PDA

View Full Version : Texans agree to terms with 6th-round pick Studdard

texanfan2002114
07-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Deal will keep former UT guard in Houston for four years

The Texans have agreed to a four-year deal with sixth-round pick Kasey Studdard, an offensive guard out of Texas.

Studdard, 6-foot-2, 300 pounds, is the third rookie to agree to terms with the Texans, joining linebacker Zac Diles and cornerback Fred Bennett. The Texans are still working on deals with Amobi Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Brandon Harrison and Brandon Frye.

Rookies must sign their contracts before they are allowed to participate in training camp. At this point, only Diles' contract is signed. Rookies and veterans report to Reliant Stadium next Thursday with the first practice being on Friday morning.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4986306.html

Second Honeymoon
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
omgooses, there is a Longhorn on the Texans. hell hath truly frozen over.

Overalls
07-20-2007, 09:40 PM
3 down 3 to go.

:fans:

Silver Oak
07-20-2007, 09:47 PM

we had to go slumming at some point. :tease:

The Pencil Neck
07-20-2007, 11:53 PM

Hmmm...

Can I change my 8-8 prediction?

Wolf
07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
didn't we have sloan thomas at one point?

BattleRedToro
07-21-2007, 06:27 AM

Yes.

cuppacoffee
07-21-2007, 07:36 AM

Token...:D

:coffee:

nunusguy
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why the Texans drafted this guy ?
It's either another examle of Kubiak cronyism and/or it would seem that the Texans are moving away from the ZB system they'd been in the process of installing, as Studdard is definitely not of the athletic profile ZB teams select
to play in their OLine.

Second Honeymoon
07-21-2007, 11:04 AM

yes but he couldn't make the team even though he lead the Texans WR in receiving yards in preseason.
after all, he is a Longhorn thus shouldn't be drafted.

:sarcasm:

Second Honeymoon
07-21-2007, 11:06 AM
It's either another examle of Kubiak cronyism and/or it would seem that the Texans are moving away from the ZB system they'd been in the process of installing, as Studdard is definitely not of the athletic profile ZB teams select
to play in their OLine.

i agree with your assessment that Studdard isn't the prototype ZBS guy, but he is a baller. He is a guy that will fight and claw and do anything to win. Kubiak does do his share of crony work but I will give him a pass on this.

we need more guys like this and don't be surprised if he becomes a starter and has a nice career with us. He has the lineage, the strength, and the heart. Being able to run a fast shuttle drill or run a fast 40 isn't that important to an OL. It's great to measure their athletic ability but OL work is heart, teamwork, and more heart.

awtysst
07-21-2007, 11:37 AM
i agree with your assessment that Studdard isn't the prototype ZBS guy, but he is a baller. He is a guy that will fight and claw and do anything to win. Kubiak does do his share of crony work but I will give him a pass on this.

we need more guys like this and don't be surprised if he becomes a starter and has a nice career with us. He has the lineage, the strength, and the heart. Being able to run a fast shuttle drill or run a fast 40 isn't that important to an OL. It's great to measure their athletic ability but OL work is heart, teamwork, and more heart.

Yeah he isnt a ZBS guy, but he is plays whistle to whistle. He fights hard on every play and will give it his all. He is a football player, and we need as many football players as we can get. Look at the Patriots. They have a few stars, but also a ton of football players. They are not well known, they are not household names, but all they do is their job. Thats what we need.

Silver Oak
07-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm surprised to see Kubiak getting slagged in this forum for acts of cronyism. Perhaps I missed this, but can you show some examples of him showing favoritism towards players or coaches?

Also, if Kubiak does do it, I'm sure its prevalent around the rest of the league too and not a character flaw on his part.

nunusguy
07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm surprised to see Kubiak getting slagged in this forum for acts of cronyism. Perhaps I missed this, but can you show some examples of him showing favoritism towards players or coaches?

Also, if Kubiak does do it, I'm sure its prevalent around the rest of the league too and not a character flaw on his part.
Kubiak has been friends for decades with Studdards father from their mutual association with the Broncos and was quoted as saying how highly he regarded the Studdard family when he drafted Studdard. And the 6th round pick is clearly not that well suited to play in the ZB system the Texans have been running, so the reason for drafting him is very obvious and clearly for a non-football reason.
We've got 2 or 3 other rookie lineman coming to camp next week who are more of the mold for OLineman in the ZB scheme, and I hope that Kubiak gives them as much chance to make the team as Studddard, but I'm skeptical of that happening.
And whether or not cronyism is practiced throughout the NFL, I don't want it here when it comes to picking the most qualified players for the Texans. I was a fan from the outset long before Kubaik stepped on the scene and will be a fan of the team long after Kubiak has departed and I don't want him using valuable draft picks to make his old buddies happy.

Leahmic223
07-22-2007, 04:51 AM
Kubiak has been friends for decades with Studdards father from their mutual association with the Broncos and was quoted as saying how highly he regarded the Studdard family when he drafted Studdard. And the 6th round pick is clearly not that well suited to play in the ZB system the Texans have been running, so the reason for drafting him is very obvious and clearly for a non-football reason.
We've got 2 or 3 other rookie lineman coming to camp next week who are more of the mold for OLineman in the ZB scheme, and I hope that Kubiak gives them as much chance to make the team as Studddard, but I'm skeptical of that happening.
And whether or not cronyism is practiced throughout the NFL, I don't want it here when it comes to picking the most qualified players for the Texans. I was a fan from the outset long before Kubaik stepped on the scene and will be a fan of the team long after Kubiak has departed and I don't want him using valuable draft picks to make his old buddies happy.

Either way...can the tExans really be picky about their Oline?

Lucky
07-22-2007, 11:37 AM
...so the reason for drafting him is very obvious and clearly for a non-football reason.

Why didn't Kubiak select Studdard in the 5th round, if doing a favor for a buddy was so important? Or the 4th? The 3rd? And why did Rick Smith go along with the Studdard pick? He never played with Kasey's dad. There are a few holes in your conspiracy theory.

We've got 2 or 3 other rookie lineman coming to camp next week who are more of the mold for OLineman in the ZB scheme...
Who are they and why are they better suited for the Texans system? This the same bunch of nonsense you posted back in May, and you still offer nothing to support your assertion.

the wonger need food
07-22-2007, 11:52 AM
And the 6th round pick is clearly not that well suited to play in the ZB system the Texans have been running, so the reason for drafting him is very obvious and clearly for a non-football reason.

What's clear and obvious to you does not necessarily make it fact, e.g. when you base the entire premise of a post on fictional information. For example, the Texans do not run a zone blocking scheme. They use some zone and some power schemes. And this year (according to Steve McKinney in radio interviews) they will be running a lot less zone blocking.

Texans_Chick
07-22-2007, 11:53 AM
to play in their OLine.

The Texans never really have played strict ZB under Sherman. I was told by someone who knows that Sherman would get testy if people said they were running just a ZBS. I heard in an interview with McKinney it is going to be even less zone blocking this year.

Last year, the offensive line had strict weight requirements along with fines for not making weight. There are reports that they are no fines this year for making weight.

Today's training preview in the Chronic alludes to Ahman Green being suited to the zone blocking that that GB ran last year, but he isn't going to be running behind that. Chronic preview = Matt Schaub is leader + blurbs + Texans run zone blocking scheme (not).

For more on this subject, check out this:

Sharpen Your Pencils for the 2007 Houston Texans Test (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/21/sharpen-your-pencils-for-the-2007-houston-texans-test/)

If you are interested in the discussion of the Oline, check out the discussion in the comments between me and Lance Zierlein in the link in that post.

nunusguy
07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
If you are interested in the discussion of the Oline, check out the discussion in the comments between me and Lance Zierlein in the link in that post.
"Mike Sherman is the new offensive coordinator for the Texans, and reports are that Sherman and Kubiak are going to run a blended offense between their styles. I expect it to be a run first offense, but nobody really knows how their hybrid offense is going to look."
That is certainly instructive and does undermine my premise about Studdard being unsuitable to play in our OLine because he's more of a power guy than a zone guy. Of course it begs for a clarification about the exact meaning of "blended offense" ? In other words, which system will be dominant ?
Now if we remain basically a zone team, then I think by premise is still valid.
I don't know if I've seen or heard a Sherman interview yet, but now that he's officially our OC, maybe the reticent Mr. Sherman will step up and give us all a definetive statement or two about his plans for the offense including the type of blocking schemes he'll be using and which will dominate if he's going to use a hybrid or some combination ?
And I sill have no doubt that the main reason Studdard is here is because of family ties to Kubiak, but that's not near as big a deal to me as long as he's
suitable for the position he'll be competing for reps at instead of being an obvious misfit.

Texans_Chick
07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
"Mike Sherman is the new offensive coordinator for the Texans, and reports are that Sherman and Kubiak are going to run a blended offense between their styles. I expect it to be a run first offense, but nobody really knows how their hybrid offense is going to look."
That is certainly instructive and does undermine my premise about Studdard being unsuitable to play in our OLine because he's more of a power guy than a zone guy. Of course it begs for a clarification about the exact meaning of "blended offense" ? In other words, which system will be dominant ?
Now if we remain basically a zone team, then I think by premise is still valid.
I don't know if I've seen or heard a Sherman interview yet, but now that he's officially our OC, maybe the reticent Mr. Sherman will step up and give us all a definetive statement or two about his plans for the offense including the type of blocking schemes he'll be using and which will dominate if he's going to use a hybrid or some combination ?
And I sill have no doubt that the main reason Studdard is here is because of family ties to Kubiak, but that's not near as big a deal to me as long as he's
suitable for the position he'll be competing for reps at instead of being an obvious misfit.

As far as I can tell, there have been exactly two articles talking about Kubiak/Sherman hybridish offense. Both of them can be found in this link:

Mike Sherman as OC:What Does This Mean for the Texans Offense? (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/31/mike-sherman-as-oc-what-does-this-mean-for-the-texans-offense/)

I think the answer is reading between the lines on those two articles is that between Kubiak and Sherman, they don't even know what the offense for sure is going to look like--they are going to see what works with the personnel we have.

I do expect that the running game will look more Mike Sherman's stuff. Why wouldn't he as OC run the sort of stuff that Ahman Green had most of his success with?

Hardcore Texan
07-22-2007, 01:43 PM

I prefer to think of it as he has a ton of insight into this guys character and knows exactly what he will bring to the table, and how hard he will play thus justifying a 6th round pick. He doesn't have to wonder about the intangibles of this kid, it takes the guess work out of it and IMO that's what makes it a football "reason". I hired a guy at my work not to long ago, because I knew him, we weren't friends but I knew him and I knew he was honest, hard working, intelligent, and had the aptitude to learn the job. Because of this insight I had confidence in hiring him, and you know what, he is kicking butt. That's just how I see it.

As far as making the most of the draft picks and bringing in the most qualified people, you can bet Kubiak understands what is on the line and how winning will keep him employed, so I don't think he's putting favors ahead of producing on the football field.

brakos82
07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Why are we ranting about a 6th-rounder? :bat:

barberman
07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a feeling that Studdard will spend a year or so on the pratice squad and eventually become a starter for many years for the Texans. He has an attutude that can`t be coached and will make him a steady and valuable member of our O line.

The Pencil Neck
07-22-2007, 02:23 PM

It's been a damned long offseason.

Specnatz
07-22-2007, 02:25 PM

because he went to a school that used to be called ut and it will be renamed during the first home football game this season.

They have yet to deciede if the name will be sniff my jock vy univ.

or

waaa waaa vy boohoo univ

:texflag:

brakos82
07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
It's been a damned long offseason.

So? Why can't we rant about Vick or something? :shades:

The Pencil Neck
07-22-2007, 04:21 PM
So? Why can't we rant about Vick or something? :shades:

Hmmm... :nicedog:

brakos82
07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Hmmm... :nicedog:

nice smilie... :user:

Texans_Chick
07-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a feeling that Studdard will spend a year or so on the pratice squad and eventually become a starter for many years for the Texans. He has an attutude that can`t be coached and will make him a steady and valuable member of our O line.

Hope you're right.

You never know what guys will contribute on your team, and Kubiak has repeatedly expressed the mantra that it doesn't matter where you are drafted but rather how you play.

beerlover
07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
6th rd. pick or not the Texans/Kubiak have quietly gone about the buisness of addressing their legendary offensive line woes by using two draft picks in 06 (Charles Spencer/Eric Winston) & 07 (Brandon Frye/Kasey Studdard). I for one welcome the reinforcements & hope they all become fixtures along the offensive line for years to come :logo:

WiiBrawler
07-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Great!Now lets get Okoye singned!

bayshorebevo
07-22-2007, 11:40 PM
because he went to a school that used to be called ut and it will be renamed during the first home football game this season.

They have yet to deciede if the name will be sniff my jock vy univ.

or

waaa waaa vy boohoo univ

:texflag:

You are very emotional. Why do you hate Texas so much? Where did you go?

Specnatz
07-22-2007, 11:54 PM
You are very emotional. Why do you hate Texas so much? Where did you go?

Not being emotional, was making a joke because of how some on here portray not having a ut player or that the Texans should sign anyone from ut as a free agent.

Including, earlier this year a nice long ricky thread right before he failed another drug test. Plus I was just trying to be funny.

But I went to U of H back in the old SWC before they got hosed and was not invited.

Texans Horror
07-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, one thing's for sure - now that they have somebody from UT, the team will perform better. The year they brought Sloan in was the Texans' best - 2004. Unfortunately, they let him go, so the Texans were doomed. Thus, the 2005 season.

I have a hunch Studdard is going to be around for a while, so as a result, I have a hunch the Texans will finally start to come around, all thanks to them drafting a Longhorn!

texanpride :joker:

badboy
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Interesting that the contract was for four years. Let the best man win.

Shaft75
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
You know I looked in my Lindy's college football preview from last year and the scouts for that magazine were saying that he was the best guard in the country and one of the top ten NFL ready players in the Big 12. I always keep those mags to refer to. They did predict Notre Dame to win it all though...

DocBar
07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
HMMMMM.... could he be the Texans version of Munchak or Matthews??? HMMMMM....:cowboy1:

Goldensilence
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah he isnt a ZBS guy, but he is plays whistle to whistle. He fights hard on every play and will give it his all. He is a football player, and we need as many football players as we can get. Look at the Patriots. They have a few stars, but also a ton of football players. They are not well known, they are not household names, but all they do is their job. Thats what we need.

I Agree with you here on this. Looking at the personnel we have onthe line we just don't have the guys to really run a ZBS. What i think is Kubiak is slowly going to turn the roster over the period of the next year or two. Studdard (sort of) the Exception we've drafted some very athletic linemen the past two drafts in Winston, Spencer(prior to injury), and this year Brandon Frye. I also have hopes that someone like Enoka Lucas can make an impact from the C as an UDFA.

In the meantime we'll see exactly what we're doing right now using a mix of Zone and Power style techniques used. I Like picking Stuaddard up for what Awtysst said. I think he brings fire and bit of a streak to the line that we haven't seen; honestly i hope it rubs off on the other linemen a little.

Specnatz
07-23-2007, 12:09 PM
You know I looked in my Lindy's college football preview from last year and the scouts for that magazine were saying that he was the best guard in the country and one of the top ten NFL ready players in the Big 12. I always keep those mags to refer to. They did predict Notre Dame to win it all though...

Hell I am a Notre Dame fan and I would not have said that. ND's defense sucked, no speed at DB.

BSofA04
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Who wouldn't want a player that plays snap to whistle every down? His versitility from both guards to center, along with the right attitude makes this 6th rounder a valuable commodity.

Good to see that Kubs likes the kid from UT. Hopefully he'll push both Pitts and Weary to solidify the interior of the line. Hell, if I'm Mike Flanagan...I'd lay off the doughnuts and hit the weight room because he's quickly becoming very unimpressive to say the least. Studdard could very well project as a center late this year or next. Good news reguardless, because his nasty attitude will help to keep our franchise QB healthy. Cheers!!!!