PDA

View Full Version : Wild Idea

awtysst
07-29-2007, 11:45 PM
So i have been hearing some good things about Mr. Bennett and I came up with a wild idea. I know its been discussed already, but here it goes again. Why don't we move Dunta to FS and have Bennet as a starting CB?

Now here me out, here is how I would line em up

Weaver Okoye Maddox Williams

Anderson Ryans Greenwood

Bennett Robinson Earl/Brown Faggins

Thoughts?

YoungTexanFan
07-30-2007, 12:08 AM
No deal because Faggins is still on that list. No deal.

Free Agent
07-30-2007, 12:09 AM
one big problem, faggins is not a starting nfl cb, maybe a nickel or dime back. i rest my case with the 2006 bills/texans game, faggins almost got lee evans into the pro-bowl.

awtysst
07-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Would yall be more comfortable with Fletcher at the other CB spot? How about McCelon, Wynn, or Von Hutchins?

quicksilver
07-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Faggins never did play healthy last season. While I'd love to see Bennett continue to shine, it wouldn't upset me to see how Faggins will do when he is healthy.

ObsiWan
07-30-2007, 01:08 AM
one big problem, faggins is not a starting nfl cb, maybe a nickel or dime back. i rest my case with the 2006 bills/texans game, faggins almost got lee evans into the pro-bowl.

A) Like someone else said, Faggins probably came back before he was completely healthy

B) Lee Evans is one of the fastest WRs in the game today and will beat most any CB in the game on those sorts of GO routes just from his pure speed. Champ Bailey included. Faggins should have had safety help but didn't.

Back to the original question; with a year or so worth of experience under his belt, Bennett will be the starting #2 CB on this team. He's not ready yet. But he definitely has good instincts, enough speed, and the size to play the position. But if he keeps making plays like he has in these early TC days (he had a sweet over-the-shoulder INT this morning), they'll be hard pressed to keep him out of the lineup.

I see the backfield shaping up like this for late '07 or '08:
#1 CB - Robinson
#2 CB - Bennett
#3 CB - Faggins
SS ---- Earl/Mitchell
FS ---- Harrison/Brown

kiwitexansfan
07-30-2007, 02:28 AM
I am with those who think Robison is best left where he is, hopefully Bennett can win the CB2 spot and then we can have Fletcher and Faggins as nickel and dime backs. I think that makes a decent CB roster.

This is assuming Bennett is a decent CB2..... which is a big assumption.

threetoedpete
07-30-2007, 03:04 AM
I am with those who think Robison is best left where he is, hopefully Bennett can win the CB2 spot and then we can have Fletcher and Faggins as nickel and dime backs. I think that makes a decent CB roster.

This is assuming Bennett is a decent CB2..... which is a big assumption.

I have given Bennet the benifit of doubt all off season. I wanted a true FS in the draft. However the reason he slipped, my guess btw, from his junior to senior seasons was becase the game cocks had a transition player, a former QB making a switch to Safty. It is my beleif that he was tring to do to much to protect that guy and why he didn't have a day one draft pick sr. season. TBS, I expect Flecther to jump them both and end up winning the CB2 job out of camp. I think they will groom Bennet September and October to take over for the strech run. Just my guess. Petie goes back to nickle. And if you're looking for 10-6 or better, you gotta pray the FS experiment is going to work and they find someone to unseat C.C. I do not think Faggins, and I do like the guy, is a big enough player, sure enough tackler to play FS.

disaacks3
07-30-2007, 03:14 AM
B) Lee Evans is one of the fastest WRs in the game today and will beat most any CB in the game on those sorts of GO routes just from his pure speed. Champ Bailey included. Faggins should have had safety help but didn't.

Had both big plays coming directly toward me in the Bull Pen last year and I was yelling myself hoarse screaming for the safety.

While we really do need a 'legit' FS, don't waste Dunta at it, he's much more valuable where he is.

DBCooper
07-30-2007, 03:36 AM
Let's suppose your experiment works and Dunta becomes the best FS to ever play. This probably will not happen, and if it did, not over night.

Now you have degraded both CB positions because everyone now has to move up.

Even if our FS is the best, with sub-par CB's, our secondary would be in more trouble.

I would rather leave Dunta, and hopefully Bennett can step up this season and be a good #2.

Then we can sign or draft a good FS next year.

ccdude730
07-30-2007, 04:09 AM
moving dunta from CB to FS would hurt our secondary even if he were the best option that is on our roster right now. he is just too valuable where he is at right now.

i really hope bennett can come in and fight for a starting spot. i like this guys size and he should be able to match up well with some of the bigger receivers in the league. ive read somewhere that his hips arent as fluid as they should be and that is something they are trying to work with him on. hopefully TC will help bennett get on the right track.

TK_Gamer
07-30-2007, 04:11 AM
I dont know about your scenario, but I do think there will be a shake up in the DB corps this year, we could see Dunta move, Mcleon or Bennet. We have a long way to go till the season starts, but I think it will be a surprise move by opening day.

Porky
07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm never in favor of taking a player who is a known good player at a position, and degrading that position in favor of moving him to a position where he is unknown.

At best, you have weakened one position, and strengthened another, which is probably a wash, but at worst, you have severely weakened two positions, and the truth is nobody knows how he would play at FS. :devilpig:

Roughnecks
07-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I say let the rookie Harrison play his safety spot he might just win it out of training camp. The thing is if Bennet beats out Faggins I don't know if they put another rook in the secondary but I say it should be like this.

CORNERS= DROB, Bennett Faggins at nickel
safety = Harrison, Earl/Brown

Shaft75
07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Has everyone forgetten about Jamar Fletcher? Many of us said that he was the starter when we brought him in.

real
07-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Leave Dunta at corner.

Leave Petey starting at the other corner. He's a good corner.

Let Fred Bennett duke it out with Petey for the Nikel/ #2 CB position.

Hopefully someone can play FS better than CC which would allow us to have he and Glen Earl duke it out as the SS spot. If this happens, my money is on CC.

DBCooper
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Leave Dunta at corner.

Leave Petey starting at the other corner. He's a good corner.

Let Fred Bennett duke it out with Petey for the Nikel/ #2 CB position.

Hopefully someone can play FS better than CC which would allow us to have he and Glen Earl duke it out as the SS spot. If this happens, my money is on CC.

I agree.

I think CC would make a good SS.

We just need someone to step up and be our FS.

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 12:23 PM
KC Joyner's article indicated that Brown statistically ranked average in terms of FS play last year.

he said that Earl was by far the weakest link on our secondary