PDA

View Full Version : Amobi article

Wolf
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.louisville.com/news18733842.aspx

When Louisville football is mentioned, thoughts turn to frequent first downs, big plays and plenty of points. But recent history suggests the Cardinals’ defense deserves a far bigger share of the spotlight.
Take the past two years for example. U of L’s top defenders - end Elvis Dumervil and tackle Amobi Okoye - are the ones who have made the most noise at NFL Draft time.
Okoye, who began official workouts with the Houston Texans on July 27, plans to ride his momentum to a starting spot.
“I expect a lot out of myself,” he said. “I have a lot of expectations, and the most important one would be to keep the Defensive Rookie of the Year award right here in Houston.” Last season, Texan linebacker DeMeco Ryans earned the honor.
Okoye, who turned 20 years old on June 10, was mostly known as college football’s youngest player before he leaped on to the national scene last year, following up on Dumervil’s remarkable senior season. He will be the youngest player in the NFL this year.
In 2005, Dumervil emerged as the nation’s top defensive player, making 20 sacks, forcing an NCAA record 10 fumbles, winning consensus All-America honors and claiming the Bronko Nagurski Award in the process. In 2006, Okoye led U of L to a remarkable 12-1 season and streaked toward the top of the NFL Draft charts. He was the Houston Texans’ first-round pick, the 10th selection overall.

"For being a young guy, his work ethic is phenomenal,” said Williams, the 6-7, 291-pound former N.C. State star.
Another Houston veteran, N.D. Kalu (6-3, 265, Rice) agrees.
“All that I’ve seen out of Amobi tells me he’s a special guy,” said Kalu, whose locker was purposely located adjacent to Okoye’s by team officials. “Hopefully, I’ll be a good presence for him,” he said. “Just to show him the work ethic – how even after 11 years you still have to bust your butt and try to make the team. And just to stay humble in the way you approach the game.”
Although Okoye (pictured left, 91) had considerable bargaining position, he made it clear to his agents Ian Greengross and Darin Morgan that he wanted to be signed and ready to play when preseason camp began. The contract was officially inked just a few hours before the former Cardinal star took the field for his first summer drills with the Texans.
“Some guys don’t think they have anything to prove because they were first-round picks and get all that money, but you still have to prove yourself to your teammates,” said Kalu. “That’s what training camp does. It gives you a chance to show your teammates what you’re all about.

PapaL
07-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Where is the +1 Rep for Okoye? This kid has his head screwed on right.

Double Barrel
07-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I like this kid and really look forward to his development into a good d-lineman.

But he looked small yesterday at practice, and he wasn't doing a great job of penetrating. Obviously, he has a lot to learn, and probably a 2-3 year curve before he really hits his stride. We can't lose sight of the bigger picture and shouldn't expect him to be a Pro Bowl caliber player this season. It's going to take awhile, just like Mario.

threetoedpete
07-30-2007, 07:37 PM
I like this kid and really look forward to his development into a good d-lineman.

But he looked small yesterday at practice, and he wasn't doing a great job of penetrating. Obviously, he has a lot to learn, and probably a 2-3 year curve before he really hits his stride. We can't lose sight of the bigger picture and shouldn't expect him to be a Pro Bowl caliber player this season. It's going to take awhile, just like Mario.

Won't take three years. More like three games. We'll know in three games. I believe his frist step wil give most gaurd/center folks at this level fits. As you said defending the trap , the technique & leverage, will take some time. The Chiefs will send the trap at him early and often. But they aren't going to be able to run 90 passes and block the kid one on one. No way.

maddogmrb
07-30-2007, 08:11 PM

When I watched the Sr Bowl tape of him he looks like he'll be much more effective as a DE in the NFL than a DT. He looked smallish and was easily taken out of plays by double teams and these were college players. He has a good 1-on-1 pass rush but, beyond that he looked pretty ineffective against the run and double team. I think they should put him at DE and let him develop and, in a couple of years we could have an awesome pair of DE's.

infantrycak
07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
What is with folks wanting to switch player positions? Guy called in on 610 am this afternoon and wanted to put Okoye at DE and Williams at DT. Stop the insanity.

Hottoddie
07-30-2007, 09:15 PM
But he looked small yesterday at practice, and he wasn't doing a great job of penetrating. Obviously, he has a lot to learn, and probably a 2-3 year curve before he really hits his stride.

Oh my God, he's a bust already. No way the #10 pick should take 3 years to develop. I knew the minute Smith took him he was screwing up. I think we should fire him now & trade Okoye for a bucket of old rusty bolts, while we can still get something for him. You never know when a rusty bolt could come in handy. :D

Okay. There, I beat all the doomsayers to the punch. Thus, you have nothing left to say. :stirpot:

This defense is going to rock!

edo783
07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
What is with folks wanting to switch player positions? Guy called in on 610 am this afternoon and wanted to put Okoye at DE and Williams at DT. Stop the insanity.

On 790 they had a diddy "Mr absurd purposal man". Seems to fit what a lot of guys that call in say.

V3rm0nt3r
07-30-2007, 09:27 PM
If he gets 15+ tackles and and a 2-3 sacks by the BYE I'll be content with taking him over Hall.

aj.
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I think there was a larger than life buildup on the guy and people expect to see another huge dude like Mario out there.

Omobi is not small - but he's not 302 either. I can't imagine the caloric intake they have him on just to keep his weight up given the metabolism of a 20 year old, two a days in oppressive conditions, etc...

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Preseason/2007-07-28-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0077.JPG

You can see where Amobi's weight is .

aj.
07-30-2007, 10:58 PM

aj.
07-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Jethro is the best thing that could have happened to the DL - in terms of player attitudes and buy-in.

Kalu said some very unkind things about Karm after practice Saturday afternoon (on SR 610) .. didn't call him out by name but he did say how much better it was to not have some "5 foot 5, 120 lb line coach" yelling at them any more.

Players tend have more respect for coaches who have played the game. Karm had a good football head on his shoulders but sometimes it's more than x's and o's, technique. The Coughlin approach to demonstrating authority is ok as long as you've got something to back it up.

real
07-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Quoted because it needs to be repeated.