PDA

View Full Version : Keenan McCardell agrees

ArlingtonTexan
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
per rotoworld.com

The Washington Post's Jason LaCanfora hears that free agent Keenan McCardell has agreed to terms with the Texans.

The Redskins were the other team pursuing McCardell, but reportedly only offered him the veteran's minimum. In Houston, the 37-year-old could push Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones to start or contribute from the slot.

Vinny
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I hope it is true...we would have a great wrbc at the wr2 and wr3 and can manage playing time by down and distance. The speed guys can come in and stretch the field when needed and McCardell can be a possession receiver in normal down and distance packages. We won't have to rush JJ or put Schaub in positions where he has no experience (or just speedsters) on the field at wr2 with a 3rd and 5 and the game on the line.

Double Barrel
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Sweet! (if true) We'd have a player that could be a leader and a mentor, all rolled up into one! :joker:

Plus, like Vinny said, he could help our offense, too.

Specnatz
07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Sweet! (if true) We'd have a player that could be a leader and a mentor, all rolled up into one! :joker:

Plus, like Vinny said, he could help our offense, too.

We don't need no sticken mentor or leader

signed,

Mike Vick, Qubert and Tank Johnson

real
07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Good news....

Well except for those bubble guys that were hoping to make the team...

badboy
07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
This appears to be a quality pick up if true. Any idea on his speed now?

the wonger need food
07-23-2007, 02:07 PM
You would have thought our local "sports journalists" would have broken this story. I guess they're too busy shooting videos or chasing down Vince Young and/or Reggie Bush stories.

Vinny
07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
he never had much speed (even younger) but his game is not centered on speed. He is a possession wr.

Errant Hothy
07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
This would be great if true. The battle for WB2 and 3, plus the returner's spots, could be very interesting during camp due to recent additions to the WR crops.

Texans_Chick
07-23-2007, 02:34 PM
he never had much speed (even younger) but his game is not centered on speed. He is a possession wr.

True that.

I heard he and his parents who still live in Houston really wanted him to be a Texan.

McCardell's story about how he started out as a 12th round (!) pick and ended up in the league so many years is a testament to his hard work and competitive nature.

Texans_Chick
07-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Here's the link from the WP (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/07/keenan_mccardell_update.html?nav=rss_blog).

DocBar
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
That would be GREAT!! He will be a definite asset for Schaub and AJ. We could really mix it up in the passing game this year!!

HoustonFrog
07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I think this would be a really nice fit. Without reading everything, the guy can run underneath routes and can really be the possession guy you need while your stud, AJ, does his thing and your speed guys stretch the field. He, along with Daniels can work the openings in the 10 yard range and sidelines and you can't underestimate chain movers like that.

Brando
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I hope it's true, he would be a great addition.

also from rotoworld.com

What’s Changed: McCardell wasn’t retained by the Chargers and agreed to a deal with the Texans just before the start of training camp. There, he'll push third-rounder Jacoby Jones and holdover Kevin Walter, who is expected to start, for playing time.
Outlook: McCardell may be a long shot to pass Walter, whom the coaching staff seems high on, but should work out of the slot. Still, he’s lost several steps and shouldn’t have fantasy value at any point.

nunusguy
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
It's really beyond me what all the fuss is about with this guy, because if he was of any real value to a franchise somebody would be more than willing to pay him more than approximately the league miniumum, right ?

Brando
07-23-2007, 03:04 PM
It's really beyond me what all the fuss is about with this guy, because if he was of any real value to a franchise somebody would be more than willing to pay him more than approximately the league miniumum, right ?

Depth.

Specnatz
07-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Gary Kubiak said he wants to make it tuff to make this team, so bringing as much competition as possible is never a bad thing.

:fans:

DocBar
07-23-2007, 03:09 PM
It's really beyond me what all the fuss is about with this guy, because if he was of any real value to a franchise somebody would be more than willing to pay him more than approximately the league miniumum, right ? Weren't you pretty high on the P-Buch deal???:shades:

HoustonFrog
07-23-2007, 03:13 PM

Always depends on what a team is looking for and who they have. Many teams who are set or making moves/pushes might not see the value in paying money to an older guy who isn't speedy but considering our situation, it allows us to take a shot at some WR depth and it brings in a guy who can coach the younger ones and who can still find creases in the field and help out. I wouldn't expect a big contract from any team for him but he still has value to those who are trying to find some pieces to help.

badboy
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks, my thought too but have not followed him. Don't we need someone with a touch of speed to pull DBs off AJ? At least for 20 yds or so? This is the problem I have with Walters and why my hopes for Mathis were so high. 37 is up there for a receiver no matter what examples you can point to.

badboy
07-23-2007, 03:17 PM
I think this would be a really nice fit. Without reading everything, the guy can run underneath routes and can really be the possession guy you need while your stud, AJ, does his thing and your speed guys stretch the field. He, along with Daniels can work the openings in the 10 yard range and sidelines and you can't underestimate chain movers like that.Uh, speed guys? Who would that be after AJ? Most seem to think Mathis will not make it out of TC.

nunusguy
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Weren't you pretty high on the P-Buch deal???:shades:

I was real big on P-Buch, if you were looking for somebody to have on your touch-football team. No man, I basically bashed the dog-dung out of Buchanan for being such a whimp when it came to contact. He really was in the wrong sport.
So what on earth does Phillip Buchanan he have to do with this WR ?

badboy
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Nothing so far on 610 sports radio.

valleytexfan
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I like this if it's true...Keenan would be an excellent tool for our young wideouts...:splits:

Hervoyel
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I think that on this team, at this time McCardell (assuming that all of this is true) is probably a step above the Moulds signing in the following ways.

a) It's a better value by far. If you're going to try and take a chance on bringing an old guy in and seeing if he can contribute to your team it's better to do it around league minimum and without giving up a draft pick of any kind.

b) He's going to be a better fit at what the Texans ask him to do. You take a guy like Moulds who has been "the guy" and who has been able to run away from some people and then plug him in as the sidekick after he loses a step or two and you do not necessarily have a good fit for your possession #2. McCardell has been a possession receiver his entire career and the only people really banging the drum about him losing a step are the ones who just throw that line in whenever they write a story about an older player. As Vinny pointed out this is a guy who has never been particularly fast. That's not what his game is about.

c) Having someone who's truly ready down deep inside to be that sidekick is huge. The circumstances indicate to me that Keenan McCardell wants to be here (as opposed to Moulds who just wanted to not be in Buffalo last year) and understands what his role will be.

I think it's a good move if it's true. Even if he comes of the bench he's better than everyone we've ever had on our bench. This could make a big difference in 2007.

HoustonFrog
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Uh, speed guys? Who would that be after AJ? Most seem to think Mathis will not make it out of TC.

I think that is why we drafted Jacoby and he should get a chance to at least get deep. We also have Andre Davis and Bethel Johnson. If you have AJ on one side, a pass catching guy like Daniels at TE and McCardell or Walters you can put anyone with some go on the outside and let him go and spread the D some. We haven't seen any of them and Lane is raw. Overall though, the speed guys we have aren't ones you depend on but ones that can help keep teams honest.

Brando
07-23-2007, 03:40 PM
I think that is why we drafted Lane and he should get a chance to at least get deep. We also have Andre Davis. If you have AJ on one side, a pass catching guy like Daniels at TE and McCardell or Walters you can put anyone with some go on the outside and let him go and spread the D some. We haven't seen any of them and Lane is raw.

You mean Jacoby Jones from Lane correct?

HoustonFrog
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
You mean JJ from Lane correct?

My bad, I'm drifting today...thanks..I'll correct

Brando
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
My bad, I'm drifting today...thanks..I'll correct

It's Monday.........

:)

Lucky
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Texans say there's no deal with McCardell, according to KILT 610AM's Matt Jackson.

DocBar
07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
I was real big on P-Buch, if you were looking for somebody to have on your touch-football team. No man, I basically bashed the dog-dung out of Buchanan for being such a whimp when it came to contact. He really was in the wrong sport.
So what on earth does Phillip Buchanan he have to do with this WR ?
Just givin ya a hard time.:whip:
I can't remember at all where you stood on P-Buch. I thing McCardell gives us a good receiver who knows how to run routes, the veteran tricks a WR in the NFL has to have and, depending on the contract, good value.

DocBar
07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Texans say there's no deal with McCardell, according to KILT 610AM's Matt Jackson. I knew it...only been back on a few days and someone's crappin all over my heart!!! :gun:

Yankee_In_TX
07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I knew it...only been back on a few days and someone's crappin all over my heart!!! :gun:

There's the line!

Second Honeymoon
07-23-2007, 04:24 PM
sounds like its gonna happen. we could sure use the guy. adding him would make us an average WR and not a below average WR corps like we are now. I just don't think we can count on Andre Davis to give us much. I would have no problem with a starting WR corps of AJ, Keenan, Walter, and Lane/Davis/fill in blank.

damn, I can't wait for ball season to start.

Porky
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
If this happens, a few people need to be eating a big plate of crow, especially since everyone told me I was full of it when I didn't just swallow the BS by the GM hook, line, and sinker. :devilpig:

Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39805&highlight=mccardell)

kiwitexansfan
07-23-2007, 04:48 PM

I don't know, I'll just grab my sun dial.....

Errant Hothy
07-23-2007, 04:56 PM

UPDATE: I emailed Carmine Pirone and Nicholas Scurfield of houstontexans.com and asked about the rumor. Pirone's response was a simple "Not true." So--for now, at least--there you go. Somewhere, Apostrophe Davis just relaxed a little.

Take from it what you will.

Texans_Chick
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM

Take from it what you will.

The Texans do not announce things unless every i is dotted and t is crossed. That's what they do.

Porky
07-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Chances are that this Post guy talked to the agent to get an update, and the agent says we got a tentative deal with the Texans. Might take a day or two to dot the I's and cross the T's. If I were placing odds, I say there is a 80% chance this ends up getting done. I'm not too worried that they are denying it. That is modus operandi for the Texans. :pirate:

badboy
07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I think that is why we drafted Jacoby and he should get a chance to at least get deep. We also have Andre Davis and Bethel Johnson. If you have AJ on one side, a pass catching guy like Daniels at TE and McCardell or Walters you can put anyone with some go on the outside and let him go and spread the D some. We haven't seen any of them and Lane is raw. Overall though, the speed guys we have aren't ones you depend on but ones that can help keep teams honest.I am very hopeful on Jacoby 6 foot 2 5/8 210 lbs but 4.58 is not that fast. Hopefully, he will be AJ like and just go get the ball.

Errant Hothy
07-23-2007, 05:15 PM
The Texans do not announce things unless every i is dotted and t is crossed. That's what they do.

I know, just that the information shold be given. I think odds are that McCardell will sign.

the wonger need food
07-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I guess "agreed to terms" is different from actually signing a contract. This might end up being our 3rd best signing of the offseason.

Speaking of WR's... the NY Giants released Darius Watts yesterday. He had a pretty good rookie season with Kubiak.

Goldensilence
07-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I am very hopeful on Jacoby 6 foot 2 5/8 210 lbs but 4.58 is not that fast. Hopefully, he will be AJ like and just go get the ball.

40 times are nice and flashy but from my understanding it's more football speed that Jacoby has.Guys can have 4.3's but if they don't have the football skills to complement the speed it's pretty useless.

Personally i was hoping for Jason Hill who at least played PAC-10 football for a few years. Jones is raw though and i hope the Coaching staff can polish his skills up and he can really contribute to the team. I do like his size and from accounts i've heard i like his attitude as well.

In the meantime we really need a few of the guys in WR corps to step up and make solid contributions to the positon outside of AJ this year.

real
07-23-2007, 05:35 PM
If you watch Jacoby run you can see the fluidity that he moves with.

He's not a burner, but he will be able to get seperation from defenders because of his quickness and athleticism with his movements.

I also see Jacoby as the type of reciever who can make plays after he catches the ball..

Overalls
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Others are picking it up.

KFFL Breaking News
Texans Agree to Terms With McCardell

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Houston Texans have agreed to terms with unrestricted free-agent WR Keenan McCardell (Chargers). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Blazing Arrow
07-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Do the Texans offically get medicare coverage now? :whip:

sorry could not resist ....

ReliantTexan
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Do the Texans offically get medicare coverage now? :whip:

sorry could not resist ....You're just bitter because your team didn't make a move for him. They really need a #1 WO.

dskillz
07-23-2007, 07:05 PM
You would have thought our local "sports journalists" would have broken this story. I guess they're too busy shooting videos or chasing down Vince Young and/or Reggie Bush stories.

To be fair, it most likely was a leak from the Redskins, so a reporter there would get the news first.

Blazing Arrow
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
You're just bitter because your team didn't make a move for him. They really need a #1 WO.

How would making a move for McCardell help that situation?

Overalls
07-23-2007, 07:13 PM
How would making a move for McCardell help that situation?

He could be somebody to carry a diaper bag for all of the Titans so called "unproven" talents and still be the #1 WR on the team.

Blazing Arrow
07-23-2007, 07:18 PM
He could be somebody to carry a diaper bag for all of the Titans so called "unproven" talents and still be the #1 WR on the team.

Mcardell would have to compete for the #2 spot. Strange how the Titans did not even look in his direction with all of our WR issues. Kind of says something about where he is in his career.

Texans_Chick
07-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Polite reminder. Please keep the trash talk in the appropriate forum. It makes Texans football threads less cluttered with non-topic talk and easier to navigate.

Thankyouthankyouverymuch. :cool:

Blazing Arrow
07-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Polite reminder. Please keep the trash talk in the appropriate forum. It makes Texans football threads less cluttered with non-topic talk and easier to navigate.

Thankyouthankyouverymuch. :cool:

Yeah Overalls ...

reminder understood.

GuerillaBlack
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah Overalls ...

reminder understood.

You just don't stop do you?

Nice pick up by the Texans if true.

Overalls
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah Overalls ...

reminder understood.

SSSHHHHH. Be wery, wery qwuiet.

awtysst
07-23-2007, 07:38 PM
So what does this mean for our WR group. Does B. Johnson now not make the team? Who does.
I figure AJ and Jacoy are locks, but who else is now?

aj.
07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I guess "agreed to terms" is different from actually signing a contract. .

It is.

And sometimes the term "agreed to terms" can be leaked to the media by agents trying to force something to happen, with one team or another.

Texans_Chick
07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Okay, you gotta admire someone's dedication to FF with this blog post. From the interesting footballguys.com website:

"Keenan McCardell: A critical piece to the Texans puzzle?" (http://blog.footballguys.com/2007/07/23/keenan-mccardell-a-critical-piece-to-the-texans-puzzle/)

It's worth a look.

the wonger need food
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Here's John McClain's response to my email...

Keenan and the Texans said it's not true. He said he hasn't spoken to them since last week. He said unless they give more than the minimum for a vet, he won't sign. He has four or five teams interested in signing him to the minimum. Hopefully, it'll be the Texans.

DocBar
07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Here's John McClain's response to my email...

Keenan and the Texans said it's not true. He said he hasn't spoken to them since last week. He said unless they give more than the minimum for a vet, he won't sign. He has four or five teams interested in signing him to the minimum. Hopefully, it'll be the Texans. That sounds like very inside info. Did you personally speak with McCardell and Mr. Smith? :shades: hhmmmm???? LOL

ReliantTexan
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Mcardell would have to compete for the #2 spot. Strange how the Titans did not even look in his direction with all of our WR issues. Kind of says something about where he is in his career.No, I think it says where your GM is in his career.I'm not going to look down on him cause the titans didn't tyry to get him.The titans didn't try to get anybody this offseason.

beerlover
07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
sounds like his agent/or Post contact is efforting to get a better package from Washington :cool:

michaelm
07-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Weren't you pretty high on the P-Buch deal???:shades:

Daaaaaaaaang, Doc... you really know how to hit below the belt!

Carr Bombed
07-24-2007, 12:17 AM
No, I think it says where your GM is in his career.I'm not going to look down on him cause the titans didn't tyry to get him.The titans didn't try to get anybody this offseason.

Yeah I love how Titan fans try to make it sound like we're having a bad offseason. Somebody forgot to tell the Titans the offseason started about 5 months ago.

real
07-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Keenan McCardell denied reports Monday that he was joining the Texans. McCardell said he hasn't agreed to terms with the Texans or any other team. He said he hasn't even spoken to the Texans in a week. While McCardell continues weighing offers from several teams, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he remains hopeful that eventually the veteran wide receiver will choose the Texans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4992530.html

Texans_Chick
07-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Things that make you say hmmmm (via DGDB&D blog)

NFL.com link (http://www.nfl.com/transactions)

Check out Tuesday's transactions:

"Houston Texans Keenan McCardell signed"

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 11:36 AM

Nice find.

Kubiak & Smith's jedi mind tricks have even confuzzled the NFL.

real
07-25-2007, 11:36 AM

That does make you go hmmm....

Rampage
07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
McCardell instantly could become the favorite for grabbing the #2 spot. Hopefully he doesn't fall apart in the second half like Eric Moulds last season.

Errant Hothy
07-25-2007, 11:46 AM

I've had enough of the "is he...isn't he"; untill the man reports to camp I ain't going to believe it. But I hope he does.

And I'm really starting to like DGDB&D.

Texans_Chick
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
McCardell instantly could become the favorite for grabbing the #2 spot. Hopefully he doesn't fall apart in the second half like Eric Moulds last season.

Moulds didn't "fall apart." He wasn't injured.

The Texans stopped throwing the ball as much. Not to the TE, not to the #2, not as much to AJ.

Part of that was the pass protection and the injuries on the offensive line. I think after the Raiders game, they went to operation shut down of the passing game.

Vinny
07-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Moulds didn't "fall apart." He wasn't injured.

The Texans stopped throwing the ball as much. Not to the TE, not to the #2, not as much to AJ.

Part of that was the pass protection and the injuries on the offensive line. I think after the Raiders game, they went to operation shut down of the passing game.
Historically Carr struggled to find his mid reads. It was always first or last read only for years as the guys who were in the middle always eventually disappeared from the offense with Carr at the helm.....I think you are correct that right around the Raider game Kubiak started to understand what he really had in Carr. Kubiak made him read the defense and he was awful with his decision making.....so he shut him down...then released him after the season. Smartest thing I've seen done at Camp Texans in 5 years.

Texans_Chick
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Historically Carr struggled to find his mid reads. It was always first or last read only for years as the guys who were in the middle always eventually disappeared from the offense with Carr at the helm.....I think you are correct that right around the Raider game Kubiak started to understand what he really had in Carr. Kubiak made him read the defense and he was awful with his decision making.....so he shut him down...then released him after the season. Smartest thing I've seen done at Camp Texans in 5 years.

I'm not sure Kubiak had much choice other to shut him down. I think Carr mighta got brained a little bit during the Raiders game. (Did Hulk say something about that? Why am I thinking that?) With no healthy Rosenfels as your #2, and BVP looking non good, and Quinton Porter being a rookie, and an injured offensive line that was barely keeping it together what are you going to do to win games if you are looking that bad?

Operation shut down.

Porky
07-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Absouletly the smartest thing ever in Texans history as far as I am concerned.

As to Keenan, it would seem extremely odd that the official NFL site would post false information. I guess it could be in error, but I doubt it. Maybe he hasn't officially signed yet, but I bet we will see him in camp.

Texans_Chick
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Absouletly the smartest thing ever in Texans history as far as I am concerned.

Personally, I never had a doubt that Kubiak would pull the plug on Carr if in his assessment, Carr didn't have it.

Brian Griese showed some promise in Denver, but they pulled the plug on him when they thought they had a better option.

Really, the biggest difference between last season and this one is that Kubiak knows the players better. He doesn't have to rely as much on others' assessments of the players' abilties and work ethics.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
McCardell signing has all of the apeal to me as warm spit. I'd just as soon see a Walter/Jones platoon and get on with thier progression as to have another thirty something mudding up the waters. Let's find out for sure if we are going to have to invest in another Draft pick now. Is Walter good enough or not? Play him and find out and be done with it. Either the guy's got it or he doesn't. Like being pregnat. Either she is or she isn't. Let's find out if Walter can deliver the goods. McCardel sucking targets away from the two has no appeal to me at all.

Blazing Arrow
07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah I love how Titan fans try to make it sound like we're having a bad offseason. Somebody forgot to tell the Titans the offseason started about 5 months ago.

I am not saying that the Texans had a bad off season. Where in my post did I say that? What I was saying; McCardell is and older WR and I do not see him being much of a benefit to the Texans. He will slow the development of younger WRs for a guy who will not be there in a season or two if he even signs in the first place.

I actually think of all the AFC South teams the Texans made the largest strides to improve.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 01:08 PM
LOL, Titans fans. Enjoy your 3-13 season!

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
LOL, Titans fans. Enjoy your 3-13 season!

what is the problem? he just said the Texans made the most strides this offseason, and he is accurate in this assessment. From the tone of a post of yours earlier, you must think the Texans are going to go 3-13 as well.

i don't see what is so funny. maybe if you like Carr so much you should just head to the panthers board. i am sure there are some people naive enough to share your feelings about Carr and how Schaub is worse than him.

Arrow may be a Titans fan, but he at least believes in his team and waits for results before he passes judgement. You had 5 years of horrible Carr at QB yet you think he is better than Schaub before he has even played one down for the Texans. Sounds like someone had a mancrush.

If you make irresponsible comments on this board, you will be called out.

badboy
07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Okay, you gotta admire someone's dedication to FF with this blog post. From the interesting footballguys.com website:

"Keenan McCardell: A critical piece to the Texans puzzle?" (http://blog.footballguys.com/2007/07/23/keenan-mccardell-a-critical-piece-to-the-texans-puzzle/)

It's worth a look.I agree with his views. I see Mccardell as a push to Walters but think this offense will gain more first downs leading to more passing attempts. We have 3 big strong receivers in addition to TEs. I am looking for more points from the red zone if we can just get there. Speed is not important inside the 20.

badboy
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
McCardell signing has all of the apeal to me as warm spit. I'd just as soon see a Walter/Jones platoon and get on with thier progression as to have another thirty something mudding up the waters. Let's find out for sure if we are going to have to invest in another Draft pick now. Is Walter good enough or not? Play him and find out and be done with it. Either the guy's got it or he doesn't. Like being pregnat. Either she is or she isn't. Let's find out if Walter can deliver the goods. McCardel sucking targets away from the two has no appeal to me at all.I think is exactly what is to happen with Walters. It will be helpful to have a possession type veteran to turn to in case I am right that Walters is not a #2. I expect Mathis (if on the field), Jacoby and Walters to have their legs run off catching a record # of camp passes. Other to get left overs if any.

Texans_Chick
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
McCardell signing has all of the apeal to me as warm spit. I'd just as soon see a Walter/Jones platoon and get on with thier progression as to have another thirty something mudding up the waters. Let's find out for sure if we are going to have to invest in another Draft pick now. Is Walter good enough or not? Play him and find out and be done with it. Either the guy's got it or he doesn't. Like being pregnat. Either she is or she isn't. Let's find out if Walter can deliver the goods. McCardel sucking targets away from the two has no appeal to me at all.

If McCardell is signed for the minimum, the Texans aren't going to feel pressure to play him even if he doesn't have it.

If he's signed, he is more training camp competition and more insurance.

Going into last season, the Texans were banking on a bunch of rookie running backs, and then realized it wasn't working so good and then had to get some experienced guys who weren't in their training camp.

It is uncool to be starting a new quarterback and not give him dependable route runners and hands guys. McCardell is a known quantity. The rest of the receivers aren't.

Kubiak has no problem giving rookies or inexperienced guys playing time if they can play. See e.g. Owen Daniels over Jeb Putzier. But if they are able to get someone like McCardell, then you are not totally screwed if your promising guys aren't dependable pass catchers/route runners.

badboy
07-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I am not saying that the Texans had a bad off season. Where in my post did I say that? What I was saying; McCardell is and older WR and I do not see him being much of a benefit to the Texans. He will slow the development of younger WRs for a guy who will not be there in a season or two if he even signs in the first place.

I actually think of all the AFC South teams the Texans made the largest strides to improve.60 receptions at 10.0 yds avg (over 12 last year) in those 1-2 years would put a smile on my face.

Blazing Arrow
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
60 receptions at 10.0 yds avg (over 12 last year) in those 1-2 years would put a smile on my face.

I think that the 60 receptions would be pushing it. You have to remember the last time he got more then 60 was 2005 and that was with Brees as his QB and a very potent run game in LT that opened up WRs.

If I were to guess I would say he is a 35/500/2 #2 WR on the Texans even with Johnson gobbling up doubles.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 02:18 PM
what is the problem? he just said the Texans made the most strides this offseason, and he is accurate in this assessment. From the tone of a post of yours earlier, you must think the Texans are going to go 3-13 as well.

i don't see what is so funny. maybe if you like Carr so much you should just head to the panthers board. i am sure there are some people naive enough to share your feelings about Carr and how Schaub is worse than him.

Arrow may be a Titans fan, but he at least believes in his team and waits for results before he passes judgement. You had 5 years of horrible Carr at QB yet you think he is better than Schaub before he has even played one down for the Texans. Sounds like someone had a mancrush.

It seems your the only person with a man crush(See your avatar) And Carr has one of the worst lines in the NFL, Schaub has the same line. You expect the line to all of a sudden give Schaub more time then they gave Carr? If so, your living in a dream world pal.

I also firmly believe the Texans will be a 5-7 win team this season, it's called being a realist. I was browsing this board earlier and some fans have the Texans winning 12 games which is ludicrous because it is almost impossible. It's called a building phase, the Texans aren't a "win now" organization. The fan support has been phnominal, and I am POSITIVE you and and other other Texan fan out there would rather have 5 solid years of the Texans winning 10+ games with 3 divison titles oppose to one year where we win 9 games, make a wild-card, get hammered in the Playoffs by the Chargers, Pats or Ravens and then settle for a mid-round draft pick and be a 7-9 win team for 5 straight years with no real team to contend for a title.

Let's take our lumps, get Darren McFadden, Desean Jackson or Jake Long and build a dynasty.

GuerillaBlack
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Give this man a ****ing cigar.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 02:37 PM
If McCardell is signed for the minimum, the Texans aren't going to feel pressure to play him even if he doesn't have it.

If he's signed, he is more training camp competition and more insurance.

Going into last season, the Texans were banking on a bunch of rookie running backs, and then realized it wasn't working so good and then had to get some experienced guys who weren't in their training camp.

It is uncool to be starting a new quarterback and not give him dependable route runners and hands guys. McCardell is a known quantity. The rest of the receivers aren't.

Kubiak has no problem giving rookies or inexperienced guys playing time if they can play. See e.g. Owen Daniels over Jeb Putzier. But if they are able to get someone like McCardell, then you are not totally screwed if your promising guys aren't dependable pass catchers/route runners.

Were they correct or did they miss with Water ? that is the bottom line. McCardle is Moulds II. No one, and I mean no one is going to give a hoot if he is on the other side of A.J. Now Jones on the other hand.....

I know it's a cute story. He gets to finish up in Houston. But football wise, there isn't a good logical reason for this signing. He can't get deep. He barely gets seperation any more. And if Water can't beat him out means Kevin Water was a waisted FA. I guess what I'm saying is that an unkown Water is better than a thirty-seven year old with nothing left in the tank. Anything that takes targets away from Jacoby Jones is a very bad thingy. I kept my mouth shut on Moulds , because i knew where the season was going. Not this time. Waisted move. Don't do it. No logical reason for the signing. The roster spot for one of the young guys is more improtant to me.

Matt Schaub's got a newbie QBs best friend. He's got a good TE in Owen Daniels.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
It seems your the only person with a man crush(See your avatar) And Carr has one of the worst lines in the NFL, Schaub has the same line. You expect the line to all of a sudden give Schaub more time then they gave Carr? If so, your living in a dream world pal.

Carr had plenty of time last year and couldn't read defenses and frequently didn't get the ball out on time. Lots of times he had open receivers, didn't see them, and he panicked and ran into sackers. Carr, although athletic, has very bad pocket presence and rarely used his athleticism to evade rushers. Carr == Rob Johnson.

IF Schaub is who they say he is and does what they say he does, then Schaub, with the same line, will not get sacked as much and will get the ball further down the field to more receivers. Even if Schaub is an average QB, he will do that.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2007, 02:42 PM

I also firmly believe the Texans will be a 5-7 win team this season, it's called being a realist. I was browsing this board earlier and some fans have the Texans winning 12 games which is ludicrous because it is almost impossible. It's called a building phase, the Texans aren't a "win now" organization. The fan support has been phnominal, and I am POSITIVE you and and other other Texan fan out there would rather have 5 solid years of the Texans winning 10+ games with 3 divison titles oppose to one year where we win 9 games, make a wild-card, get hammered in the Playoffs by the Chargers, Pats or Ravens and then settle for a mid-round draft pick and be a 7-9 win team for 5 straight years with no real team to contend for a title.

Let's take our lumps, get Darren McFadden, Desean Jackson or Jake Long and build a dynasty.

your just another apologist.....nothing new around here. i just thought most of them had migrated to the Panthers board....

you blame all of Carr's litany of failures on the OL. you are too short sighted to see that the problems were due to the QB and the scheme that had to be implemented in order for the QB to have any modicum of success.

when your QB can't throw to a Hot Route on a blitz and only burned the blitz about 8 or 9 times in a 5 year span, your gonna get blitzed. A good QB burns the blitz and forces the defense to play honest. When a DC faced Carr, they knew that all they had to do was send the kitchen sink at him and he would panic and either Fresno Tuck or throw a 0-3yard pass.

but whatever, Carr was great and its everyone elses fault. like I said before, Carr was the biggest loser in the history of NFL QBs. That is a statistical fact that can not be denied. No amount of apologies and excuse can dispute that. What you are trying to say is that it was everyone elses fault and not his. The argument doesnt hold water and if Carr was so damn special why was he treated like someone with the ebola virus this past offseason? because he sucks, has bad habits, and has no work ethic.

maybe Canadians should stick to hockey because your takes are wack and are of the Sheeple variety. So take off, eh.

The Hoser

badboy
07-25-2007, 02:42 PM
If he's signed, he is more training camp competition and more insurance. **If this is correct why would he agree to sign with Texans? IMO he has to think he has a chance to start.

Going into last season, the Texans were banking on a bunch of rookie running backs, and then realized it wasn't working so good and then had to get some experienced guys who weren't in their training camp. **Didn't DDW maybe returning play into this?

It is uncool to be starting a new quarterback and not give him dependable route runners and hands guys. McCardell is a known quantity. The rest of the receivers aren't. **We did not give it to Carr. Maybe Schaub will benefit from that mistake.

Kubiak has no problem giving rookies or inexperienced guys playing time if they can play. See e.g. Owen Daniels over Jeb Putzier. But if they are able to get someone like McCardell, then you are not totally screwed if your promising guys aren't dependable pass catchers/route runners.See my ** above

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Were they correct or did they miss with Water ? that is the bottom line. McCardle is Moulds II. No one, and I mean no one is going to give a hoot if he is on the other side of A.J. Now Jones on the other hand.....

I know it's a cute story. He gets to finish up in Houston. But football wise, there isn't a good logical reason for this signing. He can't get deep. He barely gets seperation any more. And if Waters can't eat him out means Waters was a waisted FA. I guess what I'm saying is that an unkown Water is better than a thirty-seven year old with nothing left in the tank. Anything that takes targets away from Jacoby Jones is a very bad thingy. I kept my mouth shut on Moulds , because i knew where the season was going. Not this time. Waisted move. Don't do it. No logical reason for the signing.

OK. Pete, I know you can't spell. But at least come CLOSE on the names. It's not Water. It's not Waters. It's not Walters.

It's WALTER.

I had no idea what you were talking about for 1/2 this post.

McCardell, if he signs, is going to be signing for league minimum. This isn't like EM. This is just bringing in an old guy for a look. If he's still got a little something, great. If not, buh-bye.

gjmac2
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't see a problem with bringing McCardell in. Bringing in competition is not a bad thing, and maybe our young receivers (including AJ), could learn a thing or two.

badboy
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
I think that the 60 receptions would be pushing it. You have to remember the last time he got more then 60 was 2005 and that was with Brees as his QB and a very potent run game in LT that opened up WRs.

If I were to guess I would say he is a 35/500/2 #2 WR on the Texans even with Johnson gobbling up doubles.
I do not disagree with you and that's why I'd be smiling. I think he caught 36 passes in his least productive season in 06. With our new offensive weapons there should be more offensive plays. You have him getting 14 yds per catch. I have at 10. He gained 12 in 06. Let's say he gets 50 passes (increase of 14 from 2006) and split my 10 yds and your 14 @ 12 X 50= 600 yards. That is totally possible and I'll still be smiling. At least it is something to talk about.

the wonger need food
07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
maybe Canadians should stick to hockey

And music.... The greatest rock band of all-time happens to be from Toronto and will be in Houston next month...

badboy
07-25-2007, 03:24 PM
your just another apologist.....nothing new around here. i just thought most of them had migrated to the Panthers board....

you blame all of Carr's litany of failures on the OL. you are too short sighted to see that the problems were due to the QB and the scheme that had to be implemented in order for the QB to have any modicum of success.

when your QB can't throw to a Hot Route on a blitz and only burned the blitz about 8 or 9 times in a 5 year span, your gonna get blitzed. A good QB burns the blitz and forces the defense to play honest. When a DC faced Carr, they knew that all they had to do was send the kitchen sink at him and he would panic and either Fresno Tuck or throw a 0-3yard pass.

but whatever, Carr was great and its everyone elses fault. like I said before, Carr was the biggest loser in the history of NFL QBs. That is a statistical fact that can not be denied. No amount of apologies and excuse can dispute that. What you are trying to say is that it was everyone elses fault and not his. The argument doesnt hold water and if Carr was so damn special why was he treated like someone with the ebola virus this past offseason? because he sucks, has bad habits, and has no work ethic.

maybe Canadians should stick to hockey because your takes are wack and are of the Sheeple variety. So take off, eh.

The Hoser

Second honeymoon understates Carr's issues and you overstate them. I doubt if any player has ever been the focal point of evaluation so diverse as David Carr. The Oline ain't the same. It could be better, could prove to be worse. Walters or whomever could be better than Moulds maybe not. TEs should be better IF Daniels remains healthy and goes all season at a good clip. RBs may be better, maybe not. We are all talking out of emotion and maybes. For me, I choose to be cautiously optimistic. Guess what? Carr is gone. RIP.

Rampage
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM

The Hoser

Go die in war or something you self absorbed, prejudice scum bag.

threetoedpete
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM
OK. Pete, I know you can't spell. But at least come CLOSE on the names. It's not Water. It's not Waters. It's not Walters.

It's WALTER.

I had no idea what you were talking about for 1/2 this post.

McCardell, if he signs, is going to be signing for league minimum. This isn't like EM. This is just bringing in an old guy for a look. If he's still got a little something, great. If not, buh-bye.

Whatever, anything that takes reps away from the two young guys is counter productive and therefore, no matter what a sweet deal, a bad deal. You gotta new QB with two raw WRs. They need every rep they can get. I watched "guys" extrapolate Larry Johnson's projections for '06 also. I find yours with McCarddle just as useful. I wonder now how close you guys were to Mould's final numbers ?

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I watched "guys" extrapolate Larry Johnson's projections for '06 also. I find yours with McCarddle just as useful. I wonder now how close you guys were to Mould's final numbers ?

First off, where did I extrapolate McCardell's numbers?

Secondly, I don't think I ever made a prophecy about Mould's numbers.

Mike Kerns
07-25-2007, 05:17 PM
And music.... The greatest rock band of all-time happens to be from Toronto and will be in Houston next month...

Would that be RUSH? Got my tix already! :wild:

the wonger need food
07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Would that be RUSH? Got my tix already! :wild:

Well.. yeah. I'll be 3rd row center in Houston. 5th row in SA and 2nd row in Dallas.

Texans football, Rush and The Wiggles all in August... does it get any better???

Overalls
07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I actually think of all the AFC South teams the Texans made the largest strides to improve.

For the most part i agree with Blaze on this one. I would rather see what Jacoby Jones can do. I understand that it should not cost us much but how much will the reps he gets take away from our young WRs.

PapaL
07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
I've been trying to keep my mouth shut about this whole McCardell situation. I can't do it anymore. I'm personally getting sick of it. I really like the player he has and think he couls still contribute in some way/shape/form. But honestly the guy is no where near the player he was nor the player he probably thinks he is anymore. Sign the dang contract with whomever and get cracking or file for retirement and move on. This scene has played on long enough.

michaelm
07-26-2007, 08:19 AM
I've been trying to keep my mouth shut about this whole McCardell situation. I can't do it anymore. I'm personally getting sick of it. I really like the player he has and think he couls still contribute in some way/shape/form. But honestly the guy is no where near the player he was nor the player he probably thinks he is anymore. Sign the dang contract with whomever and get cracking or file for retirement and move on. This scene has played on long enough.

He'll sign somewhere, likely with us IMO, a few weeks into the preseason.
As an older vet, he probably feels like he doesn't need a full training camp...

Mike Kerns
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I'd take him, but I agree...GET ON WITH IT!

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Veteran receiver Keenan McCardell, a Houston native who played for San Diego last season, has agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans.

McCardell said he had numerous offers and left some money on the table to sign with his hometown team. He'll be payed $820,000 this season and got a $40,000 signing bonus.Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5003959.html)

Htownsportsfan
07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
When the Redskins signed Bradford I guess that I kind of forced his hand!

aj.
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
When the Redskins signed Bradford I guess that I kind of forced his hand!

That puts this transaction in perspective.

Lock it. No more to say.

Andrew6
07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
well thats just marvelous.

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Good deal. Added veteran experience to the WR corps and we didn't break the bank in the process. I expect his value will be more in the locker room and on the practice field than pure game stats.

I'm glad that micro-drama is over

Now if we just get our newest Nigerian signed all will be right with the world.

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 10:16 PM
the bradford signing hardly puts the mccardell signing into perspective. they are two completely different types of players.

Porky
07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
I love being right! Welcome Keenan! :splits: :devilpig:

HJam72
07-26-2007, 10:47 PM
So, I assume Walter and Jacoby will be given a chance to beat this guy out, and not just have to take a backseat based on experience???

Kubiak wished he'd played Walter more last season, and now it's happening again.

ccdude730
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
So, I assume Walter and Jacoby will be given a chance to beat this guy out, and not just have to take a backseat based on experience???

Kubiak wished he'd played Walter more last season, and now it's happening again.

its going to be a battle for the official #2 WR spot, but in reality it will depend on down and distance.

walter is a good run blocker, mccardell is a good possession receiver, and j jones i dont know too much about. and in addition to those three guys, you still have andre davis, bethel johnson, jerome mathis, and OH YEAH - andre johnson.

its going to be an interesting camp.

ObsiWan
07-26-2007, 11:06 PM

The way I understand it, that's a true statement.
The #2 WR spot is still up for grabs. McCardell was brought in because Kubes believes he's a very hard worker and a good example of how a true pro trains & practices. And if the youngsters want to beat him out they will have to bring their "A" game. Theoretically, the competition level to win that spot just went up a notch.

Ryan
07-26-2007, 11:16 PM
i think it will be Walter at #2 and McCardell and Jones exchanging reps in the slot by season time.

Blazing Arrow
07-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Congratulations :cool:

texanfan2002114
07-26-2007, 11:19 PM
i think it will be Walter at #2 and McCardell and Jones exchanging reps in the slot by season time.

I agree with you. All we have heard all off season is how much Kubes is in love with Walters and compares him to Ed McCafferey(sp). I think McCardell will be the slot receiver.

brakos82
07-26-2007, 11:29 PM
It's official:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5003959.html

After weeks of negotiations in which he flirted with numerous teams, veteran wide receiver Keenan McCardell agreed to a contract with the Texans on Thursday.

McCardell, 37, is a 16-year veteran who grew up in Houston. He'll compete for a starting job with Kevin Walter opposite Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson.

McCardell, who attended Waltrip High School and the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, will sign a one-year contract Friday morning for $860,000, including $820,000 in base salary. He'll be on the practice field Friday when the Texans start two-a-day practices.

``I considered several offers, but playing for the Texans just feels right,'' McCardell said. ``It's just a good fit. I know my family's really going to enjoy me playing here.''

McCardell is one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history with 861 catches for 11,117 yards. He caught 36 passes for 437 yards at San Diego last season. The Chargers finished with a league-best 14-2 record before losing to New England in the divisional round of the playoffs.

``I've been fortunate to be around winners ever since I came into the league,'' he said. ``I think the Texans are building something good, and I want to be part of it.
``I spoke with coach (Gary) Kubiak three times during this process, and he sold me on what they're doing during our first conversation.''

A 12-round pick by Washington in 1991, McCardell spent his rookie season on injured reserve but was awarded a Super Bowl ring by his teammates. After he was waived, he signed with Cleveland, where he played four seasons.

In 1995, the Oilers tried to sign McCardell, but he elected to sign with the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars. He had the best seasons of his career with the Jaguars.

McCardell signed with Tampa Bay, where he won another Super Bowl ring. In 2003, his last season with the Buccaneers, he had 1,174 yards his last 1,000-yard season.

During three years with the Chargers, his best season was in 2005 when he caught 70 passes for 917 yards and scored nine touchdowns.

``I'll bring a lot of experience and leadership to the team,'' McCardell said. ``I've been on winning teams, so I understand what it takes to win.

``I'm a professional who takes a lot of pride in his work ethic. I like to work with young receivers. I'm excited to get started.''

Blazing Arrow
07-27-2007, 02:31 AM
In the game of "Go Fish" is 34 better then 37? :aikido:

Overalls
07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
In the game of "Go Fish" is 34 better then 37? :aikido:

Depends on if 34 is your #1 and 37 is your #3.

Mike Kerns
07-27-2007, 07:43 AM
This is a nice bonus. Hope he has something left in the tank.

nunusguy
07-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Last season, McCardell had 36 receptions for 437 yards with San Diego, but he played in only 11 games. He was phased out later in the year when the Chargers began to rely on younger players at the position, and failed to score a touchdown for the first time since 1994.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2950930
Uncle Keenen, the way players & younger coachs like Shanahan may very likely address Keenen McCardell, is now on Board so guess we can now automatically pencil in the Texans for this years NFL playoffs ?
I'm still trying to figure out what all the excitement is about and his rather paltry stats from last year aren't helping me too much ?

DBCooper
07-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Depends on if 34 is your #1 and 37 is your #3.

lol

Exactly!

real
07-27-2007, 09:34 AM
For the first time since he left Houston to play at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, receiver Keenan McCardell is going to play for his hometown team.
McCardell, 37, agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans on Thursday. He will sign the $860,000 deal today and be on the practice field with his new teammates for the start of training camp.
"I think the Texans are building something good, and I want to be part of it," said McCardell, who played quarterback at Waltrip High School. "I considered several offers, but playing for the Texans just feels right.
"I know my family's really going to enjoy me playing here."
McCardell will compete with veteran Kevin Walter and rookie Jacoby Jones for the starting job opposite Andre Johnson.
"I'm a professional who takes a lot of pride in his work ethic," he said. "I like to work with young receivers. I bring a lot of experience and leadership to the team. I've been on winning teams, so I understand what it takes to win."
McCardell has taken a circuitous route back to his hometown, but he has been on a playoff team during every stop.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5004421.html

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2950930

Keenan McCardell is heading home.

According to a report in the Houston Chronicle, McCardell has agreed to a one-year contract with the Houston Texans. McCardell, who played with San Diego the last three seasons, told the newspaper he had numerous offers and left some money on the table to sign with his hometown team.

The Chronicle reports McCardell will be payed $820,000 this season with a $40,000 signing bonus.

"I'm really excited about playing with the Texans,'' McCardell told the Chronicle. "They've been interested in me for quite a while and even though other teams were too, this just seem like a natural fit for me.''

The newspaper reports that McCardell, 37, is expected to sign his contract Friday morning and be on the field when the Texans begin practicing.

McCardell has 861 receptions for 11,117 yards and 62 touchdowns. A two-time Pro Bowl performer, McCardell has registered seven seasons with 70 or more catches and five 1,000-yard campaigns. His career season was in 2000, when he rang up 94 catches for 1,207 yards for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He enters the season as the No. 3 active receiver in the NFL, behind only the Colts' Marvin Harrison and the Rams' Isaac Bruce. In terms of receiving yards, he would be the fourth-leading active player in the league, and he ranks 18th in NFL history in that category.

The former Nevada-Las Vegas star has appeared in 199 games with 167 starts in stints with Washington (1991), Cleveland (1992-95), Jacksonville (1996-2001), Tampa Bay (2002-03) and San Diego (2004-06).

Last season, McCardell had 36 receptions for 437 yards with San Diego, but he played in only 11 games. He was phased out later in the year when the Chargers began to rely on younger players at the position, and failed to score a touchdown for the first time since 1994.

HOU-TEX
07-27-2007, 10:29 AM
I bet this feels like a swift kick in the wevos to Walter.:thud:

I bet Walter's still on the field more than Keenan.:cowboy1:

Mr. White
07-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't think that Walter will ever be a #2 receiver. He's probably slotted there as a courtesy because he's the vet. I expect that Jacoby Jones will get the job before too long.

Kubes compares Walter to Ed McCaffrey......who was also a WR3.

WR2's are supposed to be the speed guys that stretch the field and WR3's are supposed to be possession receivers. I don't know Jacoby's 40 time, but I'll bet it's quicker than Walter's.

Double Barrel
07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Nice. I think he'll be a big help for our younger WRs and the mental aspects of the game.

Plus, now the Titans can't sign him!

Yankee_In_TX
07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
I love how people in the sports world, more and more commonly, deny things that become true the next week.

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Nice, harmless contract too. Gotta love that :)

real
07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
ehhh....

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
610 said they were going to try and get a quick word with McCardell at texans tc workout. ill let you know if he says anything interesting

Texan_Bill
07-27-2007, 11:21 AM
610 said they were going to try and get a quick word with McCardell at texans tc workout. ill let you know if he says anything interesting

Apparently Keenan doesn't do anything 'quick' anymore. I hope that its not indicative of his pass route running speed..

HoustonFrog
07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't think that Walter will ever be a #2 receiver. He's probably slotted there as a courtesy because he's the vet. I expect that Jacoby Jones will get the job before too long.

WR2's are supposed to be the speed guys that stretch the field and WR3's are supposed to be possession receivers. I don't know Jacoby's 40 time, but I'll bet it's quicker than Walter's.

I'm thinking Jacoby has speed that his 40 times aren't showing. The guy was a track guy in the 100 and 200. He isn't slow, yet I keep seeing 4.5 type numbers from people on here claiming he isn't a speed guy. The guy was a returner too. Me thinks the guy has alot more football quicks then people give him credit for. In NO CREDIBLE way am I comparing him to J. Rice but he was allegedly slow yet I never saw anyone catch him from behind.

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 11:31 AM
As McKinney said in his interview about McCardell, "Its reassuring, because instead of coming into camp hoping that one of the young guys will step up, you've got a veteran coming in that you know exactly what he'll contribute"

HoustonFrog
07-27-2007, 11:32 AM
i just hope this signing doesn't delay the progress of jacoby jones or kevin walter. this doesn't seem like a good deal to me...the price and length of the contract seem right...

does this really give our passing game a legitimacy that we didn't have before? clearly a.j. is still the #1, and i would assume mccardell fits in at the 2...but an old reciever signing didn't exactly help us much last year. and before any goes on about the differences of last year and this year, please, spare me. i know. i think i would just rather find out if jones/walter have the skills to back up the potential over letting a reciever's career peter out...

I'm not assuming this is anything that will hamper anyone. We haven't had quality receiver play besides AJ EVER. So competition shouldn't be a problem. Plus the guy has a 1 year deal and can help give some advice and pointers to the younger guys. He is a possession guy, along with Walters and can give us alot more options. Jacoby is a project that I think will show us glimpses this year but I wouldn't expect him to be someone people rely on. I think this fits just fine considering the other options are A. Davis and Bethel.

TK_Gamer
07-27-2007, 11:36 AM
what this gives us is now 4 sure handed targets for Schaub to throw to. AJ, KM, Daniels, and Walter. 5 if you count Green out of the backfield. Is KM gonna light up the stat sheet and re-live his stellar youth? probably not, but he can catch the football and he can beat a zone defender. I think that will be enough. Plus we throw in Bethel Johnson and Mathis on speedy slot routes to mess up the safeteys and we should have at least moderate success in the passing game. I think it was a great move.

HoustonFrog
07-27-2007, 11:39 AM
what this gives us is now 4 sure handed targets for Schaub to throw to. AJ, KM, Daniels, and Walter. 5 if you count Green out of the backfield. Is KM gonna light up the stat sheet and re-live his stellar youth? probably not, but he can catch the football and he can beat a zone defender. I think that will be enough. Plus we throw in Bethel Johnson and Mathis on speedy slot routes to mess up the safeteys and we should have at least moderate success in the passing game. I think it was a great move.

Exactly, this is what I've seen from him before and what I expect from KM now, and speed doesn't matter...alot of outs where he catches sideline routes while dragging his feet..(he has good vision and field awarness) and alot of curl type patterns 10 yards out behind the backers. He has hands and helps move the chains.

gtexan02
07-27-2007, 11:54 AM
He's on right now. I only caught the end of it, but heres what i heard:

He's excited to be here
Theres no point in playing if you aren't playing to win
He doesnt think you should set your eyes on a winning record, or playoffs, but the super bowl. He said the only reason he is it out there is to win the superbowl.
Said AJ can be as good as he wants to be
Said if AJ wants to be a superstar, he needs to win games
Said the only way to get into the public eye is to play in the playoffs and force people to aknowledge you

He said something about leadership, but I wasnt sur eif he was talking about Kubiak or Schaub. whoever it was commanded attention, but wasnt an in your face, talks a lot kind of guy

Lucky
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM

During the Broncos Super Bowl run, McCaffrey and Rod Smith were the starting WRs. Neither was a burner and McCaffrey actually had better YPC during those seasons.

Let's remember that Jones is coming from Division II football. All rookies have a learning curve, and Jacoby's is about a steep as it gets. To think Jones will grow into the #2 WR job this season is wishful thinking. When was the last time a Division II WR made an impact as a rookie? You'll have to tell me, because I can't think of one. Walter will have to implode (or suffer an injury) to lose the starting WR job.

nunusguy
07-27-2007, 12:48 PM
All rookies have a learning curve, and Jacoby's is about a steep as it gets. To think Jones will grow into the #2 WR job this season is wishful thinking. When was the last time a Division II WR made an impact as a rookie? You'll have to tell me, because I can't think of one.
The Saints Marques Colston from Hofstra last year, but admittedly that kind of deal is rare.

badboy
07-27-2007, 12:50 PM
During the Broncos Super Bowl run, McCaffrey and Rod Smith were the starting WRs. Neither was a burner and McCaffrey actually had better YPC during those seasons.

Let's remember that Jones is coming from Division II football. All rookies have a learning curve, and Jacoby's is about a steep as it gets. To think Jones will grow into the #2 WR job this season is wishful thinking. When was the last time a Division II WR made an impact as a rookie? You'll have to tell me, because I can't think of one. Walter will have to implode (or suffer an injury) to lose the starting WR job.i do not remember Walter imploding or being injured when the #2 slot was presented to Moulds.

Lucky
07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
The Saints Marques Colston from Hofstra last year, but admittedly that kind of deal is rare.

Hofstra is Division I-AA. And yeah, there's a difference.

i do not remember Walter imploding or being injured when the #2 slot was presented to Moulds.

I'm not following you. :confused:

Porky
07-27-2007, 01:00 PM

I'm not following you. :confused:

I think he is comparing Moulds to Mccardell. If Walter was here last year with a veteran receiver, what makes you think that he will just be handed that spot this year?

BTW - I thought Rick Smith wasn't going to sign Mccardell. That's what he said on 610 right?:devilpig:

real
07-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm indifferent about this McCardell signing...On one hand I think he will add 'leadership' and a steadiness to the offense???

On the other hand, I think he's going to keep some guys off the team that I wanted on the active roster...

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
BTW - I thought Rick Smith wasn't going to sign Mccardell. That's what he said on 610 right?:devilpig:

I thought he said that they were no longer pursuing him. They'd made their offer and it was on the table, accept it or not. No negotiation.

DocBar
07-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I think it's a good signing and gives us another threat. McCardell isn'tgoing to shy away from going over the middle and he'll go up and take the ball instead of letting it just come to him. I kinda like the stable of receivers we have this year.

nunusguy
07-27-2007, 01:19 PM

A mere technicality.

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

What's the difference?

Rampage
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Who cares, Keenan is trash, Schaub is trash, the O-Line is trash and Green is becoming trash.

beerlover
07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Let's remember that Jones is coming from Division II football. All rookies have a learning curve, and Jacoby's is about a steep as it gets. To think Jones will grow into the #2 WR job this season is wishful thinking. When was the last time a Division II WR made an impact as a rookie? You'll have to tell me, because I can't think of one. Walter will have to implode (or suffer an injury) to lose the starting WR job.

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (Southern Conference, NCAA Division I) produced a certain WR, who was also drafted in the 3rd rd., & went on to have an impact for his team as a rookie & that team had a #1 named Jerry Rice. he started by playing on special teams, working his way into the offense catching 35 throws for 520 yds almost 15 per catch & 4 td's. he basicly doubled his numbers in his second season. I look for similar results from Jacoby.

What McCardell brings to the Texans is experience & depth. I also applaud both him & Rick Smith for valueing the hometown factor, if we could sign all the Texas/Houston natives the Texans would automatically become a perennial power in the NFL.

Porky
07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I thought he said that they were no longer pursuing him. They'd made their offer and it was on the table, accept it or not. No negotiation.

I'm just tweaking Lucky a little bit. Carry on. :splits:

Lucky
07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
What's the difference?

The caliber of athletes, the level of competition (Division 1-AA will play some I-A schools), the number of scholarships given, coaching, training facilities, and the budget.

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (Southern Conference, NCAA Division I)
Division I-AA, not Division II. For instance, Seth Wand came out of a Division II school, NW Missouri State. Was Wand inserted into the starting lineup as a rookie? He played special teams and some 3rd & short plays as a blocking TE. I don't see how anyone can realistically expect Jones to contribute more than that as a rookie.

Goldensilence
07-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Good signing. I still don't think it'll take reps away from anyone. I still expect Walters to getthe bulk of the reps at #2 and have the rest really battling it out for that #3 spot IMO.

Fact is it's a one year deal and if he doesn't have anything left in the tank then he'll be cut or maybe he'll make it but will have to settle for being the 4th wideout. Long as hedoesn't mind it neither do it. Last year alone i think Kubiak presented it ina manner of if you show it for the most part you'll get played.

Moulds vs Walters wasa different story all together. Walters was the 4th option at the time on a loaded Cinci Roster and we paid a mere what 6th if i remember to acquire him. Moulds was a former pro-bowler #1 receiver with experience and that's why he got the nod starting last year. Why there is argument over the matter i'm not sure.

I think someone else brought it up but A. Davis and Bethel had rally come to TC prepared for a battle because while McMcardell ain't no spring chicken he's been battle tested.

Though it prolly won't huge coverage other then locally this by far could be the most interesting TC in the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Though it prolly won't huge coverage other then locally this by far could be the most interesting TC in the NFL.

This, the backup RB battle, the OLB battles, the free safety competition...

It's going to be an interesting camp.

badboy
07-27-2007, 03:01 PM

I'm not following you. :confused:Post #141 you said Walter would have to implode or be injured to not be the #2 starter. I was pointing out that he was not injured nor did he implode but Moulds was given the job. Same could be true this year with McCardell.

michaelm
07-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Whatever, anything that takes reps away from the two young guys is counter productive and therefore, no matter what a sweet deal, a bad deal. You gotta new QB with two raw WRs. They need every rep they can get.

I agree that the new receivers need every rep they can get, but Schaub's development is more important. Schaub's development is the most critical factor for the entire team over the next few years. You have to give him the best tools to work with. I'm not saying I think McCardell is the 'best tool', but he probably would have a more positive effect on helping #8 develop, and that trumps the development of any of the young receivers all day, every day...

Lucky
07-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Post #141 you said Walter would have to implode or be injured to not be the #2 starter. I was pointing out that he was not injured nor did he implode but Moulds was given the job. Same could be true this year with McCardell.
OK.

Moulds was handed the #2 WR job last year. After the season, Kubiak said that he wished Walter had been given more opportunities. He also compared Walter to former Bronco Ed McCaffrey. Walter is the #2 WR.

McCardell was brought in to help Schaub on 3rd downs. Unless Jones or one of the castaways Rick Smith has collected beats him out. If McCardell looks like he did in San Diego last year, I'm not sure he even gets a job out of camp. Let me put it this way; if McCardell becomes the Texans #2 WR, this group of receivers is much worse than I thought.

mootini
07-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Good pick up...better than Molds.

ObsiWan
07-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Ever hear of a guy named Rice. I think he came from Division II Mississippi Valley St.. Played out in SF for a while. You might have heard of him... I think his first name was Johnny or Joseph or something with a J.

Runner
07-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Ever hear of a guy named Rice. I think he came from Division II Mississippi Valley St.. Played out in SF for a while. You might have heard of him... I think his first name was Johnny or Joseph or something with a J.

Rice is very much an exception to the normal. Maybe you can start some Jordanesque "the next Jerry Rice" buzz though. :shades:

DBCooper
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Rice is very much an exception to the normal. Maybe you can start some Jordanesque "the next Jerry Rice" buzz though. :shades:

Jacoby "Rice" Jones

ObsiWan
07-28-2007, 01:55 PM

How about John Stallworth from Alabama A&M or Charlie Joiner from Grambling? Does Wayne Chrebet count or is Hofstra too big a school?

Or we could take a different path and list the number of bust WRs who came from Div 1A schools... U of Tennessee WRs spring immediately to mind.

The point is its not where you come from, its how you perform once you get a shot.

Lucky
07-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Ever hear of a guy named Rice. I think he came from Division II Mississippi Valley St...
Mississippi Valley State is a Division I-AA school. But yeah, I've heard of him.

Wolf
07-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I guess as long as he doesn't have Florida Gator's on his resume, he'll do ok :heh:

Specnatz
07-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves or to far behind either for that matter.

McCardell, is not taking anything away from anyone he is only adding to. He adds more depth and competition, like Kubiak has said all along. He wants to make it tougher to make the roster. It baffels me why anyone would be upset that a veteren WR would be brought into camp. Or why would anyone give it any more creedance than it deserves.

I am sure the Texans will use three WR sets once in a while and this is where McCardell should be able to flourish. With walter and AJ making the CB go deep and him and Daniels crossing over the middle, it should move the chaines.

I do not get excited about any signing from here on out, just more camp bodies and competition for the back-up spots.

Runner
07-28-2007, 04:24 PM
How about John Stallworth from Alabama A&M or Charlie Joiner from Grambling? Does Wayne Chrebet count or is Hofstra too big a school?

Or we could take a different path and list the number of bust WRs who came from Div 1A schools... U of Tennessee WRs spring immediately to mind.

The point is its not where you come from, its how you perform once you get a shot.

Of course it is how a player performs (previous coaching staff excepted, of course). In most cases the best performers go to the Division 1 schools. There are exceptions of course - and they are exceptions.

real
07-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Excellent post

real
07-28-2007, 05:33 PM
What if McCardell gets cut ?

ObsiWan
07-28-2007, 06:23 PM
What if McCardell gets cut ?

Then that means everyone else is better - or at least faster.

Lance Z, in his TC report, said McCardell looked a little behind in the conditioning dept. Lance chalked it up to not having been in anyone's OTAs. But that's something to keep an eye on.

I think there's another thread with those chron.com links in it. ...although I'm sure you already know how to find it. :)