PDA

View Full Version : Abbate to FB ?

nunusguy
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
The Texans made another move of sorts. Former Wake Forest LB Jon Abbate, who like Walker, was not selected after entering the draft a year early, has been moved to fullback The team feels Abbate's build (under 6-feet/240 pounds) and minimal speed (4.90-second forty), coupled with the intensity he plays with, makes him a better fit as a lead blocker.

A league source told Scout.com there is a real belief Abbate will start the
http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/660973.html
Is this a bunch of crapolo, or is there a basis in fact to it as far as anybody knows ?

Vinny
07-24-2007, 12:20 PM
usually teams start to try out guys at other positions before they release them if they have some good traits. Who knows? This may work out for him...but he isn't very fast so he will need to light people up. Picking up a player in space and getting a block isn't as easy as it looks. Jon Wells couldn't run block to save his life...that's why his experiment failed at FB. I'd watch some games on tape and he was awful in the run blocking game.

real
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I hope it works out for him...

I also like the fact that the Texans seem to be giving guys every opprotunity to make the squad...

Lucky
07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
A league source told Scout.com there is a real belief Abbate will start the...

Let me finish that quote"
"...the season as Houston's top backup fullback."

Wow. I thought it was going to say "start the season on the practice squad." I'd hate for Leach to get an early injury, and your only backup hasn't played FB since maybe high school. Weird.

Here's an ironic story on Abbate's decision to go to Wake Forest rather than Florida State, from DenverBroncos.com. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=6663)

In the autumn of 2002, Abbate was a star at Harrison High School in Powder Springs, Ga., amassing 207 tackles -- over 15 per game, the most in the football-wealthy Peach State that season. He was the region's defensive player of the year as selected by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and was named to Rivals.com's top 100 list.

Many schools wanted him. Florida State, however, had the inside track; his parents are alumni and took him to Doak Campbell Stadium for games frequently.

"We were always in Tallahassee," Abbate said.

That could have continued for another four years. But in spite of Abbate's prodigious tackling total as a senior at Harrison, FSU saw him as a fullback.

"Florida State showed me attention as a fullback and I don't want to play on the offensive side of the ball," Abbate said. "So it was hard for my parents at first. I was born and raised a Seminole. Both my parents (went) to Florida State (as did) my aunts, my uncles.

"But," Abbate added, "all things work out for a reason."
Did I say weird?

real
07-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I'd love for Abbate to win the back-up fullback role...

I think he'd be decent as a fullback, but where I think his real value would lie is on special teams...

I think our special teams unit this year will have some nice young eager players on it...

nunusguy
07-24-2007, 12:34 PM
All I can say is this is really high praise for this kid because I have found no history of him playing anyplace but defense, and this goes all the way back to his HS days in GA.
I dunno, but apparently the Texans are so impressed by him that they want to find a place for him somewhere on the roster, even if it requires him playing a position which is totally foreign to him. But I do seem to recall that he is also an outstanding special teams player.
Quite a tribute for someone whos an undrafted NFL rookie. A real diamond in the rough it would seem.

rickyb
07-24-2007, 01:12 PM
You know, I see this in my business a lot: folks are quick to type-cast someone based upon their past experience.

Give me someone with aptitude, guts, and heart any day of the week. New skills can be learned, and old skills can be transferred/leveraged.

Go, Abbate, go. Wreck 'em. Blow 'em up. FB could be fun.

Spike
07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I guess I have mixed feelings about this. On the downside, this can be viewed as another "project." The transition from college to the pros is difficult enough, without having to change positions...and in this case, sides of the field.

On the upside, making a move like this can result in finding a dimond in the rough that fits well into your system. All accounts are that Abbate is first and foremost a football player, so if he physically fits the bill, this may be a good move for him. I am no coach...but I would think that a smart player could use his experience on the defensive side of the ball to pick up the right blocks and pass protect.

This is another illustration of what I have heard Smith and Kubiak mention on several occassions - that all back-ups have to demonstrate that they can contribute on special teams. I think the coaches see something in Abbate that suggests that he could contribute more on special teams than Leach...so this provides the best opportunity for them to get more bang for their buck out of one roster spot.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
All I can say is this is really high praise for this kid because I have found no history of him playing anyplace but defense, and this goes all the way back to his HS days in GA.
I dunno, but apparently the Texans are so impressed by him that they want to find a place for him somewhere on the roster, even if it requires him playing a position which is totally foreign to him. But I do seem to recall that he is also an outstanding special teams player.
Quite a tribute for someone whos an undrafted NFL rookie. A real diamond in the rough it would seem.

Here's a video shining a little light on his past. He's an outstanding story to say the least. Like I'd previously posted, he's a decent player. The difference is, he plays the game with heart.

I think myself or somebody else posted this when we first signed him, but stories like this are nice to be remembered.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXCUvTDCl9U&mode=related&search=

GuerillaBlack
07-24-2007, 01:48 PM
You know, I see this in my business a lot: folks are quick to type-cast someone based upon their past experience.

Give me someone with aptitude, guts, and heart any day of the week. New skills can be learned, and old skills can be transferred/leveraged.

Go, Abbate, go. Wreck 'em. Blow 'em up. FB could be fun.

Exactly. People are writing it off. I think it could be turn out to be something good. Let's give the guy a chance.

Porky
07-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Make him a two way player. Play LB and FB whose real role is as a ST demon.:pirate:

ArlingtonTexan
07-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Our current starting FB make a similiar transition if I am not mistaken.

Edit: I do know it was in college when he switched.

Runner
07-24-2007, 06:42 PM

That's because in general players are perceived as very good as soon as they join this organization. No matter how tortuous their routes here, they are leaders, provide good depth, will thrive under Kubiak, are sleepers, whatever. This can be good though; that is what fandom is about. It just leads to surprise when the roster is cut to 80 or 90:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40115

Sometimes it seems the only players not liked are those that are on the roster. I think that's because more people have actually seen them play. It is easier to ignore downside on a scouting report than on the TV every Sunday. It can be tough when players don't live up to unreasonable expectations.

Texans_Chick
07-24-2007, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=nunusguy;696179]The Texans made another move of sorts. Former Wake Forest LB Jon Abbate, who like Walker, was not selected after entering the draft a year early, has been moved to fullback The team feels Abbate's build (under 6-feet/240 pounds) and minimal speed (4.90-second forty), coupled with the intensity he plays with, makes him a better fit as a lead blocker.

A league source told Scout.com there is a real belief Abbate will start the
http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/660973.html

I believe he ran his forty time with a busted up hammy. So I am guessing he is a little faster than that.

Rampage
07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Hm, I'm not really sure if Abbate could make the squad as a back. Green, Dayne, and Leach are locks. Teams usually carry 5 backs on their roster, Samkon Gado I think is a lock for the 3rd RB and the 4th spot could go to a pleasant surprise running back/special teamer and the 5th spot at FB could be down to Cook and Abbate, I really think that battle is a toss-up.

real
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
I think Abbate has a good chance at beating out Cook....

Cook isn't anything special + Abbate will probably be a good special teamer...I think if Abbate even shows signs that he's capable and competent enough to play the position I think he has a good shot...

PS...I'm going to go out on a limb and say Samkon doesn't make this team...I don't think Lundy does either...I believe Taylor will be that third back and can possibly see a lot of game time action...Of course it remains to be seen how these battles shape up but this is how I think it plays out...

LORK 88
07-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Well this would explain why on the main site it said his number was 47. Anyways, this will definitely be yet another interesting story to keep up when camp is underway. I'm not so much worried about his blocking as I am his catching, but we'll see if he can pull it off.

barrett
07-25-2007, 02:26 AM
if i'm not mistaken though, didn't they try Taylor out at fullback during OTA's? I remember reading some speculation that this was for the purpose of keeping an extra RB on the roster. Does this mean that one of those presumed RB spots is not as secure as we think it is? and if so, is it Dayne, Taylor, Lundy, or Gado that doesn't make the cut? One Texans fan that I know has already stated that he believes Dayne wont even make it out of camp. Thoughts?

Matt
07-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I believe he ran his forty time with a busted up hammy. So I am guessing he is a little faster than that.

Yeah. IIRC, he tweaked it pretty badly and his coach told him not to even run (and possibly hurt his draft stock). He wanted to show that he was tough, so he did. Maybe not the smartest move in retrospect, but you gotta respect that kind of heart.:sbad:

nunusguy
07-25-2007, 08:31 AM
PS...I'm going to go out on a limb and say Samkon doesn't make this team...I don't think Lundy does either...I believe Taylor will be that third back and can possibly see a lot of game time action
I think its clear that Taylor is the most talented of the younger backs, atleast in terms of being a pure runner & having the burst to break something for a mid-range gain and maybe even longer. I dunno how he is about picking up the blitz, but certainly he has a huge issue with hanging on to the ball and no doubt that will be his show-stopper if he does not get it under control.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
they like the guy for special teams and they are tring to find a position for him to justify the roster spot. What it, the anoucemant, shouts at me is he isn't going to make it as a NFL LB. Not his year. Not next year. Not ever. They're giving him a chance to dig his finger nails into the cliff. Now whether or not he can hold on is anyones guess. Reading more than that into is a mistake. Getting switched three days befor camp is not a good sign. My money says he's destined for the PS. They like the guy enough as a person to keep him around for a year to sniff at him. Better than selling electronics at the Wall Mart.

maddogmrb
07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
With his tenacity I was hoping he would get a real shot at LB because we really need help on the outside.:d:

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 08:49 AM
I think its clear that Taylor is the most talented of the younger backs, atleast in terms of being a pure runner & having the burst to break something for a mid-range gain and maybe even longer. I dunno how he is about picking up the blitz, but certainly he has a huge issue with hanging on to the ball and no doubt that will be his show-stopper if he does not get it under control.

That's all true. But Kubes as is Shanahan, are from the zero tollerence school of coaching when it comes to fumbling. This camp is Criss Taylor's last chance. He keeps putting the ball on the ground, tallented or not, he gets his buss ticket out of town. And you can book that. Potential don't feed the bull dog. And a RB if prety worthless if the HC can't depend on him.

real
07-25-2007, 08:54 AM
How many times has Chris Taylor fumbled ?

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
With his tenacity I was hoping he would get a real shot at LB because we really need help on the outside.:d:

Yes I like the guy a lot also. I did want him to suceed at LB. I think he would be happy at the cahnce to make the PS, and help out in a pinch when someone went down. Might be the next Steve Tasker special teams guy and be a beast at that. Someone likes him a lot for sure to be making this kind of effort with him.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 08:58 AM

Too GD much for Kubiak's tastes. And he's the guy that counts.

real
07-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Once the pads get put on, the football players will weed themselves out.

If Abbate is out there playing ball (which I think he'll be doing) he has a real shot of making the team over Cook...It's not like Cook is this immense presence on the football field who will be next to impossible to pass up on the depth chart...

Abbate shouldn't have much trouble adjusting to FB either...

real
07-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Too GD much for Kubiak's tastes. And he's the guy that counts.

Did he fumble in the regular season when he got his shot ? I think he fumbled once in the pre-season and once in the regular season if I remember correctly...will have to look that up...

The only reason I asked is because he was very good at holding on to the ball when he was in college...

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Did he fumble in the regular season when he got his shot ? I think he fumbled once in the pre-season and once in the regular season if I remember correctly...will have to look that up...

The only reason I asked is because he was very good at holding on to the ball when he was in college...

Well xt, the only stat I know of is Kubiak calling the guy out after the ota's finished up and told him point blank, in front of the whole team mind you, "what kept you off the roster last year son? " Now he cares enough to call the guy out. But he did it as a last chance warning. He didn't embarress the guy for nothing. He is a high end tallent. But I stand by what I posted. Kubes isn't going to be teased by the guy forever. It's put up or pack up time for Mr. Taylor.

real
07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Well xt, the only stat I know of is Kubiak calling the guy out after the ota's finished up and told him point blank, in front of the whole team mind you, "what kept you off the roster last year son? " Now he cares enough to call the guy out. But he did it as a last chance warning. He didn't embarress the guy for nothing. He is a high end tallent. But I stand by what I posted. Kubes isn't going to be teased by the guy forever. It's put up or pack up time for Mr. Taylor.

None of that is relevant to why I asked the question.

I was asking because I was trying to determine how much of a problem this is for him. Sure once or twice is too much for Kubiak, but I'm trying to determine whether or not Chris truly has a fumbling 'problem'.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM

I've lost count.:wild:

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 09:58 AM

I was asking because I was trying to determine how much of a problem this is for him. Sure once or twice is too much for Kubiak, but I'm trying to determine whether or not Chris truly has a fumbling 'problem'.

If the coach is calling you out on the problem ...in front of the team, it's not just relavant, in Kubiak's mind it's imperative. He is not securing the football to the HC's liking. And aparently he is not making progess to improve. Securing the football is a mental not a phsycal thing. I stand by what I posted. He is on the bubble.

nunusguy
07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
If the coach is calling you out on the problem ...in front of the team, it's not just relavant, in Kubiak's mind it's imperative. He is not securing the football to the HC's liking. And aparently he is not making progess to improve. Securing the football is a mental not a phsycal thing. I stand by what I posted. He is on the bubble.
Exactly. And we all saw and heard that on the NFL-Access presentation of the Texans OTA session several weeks ago.
Really Kubiacks perception is all that's important here, but I'm sure it has a solid basis in reality.

real
07-25-2007, 10:10 AM

Didn't dispute what you posted.

I'm trying to figure out how much of a problem this is for Chris, not for Kubiak...I think we all know Kubiak wasn't too happy about the fumbles...I honestly think you're doing a little spinning, but that's besides the point...

but if you want props for stating the obvious rhetoric of "Kubiak isn't pleased about the fumbles", then kudos I guess...

P.S. Coaches don't call out players to put shame on them.

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 10:32 AM

just because the guy does not fumble in limited playing time does not mean he does not have a problem holding onto it during tc or practice, and please spare me the iverson crap, if you cant do it in practice, you wont get enough time to do it during a game.

real
07-25-2007, 10:38 AM
just because the guy does not fumble in limited playing time does not mean he does not have a problem holding onto it during tc or practice, and please spare me the iverson crap, if you cant do it in practice, you wont get enough time to do it during a game.

What are you talking about ?

Where does it say he's been fumbling in practice ?

I seriously haven't seen this....I guess you guys just know something I don't...

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
What are you talking about ?

Where does it say he's been fumbling in practice ?

I seriously haven't seen this....I guess you guys just know something I don't...

That was the whole point. That was why Kubiak called him out. IIRC, in the clip Kubiak said that he'd put the ball on the ground a couple of times in that practice session. He's got to maintain focus.