PDA

View Full Version : ESPNs Michael Smith on the Texans

nunusguy
07-27-2007, 08:27 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/fanzone/2007/07/video_annamegan_with_espns_mic.html
Probably the most knowledgeable, certainly the most objective ESPN NFL analyst by way of Anna-Megans video feature on the Chronicle.

Overalls
07-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the link. I hope he is right about Matt. I think he is.

ObsiWan
07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/fanzone/2007/07/video_annamegan_with_espns_mic.html
Probably the most knowledgeable, certainly the most objective ESPN NFL analyst by way of Anna-Megans video feature on the Chronicle.

Thanks for that link. Michael Smith is one of the few ESPN talking heads that seems to think independently. I think he was the only guy that posted a column that said drafting Mario made sense for us. Its a wonder ESPN didn't fire hiim for blaspheming like that.

DBCooper
07-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for that link. Michael Smith is one of the few ESPN talking heads that seems to think independently. I think he was the only guy that posted a column that said drafting Mario made sense for us. Its a wonder ESPN didn't fire hiim for blaspheming like that.

lol

Runner
07-27-2007, 11:39 PM
I've lost track - is ESPN worthless or speaking the truth now?

brakos82
07-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I've lost track - is ESPN worthless or speaking the truth now?

Michael Smith is an ESPN traitor. He's on our side now. :goodbad:

Runner
07-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Michael Smith is an ESPN traitor. He's on our side now. :goodbad:

I understand. I just get a little confused about how bad the national media is...until they throw the Texans a bone. :)

Carr Bombed
07-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Michael Smith has always been a good analyst for them........ which is really rare at ESPN (good analyst wise). He doesn't just run with the same story lines and regurgitate the same crap. He actually looks at things with a independant eye and forms his own opinion.

But then again, he did cut his teeth by covering the New England Patriots, so the man knows good football decisions when he sees them.

nunusguy
07-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Michael Smith has always been a good analyst for them........ which is really rare at ESPN (good analyst wise). He doesn't just run with the same story lines and regurgitate the same crap. He actually looks at things with a independant eye and forms his own opinion.
But then again, he did cut his teeth by covering the New England Patriots, so the man knows good football decisions when he sees them.
Good info and here's a little more history on Smith.
He's actually a NOLA native and is still very much a Saints fan and has said he truley became emotional when the Saints drafted Bush. Nevertheless he has remained supportive of the Texans decision to pick Mario last year and claims it was a good decision for their team at the time. Now like a lot of us,
his continued patience in support of that decision may be predicated on Mario really stepping up his production in this, his second year.
But even though he appears on ESPNs "Around the Horn", he has an independance in his opinions that none of others in that crowd seem to have, and he is light years ahead of them in his knowledge of the NFL.

Double Barrel
07-28-2007, 11:29 AM
OMG.....Michael Smith obviously needs rehab....no sober human being can mention His Greatness in the same story (much less sentence) with mere mortals like Schaub...obviously Smith needs an intervention before he completely wrecks his career and ends up on the NFL Network.

:joker:

ObsiWan
07-28-2007, 11:43 AM
OMG.....Michael Smith obviously needs rehab....no sober human being can mention His Greatness in the same story (much less sentence) with mere mortals like Schaub...obviously Smith needs an intervention before he completely wrecks his career and ends up on the NFL Network.

:joker:

Can't you see he's already on punishment!
Why else would he be exiled out here in hot, humid Houston to cover the lowly Texans?
And apparently, he hasn't learned his lesson. He's STILL saying positive things about Schaub and daring to compare him to Prince Vince. If he keeps this up he'll be banned from Bristol. The NFL Network won't even take him...
He'll have to get a job with FOX. :D

(I wonder if we can swap him for Jerome Solomon...?)

dickieb
07-28-2007, 05:41 PM
And when Schaub comes out and plays well and makes the whole team look better and we are winning football games, Michael Smith will look like a genius.

dskillz
07-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Michael came down last year and talked about the Texans on 610. I think he looked at training camp for a few days. He is one of the few people at ESPN who actually looks at games in full and doesn't talk about things he has no clue about.

I believe he is from Lousiana, so has always taken an interest in Houston teams. Something like that anyway.

But his comments were positive, but were themed in "let's see how it works out on the field", which is my position as well. Of course I have picked them to go 10-6 or 9-7, but in the back of my head I am wondering how Schaub is going to do here as a starter.

nunusguy
07-28-2007, 06:28 PM
but in the back of my head I am wondering how Schaub is going to do here as a starter.

That's front and center with me.
Schaub may be our answer and therfor the key to success here,
but it may require more patience than a lot of us realize.
Lot of people are expecting Schaub to begin first game out against the Chiefs just taking over and getting it done. Realistically success may come, but not so quickly or so easily. He really doesn't have much game experiece and may have a learning curve that will take several weeks if not months (hopefully not years?) at the helm for him to find himself. And that scenario doesn't usually translate into immediate "W"s.

TexanSam
07-29-2007, 12:41 AM
I had to watch it twice. Once to listen to Michael Smith. The other time I stared at Anna-Megan...