PDA

View Full Version : Frye in fold. 2 picks to go

Overalls
07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4992530.html

No info given. Just that he agreed to terms.

Monday, the Texans continued talks with their unsigned rookies, including Amobi Okoye and Jacoby Jones. They also officially signed Brandon Harrison (fifth round) to a four-year, $1,847,125 which includes a $182,125 signing bonus. Kasey Studdard (sixth round) signed a four-year, $1,765,600 deal, which includes a $100,600 signing bonus.

Progress made.

YoungTexanFan
07-24-2007, 12:05 PM
I just don't get that warm tingly feeling about Frye. I really like the Studdard signing, but I'm fairly indifferent about Frye and feel he will actually prevent us from drafting a legit starting calibur LT soon.

Goldensilence
07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
I think Frye is pretty Raw but if he proves to be coachable he'll be interesting in the next year or so. I thought he was a good insurance policy pick over the next few years.

I also think Kubiak does want to run more of a ZBS but doesn't have the personnel to pull it off. That's where i think the zone/power mix from Sherman comes in. Looks like for the most part we're grooming linemen for the future.

rollinstone18
07-24-2007, 01:07 PM
So Diles, Okoye and Jones are still yet to sign?

beerlover
07-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I just don't get that warm tingly feeling about Frye. I really like the Studdard signing, but I'm fairly indifferent about Frye and feel he will actually prevent us from drafting a legit starting calibur LT soon.

5th rd. like Gaither :heart:

Lucky
07-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Diles was the 1st pick to sign.

real
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I like Frye...

I don't know if he is going to be an eventual starter for us or not, but I like him as an athlete and football player...

I think at minimum he is a solid back up for us

beerlover
07-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Frye is a project - time will tell - defies categorization - could play any position on the line thus provides solid depth - better run blocker than pass protector - my best guess would be Pitts back up :shades:

HOU-TEX
07-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I like Frye...

I don't know if he is going to be an eventual starter for us or not, but I like him as an athlete and football player...

I think at minimum he is a solid back up for us

I like Frye as well. I think he has the potential to be a starter for us down the road. He definitely has more athleticism than Studdard.

YoungTexanFan
07-24-2007, 06:29 PM
5th rd. like Gaither :heart:

This I deserve.

Texans_Chick
07-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I heard that Jacoby Jones is signed too.

Overalls
07-24-2007, 07:14 PM

I heard that on 610 also. I am hoping for big things out of him.

YoungTexanFan
07-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I like Frye as well. I think he has the potential to be a starter for us down the road. He definitely has more athleticism than Studdard.

We see this differently. I think Studdard will be an above average guard for us soon, and will be a steadying force on our line. I think he is rock solid. Frye has so many questions that it is hard to expect much out of him. Most of the project OT's that are drafted late are more developed as pass-blockers already or have outstanding feet and long arms. Frye is athletic, but isn't quite the typical project OT...of course Spencer wasn't anything close to a typical LT. Kid should be at RG.

real
07-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't think Frye nor Studdard start for us at any point in point in the near future, and maybe in their whole careers, unless someone gets injured...

YoungTexanFan
07-25-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't think Frye nor Studdard start for us at any point in point in the near future, and maybe in their whole careers, unless someone gets injured...

I think Studdard will start next year. I think he plays enough this year. I doubt Frye sees the field for this year, and sucks it up next year because he isn't ready, and falls into a Seth Wand type cycle with vicious riddiculing and delaying of development from coaching.

whiskeyrbl
07-25-2007, 05:14 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texans | J. Jones officially signs
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:46:53 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have officially signed third-round draft choice WR Jacoby Jones. Terms of the contract were not disclosed, but it has been reported the contract is a four-year deal.

www.kffl.com

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 10:07 AM

I got a feeling Frye is your next Texan's center. He was never drafted as an OLT canidate. Mark White is not likly to make the club. But it seems that they're tracking in the direction of finding guys for '09 and 10. Pitts can't go on for ever. Neither can Flanagan or McKinney.

Koolaid Time
07-25-2007, 10:30 AM

Okoye hasn't singed....

Note that Miami #9 hasnít signed Ted Ginn and the 49ers #11 havnít signed Patrick Willis either...

Once of these guys sign, it may move things...

real
07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
only 5 first round guys have signed to my understanding.

awtysst
07-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Frye is a project - time will tell - defies categorization - could play any position on the line thus provides solid depth - better run blocker than pass protector - my best guess would be Pitts back up :shades:

Yes. I agree with this assessment. Studdard and Frye share a few similar traits. Studdard might not be a prototypical ZBS lineman, but he is nasty, works hard on every play and gives his 100% on every play. Frye also has a good work ethic and looks like he is willng to learn. Remember all, these are late draft picks. This is when you look for diamonds in the rough.

awtysst
07-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I got a feeling Frye is your next Texan's center. He was never drafted as an OLT canidate. Mark White is not likly to make the club. But it seems that they're tracking in the direction of finding guys for '09 and 10. Pitts can't go on for ever. Neither can Flanagan or McKinney.

I think Studdard is our Future Center and Fry is a future Swing guard backup or maybe backup Tackle swing. I don't see him as a Center though he might be able to play it.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Okoye hasn't singed....

Note that Miami #9 hasnít signed Ted Ginn and the 49ers #11 havnít signed Patrick Willis either...

Once of these guys sign, it may move things...

Chris Davis of San Deigo signed the other day . They should start to fall now.
Always seams to go bottom up. Anyone think Quinn will be in on time ?

Spike
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I saw this thread start yesterday and was under the impression that Amobi was the only rookie left unsigned. However, in this morning's Chronicle they state that Amobi AND Frye are the only two players that haven't agreed to terms. Are we sure that the Frye contract is signed and delivered?

Rampage
07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
only 5 first round guys have signed to my understanding.

Greg Olson
Craig Davis
Robert Mechem
Lawrence Timmons

That's all I can think of.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I think Studdard is our Future Center and Fry is a future Swing guard backup or maybe backup Tackle swing. I don't see him as a Center though he might be able to play it.

He is strong, smart and fast. I'm in the other direction. Athleticaly speaking, Studdard is closer to the right garud prospect and Frye has the quicks to play outside at Rt. I think beerlover's assement is spot on Frye. He could play everything except RG and OLT. I believe we're all agreed that Hogden is not the long term answer at center. Frye's skill set fits the position, especailly in our division. A faster ,stonger ,bigger bill cury. time will tell indeed. Might just have Dwight Stephenson in the fold.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 11:11 AM
I think what everyone has to remember is only 1 or 2 of these players we have drafted or signed as undrafted FA's will turn out to be good players, the rest will be career back-ups or might be working in an office 3 years from now.

real
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
I think what everyone has to remember is only 1 or 2 of these players we have drafted or signed as undrafted FA's will turn out to be good players, the rest will be career back-ups or might be working in an office 3 years from now.

B.S.

Signed,

The '06 Texans draft class...

Rampage
07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
B.S.

Signed,

The '06 Texans draft class...

The only great player we had last year was Meco. Williams was hurt all season so we can't judge him yet. I really don't see anyone else who was drafted with turn out to be a good, impact NFL pro. Because Owen Daniels doesn't appear to be a Top 10 NFL tight-end.

real
07-25-2007, 11:42 AM
The only great player we had last year was Meco. Williams was hurt all season so we can't judge him yet. I really don't see anyone else who was drafted with turn out to be a good, impact NFL pro. Because Owen Daniels doesn't appear to be a Top 10 NFL tight-end.

I think every single one of our draft picks played and a couple of undrafted FA's and even a few guys of the street from last year played well for us.

You said only 1 or 2 of our FA's and draft picks will turn out to be "good" players...

I just don't think that's necessarily true, especially given how well the crop from last year did...

the wonger need food
07-25-2007, 12:06 PM

It looks like we may have 8-9 starters out of these last 2 draft classes. If your theory is correct this is going to be a terrible team.

BTW... Owen Daniels will be a top 5 TE within a few years.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
"BTW... Owen Daniels will be a top 5 TE within a few years."

Yeah if the guy is floating around in the middle rounds of a fantasy draft I take the guy for sure...this season. Right after the dufus in the league takes Crumpler without MV. Daniels was a very good pick for us. If half of the '07 guys do as well as the '06 guys we had a great draft.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
It looks like we may have 8-9 starters out of these last 2 draft classes. If your theory is correct this is going to be a terrible team.

BTW... Owen Daniels will be a top 5 TE within a few years.

I highly doubt were going to be a good team, and you really can't expect that. In my eyes, Carr is a better QB then Schaub. The line Schaub is behind isn't any better then the one Carr had to deal with. We also have a 30 year old running back who has proven that he is on the decline. Our secondary is among the worst in the NFL and our front 7 is young and inexperienced.

Were going to take some lumps again this season, but I'd rather finish 4-12 with a shot at Darren McFadden, Jake Long, DeSean Jackson or Calais Campbell opposed to finishing 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs and end up picking between 10-15.

There is no doubt in my mind we are building a champion, but it takes time, I don't know many expansion teams in a 26+ team league that wins a title in their first 10 years of existence.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
I highly doubt were going to be a good team, and you really can't expect that. In my eyes, Carr is a better QB then Schaub. The line Schaub is behind isn't any better then the one Carr had to deal with. We also have a 30 year old running back who has proven that he is on the decline. Our secondary is among the worst in the NFL and our front 7 is young and inexperienced.

Were going to take some lumps again this season, but I'd rather finish 4-12 with a shot at Darren McFadden, Jake Long, DeSean Jackson or Calais Campbell opposed to finishing 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs and end up picking between 10-15.

There is no doubt in my mind we are building a champion, but it takes time, I don't know many expansion teams in a 26+ team league that wins a title in their first 10 years of existence.

I agree with everything you just posted. I KNEW when we won the last two last year that our shot at getting Joe Thomas went down the tubes. However, Kubiak is not playing for the '08 draft. He's tring to build a winning team now. All of these guys tallented or not are playing for thier rice bowl. They could very well get out the gate 3-0. It could happen. They survive and go throught the road period of the schedule @ 500...not to far fechted to believe that they could catch lightening in a bottle. Saw a terrible Oilers team do it with a lot less tallent vs the field in 1967.
A good team to me would be 3-3 within the division and the young defense improving their collective production this season. They just need to finally have a foundation where they can go out and get a few free agent pieces to make a play off run. Eight and eight would prove to me that they're ready to spend some money on the FA market in the '08 off season. Get a ball hawking FS and a will LB terror off the edge, this team is prety darn close.

'08 draft sets up nicly for them. Plenty of QB prospects will come off the board early and often. We don't need those. Darren McFaddin would be nice. I'd settle for an OLT and Ian Johnson in the third. With Frye, Black, Salaam and Winston, this club is loaded at RT.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 12:58 PM

dude, everyone needs to stop whining about the LT position. for crying out loud. people act like we neglect the OL or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. This isn't fantasy football. You just can't magically draft starting OL in the 1st Round and consider everything fixed.

The fact is that the Texans have spent 2 of their Top 5 picks on OT when you look at the past 2 drafts. Shouldn't we give our young guys a chance to play with a real QB behind center and give them a chance to develop before we start incessantly whining about the OL and specifically the LT position.

We didn't draft an OT in the 1st Round this past season BECAUSE THERE WASN"T ONE WORTH THE 10th PICK. We had just spent 2!!! 3rd Rounders on OT prospects. Unless you are picking 1-3 you arent going to get a sure fire LT prospect. You have to develop them and give them time. Some fans just think it can be magically fixed and if someone doesn't prove capable within 16 games, that its time to just give up. Jonathan Ogden's don't grow on trees. You have to draft them after a horrific season or you have to coach and develop your prospects.

I just can't stand the sheeple mentality that forments this whining about our OL when it hasnt even gotten a chance yet. I think Winston, Spencer, or Black could develop into a quality LT. Now that we don't have a pile of garbage at QB maybe the OL will shine like it has when Sage or even Banks were behind center.

NO MORE SHEEPLE

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM

another sheeple opinion. from canada no less. Carr sucked dude, and Schaub may not be great and he may fail in Houston but he has already proven to be a more capable QB than Carr in the limited chances. Go ask Atlanta if they want Schaub back or would they rather have Carr....yeah thought so. Carr was treated like the plague this offseason, but wahtever...some Canuck said Carr was great so they must all be wrong.

Carr sucked dude. Just because you are picked #1 overall doesnt mean you are good. It means you were overrated and overrated by one of the worst GMs in history.

Why be such a pessimist? Why not give Schaub a chance before you say he is worse than THE BIGGEST LOSER IN THE HISTORY OF STARTING QBs, David Carr. It is an unquestionable fact that Carr was the losingest Starting QB in NFL History with 3 or more seasons of football.....so please back away from 'Carr is better than Schaub'......Carr has been better than NO ONE!!!

GO TEXANS and to anyone who thinks we are going to suck...suck this

the wonger need food
07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
In my eyes, Carr is a better QB then Schaub.

This is where you lost all credibility.

... and name-dropping college players doesn't offset it.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
dude, everyone needs to stop whining about the LT position. for crying out loud. people act like we neglect the OL or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. This isn't fantasy football. You just can't magically draft starting OL in the 1st Round and consider everything fixed.

The fact is that the Texans have spent 2 of their Top 5 picks on OT when you look at the past 2 drafts. Shouldn't we give our young guys a chance to play with a real QB behind center and give them a chance to develop before we start incessantly whining about the OL and specifically the LT position.

We didn't draft an OT in the 1st Round this past season BECAUSE THERE WASN"T ONE WORTH THE 10th PICK. We had just spent 2!!! 3rd Rounders on OT prospects. Unless you are picking 1-3 you arent going to get a sure fire LT prospect. You have to develop them and give them time. Some fans just think it can be magically fixed and if someone doesn't prove capable within 16 games, that its time to just give up. Jonathan Ogden's don't grow on trees. You have to draft them after a horrific season or you have to coach and develop your prospects.

I just can't stand the sheeple mentality that forments this whining about our OL when it hasnt even gotten a chance yet. I think Winston, Spencer, or Black could develop into a quality LT. Now that we don't have a pile of garbage at QB maybe the OL will shine like it has when Sage or even Banks were behind center.

NO MORE SHEEPLE

Well get use to being agrovated then. All that satement makes you is wrong. Black surrendered 13 sacks last year. Winston will only get there if Jesus micales him there and Spencer may or may not be back. We'll see in a couple of weeks . What gets me is how folks who have seen this sheet for six years and five free agents four picks we're still waiting for someone to ...emegre. The only thing that drafting an OLT high is that you got less chance of a bust. They do bust ...but you decrease your odds expodetially. That there thingy is a mathmatical probablity fact. And slumming in the third round for a 65 and 66 is not a serious effort to slove the problem. And they haven't been serious in solving the problem since Bosselli annouced he couldn't go. Our whole season boils down to the point of whether or not Spencer's knee swells. Yeah that's planning there.
I guess you could try to make the point that developement works. Color me unimpressed.

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Only a loser would want a losing record just so he can pick a certain player. If you are already looking into the draft for '08 you have some serious issues.

the wonger need food
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Well get use to being agrovated then. All that satement makes you is wrong. Black surrendered 13 sacks last year. Winston will only get there if Jesus micales him there and Spencer may or may not be back. We'll see in a couple of weeks . What gets me is how folks who have seen this sheet for six years and five free agents four picks we're still waiting for someone to ...emegre. The only thing that drafting an OLT high is that you got less chance of a bust. They do bust ...but you decrease your odds expodetially. That there thingy is a mathmatical probablity fact. And slumming in the third round for a 65 and 66 is not a serious effort to slove the problem. And they haven't been serious in since Bosselli anouced he couldn't go. Our whole season boils down to the point of whether or not Spencer's knee swells. Yeah that's planning there.
I guess you could try to make the point that developement works. Color me unimpressed.

Right. Tell this to the Patriots and Broncos. Then go talk to the Raiders about Robert Gallery.

The only sheet we saw the past 5 years was a QB with zero pocket presence and less of a brain for football.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Right. Tell this to the Patriots and Broncos. Then go talk to the Raiders about Robert Gallery.

The only sheet we saw the past 5 years was a QB with zero pocket presence and less of a brain for football.

Back to the YKW thingy again. Well I see it. Just a point of time befor you see it also. DC wasn't satin. Neither is MS. But it isn't going to work no matter who the QB and RB are untill they get the o-line settled. I believe Matt Light was a high day one pick. I stand to be corrected. As far as the broncos are concerned...they're guy is getting long in the tooth. Going to be real interesting to see how low they go to get their "Developmental" guy. Shanahan might go slumming for a FA once again. They hit gold for sure with Lepis. But you really telling this board that the Broncos are going to leave Jay Cutler's blind side to an undrafted free agent guy ?

So just tell me how many years should we wait for our Leppis ? How many QBs do we have to go through ? Well after his head was almost taken off by Robert Mathis the first paly of the first Colts game DC came back and made ALL the thows. All of them. I wait with baited breath to see How MS fairs under simular circumstances. You've got it marked as a lock and you have too. If your wrong, you're going to look prety darn silly if it turns out the DC was indeed not satin. If it wasn't all of DC's fault, who's fault was it ? Tallent matters. And more so on the o-line. Starts in the trenches. And as a point of fact not one of our o-lineman is ranked top ten by any preseason pulication. Not one of them. But you just let us know when they start emergin there. I'm looking forward to our less than twenty five sack top ten o-line season.

real
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
. And as a point of fact not one of our o-lineman is ranked top ten by any preseason pulication. Not one of them. But you just let us know when they start emergin there.

If it's a top ten list doesn't that mean that ATLEAST 22 teams won't have a linemen on that list ?

And if two linemen are in the top ten from the same team that brings the total to 23 teams without a mention...

But at the least there are 22 teams with no linemen on that list...

Great gauge...

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 02:14 PM
If it's a top ten list doesn't that mean that ATLEAST 22 teams won't have a linemen on that list ?

And if two linemen are in the top ten from the same team that brings the total to 23 teams without a mention...

But at the least there are 22 teams with no linemen on that list...

Great gauge...

no top ten x five positons....fifty guys. We don't have a top fifty guy. Not at Rt .not at Center. Not at LT. not at RG or LG. Nada, zero, zilch. none. Our offense ranks 28th for 06 and there is no one in the cupboard that is going to make an immediate impact this season on the o-line. We go with what we had last year. Kubiak wants to see a 50% reduction in sacks with the same group of people. At some point some are going to realize that it isn't an effort thing. It's a tallent thing. Over all as a group, they under achieve to the bottom of the pack.

Well xt no gaurntee that Arizona and Cleveland will improve rushing the ball this season. What I will say we meet those two in 08 or 09 we're going to get wacked. And the main reason will be the difference in tallent along the o-line. It'd just be nice to have the one guy we could hang our hats on week in and week out. We don't have that guy. Never have had that guy.
The bottom line on Spencer, if the knee doesn't come around he will make #9 on the list of o-lineman who were brought in here at tackle to start and busted. Nine guys in six seasons. If nothing else we're consistant at finding the wrong stuff. Tallent matters. And DC was not satin.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:32 PM
another sheeple opinion. from canada no less. Carr sucked dude, and Schaub may not be great and he may fail in Houston but he has already proven to be a more capable QB than Carr in the limited chances. Go ask Atlanta if they want Schaub back or would they rather have Carr....yeah thought so. Carr was treated like the plague this offseason, but wahtever...some Canuck said Carr was great so they must all be wrong.

Canada and Canuck? What does that have to do with the debate at hand? Do you have mental issues? Do you have to refer to peoples nationalities because your opinions is skewed at best?

Matt Schaub started 2 games in his NFL career. He has 6 TDs and 6 INTs with a 52.2 completion percentage. But yet, he's proved to be more capable? Are you kidding me? He got TORN APART in the last game of the season last year against 2nd and 3rd string Eagle defenders, you think Schaub is going to be a "capable" QB against Jacksonville's FIRST string defense?

Wake the hell up Mr.Fantasy, get your head out the gutter, put down your "VOTE BUSH" election sign and think about what Carr went through in Houston and think about what Schaub will now do with the exact same O-Line.

People in Atlanta would rather have Carr then Schuab, you know why? Because I've come from a long generation of Falcon fans and I have followed the Falcons as a "secondary team" and Schuab STUNK. People in Atlanta want Schuab back, but they would rather have Carr. I've been on the message boards, I've talked to my relatives, I've listened to the Radio Stations, I've read the online news paper articles. when Carolina signed Carr the boards went head over heels saying they would do anything to get Carr in as an insurance policy for Vick.

:fans:

the wonger need food
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
People in Atlanta would rather have Carr then Schuab, you know why? Because I've come from a long generation of Falcon fans and I have followed the Falcons as a "secondary team" and Schuab STUNK. People in Atlanta want Schuab back, but they would rather have Carr. I've been on the message boards, I've talked to my relatives, I've listened to the Radio Stations, I've read the online news paper articles. when Carolina signed Carr the boards went head over heels saying they would do anything to get Carr in as an insurance policy for Vick.

And I thought you were just uninformed...

I nominate this paragraph for most ignorant of the offseason.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 02:56 PM
And I thought you were just uninformed...

I nominate this paragraph for most ignorant of the offseason.

/signed

real
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I second the nomination...

Specnatz
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Canada and Canuck? What does that have to do with the debate at hand? Do you have mental issues? Do you have to refer to peoples nationalities because your opinions is skewed at best?

Matt Schaub started 2 games in his NFL career. He has 6 TDs and 6 INTs with a 52.2 completion percentage. But yet, he's proved to be more capable? Are you kidding me? He got TORN APART in the last game of the season last year against 2nd and 3rd string Eagle defenders, you think Schaub is going to be a "capable" QB against Jacksonville's FIRST string defense?

Wake the hell up Mr.Fantasy, get your head out the gutter, put down your "VOTE BUSH" election sign and think about what Carr went through in Houston and think about what Schaub will now do with the exact same O-Line.

Congratz for following the Falcons, to bad you had iyour head n the sand up your butt or someone elses because, most people around here read the Falcons boards when the deal for Schaub was made and a lot were upset stating the wrong QB was traded.

Not sure what your definition of tore up is, but you really need to think about redefining it because coming into the game @ 14:39 in the third quarter, 3rd down and 21 yards to get a first down, is not going to have a great game statistically. Not to mention the score finished 24 to 17, so it is not like they got drummed.

I think you have gotten hit in the head once to many times.

Count me in on that as well.

Pantherstang84
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Wait a minute. Are you saying the game tape I've been watching was doctored? Matt Schaub is not as good as he looked in the 2 games he started for the Falcons? That must have been a stunt double I was watching.

Oh snap. Your saying Matt Schuab stinks, not Matt Schaub.:wild:

real
07-25-2007, 04:09 PM
no top ten x five positons....fifty guys. We don't have a top fifty guy. Not at Rt .not at Center. Not at LT. not at RG or LG. Nada, zero, zilch. none.

LMAO...no matter how you fraction it out you end up with only ten teams being on that list for a given position and 22 teams being left off of it...

Trust me when I say we weren't the only team left off the list...:shades:

Our offense ranks 28th for 06 and there is no one in the cupboard that is going to make an immediate impact this season on the o-line.

And that had nothing to do with David throwing 2 tds over his last ten games...Gotcha...

Well xt no gaurntee that Arizona and Cleveland will improve rushing the ball this season. What I will say we meet those two in 08 or 09 we're going to get wacked.

Sure because those guys are powerhouses. Duh. :gun:

The bottom line on Spencer, if the knee doesn't come around he will make #9 on the list of o-lineman who were brought in here at tackle to start and busted. Nine guys in six seasons. If nothing else we're consistant at finding the wrong stuff. Tallent matters. And DC was not satin.

The common denominator with the previous O-line was David...Now that he's gone, and good riddance, we'll see if it makes a difference in our offense...

I have no problem waiting to see.

Texans Horror
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Sooo...

Anybody think Spencer being put on the PUP might influence how much moolah the Frye-guy asks for?

real
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
no.

Porky
07-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Well get use to being agrovated then. All that satement makes you is wrong. Black surrendered 13 sacks last year. Winston will only get there if Jesus micales him there and Spencer may or may not be back. We'll see in a couple of weeks . What gets me is how folks who have seen this sheet for six years and five free agents four picks we're still waiting for someone to ...emegre. The only thing that drafting an OLT high is that you got less chance of a bust. They do bust ...but you decrease your odds expodetially. That there thingy is a mathmatical probablity fact. And slumming in the third round for a 65 and 66 is not a serious effort to slove the problem. And they haven't been serious in solving the problem since Bosselli annouced he couldn't go. Our whole season boils down to the point of whether or not Spencer's knee swells. Yeah that's planning there.

For a guy who has been around a long time, and who has some decent posts here and there, that has to be a new low in bad takes by an establshed member. Sorry but that take reeks. Since it's an opinion I won't bad rep you, but I am tempted. :devilpig:

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 04:58 PM
back on topic, I like the fact that we took Frye and Stouddard late in the draft after spending two 3rd Rounders the previous year. I have to say I was a bit disappointed that we didn't try and go after Gaither in the Supplemental. We could have bid a 5th round pick and got him. They must have saw something they didnt like or felt he didn't project well into their scheme. The Ravens sure liked him and they have a pretty good track record when it comes to drafting OL.

one thing is for sure, Kubiak and Smith have the keys to the franchise. here is to hoping that they lead the franchise to a great future.

Mike Kerns
07-25-2007, 05:05 PM
As I said before, I am a former Atlantan and still follow Atlanta sports passionately as I do Houston sports. Saying that people there wanted Carr over Schaub? OK, now youre just making stuff up. People were really upset about it. I dont know if youre just saying this stuff to get under peoples skin, or if you truly believe it...

Porky
07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I haven't seen this much ignorance in one thread since hEiZikiEL wAs ARouND maKInG WiErD pOstS aNd WRiTinG lIkE ThiS.

Mike Kerns
07-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I haven't seen this much ignorance in one thread since hEiZikiEL wAs ARouND maKInG WiErD pOstS aNd WRiTinG lIkE ThiS.

Wow, lol. I remember him. Monarch was crazy too. Wheres he been? Oh, yeah...probaly on the Titans boards.

Porky
07-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Wow, lol. I remember him. Monarch was crazy too. Wheres he been? Oh, yeah...probaly on the Titans boards.

Monarch was in beautiful majestic downtown Houston weeping in his Earl Grey english tea, over the fact that the one and only king of all of football majesty was selected by the wobegone Titans of Possum Holler. Once this travesty to all of mankind was completed, Monarch had no further reason to go on, and then ascended to the heavens where he has been reunited with Longhorns of his gloriest past. :gun:

Mike Kerns
07-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Monarch was in beautiful majestic downtown Houston weeping in his Earl Grey english tea, over the fact that the one and only king of all of football majesty was selected by the wobegone Titans of Possum Holler. Once this travesty to all of mankind was completed, Monarch had no further reason to go on, and then ascended to the heavens where he has been reunited with Longhorns of his gloriest past. :gun:

Yeah, his posts were crazy. He really believed, though.

Back on topic. Is Okoye really going to hold out?

ObsiWan
07-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, his posts were crazy. He really believed, though.

Back on topic. Is Okoye really going to hold out?

I would doubt it. They want him here. He wants to be here. He doesn't strike me as a "money-money-money / me-me-me" type. If he's not in camp on time, its because the rules won't let him.

From HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3419)
Okoye update: First-round pick Amobi Okoye remains the only draft pick unsigned. During their brief history, the Texans have never had to endure a rookie holdout. Even with the first practice less than 48 hours away, it appears that won’t change this season.

maddogmrb
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=threetoedpete;696607] But it seems that they're tracking in the direction of finding guys for '09 and 10. QUOTE]

What else can you say? They haven't brought in any oline talent for the immediate future.

maddogmrb
07-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Not sure how you can make this statement? We don't even know who our starters are at this point.

maddogmrb
07-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Might just have Dwight Stephenson in the fold.

Man ........ guys, we go from never being able to start to all-pro for this guy. Let's be realistic. He is a low round draft pick with alot of upside. He could be a bust, we don't have anything to base that on at this point. He could become very good, we don't have anything to base that on, either. Chances are he will be a career competent backup however, since our oline is still so unsettled and the FO didn't bring in anybody significant to shore it up, there's no telling what he may do for us.

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Something to work off of for Okoye

FALCONS SIGN ANDERSON

After eight straight days of bad news, the Atlanta Falcons finally have something positive to discuss.

A league source tells us that defensive end Jamaal Anderson, the No. 8 overall choice in the 2007 draft, has agreed to terms with the Falcons.

Per the source, Anderson inked a five-year deal with $15.36 million in guaranteed money, which represents a 13.4 percent increase over the No. 8 selection in 2006. The total possible value of the deal is $31 million, with easily attainable escalators in years four and five based on playing time and sacks.

Anderson is the highest first-round rookie to date to agree to terms. The fact that he signed a five-year deal means that he'll get to free agency faster, since the maximum duration of contracts for the players selected in the first half of round one is six years.

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Something to work off of for Okoye

FALCONS SIGN ANDERSON

After eight straight days of bad news, the Atlanta Falcons finally have something positive to discuss.

yeah, hopefully anderson's signing will start the chain reaction. here is something kind of interesting:

"I'm just leaving that to my agents and the Texans," Okoye said. "I have a strong feeling they have it under control, and we're going to surprise you all sometime soon. I think it's clear on both sides that we want to be there at the appropriate time."Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4996610.html)

the link to the chron article also has some good quotes from j jones talking about his signing bonus in relation to his birthdate, and his desire to be in camp on time.

Okoye update: First-round pick Amobi Okoye remains the only draft pick unsigned. During their brief history, the Texans have never had to endure a rookie holdout. Even with the first practice less than 48 hours away, it appears that wonít change this season.

Defensive tackle Travis Johnson is the only Texans rookie to have held out, missing two days of camp in 2005.

ok......someone for the texans messed that part up

Mike Kerns
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
ok......someone for the texans messed that part up

Yeah, for actually giving the guy a contract...

threetoedpete
07-26-2007, 10:42 AM
For a guy who has been around a long time, and who has some decent posts here and there, that has to be a new low in bad takes by an establshed member. Sorry but that take reeks. Since it's an opinion I won't bad rep you, but I am tempted. :devilpig:

Well porky indulge yourself. I didn't know it at the time ...but the Spencer dealy is now a fact. We won't see him untill Mid October by the rule and probably the first of November as a football fact. And anyone who watched Erick man RT last season should know he cannot, will not, be a high end OLT in the league. And Black did give up 13 sacks last year. Now the whole season is tetering on the back of Salaam and his thirty something legs.They already have fourteen games of grind on them. And David Carr did not put the team in this position. The Texans did. They chose this scenario. Don't have to wait and see there Xt. The writting is already on the wall. This tragedy has already gone to press. They have Black, Winston, or Frye manning that island on the left side, MS begins his indoctranation into being a Texan's QB. He will indeed earn his money. I don't care what kind of foot work , ball handling, arm strength, feild vision the man has, it isn't going to work. They are as a fact after six seasons still tring to find an OLT. And XT & second honeymoons therom that any body will do is faulty at best, and short sighted at worst. Our history has proven, it ain't so.

real
07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Not sure how you can make this statement? We don't even know who our starters are at this point.

:um:

Ok ?

You may not know, but I think a majority of us do.

GP
07-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Well porky indulge yourself. I didn't know it at the time ...but the Spencer dealy is now a fact. We won't see him untill Mid October by the rule and probably the first of November as a football fact. And anyone who watched Erick man RT last season should know he cannot, will not, be a high end OLT in the league. And Black did give up 13 sacks last year. Now the whole season is tetering on the back of Salaam and his thirty something legs.They already have fourteen games of grind on them. And David Carr did not put the team in this position. The Texans did. They chose this scenario. Don't have to wait and see there Xt. The writting is already on the wall. This tragedy has already gone to press. They have Black, Winston, or Frye manning that island on the left side, MS begins his indoctranation into being a Texan's QB. He will indeed earn his money. I don't care what kind of foot work , ball handling, arm strength, feild vision the man has, it isn't going to work. They are as a fact after six seasons still tring to find an OLT. And XT & second honeymoons therom that any body will do is faulty at best, and short sighted at worst. Our history has proven, it ain't so.

I'm going to give you two numbers: 67 and 41.

Know what those numbers represent?

One of those numbers is the 2005 sack total on David Carr.

The other of those numbers is the 2006 sack total on David Carr.

Have you made your pick yet, as to which is which?

Kubiak (Yes, KUBIAK) reduced David's sack total by 26 in just one season. David was forced to hand the ball off, as evidenced by the Colts game where David had zero sacks, went something like 16-23 for 160 yards passing. How do you go an entire game with ZERO sacks, have a completion percentage of 16-23 (well above 50%), and pass for a mere 160 yards?

It's easy: David stunk as a QB. He has zero NFL skills. He was a college wonderboy, and McNair (who has admitted his mistake) fell in love with his character, his posterboy looks, and his wonderboy college skills in California.

Let's stop acting like the offensive line is so poor and awful, OK?

The time for that attitude was back when we had Capers and we just didn't know if it was Capers, or David, or the O line. Well, we got 2-3 out of the way...so let's see if the poor, beleagured o line can make it this year for Schaub.

My bet is on the o line. They're not nearly as bad as Capers and David made them look. And frankly, they get an apology from me for the years on these boards that I bashed them and ripped them.

Give them a break.

If Kubiak managed to reduce the sacks by 26...then I say let's give the o line the benefit of the doubt for a change (especially with a REAL QB taking the snaps).

So much crying and agonizing over the o line. They'll do fine. And they would do even better with Spencer.

Pantherstang84
07-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm going to give you two numbers: 67 and 41.

Know what those numbers represent?

One of those numbers is the 2005 sack total on David Carr.

The other of those numbers is the 2006 sack total on David Carr.

Have you made your pick yet, as to which is which?

Kubiak (Yes, KUBIAK) reduced David's sack total by 26 in just one season. David was forced to hand the ball off, as evidenced by the Colts game where David had zero sacks, went something like 16-23 for 160 yards passing. How do you go an entire game with ZERO sacks, have a completion percentage of 16-23 (well above 50%), and pass for a mere 160 yards?

It's easy: David stunk as a QB. He has zero NFL skills. He was a college wonderboy, and McNair (who has admitted his mistake) fell in love with his character, his posterboy looks, and his wonderboy college skills in California.

Let's stop acting like the offensive line is so poor and awful, OK?

The time for that attitude was back when we had Capers and we just didn't know if it was Capers, or David, or the O line. Well, we got 2-3 out of the way...so let's see if the poor, beleagured o line can make it this year for Schaub.

My bet is on the o line. They're not nearly as bad as Capers and David made them look. And frankly, they get an apology from me for the years on these boards that I bashed them and ripped them.

Give them a break.

If Kubiak managed to reduce the sacks by 26...then I say let's give the o line the benefit of the doubt for a change (especially with a REAL QB taking the snaps).

So much crying and agonizing over the o line. They'll do fine. And they would do even better with Spencer.

:thumbup

real
07-26-2007, 11:49 AM

uhhhhh....

David Carr was bad....mmmmmmmk

Porky
07-26-2007, 11:55 AM

You must have some crystal ball that I don't have. :fortune:

First off, Salaam played reasonably well last year. Was he great? No. But, he wasn't a disaster either. If Black is pressed into service, I expect the Texans to game plan around that a little better. There's also the possibility for improvement. Players are not static. And, there is that pesky little fact that somehow the Chiefs still made the playoffs last year, even though the whole season "teetered" on Black playing LT.

As to Eric Winston, I just totally disagree with your take. He got significntly better as the season wore on. I expect him to pick up where he left off, and continue to improve. Do I think he will be a top 5 RT? Probably not, but I won't rule out top 10 in the near future. At worst, I view him as an avg RT. I was fairly impressed over his last 3-4 starts. And, how many rookie tackles are outstanding in year one anyway?

Your sky is falling doom and gloom forecast is fraught with overwrought emotion, without any real substance. :devilpig:

real
07-26-2007, 12:00 PM
First off, Salaam played reasonably well last year. Was he great? No. But, he wasn't a disaster either.

Just to put Salaam and Winston into perspective with Peetey's "high end LT prospects" D'Brick gave up more sacks last year than Salaam and Winston combined...

OOOOOPS!

As to Eric Winston, I just totally disagree with your take. He got significntly better as the season wore on. I expect him to pick up where he left off, and continue to improve. Do I think he will be a top 5 RT? Probably not, but I won't rule out top 10 in the near future. At worst, I view him as an avg RT. I was fairly impressed over his last 3-4 starts. And, how many rookie tackles are outstanding in year one anyway?

Eric Winston is going to be a stud at RT...

P.S. I highly doubt that Winston gets a serious look at LT....

HOU-TEX
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Just to put Salaam and Winston into perspective with Peetey's "high end LT prospects" D'Brick gave up more sacks last year than Salaam and Winston combined...

OOOOOPS!

I agree. Why fix something that ain't broke?

Even though we do not have the "franchise left tackle" yet doesn't mean we're doomed. There are several teams around the league who don't have elite talent at LT and they do just fine.

We'll be ok. The infection is no longer with us now that we have the cure.:cool:

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
You must have some crystal ball that I don't have. :fortune:

First off, Salaam played reasonably well last year. Was he great? No. But, he wasn't a disaster either. If Black is pressed into service, I expect the Texans to game plan around that a little better. There's also the possibility for improvement. Players are not static. And, there is that pesky little fact that somehow the Chiefs still made the playoffs last year, even though the whole season "teetered" on Black playing LT.

Your sky is falling doom and gloom forecast is fraught with overwrought emotion, without any real substance. :devilpig:

Not to nitpick but that should read:

Salaam played reasonably well while hurt most of last year. He's not hurt this year. And all he has to do is hold the fort until game 7.

Goldensilence
07-26-2007, 03:02 PM

OOOOOPS!

Good points. I also thought towards the end of last year they were starting to run well behind Weary and Winston(after he took over at RT). I also think you'll pretty much see the same lineup from last year and not a lot of mix and match done unless due to injury. How much an Oline works together and the familiarity factor can account for a lot.

While i don't think our Oline woes are over just yet i think we have something solid to work with as opposed to the Capers toro style line. I know it's hard to be patient with this franchise Peete but Thomas and Brown were gone and we weren't going to reach on Staley though i think we could've made the trade with Denver. To me passing on that said for one reason or another the staff though DL was more important. Not to be Rude or anything but what options would you have proposed?

While i know Salaam is 31 this year we can't always get scared away on players once they hit 30. If we do that we get what we got the past few years under Capers where once a player hit 30ish we freaked out,started inexperienced players and imploded culminating in a 2-14 season we all had to stomach. I know a lot of guys here as well are ranting about us taking on forger GB and Denver players. Coming from two of the steadiest franchises in the past 10 years can't be too bad of a thing.

I'm really looking forward to this year... i just have good feeling we're about to enjoy one hell of a ride.

real
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Schaub is going to put smiles on a lot of you guys faces...

DBCooper
07-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Schaub is going to put smiles on a lot of you guys faces...

I hope so tru, we need some excitement around here.