PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Solomon is a troll

the wonger need food
07-17-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4973012.html

Another negative article about the Texans from a local hack. I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of this guy. Be sure to add a comment under his article.

DBCooper
07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
drivel

Lucky
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Be sure to add a comment under his article.
I wouldn't give him the satisfaction that I actually read his tripe. Like "The General", he's clearly just another closet Cowgirl lover. The Chronic has to have the worst sportspage in a major league city newspaper.

HJam72
07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I will never read another article written by that person. That is a cold, callous, unnecessary, and selfish (just trying to get noticed more) article. Yes, McNair is a classy owner, and doesn't deserve to have this CRAP in the newspaper of the town he is trying his best to bring good football back to.

It takes a lot of guts to kick your friends when they're down, just to get noticed. Jerk.

powerfuldragon
07-17-2007, 10:22 AM
who cares.

nero THE zero
07-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm all for people having their own opinion about the Texans. And he is right, in our short history we have not had much success. But I cannot imagine what could be his motivation to write such a piece. I mean, what was going through his head when he sat down and decided to write about "how big of losers the Texans are" in the Houston newspaper. And shame on the Chronicle for publishing such a piece.

Spike
07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
The most frustrating thing is that there is simply no good football coverage in this town. For what ever reason, I think that the coverage on the Astros and Rockets is pretty good...but our football coverage is just horrible. I've never understand why the most respected football writer for the paper doesn't cover the home team...and put the other hacks on the rest of the league.

We are about a week a way from training camp starting and this is what the Chronic has to write about the city's team? I am not saying that we have to write fluff peices about how great the organization is...but there are certainly real football stories that should be written about the team, the players, position battles, player progress, injury reports, etc.

Goldensilence
07-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I think a move to Dallas is in order for Jerome.

Seriously a 5 year expansion franchise who got shafted on it's expansion deal most likely because it wasn't the L.A. market whom the NFL so desperately wants.

Come on Jerome how about some real reporting instead of this drivel. How about what X player does to improve in the offseason.Maybe an interview of our new QB. or what everyone here on this MB wnats...Charles Spencer updates!

Texan_Bill
07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Anyone else have a problem with the link??

Anyway, I didnt need to read it. The next time Soloman writes a good article - it will be the first. I quit reading this guy a while back...

Lucky
07-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I've never understand why the most respected football writer for the paper doesn't cover the home team...and put the other hacks on the rest of the league.
McClain does cover the Texans...between acting gigs. I'm not sure what McClain does to earn so much "respect". Maybe that he is able to keep his job for so long? Read the NFL coverage in other NFL cities, and tell me that the General isn't one of the worst writers covering the league.

HOU-TEX
07-17-2007, 10:38 AM
McClain does cover the Texans...between acting gigs. I'm not sure what McClain does to earn so much "respect". Maybe that he is able to keep his job for so long? Read the NFL coverage in other NFL cities, and tell me that the General isn't one of the worst writers covering the league.

Maybe it's due to his nose being permanently brown from being crammed up so many people's garbage chutes. They're all hypocrites. Fire them all and start over with new college graduates who are actually eager to report.:bat:

Texan_Bill
07-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Amen!!! How refreshing that would be!!!

Second Honeymoon
07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Very negative article with little to no insight or value. I agree that the Texans have been losers and have been embarassing in some of their decisions, but negative pieces like this have no business in the Chronicle.

As for his comments on Moon. WTF!!! Moon was one of the biggest chokers in NFL history. He abused woman both physically and emotionally and not just his wife. I never liked that guy and he was pathetic in crunch time. So if Solomon wants to champion losers like Moon he can take his article about 'losers' and shove it up his arse.

Porky
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
For a change, I have to agree with the majority here. I read it this morning over breakfast, and nearly choked on my Cherios. I am not one to enjoy homer pieces either, but this one was unneccessarily negative and callous. If he wanted to write an article on WHY the Texans have not had much success, and their prospects on turning those fortunes around, I would have been receptive to that. You know, some real analysis. But, this was nothing but a hit piece piling on with no analysis or insite whatsoever. The only thing that piece was good for was lining the bird cage because it was full of crap anyway. :devilpig:

badboy
07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I think most of what he said is true. I don't like that he felt he had to post it. Seems almost as if he was playing to a non-Texans crowd. Yet the Texans are a losing team. I know it is semantics but I think you can lose and not be a "loser". I disagee with him saying fans talk of the team as stinking and always will. If anything most fans are very forgiving and supportive. I also think it is sort of like having a dopey family member; I can make fun of him but you can't. I think a case can be made (and has on other threads) that this team can make great strides this season or be a repeat of last year. I choose to be optimistic with caution.

Porky
07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
The final insult was that he also called the fans losers. That was the tipping point for me. He is a jerk as far as I am concerned.

From his column:

Their owner is considered a class act. Their organization is respected and applauded. Their facility is among the best in the league. Their fans were rabid and loyal before the team even had a nickname.

But they're all losers — maybe not the biggest, but losers just the same.

Texan_Bill
07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I finally got in and was able to read the... well whatever it was 'cause I dont want to call it an article... I posted this:

The next time you write a piece with substance and facts will be the first time. Fact, in your beloved Cowgurls first five seasons they had a winning percentage of 28.1. Also FACT, they had a 1 win season and a 0 win season. A way more dubious honor than the Texans have to claim. Take your Cowgurl lovin' self straight up I-45.

Note to the Chronicle: It's time to hire real sports journalists and not the "Rosie O'Donnell's" of fish wrap. Fire this guy. One of the saddest days in Houston, was when the Post closed down. At least with them around there was competition and it kept y'all honest.

alphajoker
07-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I couldn't get the link to work, but just from reading some of the posts in this thread made me angry anyway. Especially the part about being called a loser. I believe we should start a petition to have the Chronical sportswriters resign. Who is with me?

dannyboy
07-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Saying "Vinggie" aloud sounds quite silly.

Tedc
07-17-2007, 12:38 PM
His articles are only good when you are on the throne and run out of TP.

threetoedpete
07-17-2007, 01:14 PM
The most frustrating thing is that there is simply no good football coverage in this town. For what ever reason, I think that the coverage on the Astros and Rockets is pretty good...but our football coverage is just horrible. I've never understand why the most respected football writer for the paper doesn't cover the home team...and put the other hacks on the rest of the league.

We are about a week a way from training camp starting and this is what the Chronic has to write about the city's team? I am not saying that we have to write fluff peices about how great the organization is...but there are certainly real football stories that should be written about the team, the players, position battles, player progress, injury reports, etc.

It's not whatever reason, the chronicle always has been, always will be a baseball first news paper. The baseball team now sucks...(I'm guessing here from the bits and pieces I have accedently heard, I have not watched an inning of baseball in seven years. ) and as is the norm in one of the baseball team sucks years....they now are free to disect the
texans and show their displeasure and general lack of overall football knowledge. And for the record, Megan Manfull has written a couple of nice articles this summer. But as a crew they are baseball/soccer guys. And there is an agenda to push the soccer in the Houston market. There is nothing more dangerous than Utopians with an agenda. I personally think soccer is right up there with watching paint dry. What ever floats your boat I guess. But for sure you can expect to be buying them as new stadium in the very near future. And the Chronicle will be the leader of that pack. and if you're against the expenditure, you'll be branded a racist.

Double Barrel
07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm sure he'll be one of the first to jump on the bandwagon when the team starts winning more than they lose.

I did not read it, but it doesn't sound like there is a lot of football knowledge to be gained, so I shall refrain.

Second Honeymoon
07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
from the tone of the comments left on his 'article', this guy may be headed for the unemployment line. there is journalistic integrity and tenure but I think this guy crossed the line. it was just a mean spirited article that did nothing redeeming whatsoever. to write that article a few weeks before preseason after such a promising offseason shows that this guy just may have an axe to grind.

I liked the guy last year because he was one of the few writers who was calling out Carr as being a failure and calling for a change but all that goodwill was gone once he lambasted the organization, team, and fans so blatantly. he needs to go if he isn't willing to apologize for his lame article. is this guy on the rag or what?

I foresee him putting out an apology blurp or I think we may see him as a carhop at your local Sonic. it's not as if newspapers have readers to lose. newspapers are going the way of the dodo bird.

HoustonFrog
07-17-2007, 01:28 PM

My problem is that we have camp around the corner and yet the radio and paper is still in high gear with the Rockets. I know we have made some moves and all but the NBA season is so drawn out and overdone...especially the playoffs. The NBA has lost my interest over the years but it is still a large topic after putting up with the overrated Finals. I'm ready for football around the clock. College, Pro, whatever, start reviewing the season.

Overalls
07-17-2007, 01:29 PM
It's one thing to say the team has a history of losing, but to call me and every other Texans fan a loser is just wrong. He can keep his 'girl bias and kiss me on my behind. I will not accept any apology or pleas of misstatement unless he kisses my behind in the Bull Pen and it is shown on the big screen. As I said on the Chron site. If some one sees losers everywhere it usually means he's a loser surrounded by his peers.

:fans:

BSofA04
07-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I couldn't get the link to work, but just from reading some of the posts in this thread made me angry anyway. Especially the part about being called a loser. I believe we should start a petition to have the Chronical sportswriters resign. Who is with me?

I'm with you. I would love to know who his boss is so I can send him a personal email. My comment on his blog went like this...

Jerome,
This article was completely unnecessary. You don't have to be a homer to see that this is a shot at the fans of the Texans. Seeing that this is published in the Chronicle is a disgrace. You might not be a fan of the Texans, but your lack of respect for this city and its’ citizens is ridiculous. Why not write something insightful? Interview the new QB, get an update on Charles Spencer, etc. You could even write about the hard work this organization is doing to clean up the mess Charlie Casserly left. Bashing a five year old franchise with a great coach and a new direction is classless. But I guess it’s acceptable to praise VY while condemning the hometown team…Articles like these make me wonder why you still have a job in Houston.

Richard

threetoedpete
07-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm all for people having their own opinion about the Texans. And he is right, in our short history we have not had much success. But I cannot imagine what could be his motivation to write such a piece. I mean, what was going through his head when he sat down and decided to write about "how big of losers the Texans are" in the Houston newspaper. And shame on the Chronicle for publishing such a piece.

His motivation...he had to make thirty column inches...that's it. They need some copy to eat up an empty hole. Yes the writing was acurate, but basicaly it was drivel about nothing in particular. They're not about to tear onto Kubes and Smith in their second years. It wasn't their mess. Kubes and Smith ? , they found it this way. In fact....Soloman is about four years too late with this article. If he wrote a negitive about Capers and Casserly lets see a link ? Prety chicken sheet to say look I see a scorched foundation here after you saw the smoke and said nothing while the house burnt to the ground. Typical stuff from the chronicle. Baseball guys writting about football. You shouldn't expect too much from them.

Texan_Bill
07-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Feel free to contact LMAO.... "King soloman" I dont know if I can post an email address, but just look at the bottom of the article...

Hardcore Texan
07-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Wow, what an inaccurate piece of crap that was. At least get your facts right.

Some of the comments at the bottom of the article really nailed it on the head.

And boy oh boy does the Chronicle suck!! Being the only paper in town is not an excuse to be this ignorant.

badboy
07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
His motivation...he had to make thirty column inches...that's it. They need some copy to eat up an empty hole. Yes the writing was acurate, but basicaly it was drivel about nothing in particular. They're not about to tear onto Kubes and Smith in their second years. It wasn't their mess. Kubes and Smith ? , they found it this way. In fact....Soloman is about four years too late with this article. If he wrote a negitive about Capers and Casserly lets see a link ? Prety chicken sheet to say look I see a scorched foundation here after you saw the smoke and said nothing while the house burnt to the ground. Typical stuff from the chronicle. Baseball guys writting about football. You shouldn't expect too much from them.Excellent comments.

Hervoyel
07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Hervoyel wrote:
I'm kind of at a loss to explain this article. If in fact Jerome is somewhere laughing his butt off over the responses then I think that's clearly a sign of disconnect with his readers. It's mid July and football fans in every city are filled with optimism about draft picks and free agent additions. All around the NFL fans are starting to get excited about the coming season because right now everybody thinks they're in contention. What do we get from our local paper here in Houston to help stir up the attention? We get our noses rubbed into the predictably bad 5 year record of an expansion team and a thread full of comments that only a Cowboys fan could love. I just don't see why this article was necessary. The Phillies reach 10,000 losses and Jerome Solomon is inspired to write an article about how lousy the Texans have been? That's the best you can come up with prior to camp opening? That's supposed to interest your readers? Weak.

Second Honeymoon
07-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Hervoyel wrote:
I'm kind of at a loss to explain this article. If in fact Jerome is somewhere laughing his butt off over the responses then I think that's clearly a sign of disconnect with his readers. It's mid July and football fans in every city are filled with optimism about draft picks and free agent additions. All around the NFL fans are starting to get excited about the coming season because right now everybody thinks they're in contention. What do we get from our local paper here in Houston to help stir up the attention? We get our noses rubbed into the predictably bad 5 year record of an expansion team and a thread full of comments that only a Cowboys fan could love. I just don't see why this article was necessary. The Phillies reach 10,000 losses and Jerome Solomon is inspired to write an article about how lousy the Texans have been? That's the best you can come up with prior to camp opening? That's supposed to interest your readers? Weak.

get em. this guy better think about updating his resume.....

TexanSam
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I hardly ever read Solomon's work in the Chronicle. I have never been a big fan of his. While this piece of garbage is even extreme by his standards (IMO), any opinion piece he writes I usually just ignore. I think Solomon was at the Boston Globe for a little while. Shame he didn't stay.

TEXANSTAILGATER
07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm with you. I would love to know who his boss is so I can send him a personal email.

fred.faour@chron.com

dan.cunningham@chron.com

Here ya go. Good luck as these guys don't do real well at replying.

Tedc
07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
fred.faour@chron.com

dan.cunningham@chron.com

My e-mail to them:

The Houston Chronicle should be commended for its efforts to employ handicapped workers however I feel that giving a mentally challenged individual a blank canvass in the fourth largest city is a little much.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39968 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39968)

It must have been a tremendously slow news day.

Texan_Bill
07-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Ted..... I'm speechless!! Good job!!

BSofA04
07-17-2007, 05:46 PM
fred.faour@chron.com

dan.cunningham@chron.com

Thanks. I sent him a letter notifying them that the article is completly out of line. I told them it would be a good idea to get some who actually had intrest in the Texans to cover the team. I hate to say it, but I hope they can his arse.

Texan_Bill
07-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I just emailed this... Of course, I don't expect it to amount to diddly squat...

Dear Editor(s),

I read Jerome Solomon’s article titled “Texans rank right up there with NFL's biggest losers”.

I have no issue with a columnist critiquing and/or being objective with our local teams. In fact, it should be a requirement of journalists. However, Mr. Solomon has gone beyond objectivity and beyond the line of good taste. This piece was an attack on not only the team and the owner but also the fans of the Texans. May I remind you that those fans are the same people that read the Houston Chronicle. What further exasperates this situation is his complete lack of stating facts correctly.

This article is a complete slap in the face to Texans fans and fans of the greatest and fourth largest city in the United States.

I hope the editors of this newspaper have the fortitude and decency to rectify this situation. Please don’t think that a handful of Houstonians don’t have the power to hit the Chronicle where it counts – ask Sports Illustrated.

Kindest Regards,

Texan_Bill

BSofA04
07-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I just emailed this... Of course, I don't expect it to amount to diddly squat...
That was a great letter. Hopefully we'll get someone there who actually cares about the Texans. Anyone not named John, Richard or Jerome will do.

Overalls
07-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, what can it hurt. Made me feel better.

Gentlemen,

I understand that the Chronicles Comics page has been undergoing numerous changes in the last year, but is it really necessary for you to transfer the writers of the comics, that have been displaced, to the Sports Page. "Mr." Solomons attack on Texans fans was completely uncalled for. I can understand him giving his opinion, however wrong it is, about the team, but he has absolutely no clue about who I am. He wronged me. He wronged my friends. And he wronged my team. He is more than welcome to take his love for the Cowboys elsewhere. I WILL not accept some fake "apology" letter from him. If he wants to apologize, He can meet me and 70,000 other "losers" in the parking lot of Reliant Stadium.

Thank you,
Tim "Overalls" Lancon

aj.
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
JS responded to my email. He said I took the "embarrassed to be from Houston" comment too seriously and didn't understand his sense of humor. He laughed at me. (he said he laughed out loud when he read my email).

Full disclosure: I said I was damm proud to call myself a Houstonian and wear Texans colors. I also called him lazy and not well researched. I also asked if his next article was going to be titled "the sky is blue" since we know all too well of our team's troubles over the past five years.

F 'em.

Does anyone know why he came back to the Chronicle after testing the water in a town with real sports media (Boston) for a season? I have a pretty good idea **cough .. cushy job here with no competition and no pressure to produce ... cough ** but I don't want to jump to conclusions if there was a more compelling reason.

BSofA04
07-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, what can it hurt. Made me feel better.

Nice! He needs to be accountable for his words.

Tedc
07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
JS responded to my email. He said I took the "embarrassed to be from Houston" comment too seriously and didn't understand his sense of humor. He laughed at me. (he said he laughed out loud when he read my email).

Full disclosure: I said I was damm proud to call myself a Houstonian and wear Texans colors. I also called him lazy and not well researched. I also asked if his next article was going to be titled "the sky is blue" since we know all too well of our team's troubles over the past five years.

F 'em.

Does anyone know why he came back to the Chronicle after testing the water in a town with real sports media (Boston) for a season? I have a pretty good idea **cough .. cushy job here with no competition and no pressure to produce ... cough ** but I don't want to jump to conclusions if there was a more compelling reason.

You are right. I don't need the Chronic anyway. There is nothing in there that I can't get somewhere else and I don't have to put up with all the crap.

Anybody else send an e-mail?:mail:

TexanSam
07-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Wait...what happened to Sports Illustrated?

BattleRedToro
07-17-2007, 09:23 PM

I think he just couldn't hack it in Boston.

Heath Shuler
07-17-2007, 11:20 PM
My email to the Chronicle:
Dear Mr. Solomon:
You sir are the loser. Today’s article, “Texans rank right up there with NFL's biggest losers” clearly will cause your paper’s declining circulation rate to fall even farther. Did you do any research about your article or was it slopped together in twenty minutes before a deadline? You state that the Dallas Cowboys have a NFL record 32 post season wins; however, you fail to mention that the Cowboys had a lower winning percentage after their first five seasons. If your article is what is acceptable journalism for the Houston Chronicle it is no wonder the Chronicle is the only top ten paper to never win a Pulitzer Prize (if indeed the Chronicle is still a top ten circulation paper). To call Texans’ fans losers is unacceptable; I personally demand an apology.

Sincerely,

Texanmike02
07-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Here you go here's my response:

Mr. Solomon,

Seriously. Stop me if you've heard this one before: A guy has a nice job with no competition in what we'll call "H" town... He moves to a city called town "B" and can't "hack" it (no pun intended) so he moves back to "H" town and comences writing the same stuff that got him "fired" (allegedly)...

I'm pretty sure you've read the comments after your Texans debacle. Figured I'd summarize them at the beginning of the email and work my way to something real and objective. From now on though... I'll try to be objective..

Look man I'll just say it plain and simple... I'm one of the guys in the world that wishes I got to write about sports for a living. I have to go to the JOB every day and check my teams out throughout the day. And you're disappointing me. I go to various fan sites around the league... and that article (admittedly I don't read much of your work) was nothing that I couldn't go read on any of a number of sites. I know I know, you're the expert that gets paid... but if I jump on guys who are posting just to watch their post count go higher for not bringing anything intelligent to the conversation... surely I should do the same with you who gets paid for your contribution.

I can only imagine how hard it is to, in the dead of the summer, write a piece about a football team. Especially a new one. Draft is over, TC hasn't started.. So I have some ideas.

1. Write about what signs the organization is showing that they either have or haven't learned from mistakes in the past.
2. Write about how Charles Spencer's recovery is going... and what it really means to the team.
3. I an ask questions about whether we've turned the corner... you as a paid expert should be telling me shouldn't you?
4. Write about the signs than management is giving that they either do or don't expect a big year this year.
5. Go dig up players in similar positions to Schaub and Green in the past... draw parallels between their career.
6. Write about how the rule changes will effect the game.
7. Grade them on THIS off season... go position by position and tell me where they stand. If you don't have enough space in one article... do it in several.
8. Write an article explaining the difference between the 3-4 and the 4-3.. and why the transition is so difficult.
9. Write about how the last 3 editions of the Texans have sorely missed veteran leadership on both sides of the ball.
10. Write about how hard it is to come up with a topic worth reading and start ripping the Astros....

I'm by no means picking the Texans to win much this year I've been screaming 6-10 since about the end of the draft. I won't debate that the franchise is off to a bad start, and I'm pretty sure that you have had the cowboys first year stat thrown in your face enough. If you want to write something along those lines why not write about the similarities and differences between when the girls err.. boys came into existence and or do it with the Panthers... For the love of all that is good and holy... don't make me feel like you're calling me a loser.

Wolf
07-17-2007, 11:53 PM
this must have been his inspiration.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7026812?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

At the rate the NFL roadkill Houston Texans are losing, they won't make the 10,000 Club for another 1,000 years, but then again they took that other guy instead of Reggie Bush, so it might be 900 years.

Like the kid scribbling "redrum" in The Shining, the Texans are trying to tell us something about the future, only they keep scribbling "sresol."

From picking David Carr to passing on Bush, there isn't a whole lot former GM Charlie Casserly and the Texadillo's have done right.

Wolf
07-18-2007, 12:00 AM
thank goodness for the internet, It would be sad to have a hometown paper continually rip the home time team(not saying teams don't deserve it) but I couldn't imagine if this was all the coverage a fan could get (newspaper only and 10 o'clock news)

jorge
07-18-2007, 12:56 AM
when I read about what NEGATIVE Salomon wrote about the TEXAN fans I Blew up and had to write to him and tell him what I thought!! he needs to keep his mouth shut and go back to where he belongs!!!!!!!!!!:texflag:

Texan_Bill
07-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Wait...what happened to Sports Illustrated?

Goes back to one of the Rockets Championships when they did not want to do a commemorative story or feature the Rockets on the cover. Houstonians spoke and it was done.... Of course I still know many people that have never renewed their subscriptions (this writer included).......

*Disclaimer: I buy the swim suit edition off the rack*

Tedc
07-18-2007, 10:01 AM
*Disclaimer: I buy the swim suit edition off the rack*

"Swim suit edition" and "rack" in the same sentence?

Why does Solomon want to write for all of us losers?

He probably couldn't get a job anywhere else. The Chronic is not known for its hard hitting, news breaking, info. It is just a rag that litters our streets and puts bums on every corner. Why do they hire those guys?

Oh, right....they hired Solomon. Nevermind.

Texans_Chick
07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
My tilting at windmills on this subject:

link (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/18/houston-chronicle-columnist-calls-texan-fans-losers/)

One of the things I wonder about in it is that are the columnists spread too thin? They have their columns, blogs and radio shows, and the quality of each is pretty weak. The best part of the addition of the blogs is when McClain dishes up behind the scenes stuff that isn't written elsewhere, but maybe it should be in the actual paper.

The worst part of the blogs in my opinion is when the columnists get really juvenile and ugly in them and then you wonder about their point of view when you are reading their actual newsprint columns.

My time blogging at the Chronicle made me think that the news is all about sensationalism. Why should news people devote time write a thoughtful piece on some sort of important issue of the day when the most page hits will be something about Lindsay Lohan? (One of yesterday's top topics at CNN).

I like reading the newspaper. But I fear that the local one can't be fixed because they don't see that there is anything wrong with what they are doing.

As for those who are writing the Chronicle about this story, I strongly suggest doing so in a mannered yet direct way despite the subject matter. People are more likely to take what you write seriously if you write it a logical, polite and forceful manner. On one hand, I'm not sure that the Chronic can be fixed. On the other hand, I'm one of those idealistic people that thinks that individuals working together can make a difference.

Double Barrel
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM

This reminds me of people that will say something really mean, but then say "I'm just kidding around" when called out about it.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I remember a time when a "sense of humor" actually attempted to make people laugh.

I'd call Solomon a moron, but I wouldn't want to disrespect the morons I know. Even they don't say something as stupid as this hack spews.

the wonger need food
07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow... if I would have known that my post would have caused such a groundswell... well, I probably would have posted it anyway.

Anyhoo, I had a nice little quid pro quo with Jerome over the past couple of days. Like many of you I offered numerous topics to write about vs. the worthless rehashed drivel that he tends to lean on. We'll see how he responds now that people are actually paying attention to him... which was probably his goal all along...

Here is his last response after I pointed him to Steph's article and the message board threads...

I'll read those when I get a minute, but I am swamped right now. I understand the "loser" comment is what has gotten people so upset. And yes, I find that funny too, but it is as much poor writing as bad reading comprehension, but there is no way that I meant loser in the way many people took it.

I was only referring to having a team that has never had a winning season, not the personal character slam that one uses when calling a person a loser.

Think about the compliments I gave before that mention: classy owner, respected organization, etc. And if I thought Texans fans were losers, their team going 9-7 this year, which I have said I think could very well happen, would not change that, now would it?

Again, clearly I didn't write that particular point very well, that's why I
didn't understand the backlash. I have written before that the real loser Texans fans are the ones who jumped ship, and or rooted for the Titans when they played here, not the rabid, loyal fans that I mention in the piece.

Trust me, I applaud fans who stick by their team and have nothing but positives to say about the Texans and what they have done in the post-Casserly era.

JS

the wonger need food
07-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Tedc
07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Well at least he agrees that he doesn't write very well.:shades:

Texan_Bill
07-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I'll read those when I get a minute, but I am swamped right now. I understand the "loser" comment is what has gotten people so upset. And yes, I find that funny too, but it is as much poor writing as bad reading comprehension, but there is no way that I meant loser in the way many people took it.

I was only referring to having a team that has never had a winning season, not the personal character slam that one uses when calling a person a loser.

Think about the compliments I gave before that mention: classy owner, respected organization, etc. And if I thought Texans fans were losers, their team going 9-7 this year, which I have said I think could very well happen, would not change that, now would it?

didn't understand the backlash. I have written before that the real loser Texans fans are the ones who jumped ship, and or rooted for the Titans when they played here, not the rabid, loyal fans that I mention in the piece.

Trust me, I applaud fans who stick by their team and have nothing but positives to say about the Texans and what they have done in the post-Casserly era.

JS

*scratches head*..... The word "crawfish" comes to mind.

Texan_Bill
07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
still stuck on "vinggie" ...which by the way i've NEVER heard ANYONE say...

It's like a dingleberry - only different.

Tedc
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
It's like a dingleberry - only different.

I like Veggie better.

Heath Shuler
07-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow... if I would have known that my post would have caused such a groundswell... well, I probably would have posted it anyway.

Anyhoo, I had a nice little quid pro quo with Jerome over the past couple of days. Like many of you I offered numerous topics to write about vs. the worthless rehashed drivel that he tends to lean on. We'll see how he responds now that people are actually paying attention to him... which was probably his goal all along...

Here is his last response after I pointed him to Steph's article and the message board threads...

JS

Well at least he finds it funny, which I assume to mean he is having fun, and we all know that is the most important thing.

Talk about adding insult to injury. Now as a Texan fan I am not only a loser but Solomon says my reading comprehension skills are weak. How does this guy keep his job?

Vinny
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
football season can't come soon enough for me.:texflag:

Tedc
07-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Talk about adding insult to injury. Now as a Texan fan I am not only a loser but Solomon says my reading comprehension skills are weak. How does this guy keep his job?

We are all ignorant in his eyes. If he wanted to get his point across, he should have spent a little more time writing a better story so someone with poor comprehension (loser Texan Fans) may understand what he means.

HoustonFrog
07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I have a feeling he is getting exactly what his lazy article was meant to get..attention. I'm always wondering if some of these people, the Skip Bayless of the world, just don't have it in them to write real sports reports or examinations on sports. They want to make sports more national enquirer instead of baseball weekly so they talk about Troy Aikman being gay or the Texans being horrible or whatever else lets them then respond and continue to explain. In a day and age where we are overinundated with sports there are just too many writers who have the same "me" attitude as some of the athletes.Its the Frand Defords of the world that are missing.

Texans_Chick
07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
When you write an article, each article speaks for itself. You have to assume your reader hasn't read everything you've written. If someone is a longtime writer in a particular market, he has more of a latitude to go a little more on the edge on what he writes.

Most people who read that article do not know that Solomon has predicted that the Texans will go 9-7.

All they know is that it is the eve of training camp, there are so many stories that could be written about the team, and he goes out of his way to write a potstirring article. To tell the people in the Houston area that the Texans are losers and that people perceive them that way. Really?

If you are wanting to poke a little fun at a fanbase, it is best to do it after you already have a long shared history with them and they know what and who you are about. Otherwise, they will misinterpret your intentions.

Houston Chronicle readers do not know Solomon as someone who thinks the Texans will do well this year and that bandwagon fans are jokes. By the example of that article, they know him as someone who gratuitously goes out of his way to alienate an entire fanbase.

Tedc
07-18-2007, 12:52 PM
When you write an article, each article speaks for itself. You have to assume your reader hasn't read everything you've written. If someone is a longtime writer in a particular market, he has more of a latitude to go a little more on the edge on what he writes.

Most people who read that article do not know that Solomon has predicted that the Texans will go 9-7.

All they know is that it is the eve of training camp, there are so many stories that could be written about the team, and he goes out of his way to write a potstirring article. To tell the people in the Houston area that the Texans are losers and that people perceive them that way. Really?

If you are wanting to poke a little fun at a fanbase, it is best to do it after you already have a long shared history with them and they know what and who you are about. Otherwise, they will misinterpret your intentions.

Houston Chronicle readers do not know Solomon as someone who thinks the Texans will do well this year and that bandwagon fans are jokes. By the example of that article, they know him as someone who gratuitously goes out of his way to alienate an entire fanbase.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Texans_Chick again.

Hervoyel
07-18-2007, 05:53 PM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Texans_Chick again.

I got it.

Wolf
07-19-2007, 12:11 AM
*scratches head*..... The word "crawfish" comes to mind.

http://www.digivideoplus.com/gallery/bayoubash2003pix/image/i_am_crawfish.jpg

yep and as the legs are backing up

sadly we can't get reporting like this or even remotely like this on the "hometown" newspaper

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10257184/rss (training camp battle Maddox versus Johnson) there is a thread started on this also

Runner
07-19-2007, 09:00 PM
We are all ignorant in his eyes. If he wanted to get his point across, he should have spent a little more time writing a better story so someone with poor comprehension (loser Texan Fans) may understand what he means.

If he had said looser it would have been better accepted, I think.

threetoedpete
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
If he had said looser it would have been better accepted, I think.

Well so far, he's not so educated to admit he was wrong and own up to it. So far he falls right in line with every other aroggant a-hole the chornicle has staffed. Not including Megan Manfull.

The fans have no controll over what tallent is brought in by the front office. All we can do is cheer and coax them on. And suffer mightly when those moves don't pan out. But and this here thing is a fact....I never saw the dome empty when the Oilers were simply terrible. There was always a core of us, 33K, that always showed up. Wanna lump us into the loser cat. Fine, but for the record we showed up and lived and died with those guys no matter how bad they were. There's sixty thousand families and companies who've already ponied up there mad money for season tickets for a team who has, for who ever's fault it is, that has never seen a winning season. That there isn't a loser. That there thingy, Jerome, is a fan base houngry for a winning team.

worked vinny tyvm

the wonger need food
07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I still have no idea what a "looser" is...

threetoedpete
07-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Maybe it is someone who is so arrogant they won't stand up and utter those three little majic words. " I was wrong. " got wonger I was wrong. Must be nice never to make a mistake.

HoustonFrog
07-20-2007, 12:24 PM

An easy first date...lol.:)

Porky
07-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Easy. It's the opposite of a "tighter". Duh. :pirate:

Tedc
07-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Maybe it is someone who is so arrogant they won't stand up and utter those three little majic words. " I was wrong. " got wonger I was wrong. Must be nice never to make a mistake.

Thank GAWD. I was wondering what you meant.

A magic moment. ;)

Runner
07-20-2007, 06:16 PM

That is the way loser is spelled about 37%* of the time here. Sometimes this board is a regular gallimaufry of misspellings.

*This number is highly suspect because I just made it up - but I think you get my drift.

Tedc
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
gallimaufry

Excellent!! Rep!!

I wonder if Jerome Soloman (remember him...this is a thread about him) knows what it means.

NitroGSXR
07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Did I take offense to Jerome Solomon's article? Not really. My team loses and I'm proud to be assosicated with my Houston Texans. I will follow them until the day I die. That being said, Jerome Solomon's response to The Wonger Need Food just struck me as hilarious. This guy just lost total credibility to me. Should we be angry at Solomon? Not really. We need to voice our concerns directly to the Houston Chronicle for hiring a blogger to write articles.

Solomon most likely wrote this as he had explained to The Wonger Need Food but he's now using this backlash to generate more attention which is every writer's objective. This really lies with the Houston Chronicle more than anything else.

Many of you have problems with our writers that I just don't find why you have those problems in the first place. I've always felt that these guys are here to write for the general public and not necessarily the hardcore people. You guys are hardcore. Hardcore, I tell you. The only time that I would have a problem with articles being written is that if they were maliciously written or aren't factual. It is supposed to be one man's opinion meshed in with the actual happenings. I'd pay 50 cents a day for that.

Now with Jerome Solomon, his article and his responses have been nothing but of a typical person who writes blogs. Not someone I'd say that has established himself as a true neutral nor a person who can write for the masses.

I was pretty shocked and quite insulted at the article when I first read it but once I read his response... I can't help but laugh. He's just one of us. A blogger. Nobody special. That being said, I welcome his opinion but definitely not in the employ of the Houston Chronicle. I welcome his opinion as a blogger.

the wonger need food
07-20-2007, 10:20 PM
He's just one of us. A blogger. Nobody special. That being said, I welcome his opinion but definitely not in the employ of the Houston Chronicle. I welcome his opinion as a blogger.

He's on the Houston Chronicle's payroll and this was a featured article, not a blog.

And we're not really bloggers, just posting on a message board... but I see your point. I think most of our complaints revolve around the lack of true coverage of our team. We could list dozens of topics that would be infinitely more interesting than the crud that he posted.

NitroGSXR
07-20-2007, 10:36 PM
He's on the Houston Chronicle's payroll and this was a featured article, not a blog.

And we're not really bloggers, just posting on a message board... but I see your point. I think most of our complaints revolve around the lack of true coverage of our team. We could list dozens of topics that would be infinitely more interesting than the crud that he posted.
Blogger and a message board poster pretty much is the same thing to solid posters. I'm not trying to put anyone down but when I post something, I try to make it as well written as I can and as well researched as I can and I don't apply those who 'post pad' with one liners that really don't have much to do with what's being discussed. Do I write actual blogs, not really but I definitely do my share of posting but I consider it a blog because of the thought that I try to put into my posts. I want to earn each and every one of them and this is where I see it as of being Jerome Solomon's strength i.e. blogging or posting.

nedthehead
07-21-2007, 10:35 AM
He is absolutely 100 percent correct. The truth hurts.:whip: :gun:

the wonger need food
07-21-2007, 10:49 AM
He is absolutely 100 percent correct. The truth hurts.:whip: :gun:

And you are absolutely 100 percent troll. The truth feels good.

HJam72
07-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Blogger and a message board poster pretty much is the same thing to solid posters. I'm not trying to put anyone down but when I post something, I try to make it as well written as I can and as well researched as I can and I don't apply those who 'post pad' with one liners that really don't have much to do with what's being discussed. Do I write actual blogs, not really but I definitely do my share of posting but I consider it a blog because of the thought that I try to put into my posts. I want to earn each and every one of them and this is where I see it as of being Jerome Solomon's strength i.e. blogging or posting.

Speak for yourselves. :)

PS-I expect rep for that, lol.

NitroGSXR
07-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Speak for yourselves. :)

PS-I expect rep for that, lol.

Ummm. What?

*sigh*

I am speaking for myself. I'm saying who I'd research and try to make a well written post everytime I post.

I'm sure you're sitting there in your snoopy boxers all the while munching on a twinkie feeling like a genuine funnyman here. Whatever floats your boat.

HJam72
07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Ummm. What?

*sigh*

Now, see, that's the kind of post that I strive for. :)