PDA

View Full Version : Article on Fox Sports

drewmar74
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Some reading for everyone.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67071&type=InsideSlant

Some of the numbers shocked me. Such as:

"When Jason Babin finished last season with the highest sack total on the team, he didn't want any attention drawn to it.

After all, his five sacks ranked him 67th among the leading pass-rushers in the NFL.

The Texans, who switched from the 3-4 to the 4-3 last off-season, finished with just 28 sacks overall, ranking them 27th out of 32 teams."

Opposing QB's must have rested easy on Saturday nights last fall. I'm hoping that they'll be a little more uncomfortable this year.

Also nice to see 'Meco getting more press. He deserves it!

stingray
06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Wow... 28 sacks. I didn't realize it was that low. Shawn Merriman had 17 by himself (Roids and All) in 12 games. They definantly need to improve their pass rush. I also think that many of the fans will complain less about our safeties getting burned all the time if we put some pressure on the Qb. I think C.C. and Earl will look much better if Mario and Amobe get to the QB.

drewmar74
06-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah. 28. Pretty pitiful.

Kinda put a damper on some of my unbridled enthusiasm for next season.

Silver Oak
06-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I think C.C. and Earl will look much better if Mario and Amobe get to the QB.

Said the same thing myself. Here's hoping we're both right! :texflag:

Marcus
06-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow... 28 sacks. I didn't realize it was that low. Shawn Merriman had 17 by himself (Roids and All) in 12 games. They definantly need to improve their pass rush. I also think that many of the fans will complain less about our safeties getting burned all the time if we put some pressure on the Qb. I think C.C. and Earl will look much better if Mario and Amobe get to the QB.

I seriously doubt that! There are many fans who actually think that secondary play is totally independant of the pressure that's put on a QB. I'm tempted to name a few of them, but I won't.:rolleyes:

rickyb
06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
There are many fans who actually think that secondary play is totally independant of the pressure that's put on a QB.

Expanding on this point, this is why it is important to spread the limited monetary resource across the entire defense. And again across the entire offense. We presently have a large amount of money and opportunity cost tied up in that defensive line, and we had better be at a tipping point in terms of the D-line play improving secondary play or else we have painted ourselves financially into a corner. :gun:

I am cautiously optimistic about our reaching that tipping point. I think we will get much more pressure in the pocket this year: a) Mario healthy, and b) Okoye up the middle. :bat: