PDA

View Full Version : Taylor out for season

V3rm0nt3r
07-28-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3433

This really sucks!!!!!!!!

Mike Kerns
07-28-2007, 07:50 PM
And Wali Lundy breathes a sigh of relief . . .

rmartin65
07-28-2007, 07:53 PM
That blows. The runningback competition is not as interesting now.

V3rm0nt3r
07-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I would think Dayne is happy now that his job as short yard back is cemented.

ObsiWan
07-28-2007, 07:54 PM

This really sucks!!!!!!!!

Is it too much to ask that we get a GOOD break from time to time!!

:brickwall:

HoustonFrog
07-28-2007, 08:01 PM

This really sucks. I thought he had a great deal of potential to break out and help split some carries and even take over some from Dayne.

DBCooper
07-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Gettin knocked out at the gate. I hope everything heals up and he gets to play next year.

Pantherstang84
07-28-2007, 08:12 PM

Apparently it is.

Double Barrel
07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Bummer! :(

ah, well...such is football

real
07-28-2007, 09:05 PM
man...

awtysst
07-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Thats why you have a whole bunch of players. These things happen.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Samkon Gado definitely makes the team now.

the wonger need food
07-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Here we go again... I couldn't be more disappointed with this news.

ObsiWan
07-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Anyone have Domanick Williams' phone number? Corey Dillon is looking for work too...

:jk:

edo783
07-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Crap!

Hardcore Texan
07-28-2007, 11:32 PM
bigtime suckage alright, oh well......at least there is depth there.

Runner
07-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Don't say "break".

Goldensilence
07-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Is Walker going to get re-invited back now?

awtysst
07-29-2007, 01:41 AM

Over in another thread a few of us are specualting the same thing.

GuerillaBlack
07-29-2007, 08:14 AM
I hope Walker is invited back. Then I wouldn't feel so bad.

Mr teX
07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Samkon Gado definitely makes the team now.

Bingo

The1ApplePie
07-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Man, our speed at RB really took a tumble. Not sure if Green still has his speed, but I don't think we have a home run hitter now.:gun:

Heath Shuler
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM

From Houstontexans.com:
Darius Walker, a Texans undrafted free agent that was cut on July 23, was mentioned by Smith as a possible replacement, as well as former Oklahoma running back Quentin Griffin, who participated most recently with the Hamburg Sea Devils in NFL Europa.

BattleRedToro
07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Also from HoustonTexans.com,
Chris Taylor received unfortunate news today as the second-year running discovered he likely will miss the entire season with a torn meniscus in his left knee, according to general manager Rick Smith. Surgery will be performed tomorrow to “suture the tear," but in the interim the team will look to add another running back to the camp squad.

I'm not sure I understand this correctly, Taylor is likely to miss the entire season, but as of right now it is uncertain, and therefore there is a chance he could return this year?

They didn't post that he was out for the season, which would have indicated that it was definite. They used the modifier likely which indicates a lack of certainty.

nunusguy
07-29-2007, 12:32 PM
For obvious reasons nobody drops with season-ending injuries like running backs, and that in and of itself is a consideration for "NOT" using a real high draft pick on a back.
But they are out there and very cheap sometimes, as in Taylors case who of course was an undrafted rookie FA last year. But now that we have him and know he's talented with tons of potential, having gotten him cheap doesn't minimize our knowledge of the loss we've suffered for this year.

dickieb
07-29-2007, 02:09 PM
It sounds like Walker is back and we will find out today if Taylor is out for the year. Also bringing in another Bronco - Griffin for a look...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3437

Kubiak said, "We have some relief coming in this afternoon with (Darius) Walker coming back, and we may sign another one before this afternoon’s practice, so we gotta get some guys out here to make sure we get these other guys some training camp.”

Lucky
07-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Even without Taylor, this looks like the best group of backs the Texans have brought to camp. Green looks really fit, Lundy seems bigger and faster, Gado has been very impressive as a runner and receiver out of the backfield. And Dayne might be in the best shape of his career. I don't think Taylor's injury will be an issue.

dickieb
07-29-2007, 04:33 PM
In training camp it's all about three things...
1. Depth
2. Competion
3. & more depth

aj.
07-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Taylor is a different kind of back than Gado, Dayne, and even Lundy. With Taylor, you saw explosiveness and burst - a nice change of pace from the others. Gado and Dayne are mostly power. Lundy runs very light for 211 (if he's 211). I saw him up close at the draft party and some of us were commenting on how small he looked. It's like the roster listing Okoye at 302 (doesn't look it), and Jamar Fletcher at 5'10" 186 (no way),. What we miss with Taylor is that change of pace back. I know Kubiak was really high on him this year... oh well .. lost potential.

edit: speed/quickness to/through the hole is the way I define burst

Texans Horror
07-29-2007, 06:48 PM
To me, Taylor always seemed to have an outside shot. I know he was a favorite around here, but I never saw what others saw in him. I don't see it as such a big loss.

Pantherstang84
07-29-2007, 07:59 PM
To me, Taylor always seemed to have an outside shot. I know he was a favorite around here, but I never saw what others saw in him. I don't see it as such a big loss.

Apparently you've never seen the man make a cut and go. He was easily the fastest RB we had in camp.

The1ApplePie
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
What Taylor had going for him above the others was top end speed, which we don't have in the backfield at all.

Not sure why we brought in Griffin, except for his speed. He sucked in the Broncos system, so I don't hold out hope for him with us.

junior
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
why is everyone so bummed about our 3rd or 4th string RB, he has good potential but you act like we are in scramble mode at RB.

the guy would have had about 50 carries this season so what did we lose?

RB depth is our one and only strong suit this season we had great depth there lets just hope our OL, DL, and secondary stay healthy we have no depth there.

ObsiWan
07-29-2007, 10:14 PM
why is everyone so bummed about our 3rd or 4th string RB, he has good potential but you act like we are in scramble mode at RB.

RB depth is our one and only strong suit this season we had great depth there lets just hope our OL, DL, and secondary stay healthy we have no depth there.

the one back on the roster that had anything resembling break-away speed. The other guys have more experience in the offense but he's the one guy that, once he burst into the secondary, wouldn't be caught from behind.

beerlover
07-29-2007, 10:15 PM

because he showed last season explosiveness & break away speed something we're hoping Ahman Green can still do, then when hes ready insert him into a similar role.

unless something bad like this happens to Green/Dayne I would have bet the under to your 50. its all about progression & development, if he doesn't get any snaps thats just sets him back further & wasted potential becomes more of a reality.

other than Green & Dayne our so called depth is raw & untested, losing Taylor our most promising possible break out player lowers my expectations of depth less than those other positions you mentioned including OL & DB's :cool:

jlam
07-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Also from HoustonTexans.com,

I'm not sure I understand this correctly, Taylor is likely to miss the entire season, but as of right now it is uncertain, and therefore there is a chance he could return this year?

They didn't post that he was out for the season, which would have indicated that it was definite. They used the modifier likely which indicates a lack of certainty.

I know very little about injuries and sports medicine in general, so take this for what it's worth, but I'm guessing they're waiting to see what the severity of the tear is. I say this because our 1st round draft pick, Robert Meachem, missed nearly all of the rookie minicamps and OTA's with a partially torn meniscus. He had it scoped last month, cleaned it out, and is now participating fully in training camp with little to no signs of favoring the knee.

It seems as if Taylor's looks to be at least a little more serious, but I hope it turns out not to be as bad as they initially thought and he can come back at least this season. Best of luck to him.

the wonger need food
07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
It's a done deal... 3 to 6 month recovery per Coach Kubiak.

threetoedpete
07-30-2007, 12:59 AM
I know very little about injuries and sports medicine in general, so take this for what it's worth, but I'm guessing they're waiting to see what the severity of the tear is. I say this because our 1st round draft pick, Robert Meachem, missed nearly all of the rookie minicamps and OTA's with a partially torn meniscus. He had it scoped last month, cleaned it out, and is now participating fully in training camp with little to no signs of favoring the knee.

It seems as if Taylor's looks to be at least a little more serious, but I hope it turns out not to be as bad as they initially thought and he can come back at least this season. Best of luck to him.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm

"The medial collateral ligament spans the distance from the end of the femur (thigh bone) to the top of the tibia (shin bone) and is on the inside of the knee joint. The medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the joint, or prevents "opening-up" of the knee."

"Grade III MCL Tear
A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer."

What is weird about this, and I stand to be corrected by Cloak -nnnnn- Dagger, is that he tore the MCL and didn't wreck the others. From the tape I saw, all he did was cut on the leg. I don't think he'll be back in '07. And He may take awhile to get up to where he was befor the injury. Sounds like it's a
severe injury but he lucked out with the other legiments. Coulda been worse. Hopefully it didn't tear completly and he'll be back by OTAs in '08.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2007, 01:15 AM
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm

"The medial collateral ligament spans the distance from the end of the femur (thigh bone) to the top of the tibia (shin bone) and is on the inside of the knee joint. The medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the joint, or prevents "opening-up" of the knee."

"Grade III MCL Tear
A grade III injury is a complete tear of the MCL. Patients have significant pain and swelling, and often have difficulty bending the knee. Instability, or giving out, is a common finding with grade III MCL tears. A knee brace or a knee immobilizer is usually needed for comfort, and healing may take 6 weeks or longer."

What is weird about this, and I stand to be corrected by Cloak -nnnnn- Dagger, is that he tore the MCL and didn't wreck the others. From the tape I saw, all he did was cut on the leg. I don't think he'll be back in '07. And He may take awhile to get up to where he was befor the injury. Sounds like it's a
severe injury but he lucked out with the other legiments. Coulda been worse. Hopefully it didn't tear completly and he'll be back by OTAs in '08.

I'm confused. I thought he tore his meniscus.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/meniscusinjuries1/a/meniscus.htm

threetoedpete
07-30-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm confused. I thought he tore his meniscus.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/meniscusinjuries1/a/meniscus.htm

nope I'm the one confused ss all.

ObsiWan
07-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Whatever he tore, he's gone for this year.

swtbound07
07-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Follow me here...but i think this may be a good thing. I've been worried this entire offseason that chris was going to get cut due to his inability to stop fumbling..i was scared we were going to lose a really talented guy. With him out of sight and on the shelf now, this is going to give a couple of other guys a chance to show exactly where they are in real game form in this offense. When taylor comes back next year, green and dayne are going to be old, and im thinking we will have seen that gado, lundi, and walker aren't the answer. I think it makes his job easier.

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I dont get where this supposed high "top end speed" is coming from?

I know 40 time doesnt necessarily indicate everything, since you aren't wearing pads, but its still a good measuring tool. He was listed at around 4.55 - 4.6

Lundy was recorded at exactly the same time. Maybe he doesn't run as fast with pads on, but calling Taylor our "speed back" seems to a bit of a stretch.

I feel like 1 or 2 people started saying he was our change of pace or speed guy, and then everyone jumped on board. I'd just like some proof ast o where this info is coming from

Errant Hothy
07-30-2007, 09:31 AM
He's (Taylor) in surgery this morning so we'll have a definitive answer this afternoon.

nunusguy
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
I dont get where this supposed high "top end speed" is coming from?

I know 40 time doesnt necessarily indicate everything, since you aren't wearing pads, but its still a good measuring tool. He was listed at around 4.55 - 4.6

Lundy was recorded at exactly the same time. Maybe he doesn't run as fast with pads on, but calling Taylor our "speed back" seems to a bit of a stretch.

I feel like 1 or 2 people started saying he was our change of pace or speed guy, and then everyone jumped on board. I'd just like some proof ast o where this info is coming from
I think "burst" or "explosiveness" is really the descriptor we want to use here and not "top end speed". Between the very few moments that the back gets the handoff from the QB until he hits the hole in the Oline the play is designated for and he moves a step or 2 beyond the los to where he'll encouter a LB is maybe 10-15 yards and how quickly he accelerate or bursts or explodes to that top or near top end speed is the key. And among our backs, Taylor clearly is the most endowed with that ability.

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Where is this coming from then?

And also, you are talking about quickness and hitting the holes quickly. A lot of the other posts keep referring to his "home run hitting ability"

Heres some FACTs for you:
Granted he only had 28 carries, but..

Chris Taylor's longest run of the season last year was 17 yards, and that was against the Browns on the last game of the season.

He only ran 8 times, but against the Colts, he only averaged 3 ypc. His longest rush was 8 yards. Ron "The Turtle" Dayne had an 18 yarder.

In the preseason:
3.96 ypc
long rush of 12 yards

So where is this evidence of speed? He seems to have a knack for busting out 5-12 yarders, then a bunch of 2 and 3 yarders, then another 5-12 yarder. This is great, and i agree he may be "quicker" than most, but based on his 40 time and the games I've seen, I wouldn't be so upset at losing "our 1 speed back"

He hasn't had a lot of experience so far, but in the preaseason (especially the 4th game) and in the last game against the Browns, I wouldn't even dare to assert that he was facing NFL caliber defenses. No starters play the last game of the preseason, and I can promise you that last game against the Browns was far from a true "test of skill"

I think he's got loads of potential, but Im not ready to throw the season on a guy with no real track record when we've got a multi-probowl running back in top shape and our proven work horse in Ron Dayne

PS: Am I missing something else? Where is his evidence of "fumbilitis?"

ObsiWan
07-30-2007, 10:18 AM

And also, you are talking about quickness and hitting the holes quickly. A lot of the other posts keep referring to his "home run hitting ability"

Chris Taylor's longest run of the season last year was 17 yards, and that was against the Browns on the last game of the season.

He only ran 8 times, but against the Colts, he only averaged 3 ypc. His longest rush was 8 yards. Ron "The Turtle" Dayne had an 18 yarder.

In the preseason:
3.96 ypc
long rush of 12 yards

So where is this evidence of speed?

Did you watch the NFL network show on our OTAs?? That's where I saw his explosiveness. On more than one play they showed, he hit the hole and then smooth outran the pursuit. No other back, Green included, did that.

And on that 17 yd gain, did you see it or are you just spouting stats? I SAW him run away from DeMeco and the rest of the first string defense during that Texans OTA show.

Yeah, I know, it was "just practice". All we're saying is the potential is definitely there.
Well, at least it was... whether he comes back from this knee thing (whatever it is) remains to be seen.

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
I watched him in the preseason, and was at the game against cleveland. Like I said, he looked good, but I would never call him a speed back from what I saw

I have not seen any OTA coverage or any practices/videos

He may have sped up this offseason, but I wasn't sure if people were all quoting each other with regards to his speed or something actual

If you say he looked fast in practices, thats good enough for me. he'll be missed this year

real
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM

LOL...

How can you spout off a bunch of stats as evidence of a players 'quickness' or 'burst' ?

How about this is something many of have seen with our own eyes ?

:texflag:

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
LOL...

How can you spout off a bunch of stats as evidence of a players 'quickness' or 'burst' ?

How about this is something many of have seen with our own eyes ?

:texflag:

So many people are so quick to say stats are meaningless when it doesn't show the point they want to prove.

Like I said, if you had read my post, I know stats don't tell the whole story.

Secondly, I was trying to decipher this "home run" speed that I had been hearing about, not his burst into the hole. 40 time is a great indication of home run speed.

A few fans saying "he looked fastest to me" seems just as silly as saying his longest run was an 18 yarder.

He ran a slow 40. Thats a good indication of speed, right? I mean, the only thing you have to do is run straight ahead.

If stats were truly as meaningless as many of you seem to claim, why is there so much talk about them? Why do they run the combine? Why do they record them in the first place? Do they tell the whole story? Absolutely not, but if you think you can't get anything from them, you're totally wrong.

"Big plays," or runs over 20 yards, usually are a good indicator of speed as well, in my opinion

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Man, our speed at RB really took a tumble. . . .but I don't think we have a home run hitter now.:gun:

He was easily the fastest RB we had in camp.

What Taylor had going for him above the others was top end speed

the one back on the roster that had anything resembling break-away speed. . . .he's the one guy that, once he burst into the secondary, wouldn't be caught from behind.

I just don't see how a guy who runs a 4.55 - 4.6 without pads is going to outrun DBs consistently

The1ApplePie
07-30-2007, 10:47 AM
I just don't see how a guy who runs a 4.55 - 4.6 without pads is going to outrun DBs consistently

Still the fastest of the Texans RBs, which is pretty sad, At least he has some speed. Lundy can't even outrun DTs, let alone CBs.

The Texans need a guy with Bush/Portis/MJD Speed

gtexan02
07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Still the fastest of the Texans RBs, which is pretty sad, At least he has some speed. Lundy can't even outrun DTs, let alone CBs.

The Texans need a guy with Bush/Portis/MJD Speed

Some of these are obviously old, and may not be correct. Taken from various scouting websites:

Ahman Green - 4.3 - 4.4? (he claimed it was 4.18, but somehow I doubt that and the site it came from)
Samkon Gado - 4.44
Wali Lundy - 4.55
Ron Dayne - 4.65
Darius Walker - 4.55

Lucky
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Taylor is the greatest message board superstar since Kendrick Starling.

Double Barrel
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM

And Charles Spencer. :texflag:

Mr. White
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM

And Charles Spencer. :texflag:

It seems like his legend grows exponentially by the day. Now that he's done for the season, I expect more of the same to happen.

If he was really as good as he's made out to be, then surely he would have gotten grabbed off the practice squad at some point by another team.

At best, he might be a diamond in the rough. And things are looking even rougher right now.

aj.
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM

I used the terms burst and explosiveness because I've seen it during OTAs, minicamps, parts of two training camps, and the one game he played in last year. Call him a workout wonder if you want.

I didn't use the term top end speed (in the context of breakaway speed) because he doesn't have any.

He's the kind of guy that can get to the second level much quicker than Dayne, Gado or Lundy - hence the change of pace term ... that characteristic was kind of obvious if you watched him at all.

Kubiak didn't like Taylor putting it on the ground during practices. Taylor improved his ability to block this year. Kubiak liked where he was in terms of improvement and I think he had very high hopes for him this year.

Goldensilence
07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Follow me here...but i think this may be a good thing. I've been worried this entire offseason that chris was going to get cut due to his inability to stop fumbling..i was scared we were going to lose a really talented guy. With him out of sight and on the shelf now, this is going to give a couple of other guys a chance to show exactly where they are in real game form in this offense. When taylor comes back next year, green and dayne are going to be old, and im thinking we will have seen that gado, lundi, and walker aren't the answer. I think it makes his job easier.

I am inclined to agree on this actually. Taylor reminds me of Tiki Barber a lot...a guy who was brought in who had talent and it showed early in his career however on the practice field and game time he fumbled consistantly. I saw Taylor following suit in a way..nice talent but until he learns to keep the ball tucked away i have my doubts he would've seen the field a lot. Hopefully the time off will give him the ability to adress that fully and really make a large impact next season.

As for breakway speed. Sure it's nice but if speed were the only indicator fora good back then we'd have tons of former track and field guys on squads all over the league. I'm not saying they don't now but being a football player is different from being a speed only guy. The past two backs to go over the 2000 yard barrier didn't run blazing 40 times or were complete game breakers in that sense. They got yardage in chunks though and that's what we need to open up the playaction for this team. Cause IMO until the line is FULLY solidified we'll have to have the help that the PA assists in pass blocking.

real
07-30-2007, 03:51 PM

What do stats have to do with a guy's ability to run long TD's ?

You give stats from a limited sample size as validity ?

It's called being a football player...

There is much more to running a forty than putting your hand down and taking off....There is actually technique behind it...You can run a slow forty, but have a natural ability to run on the football field, and you can run a blazing forty and look slow on the field...

Again...

most here have seen Chris Taylor run and can recognize good burst and good speed when they see it...

It's pretty much as simple as that...

badboy
07-30-2007, 04:51 PM

This really sucks!!!!!!!!Benny Joppru is that you hiding out in Taylor's uniform? My gut told me that Taylor would win the starter's role by mid season. Must have been gas instead.

TexanSam
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM

LOL. I agree. It seems like people consider him to be our running back of the future when he didn't even get drafted. And now he's hurt...