PDA

View Full Version : McCardell to visit Texans on Tuesday

MightyTExan
06-05-2007, 07:52 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4861696.html

In an effort to add a veteran wide receiver, the Texans will visit with Keenan McCardell at Reliant Stadium today.

McCardell, 37, is entering his 17th season in the NFL. He spent the past three seasons with the San Diego Chargers after stops in Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Washington. He has recorded five 1,000-yard receiving seasons, with his most recent coming in 2003.

McCardell, 6-1 and 191 pounds, started 11 games last season and finished with 36 receptions for 437 yards. He had 70 receptions for 917 yards in 2005.

37? Did anyone even want Jerry Rice at that age?

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2007, 08:03 AM
McCardell has been a possession reciever his whole career, maybe one of the best of all time. He is coming home, he most likely would be cheap and at the very least would provide some much needed experience in training camp for a position that does not have a lot of time in the NFL.

real
06-05-2007, 08:13 AM
What a slap in the face of Eric Moulds.

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
What a slap in the face of Eric Moulds.

Molasses was too slow to get out of the way of that slap in the face.

nunusguy
06-05-2007, 08:45 AM
And I gotta say that Kubiak & Co had a thinking process moving at about the same speed to have it take a whole year for them to figure out that Moulds wasn't our #2 guy and Walters was. And it's not like they were rookies just leaving college and coming into the league with no history in the NFL.

Silver Oak
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM

Best post ever.

Teams didn't repect Moulds' speed or his hands. Truth lies in the fact he isn't with any other team yet...even the desperate ones.

real
06-05-2007, 09:15 AM

LOL...

nice...

Texans_Chick
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
My guess.

Last year, the Texans relied mostly on a bunch of young running backs in camp and in the preseason. And then when the regular season started, and the young guys didn't work, the Texans were SOL.

I'm not sure that I want a roster space spent on McCardell, but at least during camps he is an extra coach on the field.

And maybe this is a response to Jerome Mathis not being able to stay on the field.

Mr teX
06-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Well Well Well, Looks like Johnny Mac isn't completely full of &^%$ & hot air.

Lucky
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Truth lies in the fact he isn't with any other team yet...even the desperate ones.
Moulds probably isn't keen on going through another training camp at this point in his career. I'd look for Eric to sign with someone in the middle of the preseason, after camps break.

This team has needed a Keenan McCardell for 5 seasons. Unfortunately, it might be a year too late. McCardell's production fell way off last season, and gave the Chargers nothing in their playoff loss to New England.

Double Barrel
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
McCardell has been a possession reciever his whole career, maybe one of the best of all time. He is coming home, he most likely would be cheap and at the very least would provide some much needed experience in training camp for a position that does not have a lot of time in the NFL.

This is an interesting visit. If it's all about 'leadership' and 'setting examples', why don't we just hire Jerry Rice as a coach or consultant? I'm not sure what purpose trotting out an old 'has been' will serve to benefit the team, unless it's specifically for the knowledge he can impart to our young WRs.

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
This is an interesting visit. If it's all about 'leadership' and 'setting examples', why don't we just hire Jerry Rice as a coach or consultant? I'm not sure what purpose trotting out an old 'has been' will serve to benefit the team, unless it's specifically for the knowledge he can impart to our young WRs.

The way I see it we have an untested #2 that Kubiak and even the Bengal staff were high on and spent a #3 pick on a small college fellow that has a high ceiling from a talent perspective, but perhaps low on fundamentals. McCardell at the very least can help those guys in camp (maybe even our green QB as well) by example. McCardell has been around a long time and should know the deal.

PapaL
06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I always liked Keenan. But wow 37? He will always be a Jaguar in my eyes (unless he signs for a year with - after that he will be a Jag again).

TexanAddict
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Here is what Kubiak is looking for out of McCardell:

Kubiak wants McCardell, a native Houstonian who played at UNLV, to be a mentor to the younger players as well as a player.

"If we're going to add veteran players, which he is a big-time veteran, been in this league for a long, long time, we have to do it for the right reasons," Kubiak said. "For guys who want to be here to help our young players, help our football team, and guys who can still play the game.

"One thing I wanted to do was to explain to him what I see in our receiver position, how much confidence I have in these young guys. I'm looking for somebody to come in and help them as well as help our football team. That's what he stands for. That's an easy fit. We'll wait and see what happens."

Link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3398106&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.3.1)

dickieb
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think McCardell would be a bad addition. We are very young and green on both sides of the ball, and I am glad we are pulling in some veteran leadership to help offset the steep learning curve for our rookies. We need all the experience we can buy even if it is just for one season or just for training camp.

ArlingtonTexan
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Here is what Kubiak is looking for out of McCardell:

Link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3398106&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.3.1)

Nice way of saying, don't expect to come in here and start unless the young WRs play awful.

nunusguy
06-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I dunno for sure why we need one of these so called "mentors"so bad at WR ?
I thought we took care of that last year with Moulds ? Now AJ has been "mentored", and he had a descent season which included a 2nd Honolulu trip. And this year will be his 5th year in the league so maybe its his turn to be the mentor ?
Now on the other hand if the guy can make a real contribution and we can get him for the right price, i. e. he's a value pick-up hey that's OK.
And if he's a "mentor" to, well OK if that makes John McClain and a few others happy. Whatever.

Runner
06-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Wow - times have sure changed in a year. Moulds went from "it's like having two #1 receivers on the team" and "he's mentoring AJ all the time" to a punchline. A fine example of great expectations running into reality.

McCardell ... most likely would be cheap ...

What was Moulds' signing bonus last year? $5M?

real
06-05-2007, 06:00 PM

The way I see it we have an untested #2 that Kubiak and even the Bengal staff were high on and spent a #3 pick on a small college fellow that has a high ceiling from a talent perspective, but perhaps low on fundamentals. McCardell at the very least can help those guys in camp (maybe even our green QB as well) by example. McCardell has been around a long time and should know the deal.

If that's the case why not just keep Moulds ?

Not saying that I'm against Moulds, but is McCardell a better reciever than Moulds at this point ? Does he have more knowledge to pass on?

I mean, didn't we lose money cutting Moulds ?

Double Barrel
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought we took care of that last year with Moulds ? Now AJ has been "mentored", and he had a descent season which included a 2nd Honolulu trip. And this year will be his 5th year in the league so maybe its his turn to be the mentor ?

This just crossed my mind, as well. AJ is a two time Pro Bowler, so he should be able to 'mentor' these young dudes through his actions in the lockerroom and play on the field. I know KW is supposed to be learning a lot from him, so why wouldn't the other WRs?

If anything needs 'mentoring', it's our defensive line. Stocked with four first rounders, somebody get on the phone to Bruce Smith to teach these cats some skills! :shades:

Texans_Chick
06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Now on the other hand if the guy can make a real contribution and we can get him for the right price, i. e. he's a value pick-up hey that's OK.
And if he's a "mentor" to, well OK if that makes John McClain and a few others happy. Whatever.

I think they would like him if he could make a contribution.

I just think that they don't want a WR repeat of the situation the Texans had at running back last year. The team last year went into the season with a bunch of young guys they thought could play and well, it was a misery. The number 2 receiver position has been a bit of a question mark because of all the young players, and if McCardell can be just be solid then it takes some of those questions away.

We already know what young QB and young receivers mean. Just because AJ has some experience doesn't mean what happens at the #2 position doesn't matter.

I know at least in Denver (Kubiak experience), the Broncos were reluctant to rely on rookies in their offense--that they would start experience guys first, and then work the rookies in.

If Moulds stayed, he would want to be a starter and not compete for a position. This would be a problem because though he was a good possession receiver his giddyup had gone and went with long routes.

I think talking to McCardell means that the Texans are at least looking for options instead of seeing weaknesses on the team and hoping and guessing for improvement with young guys. This doesn't mean he gets signed but it means they are continuously poking around to see what sorts of options are out there--that's not a bad thing.

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I was a proponent of the Moulds signing last year as well as his release, but was a little perturbed, not overly, on the signing bonus. However, seeing him in action after the first game you could see he had lost a step. Moreover, due to the limitations of our QB last year we could never go through a progression where two WR's were needed.

McCardell and Moulds are two different cases and players and last year's and this year's offense are two different units in my opinion.

maddogmrb
06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Does this say anything about Jacoby Jones? Not that I dislike him, just feel that we should've used the pick on a DB or OLB. With Walters, McCardel, and AJ there won't be much playing time for Jones and we could've gotten a return man later or UFA.

The Pencil Neck
06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Does this say anything about Jacoby Jones? Not that I dislike him, just feel that we should've used the pick on a DB or OLB. With Walters, McCardel, and AJ there won't be much playing time for Jones and we could've gotten a return man later or UFA.

If anything, I think it says something about Andre Davis.

But we'll have to wait until they get the pads on and people from the board are actually watching the practices.

Texans_Chick
06-05-2007, 08:39 PM
If anything, I think it says something about Andre Davis.

But we'll have to wait until they get the pads on and people from the board are actually watching the practices.

Check out how many receivers the Patriots have. Nothing like camp competition.

Texans_Chick
06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Also note the Houston connection. McCardell went to Waltrip HS.

I think we will always get at least some courtesy visits from vets who want to come home.

real
06-05-2007, 10:02 PM
My high school head coach, Bill Barron, coached McCardell when he was at waltrip...

He always used to tell stories about him...

The Pencil Neck
06-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Also note the Houston connection. McCardell went to Waltrip HS.

Hey. I've been SAYING that my man, McCardell, is a RAM, baybee! Just like Patrick Swayze and myself.

Ain't you been lisnen?

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey. I've been SAYING that my man, McCardell, is a RAM, baybee! Just like Patrick Swayze and myself.

Ain't you been lisnen?

I saw the Swayze Bird of Paradise do its mating dance on the Discovery Channel's award winning program, Planet Earth. Breath taking specimen. :)

http://www.lolitafiles.com/uploaded_images/PatrickSwayze-799672.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
06-05-2007, 11:26 PM

Ain't you been lisnen?

Was'nt Selvin Young also a Ram . How about the lady who's child said REDRUM !

I may be wrong I was thinking Jersey Village .

Vinny
06-05-2007, 11:53 PM
here is how it goes if all goes well....wr2 will be wrbc next season and it will depend on down and distance. 3rd and long and Davis is in Cory Bradford mold and in short yardage we will see Walters since he can block and McCardell will be the guy who plays in normal down and distance situations for the most part. The rookie comes along at his pace and will be worked in when he deserves to be worked in.

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
here is how it goes if all goes well....wr2 will be wrbc next season and it will depend on down and distance. 3rd and long and Davis is in Cory Bradford mold and in short yardage we will see Walters since he can block and McCardell will be the guy who plays in normal down and distance situations for the most part. The rookie comes along at his pace and will be worked in when he deserves to be worked in.

You mean like a normal NFL team? :cool:

Vinny
06-05-2007, 11:58 PM

You mean like a normal NFL team? :cool: I think that Kubiak is no longer going to be "project central" as he stocks this team (see TC's young RB comment)....those kind of coaches don't last long in the NFL today. Most projects don't pan out. Ask any gambler how much life sucks when you are waiting on a lucky streak (no offense Lucky).

TexansLucky13
06-06-2007, 12:16 AM
So now that we have debated every angle of this visit, do we have any news about this possible signing?

ccdude730
06-06-2007, 01:23 AM
This just crossed my mind, as well. AJ is a two time Pro Bowler, so he should be able to 'mentor' these young dudes through his actions in the lockerroom and play on the field. I know KW is supposed to be learning a lot from him, so why wouldn't the other WRs?

If anything needs 'mentoring', it's our defensive line. Stocked with four first rounders, somebody get on the phone to Bruce Smith to teach these cats some skills! :shades:

ive been a mentor to a couple other people that arent a whole lot younger than me and it works out really well that i can be there for them - but i also have my own mentors that i know will be there for me. so in a sense a mentor needs a mentor. i think mccardell will be able to mentor AJ by showing him how to become a better mentor to the younger guys. and of course its not like he wouldnt be helping out walters or jones or mathis with receiving skills, but i just think he could do more for AJ and the role he plays on the team.

i hope that makes any kind of sense, but thats the big benefit i see of bringing in seasoned vets to your team.

and yes, i agree our Dline needs a good veteran around them. i think there will be alot of pressure on that group this season. the casual fans will be expecting alot in terms of production/stats from our first rounders while the coaches will expect pressure on the QB to help conceal a weak secondary.

Texans_Chick
06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I saw the Swayze Bird of Paradise do its mating dance on the Discovery Channel's award winning program, Planet Earth. Breath taking specimen. :)

I think that this might belong in the "Embarrassing Pics Of Dante'" thread, with the necessary photoshopping, of course. :)

badboy
06-06-2007, 09:45 AM

That is actually a Kung Fu form based on the mythical but legendary Phoenix. It is used after being knocked to the ground. The person arises from seeming death and then goes into a completely devastating counter-attack that over whelms the other.

hot pickle
06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

by the end of the season i wanna hear you say that again... jacoby is the future of this team

FirstTexansFan
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM

I just don't know about Patrick...guess my granddad said it best..."That boy's eyeballs are located just a bit to close to his kidneys" :)

TEXANS84
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Also, just heard on SIRIUS NFL channel that McCardell is very close to signing with the Texans...

HOMECOMING
Two weeks ago, Houston general manager Rick Smith and his wife took free-agent wide receiver Keenan McCardell and his wife to dinner in Houston.

The dinner was not difficult to arrange. McCardell lives in Houston, and wants to finish his career there.

This is one of the main incentives for a deal. There would be few better ways for the 37-year-old McCardell to finish a 16-year career that started in Washington in 1991 than in the town in which he and his family live.

McCardell has had a memorable career. He managed to outlast the 34-year-old Keyshawn Johnson, who came into the league five seasons after he did. McCardell also could finish his career in the same division as the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he had his best NFL seasons from 1996 to 2001.

And if a deal with Houston is going to happen, it should come Wednesday. Both sides have enough impetus. Houston needs a veteran to play opposite Andre Johnson and McCardell would like to be the guy.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10214359

Texan_Bill
06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Was'nt Selvin Young also a Ram . How about the lady who's child said REDRUM !

I may be wrong I was thinking Jersey Village .

Shelley Duvall also went to Waltrip High School..

By the way KT, that picture was SOOOO NOT necessary... LMAO

SheTexan
06-06-2007, 05:04 PM
By the way KT, that picture was SOOOO NOT necessary... LMAO

I LOVE that pic of PS!! Wish I had it on my wall!!! Dance classes use to be a common off season thing for some NFL players. They learn balance, coordination, focus, helps with concentration techinques, agility, and many other tech needed to play the game. I remember a pic taken a long time of some NFL players in a ballet class. I doubt it's online anywhere, but, i will see if I can find it.

BTW: Remember Emmitt Smith?? Dancing with the Star's??

OzzO
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
The waiting game: Free-agent wide receiver Keenan McCardell met with Kubiak and Texans officials Tuesday. While the Texans would love to add McCardell to the roster, don’t expect an announcement anytime soon.

“I visited with (Keenan) on the phone earlier in the week. I sat down with him last night for a half-hour, 45 minutes, and discussed our situation and his situation,” Kubiak said Wednesday.

“I would love for him to be a part of our football team. I think he can come in here and help us. I think he’s got other options that he’s exploring, but hopefully he takes a hard look at our option because I think he could be a big help to us. We’ll see. I don’t’ think time is real important right now. If it’s going to get done, we’ll get it done and we’ll go to camp, but he knows he’s wanted and he can help us out.”

HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3379) Also, on the "Texans TV" at the same site, they said no news as of yet but that Keenan said he had "several offers".

NitroGSXR
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
i R

NitroGSXR
06-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Andre isn't ready to be a teacher. He's ready to lead. That's the difference here. Andre has skills that he needs to utilize in the NFL. We know he's a pro bowler. We know he's capable of leading the league in receptions but all of that has nothing to do with anything at this point in Andre's career. He doesn't have enough in order to 'pass it on' to another player. Especially one that's supposed to be a diversion for Andre at the #2 slot. Eric Moulds was a #1 receiver who honed Andre's capabilites. It was a perfect fit then. McCardell is better suited as a diversion and he'd be the better person to be mentoring our youngsters right now. Andre just needs to catch the ball and not worry about what's going on on the other sideline. I see it as of it putting 'ease' to Andre's mind and making him aware that things are being run the way they're supposed to be on the other end with McCardell laying out his experiences for Walter and Jones.

Rocky79
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The only mentoring AJ will be doing is by example. Dre is not seasoned enough to mentor anyone. I am sure he too will learn a whole lot from McCardell if he signs.

I feel if they sign him, and he makes the team, he will go all out for the city of Houston, you know he's gonna leave absolutely everything on the field. This is his last stand, and what better way to wrap up an amazing career.

Plus, I think he would be a good changeup if they alternate between Walters, and McCardell.

And if he can stick it to the Jags, well that would be icing on the cake.
:fans:

infantrycak
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Dre is not seasoned enough to mentor anyone.

Somehow it seems as if a two time pro-bowler (the same number McCardell has in 17 years in the league) and player voted by the other players as the best at his position might have some knowledge to pass along. Mentoring is not all about being an old guy.

Specnatz
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Somehow it seems as if a two time pro-bowler (the same number McCardell has in 17 years in the league) and player voted by the other players as the best at his position might have some knowledge to pass along. Mentoring is not all about being an old guy.

True but how many probowls has TO been to or Moss, would you want them mentoring anyone? I am not say AJ is like them but what I am saying is just because you went to a rpo bowl does not make you a good mentor. AJ is freakishly talented and a good guy but that does not mean he is a mentor, other than leading by example. I do not think he is one to speak up in the club house.

I know Jocby has said some nice things about learning from him but someone who has spent a long time in the league could offer a different perspective.

Heath Shuler
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Mentors mentoring mentors? It is a football team, not some United Way Big Brothers program; we need to put the best eleven players out on offense and win some games.

badboy
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
True but how many probowls has TO been to or Moss, would you want them mentoring anyone? I am not say AJ is like them but what I am saying is just because you went to a rpo bowl does not make you a good mentor. AJ is freakishly talented and a good guy but that does not mean he is a mentor, other than leading by example. I do not think he is one to speak up in the club house.

I know Jocby has said some nice things about learning from him but someone who has spent a long time in the league could offer a different perspective.
Clubhouse leaders are ok, I would rather Andre tell a back up, see here is how I make a move on the DB and I use this part of my body to shield the pass and this is how I push off the CB without getting caught. There are little things that can be taught without yelling and rah rah. Is this not AJ fifth season? Sounds like he should have a bit of seasoning. Not dissing McCardell, just praising AJ.

Double Barrel
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, in the same way the talk of "Shaub's leadership" gets stale to some, I think the "hiring old players to mentor our young players" angle is overplayed a bit, as well. :mag:

We have coaches that are supposed to take care of coaching, and we do have veteran players in some key positions (AJ being one of them).

badboy
06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, in the same way the talk of "Shaub's leadership" gets stale to some, I think the "hiring old players to mentor our young players" angle is overplayed a bit, as well. :mag:

We have coaches that are supposed to take care of coaching, and we do have veteran players in some key positions (AJ being one of them).
There you go.

nunusguy
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Plus, I think he would be a good changeup if they alternate between Walters, and McCardell.

Setting aside this mentoring issue for a moment, I dunno if sometimes Kubiak isn't a little fickle in supporting his players ?
Last year he was all enthusiastic about Moulds coming in and being AJs #2 guy. Then they released Moulds in the offseason after extensive review of game film from the previous season, and came out with all these protestations about how he should have played Walters more and how he could be his guy after AJ in the peking order of WRs. I was thinking Walters was now our official #2 WR ? Now he's supposedly all excited about 37-year-old McCardell as a real contributor at WR.
We've already brought in a young FA WR, our #2 draftee this year was a WR, and Walters is also a young WR. C'mon Coach, how 'bout using those precious reps for #2 on Walters and/or the other young WRs and let McCardell sit down with Charles Schwab, AG Edwards, or somebody else like that to figure out his future ?

Second Honeymoon
06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Setting aside this mentoring issue for a moment, I dunno if sometimes Kubiak isn't a little fickle in supporting his players ?
Last year he was all enthusiastic about Moulds coming in and being AJs #2 guy. Then they released Moulds in the offseason after extensive review of game film from the previous season, and came out with all these protestations about how he should have played Walters more and how he could be his guy after AJ in the peking order of WRs. I was thinking Walters was now our official #2 WR ? Now he's supposedly all excited about 37-year-old McCardell as a real contributor at WR.
We've already brought in a young FA WR, our #2 draftee this year was a WR, and Walters is also a young WR. C'mon Coach, how 'bout using those precious reps for #2 on Walters and/or the other young WRs and let McCardell sit down with Charles Schwab, AG Edwards, or somebody else like that to figure out his future ?

If we can get McCardell to sign with us without overpaying, I am totally down with it. Our WR is very low on depth and we have to cover our arse in case of injuries. I would rather go after Gaffney (may get released by Pats) but we can't stand pat with what we got. we need more talent at WR and McCardell helps us out in the short term in terms of talent. We have Jones as our long term solution to our talent at WR.

Goldensilence
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
It will be an interesting TC. I think the conclusion here is it would be slated he'd make the team. I'm not so sure on that.

I think it's more along the lines of we've got a bunch of young talented receivers with a lack of game experience. If nothing else McCardell would solidify the #2 or three spot in a pinch if the Coaching staff isn't overtly impressed with Davis, Mathis, Anderson and if Jones isn't ready for the big time just yet. I'm not sold on the mentoring angle. More lessons from the RB debacle early last year.

Last year Kubiak probably learned a lot more about personnel then he did in Denver. I think we'll see a lot more patience in working some people into the starting line up if they're not ready. That and i think this offseason we've addressed enough to were we don't have to do that anymore.

Texan_Bill
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
So where does Andre Davis fit into the equation now???

TheRealJoker
06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
When do you guys think we'll find any new information on this?

The Pencil Neck
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
When do you guys think we'll find any new information on this?

I think it's in McCardell's court right now. He says he's got several offers.

MorKnolle
06-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't know that I overly understand this potential signing. We brought in a pretty talented veteran last year in Eric Moulds to help mentor Andre and the other young WRs and take attention away from Andre (that much worked pretty well). Granted he had lost a step and couldn't get much separation, plus it sounds like he complained about his lack of use at times during the year (somewhat understandable). However, you cut him and then bring in a guy that is even older and has never been as good or fast at any point in his career than Moulds, plus he hasn't been a model locker room presence at past times either. If we do sign him I at least hope it is for a far cheaper price than they paid for Moulds last year as I would not expect anything more out of him than what we got out of Moulds.

TexanFan881
06-08-2007, 09:44 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10217495

With a little over a month left before training camps open, McCardell is still on the street. He has talked with several teams, including the Saints, Vikings, Titans and Texans, but so far has not signed. The Texans, in his hometown of Houston, visited with him on Tuesday, but they offered only a veteran minimum deal. He's still waiting for something more.

Doesn't sound like we think we need him that bad.

mexican_texan
06-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I see him as a Sam Cowart more than a contributor.

Da_General
06-09-2007, 02:09 AM
All this talk about AJ being a mentor sounds a little strange to me. Let's be realistic here - and I'm not taking ANYTHING away from his skills at all - he was the ONLY option for our previous QB. The guy got bigtime catches from a QB that was told where to throw and not to read the defense. Is it any wonder he had such high numbers? He's been through all these seasons with a pathetic QB and very little talent around him and a joke of an offensive scheme. Has he really learned all that much? I would wager that a WR in a talented offense and quality scheme would have MUCH more to share with younger players. AJ is (we all hope) finally going to get a chance to do more with his skills than in the past because we're finally putting some quality talent around him, especially a QB that can actually read a defense and throw the ball to one of multiple targets.
What's he going to tell the young guys? How to be the only decent player on the offense? Go out and turn around and catch the ball? This is the first REAL chance that AJ is getting to actually DO SOMETHING with all of those skills he has naturally.
I'm not even sure I'm getting my point across...I just think he's got a long way to go before he's THE mentor.

TLove21
06-09-2007, 02:59 AM
ahh jeez.....i fortell another newscaster in the near future

TK_Gamer
06-09-2007, 08:36 AM
All this talk about AJ being a mentor sounds a little strange to me. Let's be realistic here - and I'm not taking ANYTHING away from his skills at all - he was the ONLY option for our previous QB. The guy got bigtime catches from a QB that was told where to throw and not to read the defense. Is it any wonder he had such high numbers? He's been through all these seasons with a pathetic QB and very little talent around him and a joke of an offensive scheme. Has he really learned all that much? I would wager that a WR in a talented offense and quality scheme would have MUCH more to share with younger players. AJ is (we all hope) finally going to get a chance to do more with his skills than in the past because we're finally putting some quality talent around him, especially a QB that can actually read a defense and throw the ball to one of multiple targets.
What's he going to tell the young guys? How to be the only decent player on the offense? Go out and turn around and catch the ball? This is the first REAL chance that AJ is getting to actually DO SOMETHING with all of those skills he has naturally.
I'm not even sure I'm getting my point across...I just think he's got a long way to go before he's THE mentor.

all due respect but, yer like way off. you dont get voted into the probowl by just turning around and catching the ball. I guess you missed a few highlights in the last 5 years. like some leaping catches in the endzone, some 30 yards after the catch plays. I will say he got way too much practice on the 9 yard hook route but that doesnt come close to describing AJ. IMHO

the wonger need food
06-09-2007, 09:09 AM

What a ridiculous post... and no your point will not get across to anyone because it's ignorant. It's obvious by Andre's 2 Pro Bowl appearances over the past 3 seasons that he has learned how to be a very good professional football player. He has also done it off the field by staying out of trouble and being a positive influence on the community. Obviously other players should look up to him and want to be like him.

Da_General
06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I kicked this around all day trying to think of a better way to say what I was trying to say last night when I was tired. The best I can come up with is that you can't teach natural talent, and I don't think that AJ has expanded much beyond his natural talent simply because of the lack of surrounding talent and poor scheming. I just don't think his greatness is a RESULT of anything the Texans organization has done for him. His greatness is his own, and he had it from before he joined our team.

I DO think he could teach a lot about work ethic, however. And I do think that he can share his vision of what he sees on the field, so I guess I'm contradicting myself...nothing new THERE! But right now it seems he's got a golden opportunity to do a LOT more than he's done up to this point and to firmly entrench himself as THE VERY BEST in the game. Look at it this way - if he's made 2 Pro Bowls with the team he's had, think how much better he'll be with the team we seem to be building! Scary!!!

Second Honeymoon
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
you offer him veteran minimum and beat any other team's incentives package. Based on the teams that are chasing him, I think we are the most attractive destination and we can offer him a lot of other intangibles as well as a good chance to get significant production/playing time.

The bottom line is that we are woefully thin at WR from both skill level and depth perspective. They gotta do something about that, and Keenan would help the situation greatly. We owe it to Matt, the team, and the fans. He wouldn't hurt us cap wise in the future so IMHO there is NO reason not to make the deal.

nunusguy
06-12-2007, 09:00 AM
"Last year's top overall pick Mario Williams, who's only 22 himself, has taken a particular interest in bringing the youngster along. He said the pair spend a lot of time together away from the game, but that their conversations often focus on football.
"Since he's so young, I tell him: 'You really have to be mentally tough,"' Williams said. "'You can't get down on yourself if this stunt doesn't work out or maybe you got beat on this rep. You've just got to bounce back."'
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-okoye&prov=ap&type=lgns
Now for all you folks who are often clamoring for the Texans to bring in some
old-timer to "mentor" the younger guys like some have been for McCardell, here's a perfect example of how one of our younger guys, actually very young, can step-up to fulfil the mentor role.

badboy
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
"Last year's top overall pick Mario Williams, who's only 22 himself, has taken a particular interest in bringing the youngster along. He said the pair spend a lot of time together away from the game, but that their conversations often focus on football.
"Since he's so young, I tell him: 'You really have to be mentally tough,"' Williams said. "'You can't get down on yourself if this stunt doesn't work out or maybe you got beat on this rep. You've just got to bounce back."'
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-okoye&prov=ap&type=lgns
old-timer to "mentor" the younger guys like some have been for McCardell, here's a perfect example of how one of our younger guys, actually very young, can step-up to fulfil the mentor role.Some of our new players are 21-22 years old. Our newest #1 is now 20. They may listen more to someone closer to their age than 30+ players. Depends on the guys I guess. I think we have a good age mixture this season. You can learn from anyone.

Double Barrel
06-12-2007, 11:14 AM
old-timer to "mentor" the younger guys like some have been for McCardell, here's a perfect example of how one of our younger guys, actually very young, can step-up to fulfil the mentor role.

Mario is way too young to be a mentor. A leader....maybe...but mentor? We need to bring some old dude making a minimum salary, because only those players can be "true mentors". :shades: [/sarcasm]

Can the off-season move any slower.....?

nunusguy
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Mario is way too young to be a mentor. A leader....maybe...but mentor? We need to bring some old dude making a minimum salary, because only those players can be "true mentors". :shades: [/sarcasm]

Can the off-season move any slower.....?
I dunno DB, but isn't Mario counseling his rookie teammate here and if so isn't that a form of mentoring ?

Double Barrel
06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I dunno DB, but isn't Mario counseling his rookie teammate here and if so isn't that a form of mentoring ?

Of course. I'm just messin' around because we are hearing a lot of stuff about "mentors" and "leadership" in this very long off-season. I'm just having fun with it.

It is good to hear that Mario is bonding with Okoye, though. Learning each other through friendship helps form the bond that linemen need to create a cohesive unit.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Of course. I'm just messin' around because we are hearing a lot of stuff about "mentors" and "leadership" in this very long off-season. I'm just having fun with it.

It is good to hear that Mario is bonding with Okoye, though. Learning each other through friendship helps form the bond that linemen need to create a cohesive unit.

I would venture to say it also depends on who you chose to look up to or be your mentor. Didn't TJ look up to Robaire Smith? That worked out just lovely.:gun: I truely can't wait to see our defensive front seven in action. :d:

Corrosion
06-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Found something on this today at the CBS site ....

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10217495

The Texans, in his hometown of Houston, visited with him on Tuesday, but they offered only a veteran minimum deal. He's still waiting for something more

Its all about dollars and cents now ..... I think he's well worth the veteran minimum . Where I would envision him seeing the most time is in the slot on 3rd downs or 2nd and long when teams tend to play a lot of zone coverages . He's always had a knack for finding a soft spot in the D and giving the QB a target . He can to continue to do that even if he's lost a step .

the wonger need food
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Found something on this today at the CBS site.

You found a 5-day old article today? Thanks... I guess..

Runner
06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I would venture to say it also depends on who you chose to look up to or be your mentor. Didn't TJ look up to Robaire Smith? That worked out just lovely.

TJ hung with Gary Walker his rookie season.

Second Honeymoon
06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
TJ hung with Gary Walker his rookie season.

yup, not exactly the ideal mentor....maybe Okoye can mentor TJ this year :sarcasm: :texflag:

Il_Bruno
06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
yup, not exactly the ideal mentor....maybe Okoye can mentor TJ this year :sarcasm: :texflag:

might not be as sarcastic as you think...

and thats saying somethin, about both of them

mainly TJ though :shades:

Second Honeymoon
06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
might not be as sarcastic as you think...

and thats saying somethin, about both of them

mainly TJ though :shades:

yeah it was meant to be a little ironic with the use of the sarcasm.

it can even be argued that Okoye could just show TJ up and TJ would be left looking the fool. a rich unemployed fool, but a fool nonetheless.

Lucky
06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
On a segment this morning on KILT 610, Texans GM Rick Smith said that McCardell would not be signed. The Texans extended Keenan an offer, he declined, and the team has decided to move on with the players on the roster, as well as looking at potential cuts by other teams.

I think it's just as well, considering that McCardell didn't show much in '06, his 16th season. Green Bay's Robert Ferguson and Denver's Quincy Morgan are a couple of wideouts who could be on the bubble to make their respective squads.

HOU-TEX
06-14-2007, 10:24 AM
On a segment this morning on KILT 610, Texans GM Rick Smith said that McCardell would not be signed. The Texans extended Keenan an offer, he declined, and the team has decided to move on with the players on the roster, as well as looking at potential cuts by other teams.

I think it's just as well, considering that McCardell didn't show much in '06, his 16th season. Green Bay's Robert Ferguson and Denver's Quincy Morgan are a couple of wideouts who could be on the bubble to make their respective squads.

I wouldn't mind having Ferguson. Why would GB not keep him?

badboy
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I sure hope Kubes is right on with Walters being the #2

Lucky
06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't mind having Ferguson. Why would GB not keep him?
Ferguson was a Sherman guy, and he's underachieved at Green Bay. The Pack have brought in a lot of young WRs in over the past 2 years, and Ferguson's time might have run out. Of course, Favre could pitch a fit and demand that Ferguson is kept (Driver is the only other vet WR). But, Favre's never been a big fan of Ferguson, either.

I sure hope Kubes is right on with Walters being the #2
McCardell was being considered as a 3rd down WR, not a starter. Basically, it's Walter's job.

badboy
06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Ferguson was a Sherman guy, and he's underachieved at Green Bay. The Pack have brought in a lot of young WRs in over the past 2 years, and Ferguson's time might have run out. Of course, Favre could pitch a fit and demand that Ferguson is kept (Driver is the only other vet WR). But, Favre's never been a big fan of Ferguson, either.

McCardell was being considered as a 3rd down WR, not a starter. Basically, it's Walter's job.On 610 this morning I understood the guys to say that McCardell would be a ligitimate shot for #2. Walter has done nothing to convince me he is #2 material. But he does not have to convince me.

Lucky
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
On 610 this morning I understood the guys to say that McCardell would be a ligitimate shot for #2.
"The guys" meaning Jackson & Ware? I don't think they're used to being up that early. :coffee: Walter is the better blocker, and will always be on the field on 1st down. The key now is to find a slot receiver who can pickup a 1st down. I still think David Anderson could develop into a Brandon Stokley-type 3rd down receiver.

HOU-TEX
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
On 610 this morning I understood the guys to say that McCardell would be a ligitimate shot for #2. Walter has done nothing to convince me he is #2 material. But he does not have to convince me.

I don't think he's really had a chance to show anything. Other than catching darn near everything that came his way last year with some decent YAC. I'm all for giving him his chance. I mean, could he be any worse than what our #2 did last year? crosses fingers while knocking on wood

real
06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I see David Anderson as more of a Wes Welker type player...

Anyone know how many recievers we carried last year ?

Lucky
06-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I see David Anderson as more of a Wes Welker type player...

Anyone know how many recievers we carried last year ?

5 or 6. And Anderson isn't the return threat that Welker has become.

beerlover
06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
speaking of Walker not Texas Ranger, not Wes, thinking outside the box, Darius Walker should be developed in the slot. to get playing time & add some additional complexity to Schaubs outlet receivers. I feel comfortable with depth @ RB Green, Dayne, Taylor, Lundy/Gado so why not use Darius in the slot like the Saints use Bush? his forty speed does not reflect his actuall field speed his main asset are his hands & ability to catch & run in space. just another option for Kubiak & company to explore, maybe implement during training camp.

of course there will be opportunities when other teams make roster moves/cuts just keep your options open internally :)

nunusguy
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I feel comfortable with depth @ RB Green, Dayne, Taylor, Lundy/Gado so why not use Darius in the slot like the Saints use Bush?

Speaking of our RBs, during the NFL-Net mini-camp telecast the guy that looked to be the quickest of the backs that I saw was Taylor, same as last year I guess. But unfortunately for him, looks like he's still got "butter-fingers" because if you saw the program in its entirety you saw Kubiak chewing-out CS for a couple fumbles he made during drills and reminded him that was why he failed to make the squad last year (guess initially he was on the PS).
But he did so in front of the whole team, much as he did with TJ last year when he reprimanded him for dragging his tail and telling him he'd need to put-out more of an effort. Wonder if he picked up that little motivational technique in Denver from Shannahan ?

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Speaking of our RBs, during the NFL-Net mini-camp telecast the guy that looked to be the quickest of the backs that I saw was Taylor, same as last year I guess. But unfortunately for him, looks like he's still got "butter-fingers" because if you saw the program in its entirety you saw Kubiak chewing-out CS for a couple fumbles he made during drills and reminded him that was why he failed to make the squad last year (guess initially he was on the PS).
But he did so in front of the whole team, much as he did with TJ last year when he reprimanded him for dragging his tail and telling him he'd need to put-out more of an effort. Wonder if he picked up that little motivational technique in Denver from Shannahan ?

I was seeing the same thing with Taylor. I thought he was looking good... and then Kubiak totally told him to stop dropping the ball.

Ouch.

swtbound07
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
my opinion is that we will be saying kevin walters who in about week 4 when jacoby jones locks up that spot.

badboy
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
"The guys" meaning Jackson & Ware? I don't think they're used to being up that early. :coffee: Walter is the better blocker, and will always be on the field on 1st down. The key now is to find a slot receiver who can pickup a 1st down. I still think David Anderson could develop into a Brandon Stokley-type 3rd down receiver.Andre Davis was also mentioned as a do it now or forever hold your piece for slot.

badboy
06-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't think he's really had a chance to show anything. Other than catching darn near everything that came his way last year with some decent YAC. I'm all for giving him his chance. I mean, could he be any worse than what our #2 did last year? crosses fingers while knocking on wood
Can anyone say Jabbar Gaffney & he left.

badboy
06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
speaking of Walker not Texas Ranger, not Wes, thinking outside the box, Darius Walker should be developed in the slot. to get playing time & add some additional complexity to Schaubs outlet receivers. I feel comfortable with depth @ RB Green, Dayne, Taylor, Lundy/Gado so why not use Darius in the slot like the Saints use Bush? his forty speed does not reflect his actuall field speed his main asset are his hands & ability to catch & run in space. just another option for Kubiak & company to explore, maybe implement during training camp.

of course there will be opportunities when other teams make roster moves/cuts just keep your options open internally :)I like Lundy more so than Gado despite the latter connections. I would not be opposed to Darius as a slot who should have the leg strength to maybe break an initial tackle. That scenario keeps another RB handy at a younger age and lower salary, too. Nothing seems to address that speed guy to head down field and open up AJ a bit more. I just don't see any TC cuts that will help us.

HOU-TEX
06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Can anyone say Jabbar Gaffney & he left.

What do you mean? Are you saying Gaffney never had a chance either? Gaffney had several chances to become a good WR. He was never very good. I'd take Walter over Gaffney even having seen very little of Walter.

I don't think I'll ever forget Carr bouncing a ball off the back of Gaffneys head. Or the time Gaffney began his celebration a little early fumbling the ball out of the endzone.:bat:

real
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
And Anderson isn't the return threat that Welker has become.

I know...I just mean from the slot position...

badboy
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
What do you mean? Are you saying Gaffney never had a chance either? Gaffney had several chances to become a good WR. He was never very good. I'd take Walter over Gaffney even having seen very little of Walter.

I don't think I'll ever forget Carr bouncing a ball off the back of Gaffneys head. Or the time Gaffney began his celebration a little early fumbling the ball out of the endzone.:bat:
I meant that Gafney had a reputation of "catching everything that came close to him" and is no longer on team. You can pick out a bumbled play like getting hit in helmet by most receivers. Look, I am not dogging Walters. I like his size and his hands. I just don't see him at #2 and I'm not alone. I want someone that can open up the field for Andre & that is not Walters. Gaffney's lowest reception year with Texans was 2003 with 34. In 2005 he had over 50. How do you compare Walters to that? Despite what Kubes said about wishing he had more plays directed to Walters, do you think Carr would not have thrown to him if he had been open? I think when Kevin was brought aboard many said he was a clone of Gaffney.

HOU-TEX
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I meant that Gafney had a reputation of "catching everything that came close to him" and is no longer on team. You can pick out a bumbled play like getting hit in helmet by most receivers. Look, I am not dogging Walters. I like his size and his hands. I just don't see him at #2 and I'm not alone. I want someone that can open up the field for Andre & that is not Walters. Gaffney's lowest reception year with Texans was 2003 with 34. In 2005 he had over 50. How do you compare Walters to that? Despite what Kubes said about wishing he had more plays directed to Walters, do you think Carr would not have thrown to him if he had been open? I think when Kevin was brought aboard many said he was a clone of Gaffney.

I never heard of Gaffney having a reputation like that. You have it quoted so can you tell me who has said it or provide a link to it? IIRC, in 2005 Andre was hurt for several games making Gaffney the #1 WR. Which is the reason he had that many receptions.

How do you know Walter can't become the #2 to take pressure off Dre? The guy hasn't had a chance.

Do I really need to answer the last bolded comment? Do you think Carr would've even noticed Walter was on the field unless it was a direct playcall to throw to him?

Once again, you're putting words in peoples mouths. Who said he was a "clone of Gaffney"?

Double Barrel
06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Gaffney had several chances to become a good WR. He was never very good.

I disagree.

Sincerely,

Tom Brady

HOU-TEX
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I disagree.

Sincerely,

Tom Brady

Well, I wonder why they brought in so many WRs this off-season. Do you honestly think Gaffney will make the Patriots squad this year?

Double Barrel
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, I wonder why they brought in so many WRs this off-season. Do you honestly think Gaffney will make the Patriots squad this year?

I honestly have no idea, but he did look good in the playoffs last year.

Sure, having an elite QB throw the balls helps, but he's still got to catch them just the same.

Tulip
06-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Despite what Kubes said about wishing he had more plays directed to Walters, do you think Carr would not have thrown to him if he had been open?

I can confidently answer yes to that question. I saw Walters open in David's giant middle-of-the-field blind spot more than once.

HOU-TEX
06-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I honestly have no idea, but he did look good in the playoffs last year.

Sure, having an elite QB throw the balls helps, but he's still got to catch them just the same.

Yeah, he did do pretty good in the playoffs. He also caught a ball against us for a TD.

I still think he'll be lucky to see the field this year, if even the team.

Lucky
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
That's a good point. I wonder if the Pats will keep Gaffney after trading for Moss and signing Stallworth & Washington. Jabar is under contract this year for only $595K.

A year away from the Texans made Gaffney a better player. He always had the tools and he finally began to put it together late last season. I would consider giving the a late round pick for Jabar. He's pretty much what the Texans need in a slot receiver.

mexican_texan
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
That's a good point. I wonder if the Pats will keep Gaffney after trading for Moss and signing Stallworth & Washington. Jabar is under contract this year for only $595K.

A year away from the Texans made Gaffney a better player. He always had the tools and he finally began to put it together late last season. I would consider giving the a late round pick for Jabar. He's pretty much what the Texans need in a slot receiver.
I don't expect Washington to stay.

Overalls
06-15-2007, 07:55 AM
I liked Jabbar. Didn't like it when he was cut. However any one remember that TD we didn't get becuase he sarted celibrating before he crossed the goal line and the ball came out of his hand. Unless somebody that is a CLEAR upgrade over what we have becomes a FA, I would just as soon rather see what Walters and Jones etc have. I have faith that Schaub will be able to find the open man and make any of them look better than we are used to seeing.

Tulip
06-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Pasquerelli: Redskins in talks with McCardell

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2909774

Since he resides in Houston and might be a starter there opposite standout wide receiver Andre Johnson, most felt McCardell would sign with the Texans, who continue to hold open a roster spot for him. But the Redskins became involved with McCardell in recent days and remain a viable alternative for him.

drewmar74
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm almost hoping that we don't sign him and give Jacoby Jones and KW a solid chance to produce.

And am I correct in assuming that if he did sign (and survived TC) that he'd be looked at as a WR3?

McCardell = Moulds v2.0?