PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done

Texanmike02
06-20-2007, 02:05 AM
The Babin deal. The Pburnt deal. Carr. Everyone has gone back years after the fact and picked our worst moves apart. This is your chance to second guess THIS years draft. Lets limit the discussion to this years draft please. No trade talk. Just what we actually had available. Here are our picks for those not paying attention. And I'll start with the different selections I wanted to make. Make your picks here where you can actually come back a year later and say "We should have done this - I said so a year ago"

1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE

Overall I like our draft. Not sure about adding an ILB. But it is the 2nd round. I wanted to address WR2 as bad as anybody but I don't think we did. If there is one glaring hole that would be it. I consider rounds 4-7 a crap shoot really. The most notable selection I would have done different is our 3rd round pick. We didn't need another WR3/WR4 on the roster. I would have liked one of three guys.

Michael Bush. I know we had Green by then. But let the two rotate. Bush has shown "IT" at the college level and was a preseason 1st round pick. He broke his leg (not a chronic injury) and missed the entire 2006 season. Green only has a few years left (even with the recent success of Dillon, Martin and Barber 30 year old backs just don't do well). I don't have much faith in Jones. We've already got a fast as lightning kick returner on our team. I see no reason to add another one.

The other guy I would have liked to have seen was Hunt. Speed became a question but he was a first or second round talent going into the combine. He doesn't juke much (sounds perfect for our system) and he may not be a home run threat, his 4.55 40 wasn't great but its more than passable.

Aaron Rouse. He was a disappointment in the 2006 season. But can we please get someone in either safety spot that the other team at least thinks about? I know we needed a WR... but Jones certainly isn't WR2. Aaron Rouse at least would qualify as a guy you could use as a SS2 and there were going to be more WRs in FA than there were safeties. There are questions about his attitude, which worries me... but maybe being picked in the 3rd round (instead of the 1st like many were talking preseason) will humble him a little.

Oh well... anybody else have any picks they would have like to done differently?

I should probably pick one guy... and if I had to it would be tough. I guess since we have Green on the roster it would have to be Rouse... but I'm not as high on him as I am Bush or Hunt. If you tortured me though I would go in this order.

Rouse
Bush
Hunt

Mike

HJam72
06-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Maybe I would've been wrong, but I would've taken Darryl Revis, CB (I think that was his name) in the first round. I believe Nelson (FS) was gone? There was also that possible trade with Denver that I would've definitely taken, if possible. After that, all I can say is that I would've been leaning heavily toward getting a FS on the first day. I've forgotten most of what I knew (or thought I did) on draft day.

PS-I thought that Revis would be the perfect CB teammate for D-Rob, because Revis is taller and not much less skilled at all. In fact, Revis will probably be better than D-Rob in 3 or four years.

real
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Reggie Nelson was still on the board..

I wouldn't have taken him nor Revis over Okoye at 10 though...

The1ApplePie
06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
With the Schaub trade, I would have gone Leon Hall in the 1st or Revis, depending on who fits the system better. We need another CB a lot more than we need another expensive D-Lineman.

Without Schaub trade:

1. Quinn
2. Dwayne Jarrett
3. Brandon Mebane/Markus Thomas

The Pencil Neck
06-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Personally, my move would have been to trade back with the Broncos to pick up a second and hopefully one other pick.

Then I would have taken Staley in the first and Kalil in the second.

That might not have been the sexiest thing to do and it wouldn't have set us up to win this season, but if Staley pans out (and he looks like a Kubiak kind of lineman) then this would have set us on the line.

The1ApplePie
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
A trade down for a 1. Staley and 2. Jarrett would have been cool.

real
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Other than taking Carr, I really don't have anything to gripe about. I'll chalk up all the other moves to 'things just not working out'...

swtbound07
06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
would have taken josh gattis in the 4th, cb in the 5th. gattis is a damn player. okoye and jacoby im cool with, im actually not gonna throw stones at the rest.

Specnatz
06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
The only thing I would have done differently, is look at CD or Safeties who have had some experience in the return game so Jacoby could concentrate on the wr position and put some heat on Mathis.

Hagar
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
The only thing I would have done differently this off-season was the Schaub trade and the signing of Green.

We already had an unproven QB in Rosenfels so giving up two No. 2 picks for another unproven QB (Schaub) and signing him to a huge contract seems a little foolish. I would have preferred Sage get shot at the job and saved the picks. This also leads back to the decision to give "he who shall not be named" the starting job out right at the beginning of last year instead of making it a competition. In a strait up competition last year, I think Rosenfels would have won the job. Truth be told though, this isn't that big of deal though. I think Schaub is going to be a very good QB for us, and if he isn't, we still have Rosenfels as a back up.

As far as Green is concerned, 30-year-old running backs are at the bottom of the hill headed downward. No reason to give him a multi-year contract when Dayne looked pretty darn good last year. This move really doesn't hurt us that much, other then salary cap space.

TexanSam
06-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I would have taken Okoye at 10. Instead of taking Jacoby Jones in the 3rd though I probably would have drafted Jason Hill (I think that's his name), the WR from Washington State. Besides that though I can't really complain about the rest of the draft.

Silver Oak
06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
can we revive this thread after TC? I want to see how they work out there and if they make the cut, then I'll have perfect 20/20 hindsight! :shades:

as an aside, I think we get a blue chip CB or Safety next draft and if Babin doesn't work out for us, can we please trade him for a 2nd rounder?

rollinstone18
06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Instead of signing Babin, I would have signed a playmaking FS by the name of Bob Sanders.

Runner
06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I refuse to state what I would have done in the draft until I've had at least half of a season of play to evaluate so I can decide what my decisons should have, I mean would have, been.

Spike
06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
I would have used the third pick to try to get someone who could step in and reasonably compete for a starting spot at either CB or FS. Instead, we got a WR who may not even be able to step in and make a material contribution this season.

Although I like the upside potential of JJ, my next choice for this pick would have been a WR with Div. 1 experience. It is my understanding that there were several good WRs that got drafted immediately after we made this pick.

I like the Amobi pick...we have a lot of holes and you have to take the best player on the board. It would have been nice to get help on the o-line or the secondary, but not if it means not getting quality at 10.

Texanmike02
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
The only thing I would have done differently this off-season was the Schaub trade and the signing of Green.

We already had an unproven QB in Rosenfels so giving up two No. 2 picks for another unproven QB (Schaub) and signing him to a huge contract seems a little foolish. I would have preferred Sage get shot at the job and saved the picks. This also leads back to the decision to give "he who shall not be named" the starting job out right at the beginning of last year instead of making it a competition. In a strait up competition last year, I think Rosenfels would have won the job. Truth be told though, this isn't that big of deal though. I think Schaub is going to be a very good QB for us, and if he isn't, we still have Rosenfels as a back up.

As far as Green is concerned, 30-year-old running backs are at the bottom of the hill headed downward. No reason to give him a multi-year contract when Dayne looked pretty darn good last year. This move really doesn't hurt us that much, other then salary cap space.

With Sage I feel that you do have a proven QB. He is a proven backup... but he has also proven he is not a starter. Before the board merger I disected his performance in the Tenn game and found that alot of his throws weren't "on target" but rather nice catches. I also found that he rarely put recievers in a position to move after the catch. Wasn't it Jay Fiedler he wasn't able to beat out for a starting job?

With Schaub you have a guy who hasn't gotten a chance because of a huge contract in front of him.

Mike

The1ApplePie
06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Instead of signing Babin, I would have signed a playmaking FS by the name of Bob Sanders.

Almost as good as Jabar Gaffney over that jobber Clinton Portis

Texanmike02
06-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Almost as good as Jabar Gaffney over that jobber Clinton Portis

Nice to see some of your guys around. I kind of miss our spars by the way apple

The1ApplePie
06-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Nice to see some of your guys around. I kind of miss our spars by the way apple

Missed you too man. Glad to see you back. Looking forward to your game recaps

BattleRedToro
06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I was suprised by the pick of Brandon Harrison when Josh Gattis was still available. I really thought they were going to take Gattis.

BattleRedToro
06-20-2007, 07:07 PM
would have taken josh gattis in the 4th, cb in the 5th. gattis is a damn player. okoye and jacoby im cool with, im actually not gonna throw stones at the rest.

There was no need to take Gattis in the 4th he was still available in the 5th when the Texans drafted Harrison.

BattleRedToro
06-20-2007, 07:17 PM
I wanted the Texans to take a Center like Ryan Kalil or Samson Satele, but I knew that wouldn't happen after they made the Schaub trade. I hope Schaub is as good as they think, because they gave up an awful lot to get him in my opinion. 2 Second round picks could really help this team out. I agree with Hagar. If they were determined to replace Carr, then I would have been fine with them letting Ronsefels start. Then they could have picked up a solid player with that pick this year and the next.

2BCF
06-20-2007, 07:40 PM

Oh no! Do we have the bandwidth with this new board???

j/k!

Guess who I was.

Texanmike02
06-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh no! Do we have the bandwidth with this new board???

j/k!

Guess who I was.

I give up

Texanmike02
06-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Glad to be back. I was here for a while just reading (would you believe i was lurking without thinking I had something worth posting? lol)

I'm looking for the email from Hook'em that warns me about a word limit any day now.

Mike

2BCF
06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Glad to be back. I was here for a while just reading (would you believe i was lurking without thinking I had something worth posting? lol)

I'm looking for the email from Hook'em that warns me about a word limit any day now.

Mike

lol

Glad to see you here, despite the threat to bandwidth usage!

Second Honeymoon
06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
I was suprised by the pick of Brandon Harrison when Josh Gattis was still available. I really thought they were going to take Gattis.

agreed. harrison better be something special because Gattis seemed a good fit. i would have drafted the Center from West Virginia Moses instead of the ILB as well....but I have heard good things about that ILB (cant figure name and am lazy at the moment)

awtysst
06-20-2007, 11:55 PM
agreed. harrison better be something special because Gattis seemed a good fit. i would have drafted the Center from West Virginia Moses instead of the ILB as well....but I have heard good things about that ILB (cant figure name and am lazy at the moment)

Dan Mozes, the center you are referring to, went undrafted. He was signed by Minne as an undrafted FA

Texanmike02
06-20-2007, 11:57 PM
lol

Glad to see you here, despite the threat to bandwidth usage!

Sup Marco,

Hehe... Yeah the worst thing about the move though... I lost all of my old posts. They may have been wordy but man there were some great stats breakdowns that I'd love to be able to quote. I guess Hook'em got tired of being my personal stats repository hehe... I guess I may even need to donate... I gotta do that before they start nailing me for Sunday Ticket again lol... Man I can't wait... Preseason is almost here

Goldensilence
06-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Dan Mozes, the center you are referring to, went undrafted. He was signed by Minne as an undrafted FA

I thought Moses would've been a logical fit here. Might've even pushed Hodg for backup. Honestly down the road i wouldn't be suprised if Spencer doesn't make it back or up to potential again....Frye might be a steal in that spot.

Personally i think I would've taken Hill over Jones. PAC-10 is a pass happy conference and i would've prefered the DIV I experience. Jones is raw so i guess we'll see.

I didn't get to see Harrison play but prolly would've gone Josh Gattis, he seems like a gamer.

2BCF
06-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Sup Marco,

Hehe... Yeah the worst thing about the move though... I lost all of my old posts. They may have been wordy but man there were some great stats breakdowns that I'd love to be able to quote. I guess Hook'em got tired of being my personal stats repository hehe... I guess I may even need to donate... I gotta do that before they start nailing me for Sunday Ticket again lol... Man I can't wait... Preseason is almost here

Wow, that was a lot to lose.
I checked google for cached files from the old site for you but there was nothing.
Also looking forward to this season. Gotta change my name before then too.

TexansSeminole
06-21-2007, 12:32 AM
I would have taken Okoye at 10. Instead of taking Jacoby Jones in the 3rd though I probably would have drafted Jason Hill (I think that's his name), the WR from Washington State. Besides that though I can't really complain about the rest of the draft.

I agree 100% with you. This was my thinking on draft day...but I really can't complain with the Jacoby Jones pick because I don't know the guy. I mean how many people here can tell me they have seen Jacoby play more than one game? Or how many of you can tell me you have seen him play one game? Jason Hill was a good prospect and would have been a good 3rd round choice in my opinion but who is to say that Jacoby isn't a good 3rd round choice also (or even a better prospect than Hill)?

What is interesting about that selection is that after we picked Jacoby Jones, 6 out of the next 7 selections were wide receivers. I think that Jacoby would have been selected by one of these teams had we not selected him. Obviously, the Texans were partial to him so they made a good decision on when to select him. People were saying on draft day that it may have been a reach in the first half of the 3rd round but hey, 6 out of the next 7 selections were WRs. IMO it was either grab him then or don't get him. And that goes for most of the remaining decent receivers as well because the decent remaining players of the group were getting snatched up in that first half of the 3rd round. If we were going to get a decent WR after we took Okoye it was going to be at that spot...let's just hope we took the right one.

Texanmike02
06-21-2007, 01:34 AM
I agree 100% with you. This was my thinking on draft day...but I really can't complain with the Jacoby Jones pick because I don't know the guy. I mean how many people here can tell me they have seen Jacoby play more than one game? Or how many of you can tell me you have seen him play one game? Jason Hill was a good prospect and would have been a good 3rd round choice in my opinion but who is to say that Jacoby isn't a good 3rd round choice also (or even a better prospect than Hill)?

What is interesting about that selection is that after we picked Jacoby Jones, 6 out of the next 7 selections were wide receivers. I think that Jacoby would have been selected by one of these teams had we not selected him. Obviously, the Texans were partial to him so they made a good decision on when to select him. People were saying on draft day that it may have been a reach in the first half of the 3rd round but hey, 6 out of the next 7 selections were WRs. IMO it was either grab him then or don't get him. And that goes for most of the remaining decent receivers as well because the decent remaining players of the group were getting snatched up in that first half of the 3rd round. If we were going to get a decent WR after we took Okoye it was going to be at that spot...let's just hope we took the right one.

That could be true. I won't argue that... I just don't think he steps in and is a WR2 this year. Even Kubes is talking about Walters as the 2. I do think that we could have gotten a safety at that spot. Or a running back who could be the future rb of the team..

Mike

Maddict5
06-21-2007, 06:15 AM
That could be true. I won't argue that... I just don't think he steps in and is a WR2 this year. Even Kubes is talking about Walters as the 2. I do think that we could have gotten a safety at that spot. Or a running back who could be the future rb of the team..

Mike

so you dont like that we picked a guy that could be our future at wr because we could've gotten a guy that could be our future at rb?:bat:

anyway im not going to say anything about our draft picks or what we should've done until i see them play some

Texanmike02
06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
so you dont like that we picked a guy that could be our future at wr because we could've gotten a guy that could be our future at rb?:bat:

anyway im not going to say anything about our draft picks or what we should've done until i see them play some

I have questions about our guy of the future. As I see it we already have a burner that we spent a 4th rounder on. I think that any of the 3 I mentioned in my original post could end up being the future at a 1 deep position. If we don't fix the S spot we are definitely in trouble and we had a chance to get a guy who at least physically is capable of footing the bill... I wasn't huge on the Green signing because of his age but once we signed him I thought that Michael Bush would be a great gamble because you could bring in Green, let him get the majority of the carries and bring Bush along slowly.

Texans_Chick
06-22-2007, 07:24 AM
I would have reviewed a lot of film, talked to the guys I was interested in, maybe see them workout, and I still wouldn't be qualified to make these decisions.

Oh wait, that's not the answer you want. You want me to opine about something I have don't have enough legit information to say something intelligent about. :cool:

Okay, I would have sprinkled magic pixie fairy dust to make the 2007 draft one deeper for wide receivers, corner backs, linebackers and offensive linemen.

swtbound07
06-22-2007, 07:56 AM
There was no need to take Gattis in the 4th he was still available in the 5th when the Texans drafted Harrison.

i thought he went before our 5th...too lazy to look it up. my point is, i wanted the kid.

real
06-22-2007, 08:25 AM

Zach Diles

I wanted Mozes as well...Either him or Doug Datish from Ohio State...

preferably Mozes though...

dalemurphy
06-22-2007, 08:56 AM
I would have reviewed a lot of film, talked to the guys I was interested in, maybe see them workout, and I still wouldn't be qualified to make these decisions.

Oh wait, that's not the answer you want. You want me to opine about something I have don't have enough legit information to say something intelligent about. :cool:

Okay, I would have sprinkled magic pixie fairy dust to make the 2007 draft one deeper for wide receivers, corner backs, linebackers and offensive linemen.

Yea, or better yet, I'll answer this question in three years while I criticize the organization for not acquiring the BPA in each round of the draft!

For instance in 2002, I would've taken JPeppers #1 and then traded down in the second, acquired extra picks and drafted Clinton Portis just ahead of the Denver Broncos. Yep, that's what I would've done!

Texanmike02
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
can we revive this thread after TC? I want to see how they work out there and if they make the cut, then I'll have perfect 20/20 hindsight! :shades:

as an aside, I think we get a blue chip CB or Safety next draft and if Babin doesn't work out for us, can we please trade him for a 2nd rounder?

how about we revive it now?

Insideop
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE Starter
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE Punt Returner/WR
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA Starter
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD Possible Future Starter
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH ? Not Looking Good
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS Possible Starter
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE Possible Starter

Wow! If you look at that Draft now there is a chance to have 4 starters and a good 3rd/4th WR and PR from that list. And, if Harrison shows himself to be any good during TC, we could have another backup with future starting potential. Only Frye has been a disappointment, and ironically, he was the one I thought could be the steal of the Draft. I remember Kubes even saying he had all the tools and all he needed was the repetitions. Kind of hard to get the reps when you're injured all the time.

Anyway, I don't think you can ask much more from your draft class then that. I'd be curious to know if any of the other teams got at least 4 starters out of that class. Kudos to Smith and Kubes on that draft class, and may they have many more together here with the Texans! JMHO!

b0ng
06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow! If you look at that Draft now there is a chance to have 4 starters and a good 3rd/4th WR and PR from that list. And, if Harrison shows himself to be any good during TC, we could have another backup with future starting potential. Only Frye has been a disappointment, and ironically, he was the one I thought could be the steal of the Draft. I remember Kubes even saying he had all the tools and all he needed was the repetitions. Kind of hard to get the reps when you're injured all the time.

Anyway, I don't think you can ask much more from your draft class then that. I'd be curious to know if any of the other teams got at least 4 starters out of that class. Kudos to Smith and Kubes on that draft class, and may they have many more together here with the Texans! JMHO!

The only gripe I have is I think Brandon Harrison is not looking like he's a starter yet. He missed all of last year, and until I see him at least take a few snaps in the regular season, he's purely depth, or P/S material.

But yeah, if Zac Diles does become the starter, and Kasey Studdard becomes a good rotational guy then last years draft is almost on par with 2006.

threetoedpete
06-20-2008, 11:54 AM
The Babin deal. The Pburnt deal. Carr. Everyone has gone back years after the fact and picked our worst moves apart. This is your chance to second guess THIS years draft. Lets limit the discussion to this years draft please. No trade talk. Just what we actually had available. Here are our picks for those not paying attention. And I'll start with the different selections I wanted to make. Make your picks here where you can actually come back a year later and say "We should have done this - I said so a year ago"

1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE

Overall I like our draft. Not sure about adding an ILB. But it is the 2nd round. I wanted to address WR2 as bad as anybody but I don't think we did. If there is one glaring hole that would be it. I consider rounds 4-7 a crap shoot really. The most notable selection I would have done different is our 3rd round pick. We didn't need another WR3/WR4 on the roster. I would have liked one of three guys.

Michael Bush. I know we had Green by then. But let the two rotate. Bush has shown "IT" at the college level and was a preseason 1st round pick. He broke his leg (not a chronic injury) and missed the entire 2006 season. Green only has a few years left (even with the recent success of Dillon, Martin and Barber 30 year old backs just don't do well). I don't have much faith in Jones. We've already got a fast as lightning kick returner on our team. I see no reason to add another one.

Oh well... anybody else have any picks they would have like to done differently?

I should probably pick one guy... and if I had to it would be tough. I guess since we have Green on the roster it would have to be Rouse... but I'm not as high on him as I am Bush or Hunt. If you tortured me though I would go in this order.

Rouse
Bush
Hunt

Mike

http://www.drafthistory.com/

3 1 65 Quentin Moses Raiders DE Georgia
2 66 Usama Young Saints DB Kent State
3 67 James Marten Cowboys T Boston College
4 68 Quincy Black Buccaneers LB New Mexico
5 69 Buster Davis Cardinals LB Florida State
6 70 Ryan Harris Broncos T Notre Dame
7 71 Lorenzo Booker Dolphins RB Florida State
8 72 Marcus McCauley Vikings DB Fresno State
9 73 Jacoby Jones Texans WR Lane
10 74 Yamon Figurs Ravens WR Kansas State
11 75 Laurent Robinson Falcons WR Illinois State
12 76 Jason Hill 49ers WR Washington State

13 77 Matt Spaeth Steelers TE Minnesota
14 78 James Jones Packers WR San Jose State

15 79 Mike Walker Jaguars WR Central Florida
17 80 Paul Williams Titans WR Fresno State

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=682792&postcount=8

Shown above, J.J. started the run on second tiered WRs. There IS no promise that J.J. would have been there and probably wouldn't have in the fourth if you would of gone Bush/J.J. . Gotta figure J.J. was their target in the third. "Explosive play maker". He was all of that the first part of the season. Bush went in the top of the fourth, #100 to the Raiders. So unless you're suggesting they move down in the third and picked a guy with no prospect of helping ...at all, in '07, this is just a time killa before camp starts. You never pass on an Elite first step DT.