PDA

View Full Version : It's official, Irving Cowboys will become

nunusguy
11-03-2004, 09:29 AM
the Arlington Cowboys when their new stadium is built in that Ft.Worth
suburb per results from yesterdays bond financing election in Arlington. This is really more of a business and civic story about the city of Dallas than a sports story. Dallas continues to lose people and corporate entities to other communities in N.Texas. And now the Cowboys won't even be playing in a Dallas suburb. Dallas more & more is becoming the Detroit of Texas.

WWJD
11-03-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Jerry Jones wouldn't have cared if they wanted to build the stadium in the middle of DFW Airport.

JustBonee
11-03-2004, 01:04 PM
"A 75,000-seat retractable-roof stadium, with expansion possibilies to hold 120,000. A roof with 5 interlocking stars that opens towards the sky" ...

I heard this on the radio today, supposedly said by Jerry Jones.
Going for being God's team now. :rolleyes:

WWJD
11-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I hadn't heard the figure of 125 thousand only 100 thousand.

And the 5 interlocking stars hasn't been mentioned in any articles I've read either.

There was a website that I saw once and it never showed stars either but who knows? I know there is to be some sort of partnership between the Rangers and Cowboys to build some sort of complex that unifies both stadiums.

JustBonee
11-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Something from Dallas the local morning sports radio guys said ..??
Who knows ...Jerry's dreams maybe, but yeah, probably not feasible.

Anyway, whatever they do, their goal will be to outdo Reliant .. :rofl:

WWJD
11-03-2004, 01:25 PM
The website that I saw the picture of the stadium at is not working so they've either taken it down or it's got too many viewers.

It had a open end type endzone that I really can't describe without you seeing the picture. Unique but I'm not sure how it would work. It looked like people were walking on a long walkway but with no barriers or railings. I'm sure that would never be approved because of the danger of falling. It was very different looking though.

Personally I like open air stadiums but I know that is not feasible anymore for today's fans because of the weather and everybody wants a SB so they are all going retractable so they can accomodate one.

I do know the stadium will be a grass field. We'll see I guess.

I think the Jets are campaigning for a new stadium and their plan was very nice too.

JustBonee
11-03-2004, 01:35 PM
The website that I saw the picture of the stadium at is not working so they've either taken it down or it's got too many viewers.
I know the picture you mean. I had it on the other Texan board... believe it's gone. Those were the old plans ... :hehe:

WWJD
11-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Yea it was a whole website with a picture of the stadium. And various other threads you could open with comments from players like Bob Lilly, etc.

It was really a weird picture with those open endzones and I just couldn't imagine how they could make that work.

The things they come up with nowadays!

Reddevil63
11-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I hadn't heard the figure of 125 thousand only 100 thousand.

And the 5 interlocking stars hasn't been mentioned in any articles I've read either.

There was a website that I saw once and it never showed stars either but who knows? I know there is to be some sort of partnership between the Rangers and Cowboys to build some sort of complex that unifies both stadiums.
They are just going to be in the same general area with alot of development around the two stadiums. Some sort of Cowboys amusement park idonno: Anywho all i know is I could care less where the Cowboys play and my sales tax just went up from 7.5 percent to 8.25. :thumbdown

El_DudeArino
11-03-2004, 02:48 PM
They are just going to be in the same general area with alot of development around the two stadiums. Some sort of Cowboys amusement park idonno: Anywho all i know is I could care less where the Cowboys play and my sales tax just went up from 7.5 percent to 8.25. :thumbdown

That's to unAmerican for me... :thumbdown

Double Barrel
11-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Well good for the Cowboys!

Although I hate the Cowboys, I would hate to see them leave Texas even more!

HowBoutThemCowboys!
11-03-2004, 05:56 PM
This is great to have a new Arlington. Arlington is right in the middle of Fort Worth and Dallas. So it's convenant to get to. Most likely there will be a Superbowl there by 2011. Looks very impressive

lol, the stadium will be right next to a MLB ball park and a Six Flags just like you guys

Joe Texan
11-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Arlington is a perfect spot for the metroplex, right in the middle with freways coming and going

BigWig
11-04-2004, 09:23 AM
What you left out was the fact that you voters just lined Jerra's pockets even more. That money will go to the stadium all right but its coming out of your taxpaying pockets, not to mention the fact that they are only reimbursing the people who have to uproot their homes in the way for moving costs unless they go to court and sue. Knowing the area these peopl are most likely middle calss and could use some of Jerra's money.
All I can say is I am so glad we have Mc Nair and company running our show and dont have to deal with a money grubber like Jones.

WWJD
11-04-2004, 09:32 AM
They haven't even secured the land where they are going to put the stadium. I would like to know the source of the information that all these people are going to be uprooted and tossed out.

It's not in the Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, Ft. Worth Star Telegram or any other papers I've been able to goggle up this morning.

I'm not sure of the truth to all that. It's certainly possible. But I've yet to read a single article where anybody was going to lose their home. The certainty is the exact acreage where the stadium will be built has not been purchased yet.

cuppacoffee
11-04-2004, 10:32 AM
I was hoping they would move further west than that. :hehe:

ArlingtonTexan
11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
They haven't even secured the land where they are going to put the stadium. I would like to know the source of the information that all these people are going to be uprooted and tossed out.

It's not in the Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, Ft. Worth Star Telegram or any other papers I've been able to goggle up this morning.

I'm not sure of the truth to all that. It's certainly possible. But I've yet to read a single article where anybody was going to lose their home. The certainty is the exact acreage where the stadium will be built has not been purchased yet.

The site is in an older, poorer neighborhood that they are going to revitilze...i.e. buy people houses (hopely at a fair rate) or go eminate domain on them. Don't mind the stadium, but i politically and philosophically opposed to being taxed to support it.

WWJD
11-04-2004, 03:34 PM
I'll be interested to see how this all plays out and if people are dragged out kicking and screaming from their homes or if they go cash a nice big check and move on up. Nothing stops progress I guess.

StarStruck
11-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Having lived through the stadium initiative in Houston, I can imagine the negative publicity from those against the new stadium for the Cowboys. I still hear comments from folks about all the funding needed for more critical needs, yet voters have no problem voting for McNair's new toy. Whether I like the Cowboys or not, from a growth and business prospective, the Cowboys are well overdue to upgrade their facilities and it will benefit more than the Cowboys organization, the same is with the Texans, their organization, and Houston as a whole.

WWJD
11-04-2004, 06:09 PM
There are a few other teams with stadium plans in place. Some surprised me.

New Orleans Saints..

Arizona Cardinals..

NY Jets..

Minnesota Vikings

and another few I cannot recollect.

One was very odd looking. It had panels all the way around that looked like they peeled off. Very modernistic design.

It's sort of cool to see what these architects can come up with nowadays.

BigWig
11-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Most of the chatter I heard was here in Austin on talkradio 590 am. As with any situation it was probably an opinion but it sounded legit not to mention they were having callers call in and express their feelings. We might be the 3rd coast here in the ATX but unfortunately from I have to listen to too much talk bout the boys from Big D. LMBH said it though they do need a stadium, cause the one they have now is very outdated and rundown, I dont know if I'll go back for the preseason matchup again like last year.

StarStruck
11-05-2004, 12:10 AM
One was very odd looking. It had panels all the way around that looked like they peeled off. Very modernistic design.

It's sort of cool to see what these architects can come up with nowadays.

My guess it is the Arizona Cardinals stadium. It has a rather interesting appearance.

http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/design.html

WWJD
11-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Yes that is the one! I think that is very cool looking. I really like that design.

And there is no doubt that the Cowboys needed a new stadium.

Wolf
01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/cowboysstadium/stories/012808dnmetrotation.2e213aa.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-08/0128rotation1.jpg

"Let's plan together how we produce this first game in such as a way that it's the best that has ever been done in the history of the Super Bowl," Mr. Lively said about the committee's approach. "Then let's regroup when it's all over and see what we need to do as a team to plan the next one."

Such a network of volunteers and paid employees would work together on bids for future Super Bowl games, NCAA basketball Final Four tournaments and other mega-events rather than assembling ad-hoc teams each time.

Marc Ganis, a Chicago-based sports consultant, backs the idea of creating a "quasi-permanent" Super Bowl committee. That could only help North Texas become a powerhouse among bidders.

"It's not just a shot," he said about the chances for future success. "I think that Dallas has an excellent shot to be on this unofficial Super Bowl rotation."

Beaches are nice, Mr. Ganis said, but what a host city really needs is a suitable stadium, great restaurants, resort hotels, golf courses, nightlife, an entertainment district and a strong corporate base.

Wolf
01-28-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.topix.net/content/kri/2008/01/lean-economy-may-hinder-naming-rights-deal

ARLINGTON -- The new Dallas Cowboys stadium has risen almost 300 feet, but it still doesn't have a name.

And with a possible recession looming, the storied NFL franchise's search for a naming rights sponsor may be getting tougher.

Sports marketing analysts say that large corporations may hesitate to sign a sponsorship deal for hundreds of millions of dollars while stock prices are tumbling and jobs are being eliminated.

'It's going to be a tough few years for the economy in general, and that is adding to the Cowboys' issues in terms of getting a deal done,' said Rob Vogel, president of The Bonham Group, a Denver-based sports marketing firm.

What is the status?

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said that he has no timetable for making a deal.

Instead, the team has focused on other long-term corporate commitments, including a 12-year agreement in June naming American Airlines the Cowboys' 'official airline.'

People familiar with the issue have estimated that the Cowboys could get $10 million to $18 million a year for 30-year naming rights for the $1 billion stadium. As part of the Cowboys' agreement with Arlington -- which caps the city's contribution at $325 million -- the city will receive 5 percent of any naming rights deal, up to $500,000 a year.

Although 2007 was a quiet year for naming rights agreements around the country, analysts say there are rumors in the industry that the Cowboys were negotiating one.

'I did hear they were close at one time,' Vogel said.

Last week, Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels said the team has no announcement to make.

Effect of a recession

Analysts say that could help drive up the price of any naming rights deal Jones negotiates.

'To the degree that a team plays in a major market, or receives significant media attention, the value of the rights probably rises,' Leeds said. 'Certainly, Reliant's overspending on the Houston Texans' stadium has set Jones' perception of the market in Texas.'

In 2000, Reliant Energy paid the Houston Texans $300 million to hang its name on their stadium for 32 years. At the time, it was the largest naming rights deal for a U.S. sports venue.

The awarding of the 2011 Super Bowl to the Cowboys stadium could also increase the asking price. Carter said a corporation that wants global notice and likes the stability of the Cowboys brand will be willing to pay millions to name the stadium.

'Maybe they haven't won a playoff game in a while, and they may question Jerry and the coach, but they are still the Cowboys,' Carter said.

TexanSam
01-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I bet it just ends up being called Jones Stadium.

Goldensilence
01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I just moved up here to Dallas about a month ago.

Are they seriously renaming them the Arlington Cowboys?!

Wolf
01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

for those that haven't seen the drawings.

pretty impressive for a fancy toilet bowl(nice and shiny on outside, crap inside of it) :joker:

seriously all joking aside, going to be really nice

can't find the link, but heard it is to glow blue at night and silver during the day or vise versa

AnthonyE
01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't think it looks all that great.

And that's not even my inner-Texan talking.

GuerillaBlack
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
the Arlington Cowboys when their new stadium is built in that Ft.Worth
suburb per results from yesterdays bond financing election in Arlington. This is really more of a business and civic story about the city of Dallas than a sports story. Dallas continues to lose people and corporate entities to other communities in N.Texas. And now the Cowboys won't even be playing in a Dallas suburb. Dallas more & more is becoming the Detroit of Texas.

At least they are in Dallas County now.

nunusguy
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
"It's not just a shot," he said about the chances for future success. "I think that Dallas has an excellent shot to be on this unofficial Super Bowl rotation."
Dream on there Cowboy fan.
While N.Texas is a very attractive area for business convension, its not at all for those who want to party. Especially in the Winter when they can be guaranteed 70 plus degree weather to play golf and hang out on the beach in places like San Diego & South Beach all week long prior to the Sunday football game. N.Texans, with its goofey "local options" in every other precinct, practically rolls up the sidewalks at night compared to those free-wheeling party mecca spots.
Houston, which IMO is a better location for such an event in the dead of winter, has already found out about these things.

GuerillaBlack
01-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I was in DFW when they announced that DFW "won" the Super Bowl (took four re-votes, and they won by like three votes). People on the news and around town were saying "we finally get to showcase Texas". Showcase Texas?! WTF?! Houston had it twice already.

nunusguy
01-30-2008, 07:49 AM
I was in DFW when they announced that DFW "won" the Super Bowl (took four re-votes, and they won by like three votes). People on the news and around town were saying "we finally get to showcase Texas". Showcase Texas?! WTF?! Houston had it twice already.
While I like the wide-open feel of the N.Texas Prairie Country, I find it rather amusing that anyone would claim they can "showcase Texas" from an area that is totally void of any significant geological features like mountains, oceans, or even rivers ?

gwallaia
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
I heard that Jerry Jones plans on buying Arlington and renaming it Jonestown.

HoustonFrog
01-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Dream on there Cowboy fan.
While N.Texas is a very attractive area for business convension, its not at all for those who want to party. Especially in the Winter when they can be guaranteed 70 plus degree weather to play golf and hang out on the beach in places like San Diego & South Beach all week long prior to the Sunday football game. N.Texans, with its goofey "local options" in every other precinct, practically rolls up the sidewalks at night compared to those free-wheeling party mecca spots.
Houston, which IMO is a better location for such an event in the dead of winter, has already found out about these things.

Sorry, but they actually do havce a great shot at the rotation. Jerry Jones has alot of pull in the league and the stadium is made to expand and fit most sized crowds..up to 100,000. Number of fannies in the seats is huge to the NFL. It has the sliding roof and Arlington and the new park can accommodate all of the media and teams right there. Houston won't get a game again. Even McClain said 2 days ago that Dallas has a shot and Houston won't get another. Plus Houston, despite the success and me having a great time..lol..has many complaints of just being too spread out.

Texan_Bill
01-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Sorry, but they actually do havce a great shot at the rotation. Jerry Jones has alot of pull in the league and the stadium is made to expand and fit most sized crowds..up to 100,000. Number of fannies in the seats is huge to the NFL. It has the sliding roof and Arlington and the new park can accommodate all of the media and teams right there. Houston won't get a game again. Even McClain said 2 days ago that Dallas has a shot and Houston won't get another. Plus Houston, despite the success and me having a great time..lol..has many complaints of just being too spread out.

Houston too spread out!?!? Compared to Ft. Worth, Arlington and Dallas?!?! Its about the same land mass... In other words, driving from Dallas to Arlington could be akin to driving from Katy or Clear Lake to downtown..

Besides that.... Houston has scoreboard:
Houston = 2 SB's
DullAss = 0 SB's

What McClain also said about Super Bowls is that some of the lower revenue teams dont like having Super Bowls in high revenue cities (ie Bob McNair/the Texans and Jerrah Jones/ the Gurls).

HoustonFrog
01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Houston too spread out!?!? Compared to Ft. Worth, Arlington and Dallas?!?! Its about the same land mass... In other words, driving from Dallas to Arlington could be akin to driving from Katy or Clear Lake to downtown..

Besides that.... Houston has scoreboard:
Houston = 2 SB's
DullAss = 0 SB's

What McClain also said about Super Bowls is that some of the lower revenue teams dont like having Super Bowls in high revenue cities (ie Bob McNair/the Texans and Jerrah Jones/ the Gurls).

Comparitively it is. Arlington will have the stadium with all the facilities right there. They have hotels and restaurants. People don't need to leave Arlington. If they want to Dallas and Ft. Worth are closer than you think. It is 30 minutes between Dallas and Ft. Worth and on either side it doesn't take long to get to Arlington. The one complaint I heard from many people during the SB here...writers and such..as that they were put in hotels way off I-10 and 59 and then had to come in to downtown in traffic. Arlington can cover most of their needs.

I'm just reporting the news and what has been talked about. The NFL is all about revenue and with standing room and party areas the new stadium can hold 100,000 with 20,000 extra in the other areas. The owners love seat revenue. The main problem is weather and georgraphy. They have the roof but that doesn't mean people will have fun in rainy or cold weather.

I loved it here. It was like adult Spring Break and I used vacation time to go out to the Hilton every night and drink and people watch.

nunusguy
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM

While Arlington may in fact be building the premiere statium in the whole NFL,
I've come to the conclusion that the physical facilities of the SB site are of secondary considerations to what the SB fans want. The game is the icing on the cake of many days, sometimes a full week of robust partying and enjoyment of the varied recreational opportunites offered by the local area.
People coming to a game in the dead of the winter from places like NY, Mass,
MN, MI, etc. are definitely not interested in being stuck in their hotel rooms because of inclement weather (for reference, see the icestorm of the 2000 SB in ATL), but want to be outside in a warm climate escaping the winter confines of their northern climate and not being inhibited by the puritanical values of the local populace (honestly, I've had more difficulty buying a beer in N.Texas than I ever had in Utah, a place where I've visited many times).

HoustonFrog
01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
While Arlington may in fact be building the premiere statium in the whole NFL,
I've come to the conclusion that the physical facilities of the SB site are of secondary considerations to what the SB fans want. The game is the icing on the cake of many days, sometimes a full week of robust partying and enjoyment of the varied recreational opportunites offered by the local area.
People coming to a game in the dead of the winter from places like NY, Mass,
MN, MI, etc. are definitely not interested in being stuck in their hotel rooms because of inclement weather (for reference, see the icestorm of the 2000 SB in ATL), but want to be outside in a warm climate escaping the winter confines of their northern climate and not being inhibited by the puritanical values of the local populace (honestly, I've had more difficulty buying a beer in N.Texas than I ever had in Utah, a place where I've visited many times).

You and I understand this but the owners understand $$$$ and that is what this complex is offering. It all depends on how the first one goes. If it is a success, like here, but there are too many complaints then it will have an uphill battle. I'm just throwing out what I have heard and read lately.

Texan_Bill
01-30-2008, 10:16 AM
You and I understand this but the owners understand $$$$ and that is what this complex is offering. It all depends on how the first one goes. If it is a success, like here, but there are too many complaints then it will have an uphill battle. I'm just throwing out what I have heard and read lately.

Ticket sales for the Super Bowl do not generate nearly what you think they do... Secondary sales yes (scalpers), primary sales from the NFL - no. The NFL generates their Super Bowl revenues from TV rights / commercials. Seat sales are a drop in the bucket.

HoustonFrog
01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Ticket sales for the Super Bowl do not generate nearly what you think they do... Secondary sales yes (scalpers), primary sales from the NFL - no. The NFL generates their Super Bowl revenues from TV rights / commercials. Seat sales are a drop in the bucket.

But the fact that they can get 100,000 is huge and it is the matra I've heard from radio and print media...more people getting to the game thus more monet spent. As I said, I'm just telling what I hear.

StarStruck
01-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Houston has placed bid to host the Super Bowl in 2012.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5499657.html

Texan_Bill
01-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Houston has placed bid to host the Super Bowl in 2012.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5499657.html

Someone (Edit: GuerillaBlack) started a thread about it yesterday...

Not to many responses, but here it is if you would like to read them: Houston Bids for the 2012 Super Bowl (http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46648)

WWJD
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

for those that haven't seen the drawings.

pretty impressive for a fancy toilet bowl(nice and shiny on outside, crap inside of it) :joker:

seriously all joking aside, going to be really nice

can't find the link, but heard it is to glow blue at night and silver during the day or vise versa

To each his own. I think it's beautiful....and the glass outside is designed to reflect different colors depending on the time of day and the sunlight at that particular time of day. They've already started putting up those panes of glass on one side of the stadium.