PDA

View Full Version : I predict that Babin will have a great year.

Hottoddie
07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
With all the abuse he's taken for costing us so much & not putting up All-Pro numbers, I truely believe that this year will be the year he steps up & takes it to the next level.

He's going into his second year playing the same position he was so successful at in college. Babin is a very athletic DE that has exceptional quickness, exceptional tackling skills, & very good pursuit speed. With the improved depth on our defensive line, it'll only help to free him up more.

So, I predict that he'll end the season with 30+ tackles & 10+ sacks for the year as Mario's backup. And, there you have it. :d:

the wonger need food
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
:beerfunnel:

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Pass it this way .

I hope Babin gets 15 sacks .

NitroGSXR
07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
I want some of what ya'll are smoking. 10+ sacks for a backup?

rmartin65
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I hope your right. 10+ is quite alot.

michaelm
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
With all the abuse he's taken for costing us so much & not putting up All-Pro numbers, I truely believe that this year will be the year he steps up & takes it to the next level.

He's going into his second year playing the same position he was so successful at in college. Babin is a very athletic DE that has exceptional quickness, exceptional tackling skills, & very good pursuit speed. With the improved depth on our defensive line, it'll only help to free him up more.

So, I predict that he'll end the season with 30+ tackles & 10+ sacks for the year as Mario's backup. And, there you have it. :d:

meh... Pretty much a low risk prediction, IMO... if you're wrong, who really cares? If you're right, you get to blow your own horn about it...

On the other hand... I really hope we get to hear you blow your horn about this a few months from now...

brakos82
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM

I'm gonna need more than that... :drunk:

Wolf
07-30-2007, 12:38 AM
makes me think damn Casserly, damn you to HE double hockey sticks

babin and TJ ....(it isn't I don't like the guys personally because I am sure they are doing their best,but .....)

awtysst
07-30-2007, 12:52 AM
makes me think damn Casserly, damn you to HE double hockey sticks

babin and TJ ....(it isn't I don't like the guys personally because I am sure they are doing their best,but .....)

Babin I don't mind so much becuase there wasn't much talent we could have gotten. However with TJ we passed on DJ, Alex Barron, and Jamal Brown.

Wolf
07-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Babin I don't mind so much becuase there wasn't much talent we could have gotten. However with TJ we passed on DJ, Alex Barron, and Jamal Brown.

true, I was thinking along the lines of we moved up in the draft for that and probably could have gotten him later (no guarantees)
but it was like a 2nd/3rd/swop of 4ths?? or so?

I can't remember but that is water under the bridge

here is to babin tearing it up
:D

threetoedpete
07-30-2007, 01:10 AM

Which, if he meets your rather lofty guess, leaves him only 135 short of Mr. Kevin Green. Ok I'll bite...one more year. He puts up another clunker...the "b" word is coming out next off season. Willams and Okoye are heathly most of the season, all he has to do is beat an OT. My money says he didn't have the first step three years running, he's not going to have it in '07 either. That's my guess.

ObsiWan
07-30-2007, 01:14 AM
The proof of the pudding will be this year. Babin is supposedly a speed guy who never developed additional moves. If the OT could neutralize Babin's speed, he had no plan "B". Since the Texans brought in a defensive line coach to teach all the guys better technique, he should be more effective. If not, he won't be back.

Hottoddie
07-30-2007, 01:48 AM
:wow: I'm just amazed at the lack of faith some of you have. :wow: I don't know what to say. :shocked

Wolf
07-30-2007, 01:55 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/423607603_15eccb1b26.jpg?v=0

Vader"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

that is what came to mind

Wolf
07-30-2007, 02:00 AM
or this one for vader

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

threetoedpete
07-30-2007, 02:31 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/423607603_15eccb1b26.jpg?v=0

Vader"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

that is what came to mind

Look either way, he breaks out HT or he doesn't...you're telling me that this guy had to reach the end of his contract to turn on the jets. What does that say about the guy ? And more importanly are you going to resign him at 40 mill with 9 to twelve mill. gaurenteed ? That's the bottom line with Mr. Babins.
He better turn on the jets. He'll be selling washer dryer combos at sears this time next year.

Apparently from you're POV, the guy has been hancuffed by the system and circumstances beyond his controll. OK I'l bite...walk the fricken walk. I'm saying if the guy was going to be Micheal Strahan we would of seen flashes of that by now. If he was going to be Kevin Green...if there was any way he was going to develope like Caper's thought he would...and I don't know that for a fact...but I'm guessing that was a Caper's quick fix pick, He would be in the low forties by now and not throwing up sevens. And I see nothing wrong in putting the cold light of reality on this deal after hearing all the cring about taking another d-lineman in the first. They felt compelled to make a move to get the production up and the correct guy fell right into their laps. Babin's fits with the guys who are platooning with the DEs this season. But beyond that...it as big a strech putting this guy at ten as it is to believe he's been doggin' it for three years and now has finally seen the fricken light. Which ever it is, it is not good. With the abundace at DE on the Texan's, that combined with the fact he isn't a true 4-3 DE and the number of 3-4 LBs that went off the board in last spings draft...begs the question, why couldn't they move this guy for a pick and gotten a true 4-3 guy to groom and platoon this season ? Because with his tallent level, it is far better to take the chance that he'll hit the waiver wire next spring and cost them the vet minimun on the guy than spend the future pick on him. And that my friend is pretty danged low on the NFL tallent scale. If he makes eight, they should dangle him out for a draft pick. Anyone makes an offer over a six pack and a ham sandwich for the guy after the season, do the deal. Anyone bites get the check into the account befor they can change their minds.

nunusguy
07-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Jason was great as a DE against Western Michigans schedule, but he's just too small to produce at a superior if even average level in this league at that position IMO.
I think he's at about 265-270 now while his ideal weight to maximize his quickness is probably 'bout 10-15 lbs less than that.

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Well, he did record 5 sacks as a backup last year, only playing in 15 games. Not bad, in my opinion

BigTimeTexanFan
07-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't know what to think about Babbin. After being drafted in the 1st round, he was asked to lose weight and learn a new position in the NFL AND start immediately! People talk about how hard the transition is from college to the NFL while staying at their position they have played at for years. Imagine coming to the NFL with huge expectations while learning a new position on a bad team. Then after a change in the org. he is asked to gain weight again and go back to his natural posiotn where as a back up he led the team in sacks. I'm willing to give the guy a chance to improve this season and if he does (8-10 sacks) I wouldn't mind keeping him. Because at this point, we can't cry over what we gave up to get him and if he improves how can we cut him without finding a replacement. If he improves, I say keep him on the roster because next year we are going to have much bigger needs that will need attention.

eriadoc
07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Babin played DE in college (at a small school, at that), but was expected to switch to LB in a 3-4 as a pro. As if thr transition to the pros wasn't enough, the team asked him to do all kinds of things he didn't excel at in college. Add in a shoulder injury his sophomore year. Then, he's switched back to DE in a 4-3. He played very limited minutes last year, but anyone who paid attention to him saw what kind of pressure he created when he did manage to get on the field. If you could somehow come up with a stat for pressure-per-snap-played, I have no doubt he'd be among the best.

Now, in the end, results are all that matter. So I'm not touting Babin as any great shakes. But he can be this team's Mark Anderson (Bears part-time DE that registered 8 sacks last year). I'm not predicting 8 sacks, or any set number, but I am saying that I think Babin will continue to improve, and the coaches will find it hard to keep him off the field. Of course, if Mario does all he's supposed to, and Weaver does more than he did last year, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Of all the "busts" this team has drafted, Babin has the best shot of living up to his draft status, IMO. He'll likely never be worth what the team gave up, but he wasn't the one who negotiated those trade picks. All he can do is go play. I see talent and perseverance in the man.

BigTimeTexanFan
07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks eriadoc, that's what I was trying to spit out. I find it hard to believe that Babbin doesn't improve on his performance from last season.

ObsiWan
07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
or this one for vader

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

http://www.utdallas.edu/~ctf031000/VIG/choke.jpg

this is the pict you're looking for...

Specnatz
07-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Babin played DE in college (at a small school, at that), but was expected to switch to LB in a 3-4 as a pro. As if thr transition to the pros wasn't enough, the team asked him to do all kinds of things he didn't excel at in college. Add in a shoulder injury his sophomore year. Then, he's switched back to DE in a 4-3. He played very limited minutes last year, but anyone who paid attention to him saw what kind of pressure he created when he did manage to get on the field. If you could somehow come up with a stat for pressure-per-snap-played, I have no doubt he'd be among the best.

Now, in the end, results are all that matter. So I'm not touting Babin as any great shakes. But he can be this team's Mark Anderson (Bears part-time DE that registered 8 sacks last year). I'm not predicting 8 sacks, or any set number, but I am saying that I think Babin will continue to improve, and the coaches will find it hard to keep him off the field. Of course, if Mario does all he's supposed to, and Weaver does more than he did last year, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Of all the "busts" this team has drafted, Babin has the best shot of living up to his draft status, IMO. He'll likely never be worth what the team gave up, but he wasn't the one who negotiated those trade picks. All he can do is go play. I see talent and perseverance in the man.

I agree, I look at Babin as more of a situational pass rusher. There was a thread moths ago and I siad I think he could double he sack total from last year to this year if the Texna s just use him in the right way.

Of course you bringing up what the Bears did helps to illustrate the point more than just words.

:d:

Matt
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
http://www.utdallas.edu/~ctf031000/VIG/choke.jpg

this is the pict you're looking for...

Yet these are NOT the droids you seek.

V3rm0nt3r
07-30-2007, 03:04 PM
For passing downs put him at weakside end (Weaver isn't much of a pass rusher but will anchor the run stop) and Mario at stronside. Amobi next to Mario and Maddox inside of Babin. Babin still has to prove that he is more valuable than Kalu or Kalu will get the nod in this situation and Babin will be looking for work.

infantrycak
07-30-2007, 03:10 PM
For passing downs put him at weakside end (Weaver isn't much of a pass rusher but will anchor the run stop) and Mario at stronside.

Kubiak has said Mario will not be moving around this season.

Brando
07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I think he will have a good year also. I think he will improve on 5 sacks but 10maybe to much to expect.

Hottoddie
07-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I think he will have a good year also. I think he will improve on 5 sacks but 10maybe to much to expect.

Perhaps, but I'm going to stand by it.

To all the one's with positive responses, it's good to see that some people still have hope.:fans:

V3rm0nt3r
07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Hope is given to a player who hasn't proven himself in the NFL. This guy led this team in sacks last year and can get past single coverage even if he is useless against the run.

Hottoddie
07-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Hope is given to a player who hasn't proven himself in the NFL. This guy led this team in sacks last year and can get past single coverage even if he is useless against the run.

I believe you're mistaken. Peek was great off the edge, but couldn't tackle a runner to save his life. Babin tackled LT one-on-one in the backfield twice in one game. He's real good against the run. He just doesn't have the same crispness coming off the edge as Peek did. I attribute part of that to him having no real moves to go with his quickness. I'm hoping that the coaches have taught him a trick, or two.