. I want to tell him relief pitchers throw sidearm, not quarterbacks.

The guy makes Jake Delhomme look like a textbook passer, for goodness’ sake.

Fox likes Carr’s intangibles — things like his leadership, his accuracy and his toughness.

And he’s right.

Carr gets the ball to where it needs to be, so if it’s not broke, then why try to fix it?

Delhomme, who has never been labeled as a prototypical passer either, agrees, although he seems to privately relish in the fact he’s no longer the guy with the strange release in camp.

“Sometimes it doesn’t matter what it looks like if it gets there,” Delhomme said. “And he does throw a little sidearm but he’s very accurate and he throws a good ball.

“(San Diego’s) Philip Rivers, he learned how to throw (that way), and this kid can play. He’s a heck of a football player. Then you have some of the other ones who can drop back and boy, they look good but they can’t play dead. Can you get it done? That’s the biggest thing. And David gets it done.”

Listening to everyone talk, sometimes Carr wonders if he’s only one in the world who throws like he does. But then, he really doesn’t care.

“Hey,” he wonders aloud, “maybe that’s how you’re supposed to sling it.”

gotta love training camp

ccdude730
08-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I want to take his right elbow, the one that hangs down below his ribcage, and raise it in the air, parallel with his shoulders. I want to force him to bring his arm back behind his head because it’s hard to believe he can get any velocity on the ball while throwing like shot-putter. And the follow through? Well, that’s a mess, too, his throwing hand crossing over his body instead of coming straight down like a prototypical passer. I want to tell him relief pitchers throw sidearm, not quarterbacks.

well who taught this guy that the QBs arm is supposed to come straight down?

Lucky
08-01-2007, 10:42 PM
I covered a game between his former team, the Houston Texans, and his new team, the Carolina Panthers, a few years back at Reliant Stadium. And yet I don’t remember his throwing motion being this, well … awkward?
That's because Carr was out that game. Tony Banks played QB that day for the Texans (a 14-10 victory over the Panthers).

Kaiser Toro
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
That's because Carr was out that game. Tony Banks played QB that day for the Texans (a 14-10 victory over the Panthers).

Maybe Casserly and McNair got Carr and Banks confused as well.

Nice catch.

BattleRedToro
08-02-2007, 06:22 AM

I noticed that they said one of the most awkward and not the most awkward throwing motions in the NFL. That honor is reserved for Vince Young. While David Carr has a 3/4 Sidearm Delivery, Vince Young looks like a Cerebral Palsy victim taught him to throw. :user:

Mr teX
08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
How you deliver the ball means nothing as long as you get it there. Elway had a delivery that wasn't traditional over the top & he turned out just fine.
People can talk all they want about Kosar, but he was a good smart QB.

Plus everyone's angle of delivery drops a little when you get the pads on.

hollywood_texan
08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
It seems to me the reason Carr's delivery is talked about so much is because of the high number of batted balls.

VY has a strange motion. However, he is 3 inches taller and doesn't seem to have a problem with a high number of batted balls.

gjmac2
08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Anyone heard anything about how our former QB has looked in Panthers camp? I have been watching NFL network, but so far, I have not heard anything.

Double Barrel
08-03-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40352

Lucky
08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Here's a little camp writeup from Carolina Huddle (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/):

In 7 on 7 drills:
8 David Carr did mostly dump off passes as his receivers were covered down the field. #50 James Anderson had a nice breakup of a pass.Who'd of thunk it?

What's up with the glove?

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/igo_5964.jpg

HOU-TEX
08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Here's a little camp writeup from Carolina Huddle (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/):

Who'd of thunk it?

What's up with the glove?

He has said he doesn't like touching the centers pooper.:gun:

Lucky
08-03-2007, 11:43 AM
He has said he doesn't like touching the centers pooper.:gun:
I guess Carr and McKinney were closer than I thought.

Porky
08-03-2007, 12:52 PM
8 David Carr did mostly dump off passes as his receivers were covered down the field. #50 James Anderson had a nice breakup of a pass.

Funny how covered receivers downfield seem to follow him whereever he goes. What a coincidence. :devilpig:

hollywood_texan
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/igo_5964.jpg

This picture looks like Carr is running right outside the pocket again.

Maybe this was a designed play, but he seems to always be on the move with very little pocket presence.

Brando
08-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I noticed that they said one of the most awkward and not the most awkward throwing motions in the NFL. That honor is reserved for Vince Young. While David Carr has a 3/4 Sidearm Delivery, Vince Young looks like a Cerebral Palsy victim taught him to throw. :user:

Looks like Uncle Rico to me.......

http://www.maj.com/gallery/soonerpsycho/Fark/throwslikeunclerico2.gif

BattleRedToro
08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Looks like Uncle Rico to me.......

http://www.maj.com/gallery/soonerpsycho/Fark/throwslikeunclerico2.gif

Uncle Rico?

Brando
08-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Uncle Rico?

Thats how Uncle Rico threw in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.