PDA

View Full Version : drunken warren moon

swtbound07
07-25-2007, 01:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2948654&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Hardcore Texan
07-25-2007, 01:15 PM
And according to "King" Jerome Solomon, Moon is a "class act". In between DUI's and slapping his women around that is.

HoustonFrog
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah I thought I posted about his arrest in April but I couldn't find it and I think it was on the other board. This is the lingering case from that April arrest.

Koolaid Time
07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
And according to "King" Jerome Solomon, Moon is a "class act". In between DUI's and slapping his women around that is.

....And sexually harassing Minnesota Vikings cheerleaders

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I have never been a big fan of Moon both on or off the field, but this charge is lame. He wasn't drunk and wasn't even speeding that gratuitously.

Sounds like he got pulled over for DWB and the cop had an axe to grind.

Cop 1: I got a black guy speeding in a truck nicer than my F-150. He's going down.
Cop 2: You da man, boss.

Hervoyel
07-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I have never been a big fan of Moon both on or off the field, but this charge is lame. He wasn't drunk and wasn't even speeding that gratuitously.

Sounds like he got pulled over for DWB and the cop had an axe to grind.

Cop 1: I got a black guy speeding in a truck nicer than my F-150. He's going down.
Cop 2: You da man, boss.

I'd have pulled him over for going 15 over the speed limit without hesitation and I'd have written him a ticket for it no matter who he was. 50 in a 35 is enough to get you pulled over no matter what color you are.

If I smelled alcohol he'd be going to meet the breathalyzer man to see what number came up. I don't know a single cop who wouldn't make that arrest. I'm sure there are some but I don't know them.

You sound like you're just looking for a reason to give him a pass because of those darned racist cops and the vendetta that they all have on every black man on earth. At least that's what you sound like to me.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd have pulled him over for going 15 over the speed limit without hesitation and I'd have written him a ticket for it no matter who he was. 50 in a 35 is enough to get you pulled over no matter what color you are.

If I smelled alcohol he'd be going to meet the breathalyzer man to see what number came up. I don't know a single cop who wouldn't make that arrest. I'm sure there are some but I don't know them.

You sound like you're just looking for a reason to give him a pass because of those darned racist cops and the vendetta that they all have on every black man on earth. At least that's what you sound like to me.

I am pointing to the reckless driving charge. Moon deserved a speeding ticket and that was it. To get arrested and have to make bond for basically speeding is just ridiculous and seems like the officer just tried to stick something on him because he couldn't bust him for being drunk.

He should of got a speeding ticket. He got more than that and now his name is sullied for essentially....speeding.

Why would the officer do this? Is the officer just a jerk or is there something else? Was Moon a jerk and the officer stuck it to him? or was it DWB?

Once again, I never liked Moon but it seems that the officer seemed bent on pinning something on Moon. I want to know why...that's all Herv.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
fwiw - Moon was just on ESPN News talking about the Oilers days and he did address the incident. He said he was 10 miles over the speed limit and said him being pulled over was 'dubious at best'. He had been out having dinner and told the officer he had a few drinks but was not drunk. The officer then accused him of being drunk and the tests proved he wasn't. Moon then said that the officer then changed the charge to negligent driving and Moon was like 'It does turn out to be negligent driving because I was 10MPH over the speed limit according to his say so and that is where it stands now.'

Am I the only one who thinks he is getting railroaded here? He wasn't drunk and that was proven so they try and save face and say he was 'negligent' because he was 10MPH over the speed limit. This smells fishy.

I just can't stand the police that let their own agendas, pride or biases affect the perception of the good police who are even handed and logical doing their jobs.

Wolf
07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
negligent driving wow

couldn't the police use that one on about EVERY offense that happens.

hauling to jail seems extreme on that one.. unless there is more to the story

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
negligent driving wow

couldn't the police use that one on about EVERY offense that happens.

hauling to jail seems extreme on that one.. unless there is more to the story

They hauled his butt to jail so he could do a blow and it turned out he was not drunk. Nothing wrong with that at all, better safe than sorry, so they take him back to his vehicle and he goes home.

Wolf
07-25-2007, 07:29 PM
They hauled his butt to jail so he could do a blow and it turned out he was not drunk. Nothing wrong with that at all, better safe than sorry, so they take him back to his vehicle and he goes home.

ah I see. I overlooked that, I thought the police would have the device with them

I guess Washingon state is WAY behind the times because I saw were police were now taking blood in some place... saves on paperwork and such

ObsiWan
07-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Why are pro athletes' traffic stops considered newsworthy??

When Steve McNair went to traffic court because of his brother-in-law, they had a TV crew at the court house.

Tank Johnson's little episode in AZ stayed in the news for weeks.

Yet, what happened to the story about broadcaster Bill Maas?? He got stopped with DRUGS and a firearm in his ride. They didn't even post a picture of him - if anyone has seen an article with Maas' photo please post the link. And speaking of which, have you heard another word on how that turned out? I believe FOX fired or suspended him...? But his story isn't getting nearly the attention compared to the athletes'.

what happened to "fair & balanced"?

Double Barrel
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Yet, what happened to the story about broadcaster Bill Maas??

Who? :um:

I've heard of Warren Moon.

And that's why it's news. :shades:

Wolf
07-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Why are pro athletes' traffic stops considered newsworthy??

When Steve McNair went to traffic court because of his brother-in-law, they had a TV crew at the court house.

Tank Johnson's little episode in AZ stayed in the news for weeks.

Yet, what happened to the story about broadcaster Bill Maas?? He got stopped with DRUGS and a firearm in his ride. They didn't even post a picture of him - if anyone has seen an article with Maas' photo please post the link. And speaking of which, have you heard another word on how that turned out? I believe FOX fired or suspended him...? But his story isn't getting nearly the attention compared to the athletes'.

what happened to "fair & balanced"?

it is up there with Matthew McConaughey,cedrick benson, Jason Patric(to name a few) .. that have GOOD lawyers that hush things up

brakos82
07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
ah I see. I overlooked that, I thought the police would have the device with them

I guess Washingon state is WAY behind the times because I saw were police were now taking blood in some place... saves on paperwork and such

They are slow... My cousin got busted for DUI and by the time he got back to the station, he was at .071, so they let him go. He said it took about 15 minutes to get there...:shades:

Hervoyel
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
.067 is not that far from .08. From a technical standpoint he was not legally intoxicated but he had been drinking, admitted that he had been drinking, and plenty of people in this world become impaired before reaching the legal blood alcohol level. Many states have a charge for driving badly with less than the legal limit of alcohol in your bloodstream.

Also as brakos82 just pointed out your blood alcohol level changes over time. I once transported a guy to the county jail in Bellville for another officer. I was very annoyed that this guy was getting off shift and asking me to transport his bust because I didn't think this guy was drunk. There was a slight odor of alcohol in him and he was as clear and lucid as the majority of people you might see on any given day. I just did not see this guy being over the limit. Between the bust in Wallis and the breathalyzer in Bellville this guy fell apart and blew a .29 when the DPS officer got there. He was on his way up. How are the arresting officers supposed to know if Warren Moon was telling the truth? Maybe he was on his way down and by the time they got to the breathalyzer he was below the limit.

Hardcore Texan
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
it is up there with Matthew McConaughey,cedrick benson, Jason Patric(to name a few) .. that have GOOD lawyers that hush things up

And for you Austinites you might remember Corey Morrow ( country singer ) getting busted with a DUI I think and I know for sure cociane in his vehicle on Loop 1 one night more than a year ago and never hear another word about it.

Wolf
07-25-2007, 10:29 PM
And for you Austinites you might remember Corey Morrow ( country singer ) getting busted with a DUI I think and I know for sure cociane in his vehicle on Loop 1 one night more than a year ago and never hear another word about it.

wow didn't know that.. I have been out of austin for 3 years now.that is a new one

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
.067 is not that far from .08. From a technical standpoint he was not legally intoxicated but he had been drinking, admitted that he had been drinking, and plenty of people in this world become impaired before reaching the legal blood alcohol level. Many states have a charge for driving badly with less than the legal limit of alcohol in your bloodstream.

Also as brakos82 just pointed out your blood alcohol level changes over time. I once transported a guy to the county jail in Bellville for another officer. I was very annoyed that this guy was getting off shift and asking me to transport his bust because I didn't think this guy was drunk. There was a slight odor of alcohol in him and he was as clear and lucid as the majority of people you might see on any given day. I just did not see this guy being over the limit. Between the bust in Wallis and the breathalyzer in Bellville this guy fell apart and blew a .29 when the DPS officer got there. He was on his way up. How are the arresting officers supposed to know if Warren Moon was telling the truth? Maybe he was on his way down and by the time they got to the breathalyzer he was below the limit.

Herv, you don't think the cop may be overstepping the boundaries here? I am all for keeping drunks off the road but playing a power trip on the citizens is a bit far. If you take a guy downtown on the suspicion of being drunk in order to test him and he PROVES that he is not legally drunk, you should have the common decency to not manufacture some BS charge to stick on him.......unless you have an axe to grind.

to me it smells like DWB and an officer that was too proud to just let the guy go and admit he was WRONG. Swallow that pride and do your job.

Texan_Bill
07-26-2007, 07:52 AM
SH,

I guess I don't get the whole DWB in this case. They took him to blow. He passed, no worries. He still broke the law by driving over 40% higher than the posted speed limit - which is breaking the law....

Should he be let off because he's DWB? or shuold he be let off because he's Warren Moon?

I don't know the law(s) in Washington, but in some states 15mph over a the speed limit is considered negligent driving - not just simply speeding.

Who knows, when he goes to his arraignment, maybe ALL is dropped -or- they lessen the charge.

brakos82
07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't know the law(s) in Washington, but in some states 15mph over a the speed limit is considered negligent driving - not just simply speeding.

I think 50 on a 35 on a hilly surface road is considered negligent driving there.

I've lived there for 10 years, and I've only been caught going 45 on a 35 on a straightaway, and they just gave me a ticket. (I was late for work, I swear! :shades: )

I think it depends more on the situation. If he was getting real close to the yellow line (or going over it), I'd consider it negligent.

Specnatz
07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Herv, you don't think the cop may be overstepping the boundaries here? I am all for keeping drunks off the road but playing a power trip on the citizens is a bit far. If you take a guy downtown on the suspicion of being drunk in order to test him and he PROVES that he is not legally drunk, you should have the common decency to not manufacture some BS charge to stick on him.......unless you have an axe to grind.

to me it smells like DWB and an officer that was too proud to just let the guy go and admit he was WRONG. Swallow that pride and do your job.

Honestly, this sounds more like the cops should be affraid if they pull over any blackman for as you call it for DWB.

He was speeding and had been drinking, what should have the cop done got on his knees given him a hummer and said sorry have a nice day? If you call an incident like this DWB, you will make it to where cops can not arrest, pull over any blackman and that is wrong. He broke the law, he deserves what happens based upon what the laws of washington are.

Is negaligent driving a misdemenar? If it is a felony then I think that is BS and way wrong because the charge does not fit the crime.

Hervoyel
07-26-2007, 12:23 PM

He may indeed be overstepping the boundaries here. Maybe Warren was only going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. Maybe the only reason this police officer decided to pull Warren Moon over was because he saw a black man driving an expensive vehicle.

I honestly don't know because I wasn't there.

I know that Warren Moon did blow a .067 which is just .013 from being above the legal limit. That number isn't being disputed if I'm not mistaken.

I know that Warren Moon said that he wasn't drunk and the number above agrees with him. I don't think anyone is disputing that either.

That's what I know. I know these things as well.

I know that I never pulled over an intoxicated driver who admitted to being drunk. I know that almost every one that I did pull over told me that they had the standard "just a couple of drinks". That may or may not be relevent to Mr. Moons case but I'm adding it here so you can see where my thought process is coming from.

I know that the state of Washington didn't pass whatever law they have on the books to account for "Negligent Driving" just to make "something" stick to Warren Moon. I haven't heard it called "Warrens Law" by anyone yet.

Here's what I question

Of course Warren Moon says that he wasn't drunk. What else is he going to say? I wouldn't admit to being drunk either if I blew a .067 by the time they got me to the breathalyzer. I'd count my lucky stars that I slipped in under the wire.

Of course Warren Moon says he wasn't going as fast as the officer said he was. What else is he going to say? I'm surprised that he conceeded to being 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. If I were him and really wanted to play this right I'd swear that I was going the exact speed limit.

Maybe it was a case of DWB. I don't know and niether does anyone else here. I think it's possible that it was a case of DWB. I don't get the feeling it was however. last year with Fred Weary I instantly recognized the stench of DWB on that incident. There wasn't much of a doubt in my mind at the time. This one with Warren Moon I don't think is so easily discounted. The man has a reputation for enjoying the ladies and partying. He has a history of late nights at mens clubs that goes back to his days here in Houston. He's not just a random black player from "some NFL team". He's a guy who just got voted into the NFL Hall of Fame. Warren Moon is a fairly high profile person around those parts going back to his college days. For all of these reasons I can absolutely see Warren Moon getting in the car after drinking a little too much (I don't believe that he was staggering, flat on his face drunk by the way) and making a bad decision. That's totally conceivable to me.

Second Honeymoon
07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
He may indeed be overstepping the boundaries here. Maybe Warren was only going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. Maybe the only reason this police officer decided to pull Warren Moon over was because he saw a black man driving an expensive vehicle.

I honestly don't know because I wasn't there.

I know that Warren Moon did blow a .067 which is just .013 from being above the legal limit. That number isn't being disputed if I'm not mistaken.

I know that Warren Moon said that he wasn't drunk and the number above agrees with him. I don't think anyone is disputing that either.

That's what I know. I know these things as well.

I know that I never pulled over an intoxicated driver who admitted to being drunk. I know that almost every one that I did pull over told me that they had the standard "just a couple of drinks". That may or may not be relevent to Mr. Moons case but I'm adding it here so you can see where my thought process is coming from.

I know that the state of Washington didn't pass whatever law they have on the books to account for "Negligent Driving" just to make "something" stick to Warren Moon. I haven't heard it called "Warrens Law" by anyone yet.

Here's what I question

Of course Warren Moon says that he wasn't drunk. What else is he going to say? I wouldn't admit to being drunk either if I blew a .067 by the time they got me to the breathalyzer. I'd count my lucky stars that I slipped in under the wire.

Of course Warren Moon says he wasn't going as fast as the officer said he was. What else is he going to say? I'm surprised that he conceeded to being 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. If I were him and really wanted to play this right I'd swear that I was going the exact speed limit.

Maybe it was a case of DWB. I don't know and niether does anyone else here. I think it's possible that it was a case of DWB. I don't get the feeling it was however. last year with Fred Weary I instantly recognized the stench of DWB on that incident. There wasn't much of a doubt in my mind at the time. This one with Warren Moon I don't think is so easily discounted. The man has a reputation for enjoying the ladies and partying. He has a history of late nights at mens clubs that goes back to his days here in Houston. He's not just a random black player from "some NFL team". He's a guy who just got voted into the NFL Hall of Fame. Warren Moon is a fairly high profile person around those parts going back to his college days. For all of these reasons I can absolutely see Warren Moon getting in the car after drinking a little too much (I don't believe that he was staggering, flat on his face drunk by the way) and making a bad decision. That's totally conceivable to me.

I agree with everything you said. Neither of us were there and as an officer yourself, you have a better hold on what really goes through a cop's mind during a traffic stop and in assessing fines/charges. Cop's have to deal with some really crappy stuff and are always one traffic stop away from a trip to the hospital...or worse. I respect that and understand that. I just think the stress of the job can wear on a guy over time and make them jaded towards their true credo, Protect and Serve.

Sometimes personal agendas, biases whether economic, cultural, or racial, and pride can get in the way of a man's thinking. Any man, not just an officer. An officer just happens to have a lot of power in his hands and needs to continue to work on keeping those things at bay.

I have no problem with Moon being given a breathalyzer but felt it should have been done in the field. If the county doesn't have the resources or technology to do this then they need to fix that. Maybe Moon refused it so they had to book him and then test him. Maybe that is a law in Washington. I am ignorant to those facts but I just felt he should not have been charged with negligent driving after proving that he was telling the truth and not drunk. My dad always told me that showing respect to a police officer with a polite 'Yes Sir' (or 'Yes Ma'am) and that honesty was the best policy. That doesn't seem to be the case here. He was honest, told the truth, but was booked like a criminal for speeding. A bit harsh imho and I just wonder why it happened? If it's not because he was black, famous, and/or wealthy then its either a money hungry court or because Moon was disrespectful towards the police officer (which could very well be true). I don't think this would be considered SOP.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone I know being a jerk to their mother or a policeman/woman. it's just ignorant.