PDA

View Full Version : Faggins on the radio this AM

markn
06-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I caught a bit of an interview with Demarcus on 790 on the way in to work this morning. Davies asked him if he was concerned that the Texans hadn't strengthened their secondary this off-season. Faggins said he wasn't worried and that they were going to switch someone from corner to the FS spot. I had to take a call at that point and missed the rest of the interview. Did he expand on that at all? Who are they thinking of converting to FS?

Maddict5
06-22-2007, 11:03 AM
i didnt hear it but im guessing von hutchins

real
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
McCleon has also been made a FS.

real
06-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Glad you started this thread, because I was too lazy to do so. I heard the interview as well, and I found some things he said interesting.

He said that they moved a couple CB's to FS because they "wanted better coverage from the position."

That statement tells me two things:

1) the team recognizes that C.C isn't great at coverage
2) C.C may not be the starter at FS next year

Double Barrel
06-22-2007, 11:23 AM
I always get a little worried when moving a CB to safety. A lot of CB's can't/won't tackle or lack the intensity of hitting a RB head on. Obviously, coverage appears to be the important factor in this decision.

dalemurphy
06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I always get a little worried when moving a CB to safety. A lot of CB's can't/won't tackle or lack the intensity of hitting a RB head on. Obviously, coverage appears to be the important factor in this decision.

I'm sure different packages will have different personnel. For instance, I'd expect to see C.C. Brown at FS on 3rd and 1 but 3rd and 12 will more likely have a converted CB. I'm comfortable with that- after all, I don't think this staff will make a move like that, without first assessing whether the tradeoff is a net gain... No more Victor Riley moves around here guys!

Porky
06-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Glad you started this thread, because I was too lazy to do so. I heard the interview as well, and I found some things he said interesting.

He said that they moved a couple CB's to FS because they "wanted better coverage from the position."

That statement tells me two things:

1) the team recognizes that C.C isn't great at coverage
2) C.C may not be the starter at FS next year

Agreed. I think they FINALLY address FS in some substantial way this offseason, whether via FA or the draft. I just think it hasn't been a high priority. It's like when you have a flood running through your house, the last thing you are probably thinking about is straightening the pictures on the wall.

real
06-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Well if McCleon is back there I'm not really worried about the tackling. I don't know if you noticed last year, but McCleon absolutely lays the wood.

nunusguy
06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
No more Victor Riley moves around here guys!
Ahh, Victory Riley ! Remember him well. The Capers-Pendry solution for LT.
I gotta say we've traveled light years coming from Capers-Pendry to where we are now at Kubiak-Sherman.

dalemurphy
06-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Ahh, Victory Riley ! Remember him well. The Capers-Pendry solution for LT.
I gotta say we've traveled light years coming from Capers-Pendry to where we are now at Kubiak-Sherman.

The thing that got me about the Riley fiasco isn't that he made the team or we were stuck with no better option, etc... It's that the coaching staff determined that the Oline needed upgrading and he was the solution. Furthermore, he was outright given the job without expanation or competition... It absolutely defies logic and was the coffin in that regime- for which I guess I'm grateful to Victor for.

Runner
06-22-2007, 05:09 PM
The thing that got me about the Riley fiasco isn't that he made the team or we were stuck with no better option, etc... It's that the coaching staff determined that the Oline needed upgrading and he was the solution. Furthermore, he was outright given the job without expanation or competition... It absolutely defies logic and was the coffin in that regime- for which I guess I'm grateful to Victor for.

It was even worse than that though. Once they moved him from tackle and they had an opening at guard due to injury, they put him there instead of Weary. He was playing in front of better players most of the year, until they had to cut him to avoid a big bonus for number of games played.

It defies logic. He was signed to that contract because he wasn't expected to play much, than Pendry put him in as much as possible despite his woeful performance.

Talk about making coaching decisions based on coaches/front office politics. What a way to set a team back a couple of years. Don't develop young lineman with potential, play vets with no present performance and no future.

Silver Oak
06-22-2007, 05:25 PM
I don't know how much it matters before TC and all, but here is the current depth chart from the Texans website.

LCB Dunta Robinson Von Hutchins Chris McKenzie Jason Horton
RCB Demarcus Faggins Jamar Fletcher Dexter McCleon Fred Bennett
SS Glenn Earl Roc Alexander Brandon Harrison
FS C.C. Brown Jason Simmons John Walker Curry Burns

aj.
06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't know how much it matters before TC and all, but here is the current depth chart from the Texans website.

LCB Dunta Robinson Von Hutchins Chris McKenzie Jason Horton
RCB Demarcus Faggins Jamar Fletcher Dexter McCleon Fred Bennett
SS Glenn Earl Roc Alexander Brandon Harrison
FS C.C. Brown Jason Simmons John Walker Curry Burns

Remove McKenzie and Burns from that list.

Add Dexter Wynn, Brandon Mitchell, and Derrick Roberson to that list.

The1ApplePie
06-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Did Faggins get burned by Lee Evan while he was talking?

quicksilver
06-23-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm not so sure I judge Faggins based on last season. He was never healthy, despite returning to the field later on. I am looking forward to seeing how he'll do when he is healthy.

Il_Bruno
06-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Faggins doesnt have elite speed either, so he had no business covering lee evans one on one. Also the safety help over the top was non-existant, but thats another rant :bat:

I like Faggins, its not like he's an elite corner by any means but i think he could be adequate given good safety help.

TEXANS84
06-23-2007, 10:40 AM

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/2005/images/PICTURE_week09.jpg

You are so wrong...signed,

Marcus Coleman