PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Woodfin (LB)

Wolf
07-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Texans | Woodfin signed
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:55:22 -0700

The Houston Texans have announced they have signed street free-agent LB Zac Woodfin. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Overalls
07-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Woodfin was out of football last season after playing the final three games of 2005 with Baltimore. He had one tackle.

Atleast he should be well rested.

Buffi2
07-10-2007, 08:27 AM
A little more information.....

linebacker Zac Woodfin signed one-year contract with the Houston Texans on Monday. Woodfin was out of football last season after playing the final three games of 2005 with Baltimore. He had one tackle.

I hope he is well rested - he wasn't real productive before.

source (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=235965)

Porky
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I like his name, but I hope he didn't quuit his day job. :devilpig:

badboy
07-10-2007, 02:00 PM
A little more information.....

I hope he is well rested - he wasn't real productive before.

source (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=235965)
Is he better at stopping run or falling back to protect against a pass? Is he from A&M? J/K

False Start
07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Woodfin was out of football last season after playing the final three games of 2005 with Baltimore. He had one tackle.

Instead of LB , he played LO ....... Left Out . :D

I don't get this one . :um:

V3rm0nt3r
07-14-2007, 11:37 AM
i don't know what the texans are going for.

We have a solid cast in Ryans, Greenwood, Orr, Clark, and Barber.

LB is our strongest position and we bring in a guy who just adds debt after he gets cut.

the only light i can shed on this is that we are looking to drop one of our strong guys and Woodfin takes a 3rd string role.

Carr Bombed
07-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Its just a body for camp.....relax.

Pantherstang84
07-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Its just a body for camp.....relax.

Yep. You have to have enough bodies for intra-squad scrimmages.

maddogmrb
07-14-2007, 03:27 PM
i don't know what the texans are going for.

We have a solid cast in Ryans, Greenwood, Orr, Clark, and Barber.

LB is our strongest position and we bring in a guy who just adds debt after he gets cut.

the only light i can shed on this is that we are looking to drop one of our strong guys and Woodfin takes a 3rd string role.

Wow! I don't know where you get that LB IS our strongest position! Of course, Ryans is excellent in the middle but, I think it is well known that our OLB play is below average and that is probably giving them too much credit.:d:

the wonger need food
07-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I think it is well known that our OLB play is below average and that is probably giving them too much credit.:d:

Can you back this up with any facts or statistics or is this just another one of your typical negative assumptions?

kravix
07-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I actually tried to bust out the stats, to defend Demeco and Greenwood because I think that our LB corps is at the top of the league.

Houston (24th overall ranked def) starting LB's combined for 296 Tackles --6 Sacks --2 Interceptions --7 Defended passes.

Chicago Bears (5th overall ranked def) starting LB's combined for 319 Tackles 1 sack 5 interceptions 16 passes defended.

Jacksonvill (2nd overall ranked def) starting LB's combined for 145 tackles 4 sacks 2 interceptions 8 passes defended.

Tennessee (32nd overall ranked def) starting LB's combined for 274 tackles -- 3 sacks -- 2 interceptions -- 13 passes defended

These are just some 3-4 Defences, it is hard to compare stats to a 4-3 def. But as shown above stats are not a good indicator about how good a LB corps is. It is on the field play. Half of those tackles could be down the field tackles that the SS was bearing down on.

Unless someone cuts about an hour of film on the LB's and shows it to me I am going to stick to my guns. Our LB corps is in the top 10.

Vinny
07-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I actually tried to bust out the stats, to defend Demeco and Greenwood because I think that our LB corps is at the top of the league.
linebacker has been one of our weakest position groups to date. Stats don't mean too much to me since you load up on tackles if you can't stop a team on 3rd down. Getting the opposing offense off the field leads to less tackles. Just look at Jay Foreman and his 100+ tackle seasons then once we got rid of him he couldn't hold a job in the NFL. On the weakside, Greenwood makes a bunch of tackles but most of them are down field. He has good range but isn't much of an impact player. I consider him to be mediocre (not a bad player...just mediocre). The Sam backer is in even worse shape....till proven otherwise.Instead of LB , he played LO ....... Left Out . :D

I don't get this one . :um:its called training camp...its time to bring in all the prospects you think may be able to help.

maddogmrb
07-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Wonger and Kravix:

Can you name even 5 other teams in this league that our OLB's would start for?

Guys, being realistic about our team is not negative and doesn't mean you are not a fan ........ just need to manage our expectations.

Texanmike02
07-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Wonger and Kravix:

Guys, being realistic about our team is not negative and doesn't mean you are not a fan ........ just need to manage our expectations.

Yeah maddogmrb... there are a lot of myopic fans who will dog you *no pun intended* if you aren't drinking the right flavor koolaid"

Mike

maddogmrb
07-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Wonger and Kravix:

Guys & Gals ......... that was really a stupid question I asked. You see ....... WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO OUR STARTING OLB's ARE!!!!! So, how in the world could someone think they are in the top echelon of the league??? At this point, they can't even start for us much less any other team in the league!!

maddogmrb
07-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Just to follow up and then I will let this one lie. Saying our OLB's are in the top 10 in the league is like saying our WR2 is in the top ten in the league! We're not sure who it's going to be but, man he's gonna be good!

Shaft75
07-17-2007, 12:08 AM
I remember wondering who Vonta Leach, Lionel Dalton, and Anthony Maddox were when we signed them. Woodfin may be one of those guys.

TexansSeminole
07-17-2007, 01:52 AM
I remember wondering who Vonta Leach, Lionel Dalton, and Anthony Maddox were when we signed them. Woodfin may be one of those guys.

I think this signing is a bit different than those...but I don't feel bad about this pickup. Like Vinny said you gotta pick up guys who you think will help you.