PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports article on Jacoby Jones

drewmar74
06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Nothing really surprising. Gives some insight, though, on where JJ is from an acclimation standpoint. Lots of potential. Ways to go yet, though.

"Just looking at him, he has a lot of talent," [Andre'] Johnson said. "He definitely wants to get out there and play, but right now he is just going through a learning process where he's trying to learn everything."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=InsideSlant

Il_Bruno
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
i guess he's getting a little attention. I like the pick a lot but it seems more like a couple year project guy then someone who can step in right away.

Texan_Bill
06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I like everything that I have heard about him.. Not to sure I like what I have heard from him.... Sounds a little too Chad Johnson for me. But then again, who cares - if he can perform??

real
06-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Chad Johnson is the man.

nunusguy
06-25-2007, 10:30 AM
"The largest crowd Jones ever played in front of during college was 7,000 and that was Tuskegee's homecoming game. Lane College's home stadium held just 1,300 fans.

"I can't wait to see that," Jones said. "My flesh will probably be crawling. I can't wait to see that to see what that's like.

"(At Lane) the most we ever get in our stadium was a handful. We played at a high school stadium. Everybody knows everybody's first and last name. If you're cool, you know their middle name."

Can you imagine what this kids BP reading would be in the season-opener in
Reliant against the Chiefs if he gets in the game ? Talk about pumped !

HuttoKarl
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
"The largest crowd Jones ever played in front of during college was 7,000 and that was Tuskegee's homecoming game. Lane College's home stadium held just 1,300 fans.

"I can't wait to see that," Jones said. "My flesh will probably be crawling. I can't wait to see that to see what that's like.

"(At Lane) the most we ever get in our stadium was a handful. We played at a high school stadium. Everybody knows everybody's first and last name. If you're cool, you know their middle name."

Can you imagine what this kids BP reading would be in the season-opener in
Reliant against the Chiefs if he gets in the game ? Talk about pumped !

He'll be even more pumped when he catches his first TD in week one vs. the Chefs and the Texans win the game.

It's gonna happen.

Texan_Bill
06-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Chad Johnson is the man.

He is one of the few that run their mouth - AND BACKS IT UP!! Therefore, I give Chad way more lee-way than a lot of others.

Hervoyel
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
He is one of the few that run their mouth - AND BACKS IT UP!! Therefore, I give Chad way more lee-way than a lot of others.

I don't and I'll even agree with you that he "backs it up".

If you run your mouth then you're not my kind of player whether you score three touchdowns or eleven. It makes no difference to me. That you are an asset to the team doesn't change the fact that you're an ass in general.

Now would I want Chad Johnson on my team opposite AJ? Of course I would but here's the catch. Chad Johnson is an egotistical jackass and attention whore BUT he hasn't proven to be a divisive element on his team YET. To date his antics aren't the distraction that TO's are and he doesn't create the negative "vibe" that TO does.

That's why I'd take Chad Johnson (gritting my teeth and avoiding any contact with him all the way) and tell TO "Thanks but no thanks".

I can respect what Chad can do on the field and dislike his persona off of it. To me it lacks dignity and it demonstrates a need for attention that I don't think should be rewarded. Given a choice between a player like him with the antics and one without I take the guy who conducts himself with more dignity and less of a "Look at me!" attitude every single time.

Texan_Bill
06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't and I'll even agree with you that he "backs it up".

If you run your mouth then you're not my kind of player whether you score three touchdowns or eleven. It makes no difference to me. That you are an asset to the team doesn't change the fact that you're an ass in general.

Now would I want Chad Johnson on my team opposite AJ? Of course I would but here's the catch. Chad Johnson is an egotistical jackass and attention whore BUT he hasn't proven to be a divisive element on his team YET. To date his antics aren't the distraction that TO's are and he doesn't create the negative "vibe" that TO does.

That's why I'd take Chad Johnson (gritting my teeth and avoiding any contact with him all the way) and tell TO "Thanks but no thanks".

I can respect what Chad can do on the field and dislike his persona off of it. To me it lacks dignity and it demonstrates a need for attention that I don't think should be rewarded. Given a choice between a player like him with the antics and one without I take the guy who conducts himself with more dignity and less of a "Look at me!" attitude every single time.

Notice though, I said more "lee-way" - not a free pass. I am a bigger fan of the Earl Campbells of the world that didnt say much and when they score a touchdown, they pitch to the ref - as tough they had been there before...

Kaiser Toro
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
CJ is one of the most productive WR's in the game and its most vocal, staged stunt man, yet percieved as harmless against the team's recent history. However, it would have been interesting to see if his antics would have been dealt with if not for the back drop of the off-field problems plaguing the Bengals since December 2005.

real
06-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't think Chad Johnson is egotistical nor a jackass...

I think all football players are a little cocky...Chad just brings entertainment to the game....He's just being himself...outspoken and funny...

I'm glad a majority of football watchers don't feel the way some of you guys do....

Lucky
06-25-2007, 01:52 PM
I like everything that I have heard about him.. Not to sure I like what I have heard from him.... Sounds a little too Chad Johnson for me.
How so? Jones may be loquacious, but he hasn't acted the fool as Johnson has.

I'm glad a majority of football watchers don't feel the way some of you guys do....
How do you presume the sensibilities of most football fans? Did you conduct a poll?

real
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
How do you presume the sensibilities of most football fans? Did you conduct a poll?

Nope...

I go by the advertisements....

If you aren't liked by a majority of the general population, i.e your face doesn't sell; they aren't going to waste investment dollars using you in marketing...

Kaiser Toro
06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Nope...

If you aren't liked by a majority of the general population, i.e your face doesn't sell; they aren't going to waste investment dollars using you in marketing...

The point the other side is making is that when entertainment is valued more than what propagates one's entertainment value (the NFL) a team will have locker room issues. My point is that fortunately for CJ his fellow Bengals have provided him cover - right, wrong or indifferent.

Lucky
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm not sure if most football fans take their cue from Madison Avenue. But the player of choice in endorsements is clearly Peyton Manning. And on the field, Peyton is 100% fluff-free.

What does Chad hawk, anyway?

real
06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
My point is that fortunately for CJ his fellow Bengals have provided him cover - right, wrong or indifferent.

What if his teammates genuinely think he's a good guy ? What if they just don't mind his antics because they know he brings it on Sundays ?

I've met a couple people who are like Chad--the serious, funny type--who are just good natured people who like to have fun...sports is competitive and the nature of the game is designed to make your opponents look bad. I seriously doubt anyone takes Chad Johnsons antics to heart though.

I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Kaiser Toro
06-25-2007, 02:33 PM
What if his teammates genuinely think he's a good guy ? What if they just don't mind his antics because they know he brings it on Sundays ?

I've met a couple people who are like Chad--the serious, funny type--who are just good natured people who like to have fun...sports is competitive and the nature of the game is designed to make your opponents look bad. I seriously doubt anyone takes Chad Johnsons antics to heart though.

I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Anyone that has played competitive sports knows these guys exist and there fun to be around and most often they garner results. The issue is when they command a high percentage of a team's cap and do not get results in the post season from a tangible or intangible stand point.

Locker room management in my opinion is the most important skill for a professional coach to learn and Marvin Lewis has his hands full due to his star and the current situation.

real
06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure if most football fans take their cue from Madison Avenue. But the player of choice in endorsements is clearly Peyton Manning. And on the field, Peyton is 100% fluff-free.

What does Chad hawk, anyway?

Not sure what Peyton has to do with anything...I didn't know this was supposed to be a popularity contest...

But Chad Johnson has been all over NFL network commercials, and also for fat head...he's done other commercials as well that I just can't think of at the moment.

Pretty good article about chad and his personality:

"The outside world doesn't know Chad. The outside world only sees a cocky, arrogant, trash-talking receiver that's very, very good.
"But I want people to understand the hard work I put in each week; the hours of watching film; the hours of going over the game plan and sitting in on meetings with coaches. No other player sits up there and goes over the game plan with their coaches on their off days. I wish people would understand I'm not just talk.
"My foundation is right. The thing that's made me successful is all the hard work."
He hasn't been fined for a celebration since pulling a sign from a snow bank during a 2003 game that read, "Dear NFL, please don't fine me again! Merry Christmas."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bengals/2005-10-19-johnson-feature_x.htm

real
06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Anyone that has played competitive sports knows these guys exist and there fun to be around and most often they garner results. The issue is when they command a high percentage of a team's cap and do not get results in the post season from a tangible or intangible stand point.

Locker room management in my opinion is the most important skill for a professional coach to learn and Marvin Lewis has his hands full due to his star and the current situation.

If anything, guys in that locker room need to be more like Chad. Marvin has his hands full alright, but it's not because of Chad Johnson.

GuerillaBlack
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM

I think all football players are a little cocky...Chad just brings entertainment to the game....He's just being himself...outspoken and funny...

I agree. I can't believe people are dogging on him here. Chad is the man...

drewmar74
06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Odd.

A hijacked thread but David Carr hasn't been mentioned once....

Can't recall ever seeing that.

HOU-TEX
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM

I don't see it as dogging him. It's just an opinionated subject. I don't have a problem with what CJ does. In fact, some of his antics are somewhat humerous (proposing to the cheerleader was a good one). Having said that, I would have to believe the majority of the NFL's fanbase would rather have the Andre Johnsons rather than the Chad Johnsons. To each their own, I reckon.:cowboy1:

Texan_Bill
06-25-2007, 03:25 PM
If anything, guys in that locker room need to be more like Chad. Marvin has his hands full alright, but it's not because of Chad Johnson.

You're right... Chad may be brash and all of that stuff, but certainly he's not one of the guys I would be worried about with off-field troubles. At least Marvin can go to bed at night - not worried about Chad making the police blotter.

Where ya at....85?

Il_Bruno
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
whats so bad about Chad Johnson? Of course he's cocky, and he has that ********* receiver additude that all the great ones have (about wanting the ball and such), but its not like his showboating is malicious or meant to mock his competition.

People like Chad Johnson know when to play and know when its time to work, and i think his goofiness is an added plus. I dont understand where people get the impression he's a locker room cancer. He hasnt been on the Cincinatti police blotter, while just about every other bengal has. :whip:

Texan_Bill
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Odd.

A hijacked thread but David Carr hasn't been mentioned once....

Can't recall ever seeing that.

Crap... there goes the no-hitter.

Texans Horror
06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
It's stuff like this that makes me appreciate Andre Johnson.

Lucky
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I dont understand where people get the impression he's a locker room cancer.
Probably stems from when Johnson threw a punch at an assistant coach. During halftime of a playoff game against the Steelers. Because Johnson hadn't seen enough passes. While the Bengals had the lead (despite losing Carson Palmer).

Kaiser Toro
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Probably stems from when Johnson threw a punch at an assistant coach. During halftime of a playoff game against the Steelers. Because Johnson hadn't seen enough passes. While the Bengals had the lead (despite losing Carson Palmer).

Beat me to the punch.:wild:

Double Barrel
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM

wow...I forgot about that incident. I think it's only a matter of time before his ego takes over control from his brain, and the inevitable self-implosion occurs. The mouth is always tolerated as long as the talent is high. But the mouth will be around a lot longer than the talent... :listening

76Texan
06-25-2007, 06:16 PM
The NFL also has an entertainment value off the field.
See how Dunta work over time during off-season to keep the fans interested?

Texans_Chick
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
If Jacoby Jones was a quieter guy, he might not have been noticed at all. He might not have got a Senior Bowl invite.

I hope Jones learns fast--route running should be a premium with this offense.

All being told, I am very interested to hear what extra body the Texans get before camp. As uncomfortable as folks might be with the battle for the #2 position, just think of what would happen if AJ got hurt like he did in 2005. (sorry for bringing it up :eek:)

Specnatz
06-25-2007, 06:25 PM
If Jacoby Jones was a quieter guy, he might not have been noticed at all. He might not have got a Senior Bowl invite.

I hope Jones learns fast--route running should be a premium with this offense.

All being told, I am very interested to hear what extra body the Texans get before camp. As uncomfortable as folks might be with the battle for the #2 position, just think of what would happen if AJ got hurt like he did in 2005. (sorry for bringing it up :eek:)

My question to that is who is out there?

Runner
06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
As uncomfortable as folks might be with the battle for the #2 position, just think of what would happen if AJ got hurt like he did in 2005.

We'd end up with a pretty good draft position, so we'd have that going for us. Maybe we could pick up a good defensive tackle, or even an end.

rickyb
06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Maybe we could pick up a good defensive tackle, or even an end.

Now THAT'S comedy!

Lucky
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Jacoby didn't go to Mobile. He played in the Shrine Bowl, under the watchful eyes of the Texans staff here in Houston.

Il_Bruno
06-25-2007, 06:40 PM

That happened once, and like i said he has that innate ********* receiver instinct, the want to have the ball in his hands every single play. Even Marvin Harrison is like that, quite possibly the least flamboyant receiver out there. If you want to excel as a receiver you REALLY have to want the ball.

have you ever erupted in your entire life? maybe he shouldve been seeing passes, they did lose that game afterall.

true, its not ok to throw punches at coaches, but thats more from frustration then it is from a true, TO-like locker room bomb thats ticking away....hopefully in dallas pretty soon :cool:

Lucky
06-25-2007, 06:54 PM
have you ever erupted in your entire life? maybe he shouldve been seeing passes, they did lose that game afterall.
Let's look at the timeline, again.

Bengals lead the Steelers, 17-14, at halftime.
Chad freaks out in the locker room, throwing a punch at WR coach Hue Jackson and screaming at head coach Marvin Lewis.
Steelers outscore Bengals 17-zip in 2nd half, Bengals lose 31-17.

And somehow this makes Chad Johnson a team player? That's gonna require a higher quality of spin.

The Pencil Neck
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Let's look at the timeline, again.

Bengals lead the Steelers, 17-14, at halftime.
Chad freaks out in the locker room, throwing a punch at WR coach Hue Jackson and screaming at head coach Marvin Lewis.
Steelers outscore Bengals 17-zip in 2nd half, Bengals lose 31-17.

And somehow this makes Chad Johnson a team player? That's gonna require a higher quality of spin.

It would have been even worse without the punching and screaming?

76Texan
06-25-2007, 07:21 PM
He seems like a saint on the Bengals team?!?

Specnatz
06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
He seems like a saint on the Bengals team?!?

Jack the ripper might be considered a saint on the bengals team.

real
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
I hate guys who talk trash, it does nothing for entertainment value and always leads to self implosion...

Signed,

Muhammad Ali

GuerillaBlack
06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
^^ Beautiful.

TexansSeminole
06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I hate guys who talk trash, it does nothing for entertainment value and always leads to self implosion...

Signed,

Muhammad Ali

Yea but he was The Greatest.

Kaiser Toro
06-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Signed,

Muhammad Ali

This string of logic is comparable to Americans thinking Iraq was behind 9/11.

Honoring Earl 34
06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Yea but he was The Greatest.

I would love to see Ali vs Tyson . Ali would have him so mad before the fight that Tyson would be dead tired by the 4th round .

alphajoker
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
i guess he's getting a little attention. I like the pick a lot but it seems more like a couple year project guy then someone who can step in right away.

Ok, let's see if we can continue to keep this on subject...most drafted rookie WR's are projects. It usually takes a minimum of three years for WR's to make that jump to becoming an impact. However, players such as Anquan Boldin, who in his rookie year broke many records, are the exception. But I think Jones can step in right away on special teams and as a #3 or #4 WR when the Texans spread the field.

TexansSeminole
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
As uncomfortable as folks might be with the battle for the #2 position, just think of what would happen if AJ got hurt like he did in 2005. (sorry for bringing it up :eek:)

I think it always should be brought up. I am not one to believe in a jinx; I just think you've got to be ready for everything.

I know if AJ was to get hurt or perhaps miss some playing time, Jacoby will see the field earlier and more often than expected and we would have to ask a rookie to step up and produce. The whole receiving corps will have to step up to fill that hole.

I like Terry Richardson (ASU) to make this team as a kick returner and fight for the #4 or #5 WR spot. With more work at the receiver position I feel like he could be a worth while contributer in the passing game while being a returner. A couple hundred receiving yards for this guy isn't out of the question at all. He is elusive and can get YAC.

If what we hear about Matt Schaub is right his ability to spread the ball around should help bring these receivers along experience wise. I always thought that was why Patriots receivers shined.

TexansLucky13
06-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Hahaha. Funniest thing I have read all day.

Ocho Cinco is the definition of ego.

Texans_Chick
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Jacoby didn't go to Mobile. He played in the Shrine Bowl, under the watchful eyes of the Texans staff here in Houston.

Duh, I knew that. Braingoo.

He gets the invite, and shows his confidence.

Texans_Chick
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I think it always should be brought up. I am not one to believe in a jinx; I just think you've got to be ready for everything.

I know if AJ was to get hurt or perhaps miss some playing time, Jacoby will see the field earlier and more often than expected and we would have to ask a rookie to step up and produce. The whole receiving corps will have to step up to fill that hole.

I like Terry Richardson (ASU) to make this team as a kick returner and fight for the #4 or #5 WR spot. With more work at the receiver position I feel like he could be a worth while contributer in the passing game while being a returner. A couple hundred receiving yards for this guy isn't out of the question at all. He is elusive and can get YAC.

If what we hear about Matt Schaub is right his ability to spread the ball around should help bring these receivers along experience wise. I always thought that was why Patriots receivers shined.

Makes me nervous.

Check out this fabu article on inexperienced skill positions on offense. Definitely worth a read:

"Link: Inexperience at the skill positions" (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/wordpress/?p=309)

The general rule is that the teams greenest at the skill positions generally are non-good. Non-surprise.

Hervoyel
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
I would love to see Ali vs Tyson . Ali would have him so mad before the fight that Tyson would be dead tired by the 4th round .

If he got Mike that mad then Ali would be missing an ear lobe or two. He might not even have his original nose. Mike would have eaten him alive.... literally.

Of course back then Mike would have never fought again after doing that. Boxing wasn't the joke it is today.

Hervoyel
06-25-2007, 10:49 PM

I don't want anybody to think I'm dogging him in here. In the event that I'm included with those you think are dogging him let me say right away that I'm not. I said that he's not my kind of player and that's really the biggest point in my position. I don't get excited watching guys who grandstand or who gravitate towards the camera. I don't personally feel like it adds anything to my "NFL experience". He's a great WR and he deserves all the postive attention he gets. I just don't warm up much to guys who spend a lot of time doing things to attract attention.

I'm old school and I like my football players old school. I like guys who practice all preseason, play hurt (above their usual level no less), suffer in silence, and who go to work every day like they're mining coal, running an oil rig, or smelting steel. I like lunchbox guys (damned few left) and think that the "Clown Princes" of the NFL are lesser men because of their antics.

That's just me. I understand that Chad Johnson has a lot of fans and that he entertains a lot of people. I imagine that most of them are a lot younger than I and that most of them see the game a little differently than I do. Truth be told I see less and less of the game I love in the one they're playing today every year but it's still close enough to keep me interested. I figure in the next 10-15 years it'll either right itself or become some kind of WWE-NFL hybrid (like the XFL with a bunch of ticky-tack NFL rules) and I'll give it up for good.

Guys who whore attention are (at least to me) the "Reality TV shows" of the new NFL. They're brash, loud, grate on my nerves and they make me suspect that I'm getting less for my entertainment dollar than I used to.

But Chad Johnson does produce. No question about it.

Silver Oak
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm old school and I like my football players old school. I like guys who practice all preseason, play hurt (above their usual level no less), suffer in silence, and who go to work every day like they're mining coal, running an oil rig, or smelting steel. I like lunchbox guys (damned few left) and think that the "Clown Princes" of the NFL are lesser men because of their antics.

very well said and I echo your thoughts.

maddogmrb
06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Ok, let's see if we can continue to keep this on subject...most drafted rookie WR's are projects. It usually takes a minimum of three years for WR's to make that jump to becoming an impact. However, players such as Anquan Boldin, who in his rookie year broke many records, are the exception. But I think Jones can step in right away on special teams and as a #3 or #4 WR when the Texans spread the field.

Which is exactly why he should NOT have been our 3rd round pick. There were other players available who probably would have made an immediate impact on this team.

Kaiser Toro
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Which is exactly why he should NOT have been our 3rd round pick. There were other players available who probably would have made an immediate impact on this team.

Probably is the operable word and applies to Jones as well. The third round regardless of position will not bear out until after the year has been played. WR was a need for this team in the draft and we filled it. Whether or not we get ROI immediately or in the following years is another story.

Double Barrel
06-26-2007, 11:41 AM

Signed,

Muhammad Ali

With all due respect to The Greatest, Ali never had to catch a pass down the middle. :D

I'm right there with you, Herv, and probably more so the older I get.

BUT....I'd be lying if I said that I didn't like Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson as a kid. I remember a lot of the older generation used to really get up in arms about his celebrations, but I thought they were cool back then. And even the logic that "football is just entertainment" came to my mind at the time, so I can certainly understand the younger generation's perspective today. (Although I don't recall Whiteshoes running his mouth much, because smack talk would've been dealt with pretty severely on the field.)