PDA

View Full Version : A Look at Our Dead Money Figures: NFL Article

Texans Pride
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10245197

(July 3, 2007) -- Drive past any of the 32 NFL facilities and you will see an empty parking lot.

Sure, there are some rookies working early in the morning with the strength coach, but for the most part the veterans are long gone and the coaches are right behind them as everyone tries to recharge their batteries and get ready for the upcoming season. Playbooks have finally been completed, the camp rosters are set -- give or take one player who might get signed to fill a camp need -- and head coaches are playing golf, catching fish, or just sleeping late.

Well, there were a few things left behind that are reminders that the business season never ends.

"Dead money" is the common expression for players still on the salary-cap books who no longer play for the team. Today, we will look at some of the cap issues still lurking for teams around the league.

I took a look at the team salary charges as it relates to the salary cap, and there are a number of teams that really finished up their offseason with some significant dead money against their 2007 salary cap. There's no doubt that all the NFL teams are being run more efficiently than they were 10 years ago. Nonetheless, dead money is not going away when everyone gets back from vacation.

With the 2007 salary cap is $109 million per team, it really isn't bad for a team to be carrying under $10 million of old debt, but when a team crosses over that mark, it causes a strain on the team's ability to do new business.

Seven teams in the NFL are burdened to some degree with over $10 million of dead money each, and no one has a bigger number of player charges on the books for guys no longer with the team than the Houston Texans. Houston had a coaching change a year ago, and it switched defensive schemes from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Both are both driving forces behind the house cleaning that has gone on since the arrival of Gary Kubiak and his staff.

On the 2007 books at a charge of a little over $30 million (close to 30 percent of the entire salary cap) for the Texans but no longer playing for Kubiak are the following players as the franchise continues to revamp the roster.

Name Cap Charge Status
1. Gary Walker $5,500,001 Retired after 2005 season
2. Todd Wade $5,000,000 Joined Washington in 2006
3. Robaire Smith $4,175,002 Played for Tennessee in 2006; joined Cleveland in 2007
4. David Carr $4,000,000 Joined Carolina in 2007
5. Eric Moulds $3,750,000 Free agent
6. Zach Weigert $2,950,000 Free agent
7. Seth Payne $2,250,000 Free agent
8. Domanick Williams $1,300,000 Free agent
9. Kailee Wong $1,167,000 Retired after 2006 season
10. Vernand Morency $189,000 Joined Green Bay in 2006
11. Sam Cowart $135,000 Did not play in 2006
12. Eleven 2006 rookies $74,000
TOTAL 2007 DEAD MONEY: $30,490,003 (approx. 28 percent of cap)

the wonger need food
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Certainly not news to any of us. The best we can hope for is that other NFL teams don't see this article and one of them hires Casserly as their GM. Preferably a team in the AFC South.

Kaiser Toro
07-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Rick Smith is going to have a lot of money to play with next year.

Specnatz
07-04-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10245197

With the 2007 salary cap is $109 million per team, it really isn't bad for a team to be carrying under $10 million of old debt, but when a team crosses over that mark, it causes a strain on the team's ability to do new business.
On the 2007 books at a charge of a little over $30 million (close to 30 percent of the entire salary cap) for the Texans but no longer playing for Kubiak are the following players as the franchise continues to revamp the roster.

Name Cap Charge Status
3. Robaire Smith $4,175,002 Played for Tennessee in 2006; joined Cleveland in 2007
11. Sam Cowart $135,000 Did not play in 2006 12. Eleven 2006 rookies $74,000

Vernand was traded so how does he get labled with dead money? Cowart signed a small deal and he was cut after trainging camp so all that was owed to him was last years money, so now that that season is over with, where is there any dead money? He is not getting paid for 2007.

Kaiser Toro
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Vernand was traded so how does he get labled with dead money? Cowart signed a small deal and he was cut after trainging camp so all that was owed to him was last years money, so now that that season is over with, where is there any dead money? He is not getting paid for 2007.

Even in a trade scenario the bonus portion of Morency's contract accelerates. Dead Money is the portion of the bonus that was not accounted by the club over the term of the contract. The yearly salary does not apply to dead cap.

Hagar
07-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Certainly not news to any of us. The best we can hope for is that other NFL teams don't see this article and one of them hires Casserly as their GM. Preferably a team in the AFC South.Granted, its not news but it is worse then I thought.

Well, at least we're not Detroit, they had $28 MM of dead money in just the receiver position alone.

Good post.

Runner
07-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Name Cap Charge Status
11. Sam Cowart $135,000 Did not play in 2006
12. Eleven 2006 rookies $74,000

These two stand out to me. One on the old regime, one on the new.

I think it was a coaching failure that resulted in Wade's inability to contribute to the Texans. His play gradually worsened through the time he played here. He was rated fairly highly as a free agent when the Texans signed him. His play did nothing but deteriorate under the Capers' regime. Quite a waste of money and talent at a need position.

Moulds was a definite mistake by the new regime. Either they shouldn't have signed him for that money or they shouldn't have cut him. One of those moves was a mistake.

The dead money invested in injured players - Weigert, Payne, Williams, Wong - are hard to avoid. Injuries happen in the league.

the wonger need food
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Moulds was a definite mistake by the new regime. Either they shouldn't have signed him for that money or they shouldn't have cut him.

Since it was a trade I'm pretty sure they just assumed his salary, probably not much of a choice there. He was fairly productive as a number 2 receiver and helped AJ have one of his best seasons. I think he was just a bad locker room guy. If you look at the Bills' boards you will find that he kind of stirred up trouble toward the end of his time there. And you know he wasn't happy with the QB play here. I wish someone would give us the inside scoop on what really happened with Moulds other than he just lost a step and couldn't get open any more.

Runner
07-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Since it was a trade I'm pretty sure they just assumed his salary, probably not much of a choice there.

As I understand it, bonuses don't come with trades - the trading team eats them. The Texans gave him a $5M bonus. I'm sure someone remebers the details of the deal.

Whatever the reason for his not being here, it still should be considered an expensive mistake one way or the other.

Edit: Here it is:

He signed a four-year, $14 million contract with Houston that includes a $5 million signing bonus.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21039&highlight=moulds+bonus+salary

the wonger need food
07-04-2007, 01:05 PM
As I understand it, bonuses don't come with trades - the trading team eats them. The Texans gave him a $5M bonus. I'm sure someone remebers teh details of the deal.

Whatever the reason for his not being here, it still should be considered and expensive mistake one way or the other.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21039&highlight=moulds+bonus+salary

I didn't realize he signed a new deal.

There had to be something going on behind the scenes that we're not privvy to for them to take that big of a hit without blinking. It's also odd that another team hasn't tried to sign him.

checo446
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Who are some prospective Free Agents in 2008 that will be available to us and our newfound money?

Runner
07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
It's also odd that another team hasn't tried to sign him.

I heard some talk after the Texans cut Moulds that he'd end up in Indy. Obviously that didn't happen. Yet.

nunusguy
07-04-2007, 02:58 PM
He was fairly productive as a number 2 receiver and helped AJ have one of his best seasons. I think he was just a bad locker room guy.
If he was instrumental in being AJs "mentor" (popular buzz word around here for too long IMO), is it then a contradiction to say he was a "bad locker room guy" ?
Did not realize that Moulds was that expensive ? Double-whammy for the team: costly cap hit and deprives Walters of opportunities to contribute and
develope for the future. This ones on Kubiak for sure.

alphajoker
07-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I see Moulds as a late TC or mid pre-season addition to some team who may suffer an injury to their WR corp. Other than that, I really haven't seen a demand for him right now.

alphajoker
07-04-2007, 03:11 PM
If he was instrumental in being AJs "mentor" (popular buzz word around here for too long IMO), is it then a contradiction to say he was a "bad locker room guy" ?
Did not realize that Moulds was that expensive ? Double-whammy for the team: costly cap hit and deprives Walters of opportunities to contribute and
develope for the future. This ones on Kubiak for sure.

Yeah, and Kubiak has admitted to it as well. I can't remember where I read it, but I recall that he regretted not playing Walter more last year.

Overalls
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
It does appear that we will have a good amount of money to spend next offseason.

the wonger need food
07-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I does appear that we will have a good amount of money to spend next offseason.

$33 millionish

Marcus
07-04-2007, 09:32 PM
I does appear that we will have a good amount of money to spend next offseason.

All depends on what the 2008 dead money is.

awtysst
07-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Who are some prospective Free Agents in 2008 that will be available to us and our newfound money?

This site gives a potential list. http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=All&y=2008
Just off the top of my head here are a few who could be interesting.
RB: Michael Turner
K: David Akers
LB: Boss Bailey
CB: Charles Tillman

I am not saying the Texans should go after and sign everyone here, if we did, in a few years we'd be in Salary Cap hell. I am saying here are a few people worth looking into.

TexansLucky13
07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
RB: Michael Turner
K: David Akers
LB: Boss Bailey
CB: Charles Tillman

I am not saying the Texans should go after and sign everyone here, if we did, in a few years we'd be in Salary Cap hell. I am saying here are a few people worth looking into.

I think Kris finally got his confidence back at the end of last year. I don't think we need a new kicker. I like Michael Turner at RB though, would be fine by me if the price were right.

awtysst
07-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I think Kris finally got his confidence back at the end of last year. I don't think we need a new kicker. I like Michael Turner at RB though, would be fine by me if the price were right.

I think that Kris has been a very average kicker for us. Within 40yards he has been average but he is definitly not elite. Akers is an elite fg kicker. Games can be won/lost on long fg kcikers. I say go get an elite kicker if you can.

And yes, Id love Turner here as well. Id also love to see Boss standing next to Meco and behind Amobe , Mario and in front of Dunta.

Runner
07-05-2007, 12:27 AM
If he was instrumental in being AJs "mentor" .

Which should give pause when considering other people who are added as mentors/lockerroom guys.

jgl35
07-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Per Eagles web site, Talk about the Eagles section, 411, How long are players signed for, Akers becomes a rfa in 2010, along with McNabb and Westbrook.

awtysst
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Per Eagles web site, Talk about the Eagles section, 411, How long are players signed for, Akers becomes a rfa in 2010, along with McNabb and Westbrook.

So much for my website. I guess getting Akers was too good to be true.

Texans_Chick
07-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Moulds was a definite mistake by the new regime. Either they shouldn't have signed him for that money or they shouldn't have cut him. One of those moves was a mistake.

There's something really weird about that whole situation. The Texans tend to keep their grumblies about stuff pretty in-house.

Kubiak said that defenses started playing exotic coverages against AJ that he had never seen before. Part of that, I guess, might have been Moulds having troubles with enough giddyup to go downfield. But I'm guessing some of that was not having a decent running game and difficulty reading defenses and getting the ball to the guy open in coverage.

Moulds caught the ball with regularity early in the season, and FootballOutsiders said that they thought Moulds was done prior to last season but were impressed with what he was able to do. At the end of the season, the Texans weren't throwing the ball much at all and Moulds wasn't getting much thrown his way at all. He was pretty quiet about that.

I just never understood that cut at all.

real
07-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Moulds probably told them that he didn't want to play anymore...

Bull Pen 1
07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
There's something really weird about that whole situation. The Texans tend to keep their grumblies about stuff pretty in-house.

Kubiak said that defenses started playing exotic coverages against AJ that he had never seen before. Part of that, I guess, might have been Moulds having troubles with enough giddyup to go downfield. But I'm guessing some of that was not having a decent running game and difficulty reading defenses and getting the ball to the guy open in coverage.

Moulds caught the ball with regularity early in the season, and FootballOutsiders said that they thought Moulds was done prior to last season but were impressed with what he was able to do. At the end of the season, the Texans weren't throwing the ball much at all and Moulds wasn't getting much thrown his way at all. He was pretty quiet about that.

I just never understood that cut at all.

I'm sure a lot of it had to do with you know who, at the begginning of the year he did well passing the ball as the season went on his passing ability went downhill. It was only dink and dunk passes. It didn't take long for Moulds to relize he wasn't going to get the ball, because you know who wasn't capeable to get the ball downfield.

TexansLucky13
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Moulds probably told them that he didn't want to play anymore...

There must be more to it than that.

kravix
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
There may be 37M open next year but dont forget we have some big players that either have contracts that will be up or need renegotiation.

All have contracts through 08.

DRob --- Expect at least a 3M/yr bump
Spencer--- Expect a 2-3M/yr bump
Winston--- Expect a 2-4M/yr bump
Faggins--- Expext 1M/r bump
Daniels--- Expect 2-3M/yr bump
Lundy--- dunno

Will all be UFA's.

Adams, Charlie
Alexander, Roc
Anderson, Charlie
Bruener, Mark
Clark, Danny
Davis, Andre'
Dayne, Ron
Earl, Glenn
Hutchins, Von
Kalu, N.D. If he keeps going like he has expect a 2M/yr bump
Killings, Cedric
McCleon, Dexter
Orr, Shantee
Simmons, Jason
Stanley, Chad
Weary, Fred Expect a 1-2M/yr bump
Wynn, Dexter

Will be RFA's

Brown, C.C. I am thinking he gets a 1M/yr bump
Gado, Samkon
Hodgdon, Drew
Johnson, Thomas
Maddox, Anthony 500k-1M/yr bump
Mathis, Jerome

SO in 08 with 37M open you have alot of depth to resign at about 15-20M, which leaves 17-22M open to sign FA's and Draft picks. But you have to save some because the next year you have 18M worth of raises to pay out and not alot of players leaving.. Of course there are restructures and all the smoke and mirrors that goes along with contracts and stuff, but I dont see us a huge contender in next years FA market either.

Lucky
07-05-2007, 01:00 PM
There may be 37M open next year but dont forget we have some big players that either have contracts that will be up or need renegotiation.
I agree that not all of the $37 million will be available for free agency. But, I disagree with much of the estimates given. Way too high in many cases.

Whether the Texans will be major players in free agency will be determined by which players will be available. Without question, the Texans will have plenty of $$$ to spend in free agency, if they choose to do so.

Sideline
07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Why is it that, when a player retires we still have to pay him the salary he should have got had he kept playing? Surely you would think If a player signs a contract and then retires before fullfilling said contract he should relinquish the remaining years? How does the salary cap work for retirees?

Lucky
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Why is it that, when a player retires we still have to pay him the salary he should have got had he kept playing?
A retired player doesn't continue to get paid. He may still have some impact on the salary cap, if there is some of his signing bonus yet to be amortized.

Double Barrel
07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm sure a lot of it had to do with you know who, at the begginning of the year he did well passing the ball as the season went on his passing ability went downhill. It was only dink and dunk passes. It didn't take long for Moulds to relize he wasn't going to get the ball, because you know who wasn't capeable to get the ball downfield.

There has been speculation that Moulds publicly criticized said player on his radio show last December (I heard it live). He basically stated that WRs are open on most plays, but were not getting the ball thrown to them on a consistent basis. He didn't make a specific point with regards to blame, but the Texans FO has been known to frown upon openly aired grievances in the past.

I'd be interested in knowing what happened, too, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

HOU-TEX
07-05-2007, 05:10 PM
There has been speculation that Moulds publicly criticized said player on his radio show last December (I heard it live). He basically stated that WRs are open on most plays, but were not getting the ball thrown to them on a consistent basis. He didn't make a specific point with regards to blame, but the Texans FO has been known to frown upon openly aired grievances in the past.

I'd be interested in knowing what happened, too, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

I agree. Some people might question why Dunta wasn't treated the same. I think the difference between Moulds and Dunta was performance on the field. I think Moulds basically gave up while Dunta was still making an attempt to give 100%.

I like you, I don't mind whacking Moulds. The cap hit doesn't really diddle my dingy though. :)

Historyhorn
07-05-2007, 05:13 PM
There should be some creep in next year's salary cap, because of increases in revenue as well. That came to the aid of Washington last year as everyone saw no possible way they'd be under the cap and were looking at a cap Armageddon. They got saved by the new collective bargaining agreement and the increase in revenues.

I don't think we'll need as much money as was estimated above to re-sign and extend the folks we need, so the Texans should be fine with their cap number. We'll be able to compete for some big names. It won't be like the New York Yankees spending or even the 49ers this year, but we can be active.

Another thing we might have to look at is Matt Schaub. If he proves to be everything we'd hope, then he'll be looking for a new deal. I know we signed him for a couple of years, but I remember the deal being pretty club friendly. If that's the case and he's tearing it up, we'll need to pony up the cash to lock him in long term.

Go Texans

Texans_Chick
07-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Well yeah. Moulds made the same evaluation that the front office made about said player.

I'm guessing he didn't like the idea of a diminished roll in 2007.

real
07-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I thought Eric made the comments after he was cut...

Double Barrel
07-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I agree. Some people might question why Dunta wasn't treated the same. I think the difference between Moulds and Dunta was performance on the field. I think Moulds basically gave up while Dunta was still making an attempt to give 100%.

I think it helped that Dunta was a first round pick, our best CB, and made the comments after the season was already over.

From what I've heard, him and Carr are still friends, though. So maybe he was just openly talking about something he knew was in the works?

Well yeah. Moulds made the same evaluation that the front office made about said player.

I'm guessing he didn't like the idea of a diminished roll in 2007.

yeah, probably a little of both, IMO. With his production and skills dropping, along with his potential mouth, many teams are probably hesitant to pick him up right now.

I liked the guy, but I don't have any insight about what goes on behind the scenes.

I thought Eric made the comments after he was cut...

It was in December 2006, IIRC. It was his weekly radio show from some sports bar, but it was during the regular season.

Htownsportsfan
07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Its really nothing more than we were wrong about what Moulds had left in the tank! Other teams were right, he is to old to play at a high level for a full season. Moulds legs tired druing the season and you could see him failing to get seperation from db's. Even thought Carr was unable to get the ball to him anyway, you can see on film he was strugging to break away and if Carr had been an adequate Qb he would not have had a target in Moulds. Most of Moulds early catchs were short comeback routes early in the year before he broke down. The fact is we just misjudged the guy and on any other team that may not hurt but with the past regimes many misses this one by the new crew hurts.

HOU-TEX
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I think it helped that Dunta was a first round pick, our best CB, and made the comments after the season was already over.

From what I've heard, him and Carr are still friends, though. So maybe he was just openly talking about something he knew was in the works?

IIRC, he'd made some post game locker room comments. Something along the lines of "we all know what the problem is, we need to fix it". He never said any names, but it was apparent who he was referring to at the time.:shades:

Maddict5
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM
so wait we have $37m because the 'dead money' of walker, robaire etc will be over....

BUT

wont that space just be replaced with the dead money we'll be paying others?:

WWWNBN
DW/DD
Moulds
Weigert
Payne
Wong

could 1 of the resident capologists explain this to me

Specnatz
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
so wait we have $37m because the 'dead money' of walker, robaire etc will be over....

BUT

wont that space just be replaced with the dead money we'll be paying others?:

WWWNBN
DW/DD
Moulds
Weigert
Payne
Wong

could 1 of the resident capologists explain this to me

Not a capologist but because DW/DD Moulds and the others were released prior to the 2007 season the cap hit for signing bonus and other guaranteed money takes place this year if I am to understand it correctly.

So the franchise takes one huge hit this year (hence no FA money) and then will have money for the following year.

Maddict5
07-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Not a capologist but because DW/DD Moulds and the others were released prior to the 2007 season the cap hit for signing bonus and other guaranteed money takes place this year if I am to understand it correctly.

So the franchise takes one huge hit this year (hence no FA money) and then will have money for the following year.

i thought the signing bonuses/garuntees are amortized over the life of the contract and all the big contracts (DC,DD, moulds) has around 3 yrs to run so shouldn't we still have pretty high 'dead money' until then

rickyb
07-06-2007, 06:07 PM
i thought the signing bonuses/garuntees are amortized over the life of the contract and all the big contracts (DC,DD, moulds) has around 3 yrs to run so shouldn't we still have pretty high 'dead money' until then

My limited understanding:
Bonuses/guarantees are amortized over the life of the contract UNTIL such time as the team cuts or trades the player, at which time the remaining bonus/guarantee money is accelerated into one year.

All the best,
Rick

Maddict5
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
oh right yeah, that makes sense thanks.. when did we cut wade?- i thought hed be off the books by now