PDA

View Full Version : Face of the franchise?

TexanSam
06-15-2007, 01:54 AM
Who is the new face of the Texans franchise now that David Carr is no longer on the team? I guess it could be argued he wasn't the face of the franchise after Kubiak took over but from a national perspective I still think most outsiders thought of Carr when they thought of the Texans. But now who is it? DeMeco? Mario Williams? Kubiak? Andre Johnson? Schaub?

Thoughts?

ReliantTexan
06-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Who is the new face of the Texans franchise now that David Carr is no longer on the team? I guess it could be argued he wasn't the face of the franchise after Kubiak took over but from a national perspective I still think most outsiders thought of Carr when they thought of the Texans. But now who is it? DeMeco? Mario Williams? Kubiak? Andre Johnson? Schaub?

Thoughts?Honestly, I think it's Super Mario,he's the one ESPN talks about the most(You know the whole Reggie deal) so I think he's the one people think of when they picture the Texans.Closely followed By Matt.

ledzeppelin229
06-15-2007, 02:45 AM
If Mario plays to expectations and turns into a professional on and off the field, he has the fast track to being the face...right now though I think DeMeco and AJ are ahead of him. Schaub has the chance too if he plays well.

PapaL
06-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Kubiak and AJ.

mancunian
06-15-2007, 07:19 AM
I'd say AJ at the moment - but there's at least 5 players who could end up being described that way

Overalls
06-15-2007, 07:33 AM
If we, as Texan, fans are asking this question of ourselves. It stands to reason so is the national media and fans of other teams. Sure last season we were known for Carr and Williams, but both were more negative impresions. AJ went to the Pro Bowl again but he shows quiet strength and as much as we repect him as a player. It is hard for someone like that to be a "face" of a franchise. I think after the season starts we will have players step up. I think the national media will be keeping their eyes on us because everybody likes a sad sack team that turns good. WHEN we start winning games I think our "face" will become clear. I think Schaub has more of an it factor than David and he could become the "face" of the team, but if all goes to plan we could be known for our DOMINANT D.

badboy
06-15-2007, 11:12 AM
AJ is great player but is a quiet leader. Schaub will try to be but my vote goes to our probowler @ MLB who will solidify himself as the "face". I see him as the QB of the defense and in second year willing to step up more vocally.As DROY, he will confidently push the players where they should be and will encourage the offense with his skills & attitude.

Kaiser Toro
06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I am going to throw Dunta's name in there as he has started to assert his voice in the locker room and has been one of our more talented players. If the defense progresses again this year and he is able to shut down his side of the field I believe you will see his face, name, quotes being picked up in the press a lot more this year.

Double Barrel
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
The face of the franchise is Toro!

http://www.mascots.com/images/galleries/horses/Thumbs/HoustonTexans_Toro.jpg

:texflag:

real
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
dito

Kaiser Toro
06-15-2007, 12:30 PM
The face of the franchise is Toro!

http://www.mascots.com/images/galleries/horses/Thumbs/HoustonTexans_Toro.jpg

:texflag:

Overrated, although his rapelling skills are sick.

However, your submission does bring up the question of why we do not have a Toro smilie?

dskillz
06-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Actually I think it is Mario. That is the player that is most recognizable on the team. The one guy who has done alot of interviews. In fact, Mario in his one year as a pro probably has done more than AJ in his entire career. Mario really comes across good in those videos as well. We will see who the Texans make available this year.

nunusguy
06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I already think of Schaub as the primary "spokesman" of the teams players, atleast the Offensive side of the ball. And its a role that he seems to welcome and enjoy. He's obviously intelligent, articulate, & poised. He's also a nice looking young man, which doesn't hurt in this day of the TV, without having the preppy demeanor & pretty-boy good looks that always seemed to really annoy all the Carr-bashers.
Whether or not spokesman translate into "face" of the franchise, I dunno ?

The Pencil Neck
06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't know. I think the whole "face of the franchise" thing is pretty over-rated.

Earlier in another similar thread, I voted for Kubiak.

But I think that the face of the franchise (if it exists) comes from the person who gets out there and does the most interviews, the guy that the reporters go to and put on the news. Recently for us, that's been Dunta more than anyone but he really hasn't been that active. I think that Schaub wants to fill that role and I think the FO wants and expects him in that role but until the season starts and bullets start flying and he proves himself, he's not it, yet.

The1ApplePie
06-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Actually I think it is Mario. That is the player that is most recognizable on the team. The one guy who has done alot of interviews. In fact, Mario in his one year as a pro probably has done more than AJ in his entire career. Mario really comes across good in those videos as well. We will see who the Texans make available this year.

Mario is the most recognizable because he is a joke to NFL fans all over the country, and to most media people.

AJ should be the face. Best player on the team and a class guy.

Corrosion
06-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I couldnt care less about the national media , I couldnt care less how the Texans market the team , I do however care how the team performs .

Anyone remember those real good Oilers teams of the 70's ? Who was the "Face of the franchise" on those teams ...... there wasnt one although there were a whole lot of good players .

All this marketing crap just makes the price of my kids Nike's go up .... stupid endorsements .

badboy
06-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I couldnt care less about the national media , I couldnt care less how the Texans market the team , I do however care how the team performs .

Anyone remember those real good Oilers teams of the 70's ? Who was the "Face of the franchise" on those teams ...... there wasnt one although there were a whole lot of good players .

All this marketing crap just makes the price of my kids Nike's go up .... stupid endorsements .Bum Phillips was the face in the 70s and in 1978 ( I think) Earl Campbell won his first rushing title.

Corrosion
06-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Bum Phillips was the face in the 70s and in 1978 ( I think) Earl Campbell won his first rushing title.

My point was that it wasnt any single person . Those teams had players that everyone could relate to . Hell the Steelers from that era were much the same as the Oilers .... I think this fits in well with what McNair said about needing 18-21ish really good players . not just One "Face of the franchise" to shoulder the entire load .

powerfuldragon
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
dunta and demeco are the faces on D.

AJ and Schaub seem to be the faces on O.

Hagar
06-15-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't know. I think the whole "face of the franchise" thing is pretty over-rated.

Earlier in another similar thread, I voted for Kubiak.I would really like to see us stop talking about who is the face of the franchise. I agree with Pencil, its way over-rated.

Ryan
06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
either dre or mario for sure

Leahmic223
06-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Mario.

Because if you mention the Texans he is the one that is going to be talked about. It may not be positive (It is more of how the Texans picked him over the Great Reggie Bush) but still, he seems to be the guy most people talk about on the team right now.

Allstar
06-16-2007, 01:06 AM
It will soon be Matt Schaub. Imagine a commercial for the week one matchup against the chiefs. "Come see Larry Johnson and the Chiefs take on Matt Schaub and the Texans." Right now, I'd probably say Mario on a national level, and DeMeco around these parts of town

red_dirt
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
There is no face, maybe one will emerge, maybe not. Cleavland has no face, KC lost it's face. I think it will take some real effort by a Barber (or Pacman) type to give a face to this team. There doesn't seem to be any direction or focus in Houston, not from the national perspective at least.

badboy
06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
There is no face, maybe one will emerge, maybe not. Cleavland has no face, KC lost it's face. I think it will take some real effort by a Barber (or Pacman) type to give a face to this team. There doesn't seem to be any direction or focus in Houston, not from the national perspective at least.Uh, thanks but no thanks on a Pacman type face for our team.

red_dirt
06-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm just saying, there's nobody inspiring people, either positively or negatively. I would rather have no face than Pacman also.

YellerLotYeller
06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
http://blog.kir.com/archives/bob%20mcnair.jpg

Runner
06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I think the boardroom decision is that Andre Johnson will be the face of the franchise. A wise choice if that decision process is followed - proven performer, highly unlikely to get in trouble, etc. Maybe a little lacking in charisma. (He could be a San Antonio Spur!)

A novel approach might be to let the new look Texans play a few games and see who becomes the "face of the franchise" by fan acclaim, popularity, etc. That would require the team to relinquish a certain amount of control though.

TexansSeminole
06-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I think the boardroom decision is that Andre Johnson will be the face of the franchise. A wise choice if that decision process is followed - proven performer, highly unlikely to get in trouble, etc. Maybe a little lacking in charisma. (He could be a San Antonio Spur!)

A novel approach might be to let the new look Texans play a few games and see who becomes the "face of the franchise" by fan acclaim, popularity, etc. That would require the team to relinquish a certain amount of control though.

I think it is Andre as well. What makes you think the boardroom decision is Andre?

maddogmrb
06-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I dunno, I kinda think if it's not Brett Schaub, we're gonna be in trouble....

Allstar
06-19-2007, 09:00 PM

I think we're gonna be in trouble.

Runner
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I think it is Andre as well. What makes you think the boardroom decision is Andre?

I was told there were plans of a big sign with Dre's picture on it outside of Reliant this offseason, although I never saw it myself. He's also on the cover of an issue of Houston based Continental Airlines' in-flight magazine. Things like that. His visage is just starting to show up in random places.

The Pencil Neck
06-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I was told there were plans of a big sign with Dre's picture on it outside of Reliant this offseason, although I never saw it myself. He's also on the cover of an issue of Houston based Continental Airlines' in-flight magazine. Things like that. His visage is just starting to show up in random places.

I just don't think he's vocal enough for it.

Then again, I don't really get the reason for having a face of the franchise except for business reasons. Who are the faces of teams? I made up my own list. This is just whose face I see when I think of that team:

Patriots: Brady
Jets: Pennington, but not strong
Bills: None
Dolphins: None
Ravens: Ray Lewis
Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger
Bengals: Chad Johnson
Browns: None
Colts: Manning
Texans: Kubiak, but not strong
Titans: Fisher, maybe a little VY
Jags: Gary Coleman, but not strong
Chargers: None, I don't see LT's face when I think of them. I don't know why.
Broncos: Shanahan
Chiefs: None
Raiders: None

Eagles: McNabb
Cowboys: Jerry Jones?
Redskins: Gibbs
Giants: Manning
Saints: Brees
Panthers: Steve Smith or Julius Peppers
Falcons: Vick
Buccs: Gruden
Bears: None
Packers: Favre
Lions: None
Vikings: None
Seahawks: Shaun Alexander
Rams: Bulger, maybe Holt
Cardinals: Maybe Leinart
Niners: None

That was probably interesting to no one but me.

Vinny
06-20-2007, 12:50 PM
When I think of any "face of the franchise", I think generally an elite talent that other teams don't want to face...someone to be afraid of (competitively). You don't have to be vocal to be the "face of the franchise". Heck, Earl Campbell was quiet as Andre...but he was without question, THE face of the Oilers franchise for years. I've always had a problem with the Texans insisting that unproven talent who is riding on pure spec become the "face" of the team....ie David Carr. Once released we found out our old face of the franchise was the face of a player nobody wanted to start for them....so much for spec huh?

Right now the "face of the franchise" across the NFL is Andre Johnson. Frankly, Andre and DeMeco Ryans are the two players that can play on any team in the NFL....and have proven it on the field and have more than media hype, self reporting team gloss, and pure speculation that makes them what they are. If Mario can do something he can join in on the fun…..but he is in pure spec mode himself.

badboy
06-20-2007, 02:01 PM
When I think of any "face of the franchise", I think generally an elite talent that other teams don't want to face...someone to be afraid of (competitively). You don't have to be vocal to be the "face of the franchise". Heck, Earl Campbell was quiet as Andre...but he was without question, THE face of the Oilers franchise for years. I've always had a problem with the Texans insisting that unproven talent who is riding on pure spec become the "face" of the team....ie David Carr. Once released we found out our old face of the franchise was the face of a player nobody wanted to start for them....so much for spec huh?

Right now the "face of the franchise" across the NFL is Andre Johnson. Frankly, Andre and DeMeco Ryans are the two players that can play on any team in the NFL....and have proven it on the field and have more than media hype, self reporting team gloss, and pure speculation that makes them what they are. If Mario can do something he can join in on the funů..but he is in pure spec mode himself.

This is why I went with Demeco earlier. I am surprised no local business has offered him commercials. To me he would be a great spokesman and DROY could be worked into almost any type commercial. Maybe he needs a better agent?

HOU-TEX
06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
This is why I went with Demeco earlier. I am surprised no local business has offered him commercials. To me he would be a great spokesman and DROY could be worked into almost any type commercial. Maybe he needs a better agent?

Or, maybe he chooses not to do things of that nature.:)

Kaiser Toro
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM

I would rather have Matt Favre under center. But that is just me.