PDA

View Full Version : Bucs Attempting to Recoup Signing Bonus from Plummer?!?!

NitroGSXR
07-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Unable to coax Jake Plummer out of retirement, and apparently convinced now that he has no intentions of returning to the NFL, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have placed the 10-year veteran quarterback on the league's "reserve/did not report" list.

The procedural maneuver, which took place Friday, is believed to be the first move in an attempt by Bucs officials to recover signing bonus money that Tampa Bay didn't even pay Plummer, but which he actually collected from the Denver Broncos, his former team.

In a contractual technicality, when the Bucs acquired Plummer from Denver for a seventh-round draft pick, which could escalate to a fourth-rounder if he did not retire, they also gained the right to try to recoup part of that bonus money.

"There are consequences to not reporting to camp," general manager Bruce Allen noted, somewhat ominously, when speaking of Plummer's absence. "We treat him just like any other player who did not come to camp."

In 2004, when wide receiver Keenan McCardell skipped training camp and the first half of the season in a contract dispute, the Bucs filed an action to recover a portion of the signing bonus they paid him two years earlier, and were successful. It has been widely speculated that, if Plummer did not end his retirement and report to camp, Tampa Bay would take a similar action against him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2952453 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2952453)

Does this sound a little unfair to you? They didn't even pay him this bonus. I'd really like to hear some insight in regards to this.

I think this is one of the most unfair things I have ever seen. Jake announced his retirement long before the NFL draft and gave this team plenty of heads up over to his future, but they've been pressing him and pressing him to return to camp but he has said he's not interested in playing any longer. How can they take away money that he has earned in the past that they never even paid? It really makes no sense to me at all.

What's mindboggling is that at some point the Bucs would have to cut him, and then they would have not only paid his salary up to that point, but would have to pay the rest of his signing bonus. Now both sides are in good shape financially, why does Tampa Bay have to push and push to try and steal Plummer's money? It really is just stealing, considering they have no right to it whatsoever except for in one dumb clause in the CBA.

On a side note, I hated seeing this action being compared to McCardell.

Double Barrel
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
wow....should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Although, I have to admit, I am sooooooo glad that we didn't end up with Plummer.

ChildressTitanMan
07-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Definitely a low blow by the Bucs

Grams
07-28-2007, 12:16 PM
They gave up a 7th round draft pick for him so they have the right to recoup the money.

From what I have read Plummer has not filed his retirement papers with the NFL which means he has not officially retired.

If ones says that they are retiring - why wouldn't one file the necessary papers? Is he maybe holding out hoping to be cut from Tampa so he can join another team?

nunusguy
07-28-2007, 12:38 PM
They gave up a 7th round draft pick for him so they have the right to recoup the money.

Which means they stand in the place of the Broncos and assume all of the rights and claims that the Broncos had on Plummer, who IMO had every right to recover the money they paid Plummer if he doesn't follow thru with his promise to work for them as he agreed to do. What's unfair about that ?
This is a business after all.

Wolf
07-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Which means they stand in the place of the Broncos and assume all of the rights and claims that the Broncos had on Plummer, who IMO had every right to recover the money they paid Plummer if he doesn't follow thru with his promise to work for them as he agreed to do. What's unfair about that ?
This is a business after all.

guess it is potentially free money for the bucs

NitroGSXR
07-28-2007, 12:54 PM

From what I have read Plummer has not filed his retirement papers with the NFL which means he has not officially retired.

If ones says that they are retiring - why wouldn't one file the necessary papers? Is he maybe holding out hoping to be cut from Tampa so he can join another team?
Can you show me a link stating that he has not filed? I'd love to read that because I just remember him filing. If what you say is true then I definitely understand where the Buccaneers are coming from. Treating him as a hostile player in return for a hostile move with refusing to show for training camp.

Wolf
07-28-2007, 01:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785459

In a twist that could scuttle a proposed trade to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, veteran quarterback Jake Plummer told friends and business associates Friday afternoon that he plans to retire from football rather than continue his NFL career in another city

that was march 3.. to me the Bucs were hardheaded and didn't do their homework eventhough the teacher gave them the answers.. and they wasted their conditional pick on a dumb trade. now, with egg on their face they are trying to save grace (in a way)

NitroGSXR
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Posted Jun 21, 2007

But Plummer has been largely silent since reiterating his desire to retire before a handball game shortly after the trade. He remains an issue to the Buccaneers because he has not officially retired. In order to do so, he must file retirement papers with the NFL.

http://buccaneers.scout.com/2/653565.html (http://buccaneers.scout.com/2/653565.html)

This is why they're trying to recoup their money. Now Wolf is absolutely correct. They should not have acquired him and most likely were trying to drive up the price in order to recoup the trade loss? A risky way of doing business? I don't know what was in their mindset but that's the best explaination that I can conjure up.