PDA

View Full Version : Okoye news?

awtysst
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Camp starts tomorrow and i have not heard anything about him being signed. I hope we can sign him today becuase we NEED him to be in camp tomorrrow. Anyone heard anythign on this situation?

alphajoker
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I know...I keep getting on-line every hour or so to see if he signed yet. Come on Okoye, sign already!!!

Mr. White
07-26-2007, 02:09 PM
The signings are coming pretty fast and furious today.

Signings today:
Anthony Spencer, Cowboys
Gaines Adams, Bucs
Aaron Ross, NYG

Since Jamal Anderson got signed by the Falcons yesterday, that'll probably give both parties something to work from. I expect that he'll get signed before the day's over.

Texan_Bill
07-26-2007, 02:12 PM
On my way home yesterday, they mentioned that it was close, and while it wouldnt get done last night, they thought it would get done today!!

Mike Kerns
07-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Hope so, because a holdout is going to put him on my Sh*t list before camp is even done...

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
The signings are coming pretty fast and furious today.

Signings today:
Anthony Spencer, Cowboys
Gaines Adams, Bucs
Aaron Ross, NYG

Since Jamal Anderson got signed by the Falcons yesterday, that'll probably give both parties something to work from. I expect that he'll get signed before the day's over.

I suspect he'll be signed in time for tomorrow's first camp session.

Rampage
07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
You idiots need to realize, Okoye doesn't make the deal, he doesn't negotiate, all he does is sign the damn contract.

Okoye's agent sits down, tells the Texans a bloated figure and asks then to agree. Okoye doesn't get to pick and choose how much he makes. So saying "OKOYE SIGN" is idiotic.

Double Barrel
07-26-2007, 03:04 PM
hmmmm....I guess there was no stipulation that our first round pick be signed quickly this year? :hmmm:

Obviously first overall pick allows a team to seal the deal prior to the draft, but it did seem like avoiding holdouts at all cost was a big priority in a recent draft.

Hopefully news breaks today on Okoye, though. He needs to hit the ground running and I do not think he can afford to miss any time of his first pro TC.

gtexan02
07-26-2007, 03:22 PM
The slow signings of the people in front of him have cost Okoye. Now that Gaines Adams has signed, I think it will speed up the Okoye process

real
07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Speaking of Jamal Anderson...

That's a walking, talking bust....

Errant Hothy
07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Hope so, because a holdout is going to put him on my Sh*t list before camp is even done...

Why?

If I was a top 10 pick rookie, I might not force a hold-out; but I would damn sure make sure I got a deal that paid me the most. Amobi has to keep the fear of career ending injury in mind, and would be stupid to not max out the potential of this contract.

Cass and Co. really spoiled the fan base by preventing hold-outs, most teams hve to deal with them from time to time.

With all that being said I bet he's in signed today or tomorrow.

V3rm0nt3r
07-26-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't see why it took them this long to settle contracts with later round picks. I mean I saw the Vikings sign a draft pick in the middle of May!

gtexan02
07-26-2007, 03:47 PM
It doesn't make sense that contracts shoudl take up until the day before or the day OF training camp to get signed. Wasn't the draft months ago??

Errant Hothy
07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
It doesn't make sense that contracts shoudl take up until the day before or the day OF training camp to get signed. Wasn't the draft months ago??

You have to see what the guys picked before and after you get.

gtexan02
07-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I think it would nice if the NFL had predetermined values for each of their picks.

drafted 1st overall? you get $x
drafted in the 3rd round, 5th pick? You get $x

It would prevent this kind of nonsense

Errant Hothy
07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I think it would nice if the NFL had predetermined values for each of their picks.

drafted 1st overall? you get $x
drafted in the 3rd round, 5th pick? You get $x

It would prevent this kind of nonsense

I think the NBA does this, and it has seemed to help them.

Specnatz
07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
hmmmm....I guess there was no stipulation that our first round pick be signed quickly this year? :hmmm:

Obviously first overall pick allows a team to seal the deal prior to the draft, but it did seem like avoiding holdouts at all cost was a big priority in a recent draft.

Hopefully news breaks today on Okoye, though. He needs to hit the ground running and I do not think he can afford to miss any time of his first pro TC.

If he is signed by monday I would not call that a holdout, because of the language that goes into these contracts is not easy to do and since the guys drafted around Okoye just got signed now the dollar figures are pretty much known and you have to work on a few paramiters(sp).

Double Barrel
07-26-2007, 04:57 PM
If he is signed by monday I would not call that a holdout, because of the language that goes into these contracts is not easy to do and since the guys drafted around Okoye just got signed now the dollar figures are pretty much known and you have to work on a few paramiters(sp).

While true, it is as close to becoming a holdout as you can get. And Mr. McNair might request a draft do-over if it does become a holdout situation. :pirate:

Obviously different circumstances than last year, but still fun to poke at.

Yankee_In_TX
07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I think the NBA does this, and it has seemed to help them.

It would be nice, because it seems every year guys say "I deserve $xx because so and so got $xx last year."

Snowball effect. Should also be position based. I don't think a #3 OL should make as much as a #3 QB.

awtysst
07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Cmon Amobe! We need you out there!!!

The1ApplePie
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
The last 1st pick to hold out: Travis Johnson

Please don't follow his lead Amobi!

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 06:27 PM

EXACTAMUNDO! stay in shape, dont be lazy, and give it all you got

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Missing two days of TC is hardly a serious hold out.

Texanmike02
07-26-2007, 09:15 PM

Not only that, and I know I'm not allowed to do anything but be negative... being a doomsayer and all but Okoye was actually somebody people were looking forward to having on the team pre draft... I had never even in my wildest dreams thought that we would get TJ... mainly because I thought he was a low grade 1st rounder.

Mike

Rampage
07-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Amobi has signed an 8 year deal in the 50 million dollar mark.

sixfour
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM

I think this guy being extremely smart will minimize missing a couple days of camp, meaning he'll catch up fast.

Still, we hope he's on time.

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 09:53 PM

a holdout is a holdout.

you get the most money you can, but you also get your butt to camp on time. its important to be able to practice with your teammates and show them how serious you are about playing with them.

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Some other poster asked a very interesting question. The dang draft is in April. An early signing is the exception, not the rule. Why DO they wait until the week/day before training camp begins to start trying to sign these guys??

And its not just us. Its EVERYBODY. Every year.

What the hell?
...over.

Marcus
07-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Some other poster asked a very interesting question. The dang draft is in April. An early signing is the exception, not the rule. Why DO they wait until the week/day before training camp begins to start trying to sign these guys??

What the hell?
...over.

That's just the way they do it, and they've done it that way all the way back to before you were even born, you old 55 year old geezer.:)

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2007, 10:45 PM

What the hell?
...over.

They're all busy finishing up Dog Fighting season.

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 11:32 PM
a holdout is a holdout.

you get the most money you can, but you also get your butt to camp on time. its important to be able to practice with your teammates and show them how serious you are about playing with them.

What's this?!

Training camp officially got underway Thursday afternoon. With cornerback Fred Bennett (fourth-round) and offensive tackle Brandon Frye (fifth-round) signing their contracts that same day, Okoye was the lone player not to attend the team meeting.

well, they should suspend his butt! after all, "a holdout is a holdout".

:)

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 11:37 PM
What's this?!

well, they should suspend his butt! after all, "a holdout is a holdout".

actually i dont think the team can suspend him since he is not under a contact yet, but thats besides the point...

amobi should be there for himself just as much for his teammates. im sorry you cant see the need for everyone to be in camp on time and participating.

brakos82
07-26-2007, 11:42 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40236

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40236

just saw that...great news!

now everyone is ready for practice tomorrow

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 11:55 PM
actually i dont think the team can suspend him since he is not under a contact yet, but thats besides the point...

amobi should be there for himself just as much for his teammates. im sorry you cant see the need for everyone to be in camp on time and participating.

Actually he IS under contract as we type this.

And I agree with you. Everyone should be signed by the time camp opens.

But I notice that no one has given me a logical reason why this crap happens every year. At the very least, they should be negotiating contracts during the weeks between OTAs and TC. In this electronic age, there's no reason that contracts aren't ironed out via email/fax and all that remains is for the guy to come in and sign it.

"Its the way they've always done it" is an excuse, not a reason.

Specnatz
07-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Just an FYI but a (rookie) player is not allowd to be in camp unless he is signed. Per the collective bargining agreement. That also includes team mneetings.