PDA

View Full Version : Your pick for NFL player to Texans

badboy
06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Name the one active NFL player that you would like to see on our team. Forget contracts, money, cap, etc. Pick must be at players current age, skills, health, etc.

Texan_Bill
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
As much as it pains me to say this: Payton Manning... For two reasons, he's obviously one of the best QB's today and we would be taking him from a in-division team.. Two birds with one stone.

Ckw
06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Champ Bailey

Ckw
06-07-2007, 04:56 PM
or Ladainian Tomlinson

SheTexan
06-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Can I pick two??? Please!!

LT for obvious reasons!! How neat would it be to see some consistency at RB.

Marvin Harrison!! Want a duo he and AJ would make!!

Texan_Bill
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Champ Bailey
Ladainian Tomlinson

Cheater, thats two.....

SheTexan
06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Cheater, thats two.....

I cheated too!!:texflag: If I could only pick ONE, it would have to be LT.

Ckw
06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Cheater, thats two.....

Alright alright... :) I guess I'll just have to settle for Champ Bailey...

hollywood_texan
06-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Vince Young.

There, it has been said!

eriadoc
06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Ed Reed.

OK, LT is a good choice as well, but imagine our up-and-coming defense with Ed Reed at Safety.

Ckw
06-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Ed Reed.

Great pick!! Man, this is a hard game...

Maddict5
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
like him or hate him, it HAS to be tom brady.. he can do it without loads of talent (which is why i always rate him above peyton)

06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
ed reed.

real
06-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Gotta go with Mr. Bunchden himself...

Tom Cat...

Cool daddy...

Mr. Brady....

My favorite player in the leauge...

Texan_Bill
06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I cheated too!!:texflag: If I could only pick ONE, it would have to be LT.

You get a free pass - She.... :fans:

drewmar74
06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
It's not real sexy, but Marcus McNeil. Young, franchise-type LT to anchor the line. I'm a big Chester fan, but c'mon.

nunusguy
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
It's not real sexy, but Marcus McNeil.
Maybe not the sexiest pick, but the right answer Drewmar74 ! Well really the right answer is the leagues best LT now and for the future whoever that is, be it McNeil or D'Brick or Joe Thomas or whoever.

Shaft75
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Julius Peppers
Imagine Mario and Julius chasing the qb...

Yankee_In_TX
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
As much as it pains me to say this: Payton Manning... For two reasons, he's obviously one of the best QB's today and we would be taking him from a in-division team.. Two birds with one stone.

I agree with what *brain explodes*

brakos82
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Any receiver named Johnson.

powerfuldragon
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Ed Reed.

OK, LT is a good choice as well, but imagine our up-and-coming defense with Ed Reed at Safety.
yes.

Grams
06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Assante Samuel

Double Barrel
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Julius Peppers

scourge
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Champ Bailey

TEXANS84
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Peyton.

MorKnolle
06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Julius Peppers

I'll second this motion. Even though we've spent so much on the DLine in the last couple years, we still don't have a real good DE opposite Mario and could probably use help elsewhere a little more. However, can you imagine Mario Williams rushing the passer off the weak side with Julius Peppers rushing around the strongside edge? As a bonus, Peppers is pretty young still and has several good years left in him (as opposed to some other players like Peyton). Manning, Brady, LT, Ed Reed or Champ Bailey would all be very nice as well.

Goldensilence
06-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Julius Peppers

That would have to be a sickening thought for defensive coordinators. Williams and Peppers outside, Amobi and if TJ played up.....

TexanSam
06-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Peyton Manning. QB is the most important position on the field and Peyton is arguably the best QB in the NFL.

real
06-08-2007, 02:05 AM
My problem with Peyton Manning is that I don't think he can function in any offense...I think he needs certain kind of plays with certain kind of recievers...Not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but I see Brady as a guy who by himself gives your offense credibility. I think Peyton Manning wouldn't be as good with our recievers/Oline...I think him and A.J and maybe Daniels would connect, but I feel like we don't have the personel, from the RB's to the O-line to the recieving targets for Peton Manning to have an elite impact...JMO....

I see Brady as a guy who can step into any offense and give you the feeling that he's going to be in control and lead that offense steadily on respectful drives. JMO. And my argument against Peppers is that I don't think that he has the impact that a QB like Brady would have on the whole team. I think LT is definitely a candidate, but in the end I just don't really see a single player that gives a whole team credibility in any situation like Tom Cat.....JMHO....

real
06-08-2007, 02:05 AM
My problem with Peyton Manning is that I don't think he can function in any offense...I think he needs certain kind of plays with certain kind of recievers...Not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but I see Brady as a guy who by himself gives your offense credibility. I think Peyton Manning wouldn't be as good with our recievers/Oline...I think him and A.J and maybe Daniels would connect, but I feel like we don't have the personel, from the RB's to the O-line to the recieving targets for Peton Manning to have an elite impact...JMO....

I see Brady as a guy who can step into any offense and give you the feeling that he's going to be in control and lead that offense steadily on respectful drives. JMO. And my argument against Peppers is that I don't think that he has the impact that a QB like Brady would have on the whole team. I think LT is definitely a candidate, but in the end I just don't really see a single player that gives a whole team credibility in any situation like Tom Cat.....JMHO....

beerlover
06-08-2007, 02:22 AM
walter jones

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/NFL/Seahawks/walter_jones_AndyLyons.jpg

whiskeyrbl
06-08-2007, 05:12 AM
If I went defense it would be Ed Reed. If I went offense it would be Marquis Colston.

mancunian
06-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Tommie Harris, DT of the Bears

ccdude730
06-08-2007, 07:52 AM
kaeding? anyone?

dalemurphy
06-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Demarcus Ware- I think he's the next Charles Haley. Incredible speed, playmaking ability, with strength and agressiveness. I only go with him over Peppers because of age difference

Kaiser Toro
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I wanted him in 2002 and would want him now, Julius Freaking Red Hot Chili Peppers.

bckey
06-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Shawne Merriman

HoustonFrog
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Defense: Julius Peppers
Offense: LT

badboy
06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm surprised more left tackles were not named, especially due to our lack of ever having a real good one.

The Pencil Neck
06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm surprised more left tackles were not named, especially due to our lack of ever having a real good one.

The oline just ain't sexy. If you have a choice between a star skill player and a linemen, the stars are going to go first.

badboy
06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
The oline just ain't sexy. If you have a choice between a star skill player and a linemen, the stars are going to go first.
I agree. Yet there are some strong LTs out there.

Double Barrel
06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
An LT was my 2nd choice (very close call), but went with a pass rusher because I think a dominant defensive unit is a work of art (and a bit more able to control a game).

drewmar74
06-11-2007, 05:40 PM
My reasoning for picking LT was because of the potential that we have at other positions.

Not to say that the other players mentioned wouldn't be improvements over what we have now. Rather, the talent differential seems to be greatest between our current players and some of the league's best performers at LT.

I'd say the talent gap was equally great with our safeties and CB2 position so I wouldn't argue with that either.

Just my .02

eriadoc
06-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Well, as a proponent of getting a good LT, I almost mentioned one. I didn't though, because we're kind of in limbo with the LT position, insofar as superstars go, right now. Pace, Jones, and Ogden have generally been regarded as the best three LTs over the past decade. There are a couple more that merit mention as well. They are all getting up there in years, though. Any of thsoe three from 6 years ago, and it's a no-brainer decision to me. Levi Jones, is forging a nice career for himself, and I have a good feeling about McNeil and Ferguson, as well. But they have yet to really prove it at a very high level, so we'll have to see.

Our other big area of concern is secondary, and Ed Reed is the one guy that would make an instant impact there, IMO. So that's why I chose him.

gg no re
06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
post-knee Daunte Culpepper

drewmar74
06-11-2007, 06:46 PM
post-knee Daunte Culpepper

Charlie? Mr. Casserly? Is that you?

Runner
06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I was going to name an LT, but I find myself monotonous.

threetoedpete
06-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I was going to name an LT, but I find myself monotonous.

Hmmm some day huh ? Got a prety fair LG one player away from having a dominate left side. I'm wondering how ordinary the Steelers running game is going to look with out Fanaca on the left side this season ? Jones was good, but not as good without Huchtinson. I think with or with out the left tackle, Ladanian would loook good in anyones uniform.

Like the Tommy Harris pick also. Bears defense looked prety ordinary once he went down last year.

Mr teX
06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
LT hands down........

great human being..... Great player......... from texas.....

Hagar
06-12-2007, 01:50 PM
LT hands down........

great human being..... Great player......... from texas.....Agree. He'd also make our Oline, QB and defense a lot better by just stepping on the field.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Earl Campbell, see xtru's avatar if you wonder why I choose him. lol:cool:

Seriously though, I'd go with LT. He can make a bad Oline look good.

michaelm
06-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Everyone has already made most of the reasonable points about QBs and LTs, so I'll just make a few observations.
These aren't necessarily the first guys I would pick... most of them have already been mentioned.

If I'm choosing a QB, I might take Brady over Manning just because it's well known that to beat Manning, you have to pressure him, and I think Brady would do better with our still mostly average or below average OL. Not to mention the less that stellar WRs outside of AJ.

Shawn Merriman is arguable the most disruptive defensive player in the league, and I'd like to see what he could do in Steel Blue.
I just don't know how he'd fit our scheme.

Larry Johnson would be a guy who I'd like to see here on Sundays.
The guy is a beast and a north/south runner.

I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Smith opposite of AJ.
AJ would be the fox, and Smith the rabbit.

A couple of others that I wouldn't mind seeing come here (I believe both would play the role of the fox...)

http://www.dallascowboys.com/cheerleaders/images/photoboards/zooms/becca3_calendar06_300.jpg

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/PKBOCPDBJIJF/adrienneSTL04_01.jpg

rickyb
06-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Name the one active NFL player that you would like to see on our team. Forget contracts, money, cap, etc. Pick must be at players current age, skills, health, etc.

Marcus McNeil.

I am sure someone will have said this. I wanted to respond BEFORE reading other thoughts, so my first gut reaction is documented.

Best,
Rick

rickyb
06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Marcus McNeil.

I am sure someone will have said this. I wanted to respond BEFORE reading other thoughts, so my first gut reaction is documented.

Best,
Rick

OK, so I have read everyone's thoughts. I can see the attraction to an RB the talent of Tomlinson. I still think I am going to stick with the OLT position, and of those out there, at their present age/health/etc (as per the rules of the thought experiment), I am going to stick with McNeil.

Other thoughts, not necessarily directly answering the question, but related. Besides OLT, I think CB2 and FS are the biggest position needs of the Texans. Probably why we saw shouts from Ed Reed and Champ Bailey.

Good question. Thanks for it.

OH -- and can I just say --- it is next to impossible to find time to post with a newborn at home. Holy cow. I went from "hey, i like this message board, i'm going to post" to "yeah, i think i'm going to prioritize sleep over posting." Anyway, the kid has the sleeping thing wired tight now, so I can structure my time a bit better.

Best,
Rick

TexansSeminole
06-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Reggie Wayne.

Ryan
06-16-2007, 02:20 PM
i'm willing to make a trade

The Texans Get:The Colts players
The Colts Get:The Texans players and 12 future first round picks

badboy
06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
i'm willing to make a trade

The Texans Get:The Colts players
The Colts Get:The Texans players and 12 future first round picksIf I was the Colts, I'd take that trade. Getting this Texans team +the Texans' 12 first round picks+ the Colts 12 1st round picks would be sweet. With the two first round selections in 2008, I'd select a free safety and either a OLT (if needed) or a #2 receiver. The cap space next off season should allow the Colts (Texans) to pick up at least two quality starters in free agency.

badboy
06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Everyone has already made most of the reasonable points about QBs and LTs, so I'll just make a few observations.
These aren't necessarily the first guys I would pick... most of them have already been mentioned.

If I'm choosing a QB, I might take Brady over Manning just because it's well known that to beat Manning, you have to pressure him, and I think Brady would do better with our still mostly average or below average OL. Not to mention the less that stellar WRs outside of AJ.

Shawn Merriman is arguable the most disruptive defensive player in the league, and I'd like to see what he could do in Steel Blue.
I just don't know how he'd fit our scheme.

Larry Johnson would be a guy who I'd like to see here on Sundays.
The guy is a beast and a north/south runner.

I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Smith opposite of AJ.
AJ would be the fox, and Smith the rabbit.

A couple of others that I wouldn't mind seeing come here (I believe both would play the role of the fox...)

http://www.dallascowboys.com/cheerleaders/images/photoboards/zooms/becca3_calendar06_300.jpg

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/PKBOCPDBJIJF/adrienneSTL04_01.jpg

Have I ever mentioned how much I like yellow and a tan?

swtbound07
06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
michael vick. im the only one i know.