PDA

View Full Version : Once top pick, Couch works out for Jaguars

Wolf
07-29-2007, 02:51 PM
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Former No. 1 draft pick Tim Couch worked out for the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, hoping to land a job as a backup to quarterback Byron Leftwich.

Couch, the top pick by Cleveland in 1999, hasn't played a down in the NFL since the 2004 preseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jaguars-couch&prov=ap&type=lgns

Noblesse Oblige
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jaguars-couch&prov=ap&type=lgns

Looks like he signed a deal with them.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/SPORTS/70729021/1086

Overalls
07-29-2007, 05:40 PM
The rest of the teams in the South should be scared now. Jax now has 4 QBs to choose from to lead their teams to loses.

Hervoyel
07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
There are less talented guys riding pine all over the NFL IMO. Tim Couch might not have been a good first overall pick but he had NFL caliber ability so I'm glad to see him not giving up. If he in fact does have his physical problems resolved (shoulder surgery last year) then I don't see any reason why he couldn't make a roster this year. If he can prove that his shoulder is solid then I can see him getting cut in Jacksonville prior to the season kicking off and then being on several teams short lists for calls in case of injury.

He's a guy looking to catch a break right now. I'm pulling for him because frankly I think it should be considered a felony to draft a QB first overall on any expansion team. Browns GM should join Casserly doing 5-10 in the pen if you ask me.

HoustonFrog
07-29-2007, 05:51 PM
There are less talented guys riding pine all over the NFL IMO. Tim Couch might not have been a good first overall pick but he had NFL caliber ability so I'm glad to see him not giving up. If he in fact does have his physical problems resolved (shoulder surgery last year) then I don't see any reason why he couldn't make a roster this year. If he can prove that his shoulder is solid then I can see him getting cut in Jacksonville prior to the season kicking off and then being on several teams short lists for calls in case of injury.

He's a guy looking to catch a break right now. I'm pulling for him because frankly I think it should be considered a felony to draft a QB first overall on any expansion team. Browns GM should join Casserly doing 5-10 in the pen if you ask me.

People should give him a chance. I mean people bend over backwards for Carr but Couch was in the same predicament....bad GM, expansion team, bad like littered with injuries, etc yet he was thrown to the scrap pile after the injury. I hope he makes it back in the league.

Noblesse Oblige
07-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Here's a bit more from PFT:

POSTED 5:24 p.m. EDT, July 29, 2007

COUCH DEAL IS FOR THE MINIMUM IN 2007

A source with knowledge of the contract signed by quarterback Tim Couch with the Jaguars tells us that Couch will earn the minimum salary in 2007, with the opportunity to earn more than the minimum in 2008, if of course he's still with the team.

Our guess is that, if the Jags decide that he's a candidate to become the starter in 2008, they'll sign him to a new deal before the 2008 season begins.

If Couch can make it back to the field, it will be an impressive story of persistence, given that he has continued to knock on the NFL's door despite three full seasons out of the game. He recently said that, if he didn't land with a team this time around, he planned to call it quits.

Overalls
07-29-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't wish the man any ill will but being the 4th QB on the Jags is not exactly the same as being the starter for the Colts. He went to a division rival and it's fine with me if he makes the team, but I'm not going to hope he lights the division up.

Noblesse Oblige
07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I like the competitive fire he is showing. He's financially set for life and the injuries and struggles were a lot to go through. But he is showing that he wants to play the game and win, not just enjoy his money.

He is playing for love of the game, if I may borrow the name of a Kevin Costner film.

Sideline
07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah really pleased to see him get another shot, having reading about his struggles over the past few years with his shoulder since he was released from the Browns.

You can defintly see he has the fight in him to carry on playing football, rehabilitating his shoulder and then signing for the veterans minimum. Wish him all the best and will follow his progress with the Jaguars closely.

The1ApplePie
07-30-2007, 02:43 PM
A QB taken 1st overall by an expansion team, never given any weapons or O-Line help. The GM uses all its 1st round picks on bust D-Linemen. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Carr at least had AJ.

mootini
07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Camp Fodder?....He is trying to earn the 3rd spot...vs Gray.