PDA

View Full Version : What would it take (Texans need to go 8-8)

red_dirt
07-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I am curious about the true feeling overall of the decision making of the Houston Texans. I think that counting wins and losses is a good way to determine if we are headed in the right direction. So just post a quick reply and say how many wins do you think the Texans need to have this year in order to validate the turn around. I'll start, I think they need to go 8-8.

hobie
07-17-2007, 08:24 AM
8 wins........:shades:

rickyb
07-17-2007, 08:38 AM
check out the post "Poll: Record Prediction 2007".

I bumped it up to the front page just now.
Sorry, I could not figure out how to post a link to that thread.

Rick

red_dirt
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
check out the post "Poll: Record Prediction 2007".

I bumped it up to the front page just now.
Sorry, I could not figure out how to post a link to that thread.

Rick

Thanks, I havent had time to follow this MB for awhile.

rickyb
07-17-2007, 09:15 AM
i still think that while counting wins and losses is an okay way to determine if we are "heading in the right direction"...not really the best way though (although i can't really think of a better way)

it just doesn't tell the whole story, you know? there is so much that goes into a football team...it's like a real war. there is the battle/games, of course, but there is also the economics of football that really give it another dimension. there's also politics with talking trades to other countries/gm's. there is a social part too, but that's mostly just football players getting arrested for a wide array of stupidity...

At the risk of sounding too trite, wins are the only way to the playoffs. Just as profits measure the health of a business, so wins are to a football team. I grant you, there is much more subtext, as you allude. Your point about the FO is well-taken.

all the best,
rick

HJam72
07-17-2007, 09:49 AM
There are this quarter's profits, this year's profits, and long-term profits and goals. You don't want to get too caught up in worrying about the "right now" profits.

Having said that, I think this team needs to win 8 games this year, or this entire franchise is in deep doo-doo. It just can't keep taking losses too its reputation and not expect it to eventually prevent the future positives from happening.

The good news is this team will win 8 games, minimum. The fans around the country just don't know it yet--and who can blame them.

real
07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know if wins and losses is as much of a measuring stick for the home team fans as much as it is on a national scale...

Personally the wins and losses aren't going to say a thing to me about how the team has improved...

I'm looking for a better product to be put onto the field...nothing more, nothing less...

I want to see good football being played all year long...If we can do that then the wins should follow...

The Pencil Neck
07-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I expect the Texans to go 8-8 this year. But in terms of improvement, I want the team to PLAY better than they did last year. I want to see a 2-minute drill where appropriate. I want to see more variety in plays called. I want to finish statistically in the top half of the league in both offense and defense.

I'm not going to be asking for Kubiak to step down unless they really have a meltdown year.

Texans Horror
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
:offtopic

Off topic a bit, but I want to shift from predictions to what it would take to get 8-8. I think there are several crucial factors.

1. Playing each team at a high level. For the past two years, the Texans have lost a game a season to a team that, in hindsight, did horrible that year and the Texans should not have lost (Buffalo, Washington).

2. Gain momentum and win down the stretch. IMO, the Texans have an easier season during the first eight games, and I could see them winning 3 to 5 before the bye-week. Keeping that momentum and winning in the second-half of the season is where those last 2-3 wins would come from.

3. Run Game - This has to pay off huge dividends. The Texans can probably get by as a one-receiver team IF the running game is powerful. (No, I'm not assuming AJ is the only player receiving, but I am asserting that with Green catching and minimal support from TE and a #2 receiver, the Texans are alright (looking at a .500) if the running game is a steamroller.)

4. Defensive line/Linebackers Need to Pass Block - Years of draft have created the basis of a strong, young defensive line. To make .500, this line is going to have to really step up and keep the QBs rattled.

5. Left Tackle, whoever it is, needs to hold - Salaam, Spencer, Black, Frye...whoever it is at left tackle, that person has got to protect Matt's blindside and anchor what should be a solid line. The Texans need to be able to run to the right and to the left.

6 Staying Healthy - Salaam, Green, Dayne, Flanagan are all on my "likely to be injured at some point this season" list. Keepign these guys healthy for as long as possible is key to making .500. If it's the bye-week and the Texans are looking at another decimated line and Green stuck on the sidelines, it will be a VERY LONG SEASON.

badboy
07-17-2007, 02:01 PM
:offtopic

Off topic a bit, but I want to shift from predictions to what it would take to get 8-8. I think there are several crucial factors.

1. Playing each team at a high level. For the past two years, the Texans have lost a game a season to a team that, in hindsight, did horrible that year and the Texans should not have lost (Buffalo, Washington).

2. Gain momentum and win down the stretch. IMO, the Texans have an easier season during the first eight games, and I could see them winning 3 to 5 before the bye-week. Keeping that momentum and winning in the second-half of the season is where those last 2-3 wins would come from.

3. Run Game - This has to pay off huge dividends. The Texans can probably get by as a one-receiver team IF the running game is powerful. (No, I'm not assuming AJ is the only player receiving, but I am asserting that with Green catching and minimal support from TE and a #2 receiver, the Texans are alright (looking at a .500) if the running game is a steamroller.)

4. Defensive line/Linebackers Need to Pass Block - Years of draft have created the basis of a strong, young defensive line. To make .500, this line is going to have to really step up and keep the QBs rattled.

5. Left Tackle, whoever it is, needs to hold - Salaam, Spencer, Black, Frye...whoever it is at left tackle, that person has got to protect Matt's blindside and anchor what should be a solid line. The Texans need to be able to run to the right and to the left.

I did not have the advantage of reading your post before I put up thread if anyone should be fired if we do less than 8-8. I agree with your comments and on #5 even if you did not actually mean the LT should hold; the loss of yardage due to penalty would be better under most scenarios than getting the QB crunched a maybe losing the ball. I think the key to the offense may be Schaub's ability to mix the plays up between passing and running successfully. A quick dink pass to a TE for 5 yards will be very helpful. I also think that beating the teams you are supposed to beat (listen up Astros) is mandatory.

gary
07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
I think we need to go 10-6:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

Texans Horror
07-17-2007, 02:33 PM
I did not have the advantage of reading your post before I put up thread if anyone should be fired if we do less than 8-8. I agree with your comments and on #5 even if you did not actually mean the LT should hold; the loss of yardage due to penalty would be better under most scenarios than getting the QB crunched a maybe losing the ball. I think the key to the offense may be Schaub's ability to mix the plays up between passing and running successfully. A quick dink pass to a TE for 5 yards will be very helpful. I also think that beating the teams you are supposed to beat (listen up Astros) is mandatory.

LT needs to hold the line, but I'm biased. I think the best thing the Texans ever had at LT was Seth Wand, and I think they would be 8-8 already if he was still the LT, but they never gave him the support or opportunity (until it was too late).