PDA

View Full Version : Asante Samuel hold-out until week 10?

TexansSeminole
07-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Asante Samuel is claiming he is prepared to hold-out until week 10 if not paid what he wants. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-samuel&prov=ap&type=lgns

He already skipped minicamp.

TexanSam
07-17-2007, 03:22 AM
If he holds out until week 10, he's not going to get paid what he wants then either. He's not like wine. He's not going to get better (and thus paid more) the longer he waits.

brakos82
07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Rumor is he's gon' be traded. :shades:

Specnatz
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
He can now only accept the 1 year offer of a franchised player. Under the rules he can not now sign a multi year deal.

Goldensilence
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Asante needs to carefully think about this. How many people after leaving the Pats organization have enjoyed the same amount of sucess they have had over the past 5 years?

TEXANS84
07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Asante got annually burned until this season, and now he's an elite cornerback? Please.

Lets see how well he does on a defense that can't apply pressure to the quarterback.

GoPats
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Asante got annually burned until this season, and now he's an elite cornerback? Please.

Lets see how well he does on a defense that can't apply pressure to the quarterback.

I can't tell you how glad I am to see this coming from a fan outside of New England. Samuel was almost a liability until '06. You don't get 10 picks if other teams are afraid to throw to your side of the field (unless you're Champ Bailey, and Asante is certainly NOT).

He's a solid CB, but elite? No way. If he thinks he can get more money elsewhere, he's either delusional or getting offers in pesos instead of dollars.

Mr teX
07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't know if he's gonna sit & watch 10 250,000 checks go by. If he does, he's got balls of steel. At this point to me, it's not even about him duplicating his production from last year so as to validate the patriots giving him the deal he feels he deserves. You have to pay to keep talented guys around period. He may not be shut down but he's better than most starting corners in the league. I hate how the patriots front office thinks that as long as they have Brady & a bunch of rejects, they can continue to win super bowls b/c truthfully it's just not true. They should've found that out last year especially after Reche "bugged eye" Caldwell essentially costed them the AFC championship game last year & Brady's nonchalant pleas to keep Branch around.

Frankly, i hope he does sit & the patriots cover defense suffers b/c of it. that might finally bring them to the realization that you need SOME talent to continue to win.

real
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I think the Pats can find another CB that can fill the role sufficiently, but I DO think Asante is a very good corner...

Mr teX
07-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I think the Pats can find another CB that can fill the role sufficiently, but I DO think Asante is a very good corner...

That's probably true, but why take the chance, why don't you just keep the guy who's been there & who might be coming into his own? a couple of days ago, they were just saying that they were close to a deal so you know it wasn't a tremendous discrepancy in money that he wanted. I say just pay the guy.

I think they're just being cheap, Hell, Brady gave them a HUGE break with his contract, put that saved money somewhere else in the team so as to sustain the excellence.

TexanAddict
07-19-2007, 02:55 PM
That's probably true, but why take the chance, why don't you just keep the guy who's been there & who might be coming into his own? a couple of days ago, they were just saying that they were close to a deal so you know it wasn't a tremendous discrepancy in money that he wanted. I say just pay the guy.

I think they're just being cheap, Hell, Brady gave them a HUGE break with his contract, put that saved money somewhere else in the team so as to sustain the excellence.

The deadline has passed for teams to negotiate long term contracts with franchised players. They must now wait until after the season.

Mr teX
07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
The deadline has passed for teams to negotiate long term contracts with franchised players. They must now wait until after the season.

Yeah i know, i was speaking on what they should've done before the dealine.

hollywood_texan
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't know if he's gonna sit & watch 10 250,000 checks go by. If he does, he's got balls of steel.

Actually, I think it would be at $550k per game.

Being Franchised gets him annual contract around $9,000,000.

Divide that by 16 and you get $562,500.

hollywood_texan
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM

I believe that issue is with the team he is on at time being Franchised.

If traded, that isn't an issue for the team that acquired him.

Maybe I am wrong?

Mr teX
07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Actually, I think it would be at $550k per game.

Being Franchised gets him annual contract around $9,000,000.

Divide that by 16 and you get $562,500.

.......:wacko: :drunk: :loser

Good catch, in that case he'd be all of the above if he passed on 10 game checks in that amount. actually, just more of the first.

real
07-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Oh, I agree with you.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm all for what the Patriots are doing. Why would any organization want to shell out the amount of money wants after one good season? IMO, one very good year doesn't justify a huge long term contract.

I would think if he has a similar season this year he could cash it in. He's only hurting himself long-term by threatening to holdout.

TexansSeminole
07-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the Pats used the money that Brady saved them to sign Randy Moss. I may be wrong but that is what I thought happened.

Goldensilence
07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't know if he's gonna sit & watch 10 250,000 checks go by. If he does, he's got balls of steel. At this point to me, it's not even about him duplicating his production from last year so as to validate the patriots giving him the deal he feels he deserves. You have to pay to keep talented guys around period. He may not be shut down but he's better than most starting corners in the league. I hate how the patriots front office thinks that as long as they have Brady & a bunch of rejects, they can continue to win super bowls b/c truthfully it's just not true. They should've found that out last year especially after Reche "bugged eye" Caldwell essentially costed them the AFC championship game last year & Brady's nonchalant pleas to keep Branch around.

Frankly, i hope he does sit & the patriots cover defense suffers b/c of it. that might finally bring them to the realization that you need SOME talent to continue to win.

I just don't think Branch was worth the contract either and that the Seahawks were stupid to pay a #1 to acquire a medicore WR.

The pats also went pretty far out this year to overhaul their WR corps as well so yeah they have learned that that that crew of rejects wasn't going to cut it...that said...Peyton had to engineer a hell of a comeback for the Pats to lose.

Mr teX
07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I just don't think Branch was worth the contract either and that the Seahawks were stupid to pay a #1 to acquire a medicore WR.

The pats also went pretty far out this year to overhaul their WR corps as well so yeah they have learned that that that crew of rejects wasn't going to cut it...that said...Peyton had to engineer a hell of a comeback for the Pats to lose.

Yeah, but it really shouldn't have been about if they thought he was worth it or not. This guy showed up in the biggest game of the year, took home the MVP trophy, has repore (sp?) with your QB, knows the system & how things work in the Patriots camp, he's a good guy & you just can't put a price tag on things like that. On top of all that, he isn't a slouch WR either.

His numbers aren't that bad considering the fact that Brady spreads the ball around very well & he didn't get a chance to start until 2004. Is he a gamebreaker in the mold of Steve Smith or TO? No, but you're not just paying for production you're paying for everything else i named above. Let's just put it like this, had that been branch on the other end of the pass Caldwell dropped, we might've been talking about how sick we are of seeing the patriots in the superbowl instead of this.

Goldensilence
07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but it really shouldn't have been about if they thought he was worth it or not. This guy showed up in the biggest game of the year, took home the MVP trophy, has repore (sp?) with your QB, knows the system & how things work in the Patriots camp, he's a good guy & you just can't put a price tag on things like that. On top of all that, he isn't a slouch WR either.

His numbers aren't that bad considering the fact that Brady spreads the ball around very well & he didn't get a chance to start until 2004. Is he a gamebreaker in the mold of Steve Smith or TO? No, but you're not just paying for production you're paying for everything else i named above. Let's just put it like this, had that been branch on the other end of the pass Caldwell dropped, we might've been talking about how sick we are of seeing the patriots in the superbowl instead of this.

IMO Branch got it but the MVP could've just as easily been someone else from that game. I'm not saying he's a horrible receiver just that i wouldn't have given a first rounder for him and i wouldn't have given him elite money either. What gets me is NE offered him a fair contract given his skill set isn't elite and all that you said. He still wanted top money though and i don't blame NE for saying no.

Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
2002 New England Patriots 13 7 43 489 11.4 49 2 6 2 22
2003 New England Patriots 15 11 57 803 14.1 66 3 9 2 40
2004 New England Patriots 9 9 35 454 13.0 26 4 6 0 27
2005 New England Patriots 16 15 78 998 12.8 51 5 13 1 51
2006 Seattle Seahawks 14 13 53 725 13.7 38 4 8 0 40
TOTAL 67 55 266 3469 13.0 66 18 42 5 180

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302177

Sorry i'm just not paying an AJ type of salary for that kind of production.I do hope him the best in Seattle though cause the rest of the NFC West is catching up with them.

GoPats
07-23-2007, 11:13 AM
a couple of days ago, they were just saying that they were close to a deal so you know it wasn't a tremendous discrepancy in money that he wanted. I say just pay the guy.

They were never even close, according to everything I've read. Samuel wanted something closer to Nate Clements money, and the Pats were offering Nathan Vasher money.

No offense, and I respect your opinion, but the reason the Patriots have been one of the NFL's best teams since the 2001 season is that they don't do stuff like you're suggesting. You don't overpay... for anyone. The two guys who can write their own checks (Brady and Seymour) are locked up long-term. Everyone else on that team is, to an extent, expendable. It's not warm and fuzzy by any means, but obviously it's a good way to build a successful football team over the long term.

Mr teX
07-23-2007, 11:31 AM
They were never even close, according to everything I've read. Samuel wanted something closer to Nate Clements money, and the Pats were offering Nathan Vasher money.

No offense, and I respect your opinion, but the reason the Patriots have been one of the NFL's best teams since the 2001 season is that they don't do stuff like you're suggesting. You don't overpay... for anyone. The two guys who can write their own checks (Brady and Seymour) are locked up long-term. Everyone else on that team is, to an extent, expendable. It's not warm and fuzzy by any means, but obviously it's a good way to build a successful football team over the long term.

True that about the last part, but at some point i remember hearing on NFL network when they talked about his situation, they were saying that the 2 sides were close & Samuels was quoted as saying that b/c of that he felt like a deal would get worked out before the deadline.

Your sources may be better than mine though since your obviously a Pats fan.

I respect the pats organization though, i just think they envy themselves a tad too much in regards to their front office moves.

GoPats
07-24-2007, 09:01 AM
^
I wish they had been (close to a deal), but I don't think that was ever the case. Sounds like they were millions apart, not thousands.

It kind of makes it hard as a fan, because you never know when your favorite guys are going to go (Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, etc). But if the team keeps winning, people are definitely more forgiving! :doot: