PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions of aging running backs changing - Ahman Green

Tailgate
06-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Found this article on ESPNs NFL front page with a pic of our boy Green. Great stuff! If you really think about it... he has only really played in 6 full seasons thus far. Can't wait to see him in action.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeff&id=2901478

Green is convinced that recent history has helped change some views on older backs around the league. Though the New York Jets' Curtis Martin is on the brink of retirement at 34, he led the NFL in rushing three years ago when he was 31. Now that Tiki Barber actually has retired from the New York Giants, it's hard to not still be awed by his productivity over the last three seasons. He registered 1,680 yards per season over that span while handling 1,006 total carries. Last season, at 31, he rambled for 1,662 yards before moving into a career in broadcasting.

Green adds that he hasn't been as excited about an upcoming season in a long time. He heard all the whispers about his decline after sustaining a quadriceps injury in 2005, but he rebounded to gain 1,059 yards on 266 carries last season. He also had to go through contract talks with the Packers that left him looking for a better opportunity elsewhere.

Maddict5
06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeff&id=2901478&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Green adds that he hasn't been as excited about an upcoming season in a long time. He heard all the whispers about his decline after sustaining a quadriceps injury in 2005, but he rebounded to gain 1,059 yards on 266 carries last season. He also had to go through contract talks with the Packers that left him looking for a better opportunity elsewhere.

"They told me they thought I only had two good years left in me," Green says. "I told them I didn't agree with that. I still feel like I have a lot more left."

Immobilarity
06-12-2007, 06:21 PM
And he has Scott Frost and the Seattle Seahawks to thank for the possibility of an extended career!

Maddict5
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
oops- just saw tailgates thread now... apologies