PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Demeco!

Wolf
06-23-2007, 03:55 PM
HUNTSVILLE | Actually, surprisingly, it was “so much easier" for DeMeco Ryans.

“My natural ability and instincts kicked in," he said, and the transition from college football to pro ball was seamless.

The evidence: Ryans, a former All-America linebacker at the University of Alabama now playing for the Houston Texans, led the NFL in solo tackles and was named the league’s Defensive Rookie of the Year.

For his accomplishments, Ryans has been named the state’s Professional Athlete of the Year by the Alabama Sports Writers Association. He’ll be honored at the group’s annual banquet Sunday night in Huntsville.

Ryans, a 22-year-old native of Bessemer, becomes the first athlete in the 28-year history of the award to win the amateur honors one year and the pro athlete honors the next.

Others who have won both awards are multi-sport star Bo Jackson, Atlanta Braves pitcher Tim Hudson, golfer Jerry Pate, NFL Hall of Famer Ozzie Newsome and longtime NFL star Cornelius Bennett.

“It’s a huge accomplishment to be called the best athlete in the state of Alabama," Ryans said. “When I got the news, I was pretty excited."

The ASWA award joins a shelf-full of prizes for Ryans, who was the 2005 Lott Award winner, for his athletic and academic achievements at Alabama, and was the 2006 Cotton Bowl MVP. READ MORE

www.demecoryans.net

Texansfan36
06-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Congratulations Demeco!

Silver Oak
06-24-2007, 09:04 AM
:woot2: