PDA

View Full Version : NFL considers possible Minor League system

Il_Bruno
07-01-2007, 09:05 PM
this is coming from PFT, so take it for what its worth.

MORE ON POSSIBLE NFL MINOR LEAGUE

In the wake of the recent scuttling of NFL Europa and our report that a growing number of NFL executives would like to see the establishment of a true minor-league system, we've tracked down an article first posted more than four years ago by former PFT contributor Ron Del Duca, an agent who has handled NFL, NHL, tennis, baseball, and NASCAR clients.

Del Duca lays out the framework for the system that would be used. It made plenty of sense to us in 2003, and it makes even more sense now.

The challenge, as we see it, will be for the NFL to avoid the perception that the creation of a minor league is a reaction to the recently-announced plans of the UFL, which will feature a team owned by Mark Cuban and plans to target cities that currently do not host NFL franchises.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

heres a better more thorough rundown of what the layout of the league would probably look like

http://www.profootballtalk.com/minorleague.htm

Koolaid Time
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
this is coming from PFT, so take it for what its worth.

MORE ON POSSIBLE NFL MINOR LEAGUE

In the wake of the recent scuttling of NFL Europa and our report that a growing number of NFL executives would like to see the establishment of a true minor-league system, we've tracked down an article first posted more than four years ago by former PFT contributor Ron Del Duca, an agent who has handled NFL, NHL, tennis, baseball, and NASCAR clients.

The NFL already has a "Minor League"....

It's called the NCAA......

Double Barrel
07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I think a true minor league is a great idea for the NFL. They should be affiliated with NFL teams, though, much in the same way that MLB does it. The appeal to smaller market teams is probably enormous, and the tie-in to NFL teams would help strengthen the fan base, IMO.

Old School
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I can't see how a "true" minor league system could work in the NFL and I never did consider the European league a minor league system. The idea of each team having a farm system is crazy, its not like baseball where a player can be developed for 2 or 3 years and then brought up. Or in the Astros case, 6 or 8 years :whip:

The average career expectancy of a pro football player is only what? 4 or 5years? I know there are some players that have longer careers but those are found early in college and drafted. I think it would be too costly to create a system that will develope a player that would only have a few more years left in the tank. :twocents:

Il_Bruno
07-02-2007, 11:25 AM
there have definetly been concerns about that as well, but many people fall out of football all together because theres simply not enough roster spaces to go around. I player that would normally be an undrafted FA could sign onto a minor league team and within a few years, maybe be a contributor on a real NFL team.

Basically, im saying if you make it so theres more chances to succeed with a career playing football, you wont see as many people leave the game after 4-5 years.

Overalls
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Nfl teams already carry a practise squad. In a minor league system they would be getting game time. We hear all the time about such and such player was bagging groceries before some team called them. Rick Smith pulled in several street FA last year that played well for us. Not to mention guys in Arena ball now or in the CFL. I am not saying that the NFL would end up pulling a bunch of these guys to the big leagues, but there are those players that might just need a shot.

real
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I can't see how a "true" minor league system could work in the NFL and I never did consider the European league a minor league system. The idea of each team having a farm system is crazy, its not like baseball where a player can be developed for 2 or 3 years and then brought up. Or in the Astros case, 6 or 8 years :whip:

The average career expectancy of a pro football player is only what? 4 or 5years? I know there are some players that have longer careers but those are found early in college and drafted. I think it would be too costly to create a system that will develope a player that would only have a few more years left in the tank. :twocents:

Why do you assume that the time length players spend in the minors in baseball would directly correlate to the time spent developing in football ? They're different sports, so obviously the average time length a player would spend in the developmental type leauge would just be shorter for football, like say 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4...It would just be a shorter time period...

Double Barrel
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Most ball players in the minor leagues never get a whiff of the majors. The guys that develop and get a chance to play big time are considered elite talent among baseball's minor league systems. But the overwhelming majority of players in the minors will never have the talent to make it on an MLB team.

I see an NFL minor league as something that expands the sport to smaller markets, while giving many players another chance to develop and maybe get their shot down the road.

Speedy
07-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't think there's any way you could do it like MLB. Especially having full minor league rosters for all 32 teams. I don't know how much jack the NFLE players got, but that's a lot of money to have to pay another 50 or so players, even if it is a minor league pay scale.

Plus the talent pool is pretty thin already.

I think a system like NFLE would work. 8-10 teams or so. You send your top prospects, practice squad players, whatever, pretty much the same way they do NFLE, and put those teams in cities like Louisville, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Monterrey, Mexico, hell, maybe Los Angeles could finally get a football team. Basically keep NFLE the same but bring it back here.

You play it in the spring through the summer. You give fans football that they're dieing for during the off-season and you get fans in cities that don't have the NFL interested in the NFL.

I think that would work better and be more successful than a true minor league system.

Second Honeymoon
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
there are only 3 ways this system could work.

1. Each NFL team would have a minor league franchise in a 2nd tier market. You would expand the NCAA draft up to 12 Rounds in order to properly balance the current UFA talent and not let the rich teams outbid the poor teams in order to stock their minor league teams. This system is probably the easiest to begin but it costs the owners the most money.

2. There would be a NFL-sanctioned minor league system with new owners and no ties between minor and NFL league teams. The teams would be assembled from the players that didnt get drafted or make the team via a UFA contract. Each year there would be a minor league draft maybe 2-4 rounds. The minor league teams would be financially compensated based on when their player is chosen. It would be a fixed rate based purely on where they were picked. This would make it in the best interests of the minor league teams to develop their talent without worrying about depleting their team.

This would be a system similar to how things work in soccer in England. The lower division teams sell their promising players to the top leagues and are able to improve facilities, sign more prospects, and increase their notoriety. Sometimes aging players would drop down into the Minor League and get an opportunity to show they still have game. This system would probably take the most work but would probably be the best long term.

3. The league would be completely NFL owned and at the end of each season there would be a small draft that would be available to each team. This system is probably the weakest because there would be no individual incentive to win for each team other than to make their fans and players happy. The MLS tried this method and it pretty much failed...it wasnt until the MLS promoted individual ownership that the league has began to flourish in certain areas. I think the NFL has a lot more going for it than the MLS (to say the least) so I do think this could work but I think its the least intriguing.

I am for anything that promotes real football. I don't want arena football and I don't want any stupid new rules. Keep it real and the people will come. Be careful about your stadium choices because its pretty hot in the spring/summer in the south.

Porky
07-02-2007, 03:22 PM
I think this is a great idea. It sounds like most of you didn't check out the link.

Long and short of it -

there would be 8 teams total. They would be in non nfl cities.

Each nfl team would allocate 15 players, 4 nfl teams per Minor team. Ten of those players would be cut, making a final roster of 50.

It would be a 12 game season, starting in roughly week 3 or 4 of the NFL season. Play would be on Sat night and/or Wed night.

The NFL team can recall any of their players throughout the season, up to 5. After 5, the players would be subject to waivers, and another team could claim them.

That's sort of the Cliff notes version...:devilpig:

texasguy346
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I like the idea of an NFL minor league system. As others have said it would expand the pool of talent available to NFL teams. It would also make it much easier to follow your teams prospects.

real
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
I think this is a great idea. It sounds like most of you didn't check out the link.

Long and short of it -

there would be 8 teams total. They would be in non nfl cities.

Each nfl team would allocate 15 players, 4 nfl teams per Minor team. Ten of those players would be cut, making a final roster of 50.

It would be a 12 game season, starting in roughly week 3 or 4 of the NFL season. Play would be on Sat night and/or Wed night.

The NFL team can recall any of their players throughout the season, up to 5. After 5, the players would be subject to waivers, and another team could claim them.

That's sort of the Cliff notes version...:devilpig:

That sounds great...

But I just have one concern....

How are they going to handle the practice squad ?

Porky
07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
That sounds great...

But I just have one concern....

How are they going to handle the practice squad ?

Easy. There is no practice squad. The guys normally on the practice squad would be playing minor league ball, and up to 5 can be pulled to the major league roster during the season without being subject to waivers.

cuppacoffee
07-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Easy. There is no practice squad. The guys normally on the practice squad would be playing minor league ball, and up to 5 can be pulled to the major league roster during the season without being subject to waivers.

I would love to watch a Texan farm team play games in Montana ect. in the summer months.

Question?

Are the minor league teams going to be running the same O and D plays and schemes as the big boys.

It generally takes a few weeks in OTAs and training camp to get new players up to speed.

IIRC currently the practice squad players practice with the team and are up to speed on the teams playbook.

:coffee:

Porky
07-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I would love to watch a Texan farm team play games in Montana ect. in the summer months.

Question?

Are the minor league teams going to be running the same O and D plays and schemes as the big boys.

It generally takes a few weeks in OTAs and training camp to get new players up to speed.

IIRC currently the practice squad players practice with the team and are up to speed on the teams playbook.

:coffee:

I would expect a pro-style offense, but like an NFL team, I am sure it will be geared both toward the personell and whata type of system the coaches want to run as well.

Overalls
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I posted this thought about the idea of a NFL minor league on a Titans board.

The article states that the league would have 8 teams with 4 current NFL teams providing players for each team. Now if that is broken down simply, there are 4 teams in each current NFL division. What would happen if the AFC South teams provided players to the same team. Thus an all AFC South team causing Jags fans to root for Titans allocated players. Or it could be broke down geographicaly without using current AFC/NFC boundries. Could a Texan fan have to root for players from the Cowboys if it is the Cowboys 4th string QB throwing passes to the Texans former practise squad WR.

This could make strange bedfellows amoung current NFL fans. The NFL tries to build rivalries between mutiple teams. How about a team with Steelers and Cowboys on it. I would think it would cause an iteresting dynamic among fans. Some team in the new MINOR league would more than likely contain teams that some fans would think contains players from a rival NFL team.

Things that make you hmmmmmm.

Koolaid Time
07-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I see an NFL minor league as something that expands the sport to smaller markets, while giving many players another chance to develop and maybe get their shot down the road.

One thing that needs to change is the "Gimme" attitude of the NFL.. These smaller markets hosting these teams can't afford the PSL's, the Rent-a- Car Taxes- the hotel taxes, the tax breaks, etc that the NFL seems to expect.

Unless the NFL is going to fund the infrastructure for this minor league 100%stick with the NCAA as the "minor league" for the NFL.

Another factor to consider is the NFLPA. They are going to demand that the minor league players get all the collective bargining benefits. If the owners balk, expect problems, strikes, etc.

rmartin65
07-06-2007, 08:26 PM
It cant work. It just does not make sense. The possibilty for injury is so high, I dont see why anyone would do it.

Overalls
07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
It's not like the games will be played in a NFL sized stadium. There are places like San Antonio, with the Alamodome, that can house a team. A lot of owners could build a pretty nice place that holds a good amount of fans without trying to spend 100 mil. Not to mention college stadiums that are palaces. Heck a smart group of owner could pony up the funds to refit some colleges stadiums and be concidered doing some town a very large favor.

As far as injuries to players they risk that in practise. You don't think some kid on the Copperheads wouldn't jump at the chance to get in the door on some minor league NFL roster. We aren't talking about AJ on a team we are talking about practise squad players and UDFAs.