PDA

View Full Version : More than 25 percent of draft picks have signed so far

Kaiser Toro
07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2922370

snippet:
Despite the absence of signings in the first two rounds, NFL franchises are actually setting a relatively blistering pace this year in completing contract agreements with their draft picks.

With the calendar having now turned to July, a time when rookie negotiations typically heat up, more than 25 percent of the prospects selected in the draft have already reached terms on their rookie deals. Sixty-six of the 255 players selected in the April event have either signed their first NFL contracts or agreed to terms.

At 25.8 percent, the pace of signings is nearly triple what it was a year ago, when only 9.4 percent of the 2006 draft class, just 24 players, had reached agreements by the end of June. In the past four years, just 12.8 percent of the draft picks had signed contracts before the start of July, the traditional bargaining period.

"Some teams, like Chicago, are just really proactive in trying to get [contracts] done," said Rick Smith, the agent for tailback Garrett Wolfe, the Bears' third-round choice and the first draft pick in the league to reach a contract accord this year. "From the player's standpoint, if the numbers are right, why wait?"

One notable caveat: There isn't a player signed yet from the first or second rounds.

TexanSam
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Have the Texans signed any of the players they drafted?

HOU-TEX
07-02-2007, 04:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2922370

snippet:
Despite the absence of signings in the first two rounds, NFL franchises are actually setting a relatively blistering pace this year in completing contract agreements with their draft picks.

With the calendar having now turned to July, a time when rookie negotiations typically heat up, more than 25 percent of the prospects selected in the draft have already reached terms on their rookie deals. Sixty-six of the 255 players selected in the April event have either signed their first NFL contracts or agreed to terms.

At 25.8 percent, the pace of signings is nearly triple what it was a year ago, when only 9.4 percent of the 2006 draft class, just 24 players, had reached agreements by the end of June. In the past four years, just 12.8 percent of the draft picks had signed contracts before the start of July, the traditional bargaining period.

"Some teams, like Chicago, are just really proactive in trying to get [contracts] done," said Rick Smith, the agent for tailback Garrett Wolfe, the Bears' third-round choice and the first draft pick in the league to reach a contract accord this year. "From the player's standpoint, if the numbers are right, why wait?"

One notable caveat: There isn't a player signed yet from the first or second rounds.

I thought I'd heard that Olsen (Bears 1st) signed. Anywho, I trust our new "numbers guy" will get r done.:)

Porky
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I think some of the 2nd rounders will start to fall shortly, maybe right after the holiday here, and the first rounders should start to fall within the next 10 days or so.

I'm not worried at all about the Texans with the track record they have in this area. They will probably announce a whole slew at once about a week or so out from camp.