PDA

View Full Version : Andre working out with his boyz at The U.

the wonger need food
07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-flspumalums10nbjul10,0,903044.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

"This got us to where we are right now, so why change?" said Texans receiver Johnson, a two-time Pro Bowler who was working alongside 16 pros last week. "It's hard, but it gets you in shape and you have to do whatever gets your body ready to perform out there."

I wonder if Andre has skipped any voluntary OTA time for his U. workouts.

And if Miami's strength and conditioning coach is so good why hasn't he been hired by an NFL team?

bigbrewster2000
07-10-2007, 10:37 AM
He was at all of the OTA's and now they have been off for a few weeks. Hey if he wants to work out during his off time before camp starts I am all for it.

Texans_Chick
07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-flspumalums10nbjul10,0,903044.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

"This got us to where we are right now, so why change?" said Texans receiver Johnson, a two-time Pro Bowler who was working alongside 16 pros last week. "It's hard, but it gets you in shape and you have to do whatever gets your body ready to perform out there."

And if Miami's strength and conditioning coach is so good why hasn't he been hired by an NFL team?

I was talking to someone with the Texans and he said that the guy with the least body fat on the team is Dunta Robinson. But that a close second is Andre Johnson. That's pretty crazy given how huge he is.

Double Barrel
07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Sounds to me like AJ is driven to raise his game, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that attitude from our only offensive playmaker.

Dude is going to have a monster year and his third Pro Bowl appearance. Just watch. :texflag:

Texans Horror
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I have heard many times that AJ works out down there. He's one of the regulars. But I've never heard, and always wondered, if Eric Winston heads to Miami for the Swasey training, too.

nunusguy
07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I have heard many times that AJ works out down there. He's one of the regulars. But I've never heard, and always wondered, if Eric Winston heads to Miami for the Swasey training, too.
AJ not only went to Miami, he's a native of the area and has family there so its convenient for him while Winston is from West Texas I believe. Therefor would expect he might return to the Midlasnd-Odessa area when time permits in the offseason to visit family & friends.

Mr teX
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
That's what most of the former UM players do in the offseason.

Texans Horror
07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
AJ not only went to Miami, he's a native of the area and has family there so its convenient for him while Winston is from West Texas I believe. Therefor would expect he might return to the Midlasnd-Odessa area when time permits in the offseason to visit family & friends.

I understand the need to spend time with family, but on the other hand, what part of hanging out in Miami/South Beach sounds worse than lifting weights with 16 - 18 year old boys and hanging out at the local Midland watering holes? I've been there, and like the rest of West Texas, there ain't much there.

I think you have a totally valid point. Lots of players like to visit relatives for a while. And players like AJ keep a condo in the area. On the other hand, not just Miami-area players are returning to Miami. For example, Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne are two guys with families in Louisiana, yet they train in Miami during the offseason.

Runner
07-10-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm pretty darn sure he's never missed mandatory Texans functions, even the "voluntary" OTAs, in favor of these Miami workouts.

TexansSeminole
07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty darn sure he's never missed mandatory Texans functions, even the "voluntary" OTAs, in favor of these Miami workouts.

That's what I remember.

PapaL
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Its what the best UM players do; which happen to be some of the best NFL players right now. If training there better prepares him and other guys, why not have the whole Texans staff on hand to observe and tailor or workouts? There is no questioning how successful these guys have been.

TexansSeminole
07-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Its what the best UM players do; which happen to be some of the best NFL players right now. If training there better prepares him and other guys, why not have the whole Texans staff on hand to observe and tailor or workouts? There is no questioning how successful these guys have been.

TheTexans need to focus on their schemes and chemistry. No sense in wasting time observing a offseason workout.

PapaL
07-11-2007, 08:54 AM
TheTexans need to focus on their schemes and chemistry. No sense in wasting time observing a offseason workout.

How many people are on staff? Yeah I'm sure we can send a few. Especially since our star player is down there and it doesn't seem to affect him focusing on our schemes and chemistry.

real
07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think you can make the automatic connection between Miami's workouts and Miami players being some of the better ones in the leauge...

You also have to consider the fact that they were already good players hence being recruited by Miami...

Yeah they have some of the best players in the leauge; but that's because they have gotten some of the best players coming out of highschool...

Their workouts are probably really, really good but I don't know if these workouts are so great that they will magically transform Owen Daniels into Jeremy Shockey, and C.C Brown into Ed Reed AKA providing a vastly superior workout to what the Texans already provide...

BigTimeTexanFan
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't remember ever hearing Andre missing any OTA's. Besides, he's one of the few players on this team that if I were a coach I would give him a pass because he performs on the field. I'm glad he's doing more to get better. I wish we heard stories like that about some of our other players cough-Travis Johnson-cough.

Texans Horror
07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I'll take AJ's work ethic over a Randy Moss or TO any day.

PapaL
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't think you can make the automatic connection between Miami's workouts and Miami players being some of the better ones in the leauge...

You also have to consider the fact that they were already good players hence being recruited by Miami...

Yeah they have some of the best players in the leauge; but that's because they have gotten some of the best players coming out of highschool...

Their workouts are probably really, really good but I don't know if these workouts are so great that they will magically transform Owen Daniels into Jeremy Shockey, and C.C Brown into Ed Reed AKA providing a vastly superior workout to what the Texans already provide...

Agreed...however, lol, we in theory are picking the best of the best. Our "bust" ratio should be much lower then it currently is (Yes I know there are various other factors). In theory UM is picking from every elgible Male in FL we on the other hand are selecting from a set few that we believe have "it".

I'm not saying we should pick every player from school M or school T I'm saying if their players have been very succesfully using some sort of system - we should mimick it. That is what this league is about after all. :twocents: