06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
How will Schaub and the O-Line do?

imatexan
06-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Less than VY interceptions.

Double Barrel
06-21-2007, 04:31 PM
They won't be setting any new sack records, if that's what you're asking. :shades:

Specnatz
06-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Better question which will be lower vy passing % or Texans sack total.

SheTitan
06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I may be a Titans fan, but I was just curious to see how much better you guys think this stat will be. It wasn't meant to be smack

A link to last year's stats http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/QB-PASSING/2006/regular?&_1:col_1=13&start_row=1

swtbound07
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I may be a Titans fan, but I was just curious to see how much better you guys think this stat will be. It wasn't meant to be smack

It's okay buddy...i wouldn't be sure either. It's a hard thing to have to decide....do you really want to go to a stadium that has "make it rain" promotions?

HJam72
06-21-2007, 04:42 PM
I can't even remember what's average anymore.

Honoring Earl 34
06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I said the OL got 25% better the day they cut Carr .

Maddict5
06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
wow some optimism (im being nice) so far.. i voted 30-40 because i dont think our line is that great... a pro is that schaub will make them better because he gets rid of the ball quickly, a con will be that we'll actually operate a proper nfl passing game this yr with 5 step drops etc so i expect the number to be similiar to last year

Lucky
06-21-2007, 05:29 PM
For reference from '06 season:

The average sacks allowed per team = 36, the median = 34.5
Highest number of sacks allowed - Raiders (72), lowest - Colts (15)
Texans sacks allowed = 43 (9th highest total)
Average passing attempts per sack = 14.2
Texans passing attempts per sack = 11.2
Matt Schaub career passing attempts per sack = 13.4

Specnatz
06-21-2007, 06:19 PM

A link to last year's stats http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/QB-PASSING/2006/regular?&_1:col_1=13&start_row=1

All good, I just get used to sticking my nose in the smack talking forum and see a titans fans and intially want to be a smartass.

I said to someone that the Texans that I know of 12 sacks caused by the qb position alone last year, and that is without reviewing any tape. So I say that plus a few more less sacks would be about right.

:texflag:

The1ApplePie
06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I'd figure it would be about equal with last year. The O-Line is still in flux, and Schaub ain't as mobile as Carr, even if he can actually find the number 2 WR.

the wonger need food
06-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Schaub ain't as mobile as Carr

How do ya figure??? Carr had zero pocket presence which caused a lot of his sacks. He probably has better straight line speed and is slightly more agile in the open field, but in the pocket he might as well be a statue. Between the tackles it would be hard to find a QB less mobile than Carr.

A great example of a slow mobile would be Dan Marino. He was a slow runner but very illusive in the pocket. We saw another example of this with Sage in the Tennessee game last year. No way Sage beats Carr in a foot race, but I would consider him a much more mobile QB based on his pocket and field presense.

Runner
06-21-2007, 06:54 PM
For reference from '06 season:

The average sacks allowed per team = 36, the median = 34.5
Highest number of sacks allowed - Raiders (72), lowest - Colts (15)
Texans sacks allowed = 43 (9th highest total)
Average passing attempts per sack = 14.2
Texans passing attempts per sack = 11.2
Matt Schaub career passing attempts per sack = 13.4

OK. Now I need to see the average yards (or steps) in the QBs drop per sack. ICAK?

infantrycak
06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
OK. Now I need to see the average yards (or steps) in the QBs drop per sack. ICAK?

That one is too esoteric for me, plus the only data source I know is rewatching last year's games and I ain't watching HWWNBN except on a sideline at this point.

The Pencil Neck
06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
There are a lot of very optimistic voters out there.

I'm expecting us to be about average: 33-36.

Lucky
06-22-2007, 09:04 AM
OK. Now I need to see the average yards (or steps) in the QBs drop per sack.
Well, I can tell you that the Texans lost an average of -5.9 yards/sack. Which is a similar ratio to other teams that deploy a lot of 3-step drops, such as the Jets and the Broncos. The Texans still run the WCO, so I don't think 3-step drop routes are going away.

What I would like to see is the Texans passing more out of the shotgun on passing downs. Kubiak had his reasons last year for not going with the shotgun (other than screens and draws), but I think Schaub deserves the chance to try it. The shotgun really helps guys like Manning & Brady get a little more time to look downfield and make a play.

Overalls
06-22-2007, 11:55 AM
What I would like to see is the Texans passing more out of the shotgun on passing downs. Kubiak had his reasons last year for not going with the shotgun (other than screens and draws), but I think Schaub deserves the chance to try it. The shotgun really helps guys like Manning & Brady get a little more time to look downfield and make a play.

I may just be a fat guy in the Bull Pen, but I have never understood why we didn't use the shotgun more. It seems to me that if you are getting too much of a pass rush you would want your QB to be a little further from the line.

Thorn
06-22-2007, 12:14 PM
With an improved running game, the sack total should go down some. But the Texans will still be close to the bottom of the league in sacks allowed.

rollinstone18
06-22-2007, 12:25 PM

Specnatz
06-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I may just be a fat guy in the Bull Pen, but I have never understood why we didn't use the shotgun more. It seems to me that if you are getting too much of a pass rush you would want your QB to be a little further from the line.

Because a certain player was not comfortable in it. According to Kubiack he will try and put it in some now. If my memory serves me correctly.

badboy
06-22-2007, 12:51 PM
I may just be a fat guy in the Bull Pen, but I have never understood why we didn't use the shotgun more. It seems to me that if you are getting too much of a pass rush you would want your QB to be a little further from the line.The shotgun formation would have allowed the defense to build up more speed before whacking Carr last season. Schaub will do the shimmy and the D players will slide by him like green jello on a hot side walk.

HuttoKarl
06-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I went with 21-30 because some of those 15 sacks david carr brought on himself won't be an issue this season.

ChildressTitanMan
06-22-2007, 01:08 PM
The shotgun formation would have allowed the defense to build up more speed before whacking Carr last season. Schaub will do the shimmy and the D players will slide by him like green jello on a hot side walk.

Green Jello would stick to a hot sidewalk like glue but hey it's your prophecy not mine

the wonger need food
06-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Carr did not have the mental ability to look for the ball and then look at the field. He couldn't process information fast enough. By taking the snap from center he didn't have to move his eyes away from his primary target. To compound the problem he had trouble catching the ball when it was snapped in a shotgun formation.

Specnatz
06-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Carr did not have the mental ability to look for the ball and then look at the field. He couldn't process information fast enough. By taking the snap from center he didn't have to move his eyes away from his primary target. To compound the problem he had trouble catching the ball when it was snapped in a shotgun formation.

He was wanting to lick his hands to much and stick them under center.

:gun:

badboy
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Green Jello would stick to a hot sidewalk like glue but hey it's your prophecy not mineSee you figured it out. That was my sarcasm. I think Mr. Matt may need to buy a few tubes of liniment. Getting hit 30-45 times is going to hurt no matter whose fault it is.

The Pencil Neck
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM

This is something that's kinda confusing to me.

The word on the board is that Carr had problems with the Shotgun. Taking the ball from center and going through his footwork supposedly helped him in making his reads or something. Kubiak said something about him doing things to fast, iirc. I think that he might have had too much time sitting back there and he was looking at the rush instead of his receivers. I don't know. I just know that you could count on us running a QB keeper when we were in the Shotgun last year.

BUT... and this is the part that confuses me... wasn't Carr able to run plays from the Shotgun in 2004 just fine? What happened? Am I misremembering?

The Pencil Neck
06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
See you figured it out. That was my sarcasm. I think Mr. Matt may need to buy a few tubes of liniment. Getting hit 30-45 times is going to hurt no matter whose fault it is.

You realize that getting sacked 30-40 times isn't exactly unusual. Right? Someone like a Marino or a Manning who gets sacked less than 20 times is really unusual.

ChildressTitanMan
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
You realize that getting sacked 30-40 times isn't exactly unusual. Right? Someone like a Marino or a Manning who gets sacked less than 20 times is really unusual.

or maybe it's not playing behind a sieve & having plenty of options for the opposing D to cope with.

Look on the bright side. Maybe you can win something this year after all.:doot:

http://www.st-johns.org.uk/news/jnrsports/sack60.jpg

The Pencil Neck
06-22-2007, 01:44 PM
or maybe it's not playing behind a sieve & having plenty of options for the opposing D to cope with.

Let's see, Titan's sacks allowed last 3 years?

2006: 29
2005: 31
2004: 44

Have the Titans ever allowed less than 20 sacks?

ChildressTitanMan
06-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Winning tends to diminish the relevance of sacks.:stirpot:

Blazing Arrow
06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
You notice though that we hover around the league average. I would rather be average then bottom 10, but that is just me...

Specnatz
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
You notice though that we hover around the league average. I would rather be average then bottom 10, but that is just me...

Does this include passing %

powerfuldragon
06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
green jello is delicious.

ChildressTitanMan
06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Does this include passing %

Are we talking daft picks now?

powerfuldragon
06-22-2007, 02:09 PM
daft picks what the texans organization does best.

real
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Did I miss something ?

Have you guys just been killing in the draft or something ?

Mr teX
06-22-2007, 02:58 PM
i put 30-40, but i kind of want to change to the 1 just above that; b/c i feel the ball will come out quicker & i think i running game is going to be a tremendous improvement for us this year to where we won't need to pass as much.

The Pencil Neck
06-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Winning tends to diminish the relevance of sacks.:stirpot:

Nice backpedal.

Jessica Biel is pretty hot but that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that less than 20 sacks per year is unusual either.

maddogmrb
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM

http://www.st-johns.org.uk/news/jnrsports/sack60.jpg

This is a perfect pic of our oline in pass protection!

The Pencil Neck
06-22-2007, 03:31 PM

Wow. That's very insightful.

Now, could you tell me what that has to do with the fact that less than 20 sacks in a season is unusual?

Porky
06-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I voted 31-40. I don't think we will be a real low sack team, but I think the days of 50+ are behind us. If I had to pick a number out of a hat, I will say 33.:devilpig:

eriadoc
06-22-2007, 03:38 PM
This is something that's kinda confusing to me.

The word on the board is that Carr had problems with the Shotgun. Taking the ball from center and going through his footwork supposedly helped him in making his reads or something. Kubiak said something about him doing things to fast, iirc. I think that he might have had too much time sitting back there and he was looking at the rush instead of his receivers. I don't know. I just know that you could count on us running a QB keeper when we were in the Shotgun last year.

BUT... and this is the part that confuses me... wasn't Carr able to run plays from the Shotgun in 2004 just fine? What happened? Am I misremembering?

Yeah, it's kind of a self-perpetuating myth on this board. Kubiak flat-out implicated the center last year in the abandonment of the shotgun, in one of his quotes, saying that Hodgdon was working on it. Furthermore, Carr ran the shotgun just fine his first four years, and called it himself several times in the two separate halves when he was allowed to call plays. I detailed all this in posts last year, but the post history only goes back so far. Game logs from previous years will give you some of it, and TC mentioned it in her blog (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/12/i_feel_bad_for_the_texans_mark_1.html). The direct quote (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3090&print=yes) from Kubiak is -

(on using the shotgun) “We’ll see. We’ll work on it a little bit. It kind of all depends on how we come out of practice. But in all honesty, it’s something that we haven’t done much of because it’s something that we’re trying to get (C) Drew (Hodgdon) used to. (C Mike) Flanagan did it well, and if you don’t have confidence to do it, you just get back up under center and do the same things. Really, it just kind of all depends on how Drew handles it, but it is something that we work on all the time.”

There were plenty of things wrong with Carr without having to make things up. I realize blaming him for everything makes the upcoming season seem so much rosier, but there are problems all around that the team is overcoming - not just Carr.

On Topic - I voted 40-50, as I don't see much improvement, really. Carr actually escaped some sacks that people choose to forget, and he ran into just as many. I don't think Schaub will do either. I think that Schaub will make better decisions when he is in the pocket and get a lot more out of the non-sack plays than DC did.

Specnatz
06-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I do not think anyone was making things up, I thought I read somewhere that not only Kubiack had said it is something he is not comfortable with last year. I am not sure of the date on the quote.

I would have also swore I heard capers say they same thing, not like he would know anything abot running a good offense.

eriadoc
06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I do not think anyone was making things up.....

I do not share the same optimism about a few of our fellow posters ;)

Specnatz
06-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I do not share the same optimism about a few of our fellow posters ;)

Yeah good point.

:texflag:

the wonger need food
06-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it's kind of a self-perpetuating myth on this board. Kubiak flat-out implicated the center last year in the abandonment of the shotgun, in one of his quotes, saying that Hodgdon was working on it. Furthermore, Carr ran the shotgun just fine his first four years, and called it himself several times in the two separate halves when he was allowed to call plays. I detailed all this in posts last year, but the post history only goes back so far. Game logs from previous years will give you some of it, and TC mentioned it in

"(C Mike) Flanagan did it well, and if you donít have confidence to do it, you just get back up under center and do the same things."

MEGA SWATT
06-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Less than VY interceptions.

wow:shades: :texflag: