PDA

View Full Version : Schaub takes over Texans team looking for first winning season

Double Barrel
07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Schaub takes over Texans team looking for first winning season

By Kristie Rieken, AP Sports Writer

The Texans are relying on a first-time starter at quarterback and a 30-year-old running back to solve their longtime offensive woes.

Matt Schaub and Ahman Green will begin their first season in Houston when the Texans open training camp Friday. The pair joins a team with a defense led by last year's top draft pick Mario Williams, whose development will be a key to Houston's success after a disappointing rookie season.

The Texans hope Schaub and Green invigorate the offense after David Carr managed just two touchdown passes in the last 10 games of 2006.

Schaub has already ingratiated himself to Texans veterans, most notably Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson, by spending the spring and summer working out with and getting to know his teammates. Players and coaches alike believe the touted backup can be the leader the team needs but never had in Carr, who was dumped after the Texans posted their fifth straight losing record.

"I've been impressed with the way he handles himself," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's a lot to handle. You go and make a trade like that for a kid and the pressure to come in here and take over this football team is great, but he's handled himself tremendously this offseason. He's been a great worker, very confident kid about his opportunity and what he's fixing to go take on."

Despite finishing 6-10 last season, the Texans have something to build on after winning their final two games for their first consecutive victories since 2004. One of those was a morale-building Christmas Eve win over Indianapolis, the first in franchise history.

Source / Rest of story (http://www.usatoday.com:80/sports/football/2007-07-23-3684401660_x.htm)

It's nothing that we haven't already read before, but it's still nice to see some relatively pos press from an AP writer in a national newspaper like USA Today.

DBCooper
07-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I find it interesting that in all the "expert" analysis of the offseason, Schaub would be great in Atlanta and Green Bay got worse for losing Green.

But the Texans are hanging their hopes on an unproven QB and an over-the-hill RB.

The way I see it, Houston got better at both positions. Hopefully much better.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not sold on Schaub, he better be worth the #8 in the draft, and 2 second rounders who could have used to grab a guy like LaMarr Woodly or Justin Blalock.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm not sold on Schaub, he better be worth the #8 in the draft, and 2 second rounders who could have used to grab a guy like LaMarr Woodly or Justin Blalock.

What? That's not what we traded for him. We didn't give up a first rounder and 2 second rounders. We traded the 8th for the 10th in the first round and those 2 second rounders AND we got the guy at 10 that we probably would have picked at 8. So, we got the same guy only cheaper. That's basically like we just traded 2 2nd rounders for this guy.

Pointwise, we gave up what amounts to a #20-#21 pick for him. He should be ready to play and most rookie QBs aren't.

Double Barrel
07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I find it interesting that in all the "expert" analysis of the offseason, Schaub would be great in Atlanta and Green Bay got worse for losing Green.

But the Texans are hanging their hopes on an unproven QB and an over-the-hill RB.

The way I see it, Houston got better at both positions. Hopefully much better.

yep, good point! :howdy:

I believe that Schaub and Green are better than what we had before, so I see them both as default upgrades. Obviously, how good they will be remains to be seen, and we can only speculate at this point. But our HC now has a QB that he chose to run the offense, and he speaks highly of Schaub. I respect Kubiak's opinion, so I see the positives instead of being negative on the unknowns.

Mike Kerns
07-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I know its embarassing to admit through this whole Michael Vick fiasco, but as a former Atlantan, I have followed the Falcons since the Steve Bartkowski & Gerald Riggs days. Even when Vicks hype was through the roof, plenty of us were touting for Matt Schaub. People can throw stats & the fact that he has only played two games all they want. The guy is a leader and I am convinced everyone here will be satisfied with him. :texflag:

Rampage
07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I know its embarassing to admit through this whole Michael Vick fiasco, but as a former Atlantan, I have followed the Falcons since the Steve Bartkowski & Gerald Riggs days. Even when Vicks hype was through the roof, plenty of us were touting for Matt Schaub. People can throw stats & the fact that he has only played two games all they want. The guy is a leader and I am convinced everyone here will be satisfied with him. :texflag:

Everyone calls on the back-up when the starter starts to stink it up. The last Schaub game in my memory was Week 17, in Lincoln Financial Field. Schaub vs. 2nd and 3rd string Eagle Defenders and getting his ass destroyed, picks, sacks horrible passes, it was a HORRIBLE try-out.

The second I saw that game end, I prayed we didn't make a move for Schaub. He better prove me wrong, he better prove me DAMN wrong.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Everyone calls on the back-up when the starter starts to stink it up. The last Schaub game in my memory was Week 17, in Lincoln Financial Field. Schaub vs. 2nd and 3rd string Eagle Defenders and getting his ass destroyed, picks, sacks horrible passes, it was a HORRIBLE try-out.

The second I saw that game end, I prayed we didn't make a move for Schaub. He better prove me wrong, he better prove me DAMN wrong.

Let's see, he went 15/21 for 175 yards in less than a half of play. Hey, that's more than Carr's average for a full game. He threw a TD and a pick and was sacked twice. One of those sacks was when he stumbled pulling out of center and fell down. If I remember correctly, he was playing from behind when the Eagles knew he was going to be throwing.

He came in for Vick who had gone 8-14 for 81 yards and a TD and had been sacked 3x.

IIRC, the Eagles were playing for a playoff spot.

He looks a helluva lot better than Carr.

real
07-25-2007, 02:00 PM

LOL....

I don't even have the strength to argue...:shades:

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 02:09 PM
LOL....

I don't even have the strength to argue...:shades:

No point in arguing. You would make more headway arguing with a pile of rocks. A dead pile of rocks.

TexanAddict
07-25-2007, 02:23 PM

Looks like we have our first Schaub hater and he has yet to play a down for us.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Sorry, but until this guy steps on the field, people need to stop saying he's good. Because he has been garbage every times he's played for the Falcons.

Pantherstang84
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Sorry, but until this guy steps on the field, people need to stop saying he's good. Because he has been garbage every times he's played for the Falcons.

Your wrong and over generalizing at the same time. Just like my wife. I forget to take out the garbage one time and she says I never take out the garbage. Yes. I'm saying your being less than truthful.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Your wrong and over generalizing.

Prove me wrong. Let's see kitty cat.

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM

Atlanta Passing
C/ATT YDS TD INT
Schaub 18/34 298 3 0

Yep every time he has been on the field he has been terrible.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Atlanta Passing
C/ATT YDS TD INT
Schaub 18/34 298 3 0

Yep every time he has been on the field he has been terrible.

Was that his game against a Patriots secondary that was among the worst in the NFL? Was that also the game that Vick was scheduled to start and at the last minute Schaub was thrown into the line-up without the Pats having any substantial tape on him or game planned for him?

Pantherstang84
07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Prove me wrong. Let's see kitty cat.

Well Canuck. If I had a way to post his entire starts against the Sea Chickens and the Patriots on You Tube, you would have egg on your face.

But here is a snippet anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0

Pantherstang84
07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Was that his game against a Patriots secondary that was among the worst in the NFL? Was that also the game that Vick was scheduled to start and at the last minute Schaub was thrown into the line-up without the Pats having any substantial tape on him or game planned for him?

You're not trying to crawfish are you Canuck? The man proves you wrong and now your trying to dispell his proof. Come on. The crow is fine. Eat up!

The fact of the matter is. You said "every times" Matt Schaub has played he stunk up the joint. You have been proven wrong. Eat up.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Well Canuck. If I had a way to post his entire starts against the Sea Chickens and the Patriots on You Tube, you would have egg on your face.

But here is a snippet anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMd3FdudDH0

Hmm, I'm glad you have a life Mr.Pussycat

DBCooper
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Making friends fast, Rampage.

Pantherstang84
07-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Hmm, I'm glad you have a life Mr.Pussycat

Nice comeback.:cool:

Just man up and admit you were wrong.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Nice comeback.:cool:

Just man up and admit you were wrong.

But I was right..........I don't see how tearing up horrible secondary, in a game where you haven't been game planned for and doing it ONLY ONCE merits you becoming a good, capable NFL QB.

I guess Charlie Batch is a Hall of Fame QB, he's been great with Pitt his entire career there.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Making friends fast, Rampage.

It's not my fault these idiots aren't realists.

DBCooper
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
It's not my fault these idiots aren't realists.

Just as a courtesy, the mods around here don't play around.

Your posts on a few of these threads have been out of line and if you would like to stay, try to make it a little friendlier.

real
07-25-2007, 03:16 PM
But I was right..........I don't see how tearing up horrible secondary, in a game where you haven't been game planned for and doing it ONLY ONCE merits you becoming a good, capable NFL QB.

I guess Charlie Batch is a Hall of Fame QB, he's been great with Pitt his entire career there.

Why be so foolish to assume this is the only thing that has been evaluated when forming an opinion on Schaub ?

Mike Kerns
07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Lets see....do we have an ignore feature?:gun:

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Lets see....do we have an ignore feature?:gun:

Why yes there is.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, its no problem being critical of the franchise and the players of the Texans. We all do it, have done it, and probably will do it in the future. it's the nature of being a fan and the Texans track record isn't exactly stellar. But when you start criticizing a guy that we are counting on so much before he even plays a down, don't be surprised if you get rolled.

Forums are for discussion, brotherhood (sisterhood too TC and nflforher) and a little smacktalkin every once in a while. Let the guy play and then feel free to wack away at him. Until then, play nice and try and stay somewhat positive. We don't need optimism but unsubstantiated negativity is just unnecessary.

believe me, if God forbid Schaub looks bad after being given a legit shot at developing (2-3 years) I will be the first calling for a change and it won't just be at QB. I just don't think its gonna happen. Schaub looks legit even though I saw him release the ball quite low in a clip...it was almost Carr-like but without the javelin follow through. Hopefully it was just an abberation.

Carr Bombed
07-25-2007, 04:14 PM
This guy is used to watching Ricky run and canadian football games, who cares what his opinion is anyway.

Theres a reason why Schaub was highly regarded around the league and it wasn't, because "he got his a$% destroyed everytime he took the field".

Rampage
07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
This guy is used to watching Ricky run and canadian football games, who cares what his opinion is anyway.

Theres a reason why Schaub was highly regarded around the league and it wasn't, because "he got his a$% destroyed everytime he took the field".

Your right, because the CFL is my favorite sport. Go watch NASCAR or something, it's really exciting watching cars drive around in circles. But what do you expect? Americans are idiots and thats the only pass time they can really understand. Another reason why the American education system is among the worst in 1st world countries.

Pantherstang84
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM

I think he is no longer with us.

ObsiWan
07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Schaub must be pretty dang good, IMO. For a team hurting for picks like we were to give two picks up to get him says a lot. Especially when you consider that Sage Rosenfels didn't stink up the place whenever he got some playing time.

And if, perish the thought, something happens to Matt, we still have Sage who has shown he can operate this offense.

I'm feeling pretty good about this season meself.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Schaub must be pretty dang good, IMO. For a team hurting for picks like we were to give two picks up to get him says a lot. Especially when you consider that Sage Rosenfels didn't stink up the place whenever he got some playing time.

And if, perish the thought, something happens to Matt, we still have Sage who has shown he can operate this offense.

I'm feeling pretty good about this season meself.

there ya go...oh and I am with you that I thought Sage almost earned himself a look but obviously Kubes and Co. did not. Lets hope it works out.

ObsiWan
07-25-2007, 07:29 PM
there ya go...oh and I am with you that I thought Sage almost earned himself a look but obviously Kubes and Co. did not. Lets hope it works out.

Exactly.
In fact, my "dream" scenario at the first of the year was that Sage, Carr, and Jake would duke it out for the starter job. Let the best man win. Then we somehow end up with Peterson (hey, this is my fantasy, leave me alone) in the 1st round, the best lineman still available in the 2nd round, and a free safety in the third. I suspect Jacoby might have still been available in the fourth round. Obviously, that's just a guess.

But all things considered, the guys we have should work out for us quite nicely.

Can't wait for camp to start. Got my TC tickets for both sessions on Sunday and Thursday evening too!!
:gotexans1

Mike Kerns
07-26-2007, 07:59 AM
I think he is no longer with us.

Good Riddance...

I remember last year when Cowboys fans were saying Drew Bledsoe was suffering because his O-Line was awful. Yet, Tony Romo comes into the game...and suddenly the O-Line is solid. I expect to see alot of this with Schaub.