PDA

View Full Version : Starting SAM?

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I heard on 610 this afternoon, that Charlie Anderson was getting the majority of 1st team reps.

Theres Shantee from last year

Who else is in the mix?

nunusguy
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
On the Channel 13 show the other night they said the primary competition for
the strong-side backer position would between Anderson & Shantee Orr, who were described as "best friends".
Also on that show one of the FA LBs, either Danny Clark or Shawn Barber, described Anderson as having an unusual body type, and said it in a complimetary manner as if he was well suited to play his position. Found that interesting, but unsure exactly of what he meant ?

HOU-TEX
07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I'd like to get more opinions on the LBs as well. D-Ryans is undoubtedly our Mike. IMO, the Sam and Will positions should be up for grabs. I just don't see alot of talent other than D-Ryans.

Kubiak gave Anderson quite a bit of praise during mini camps so I hope he's just as improved when they strap on the pads.

I think Greenwood's a great guy but there's just not enough talent there to justify his pay or a guaranteed starting position. He showed decent improvement throughout last season but will it continue?

I think there are still big questions to be answered at LB. I hope somebody will step up like D-Ryans did last TC.:d:

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I think Demeco is locked in as MLB
Greenwood is a guaranteed starter in my book, as he would have already been cut if he wasn't going to start
Barber is Greenwoods backup
Clark will backup Ryans

I think SLB is by FAR our weakest position. I think Orr was the weakest link on our entire defense last year, adn to think his backup is now in line for the starting position doesnt inspire a lot of confidence in me at all

kravix
07-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Demeco and Greenwood are starting Mike and Will. Kubes said the Sam is a competition between Orr, Anderson, Clark, and Barber. Honestly I couldnt pick between them at this point, but if I hade to make an uneducated personal opinion I would say that Anderson beats out Orr for the starting position this year.

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 04:49 PM
All the vets in the TC quotes raved about Barber. I'd love to see him out there if what they say is even half true

Bull Pen 1
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Demeco and Greenwood are starting Mike and Will. Kubes said the Sam is a competition between Orr, Anderson, Clark, and Barber. Honestly I couldnt pick between them at this point, but if I hade to make an uneducated personal opinion I would say that Anderson beats out Orr for the starting position this year.

I hate to sound stupid, but what is a SAM?

Am I only one who doesn't know or the only one to ask?:fans:

infantrycak
07-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I hate to sound stupid, but what is a SAM?

Strong side LB.

Often designated as Sam for SLB, Mike for MLB and Will for WLB.

Vinny
07-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Greenwood and Ryans are locks but the slb is wide open imo. I'm sure we see different guys getting reps with the first team as the evaluation period is on now that the speculation period dies.

At the other two linebacker spots I see Greenwood as a Jay Foreman level player with a bit more physical ability, so maybe Coach Bush (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=21) can get him to play at a higher level. Bush is the guy Kubiak wanted to begin with and specializes in linebackers. This is a key year for Greenwood going forward as to the future of this defense in any case. Since I read that one of the coaches commented that Ryans may have been the most improved player coming into camp I'm thinking that this just has to be another sign he is who we think he is (insert Denny Green imagery)....I think they move him around and use him at the will in some down and distance packages. I bet we see him all over the field this year and we now have the ability to put Dunta on one edge over the slot and DeMeco at the Will drooling to beat the rb block. DeMeco can get deep knee bend and explode low, getting under the blocks and around blockers like few peers....teams have to pay attention to Williams and Okoye right? We have the tools for an explosive defense in nickel packages because we have blitzing ability and body control on two sides of the ball, with most of the O-line attention aimed at all the 1st round pick linemen manning the trenches.

V3rm0nt3r
07-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Ryans is Mike
Greenwood is Will
Anderson/Orr split Sam

Clark backs up Ryans
Barber is Nickel

Porky
07-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Greenwood and Ryans are locks but the slb is wide open imo. I'm sure we see different guys getting reps with the first team as the evaluation period is on now that the speculation period dies.

At the other two linebacker spots I see Greenwood as a Jay Foreman level player with a bit more physical ability, so maybe Coach Bush (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=21) can get him to play at a higher level. Bush is the guy Kubiak wanted to begin with and specializes in linebackers. This is a key year for Greenwood going forward as to the future of this defense in any case. Since I read that one of the coaches commented that Ryans may have been the most improved player coming into camp I'm thinking that this just has to be another sign he is who we think he is (insert Denny Green imagery)....I think they move him around and use him at the will in some down and distance packages. I bet we see him all over the field this year and we now have the ability to put Dunta on one edge over the slot and DeMeco at the Will drooling to beat the rb block. DeMeco can get deep knee bend and explode low, getting under the blocks and around blockers like few peers....teams have to pay attention to Williams and Okoye right? We have the tools for an explosive defense in nickel packages because we have blitzing ability and body control on two sides of the ball, with most of the O-line attention aimed at all the 1st round pick linemen manning the trenches.

Nice analysis! :texflag: