PDA

View Full Version : Chronic: Texans' Robinson acting as mentor for rookie Bennett

Texans34Life
06-01-2007, 02:13 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4853086.html

"Fred was one of those guys I mentored in college, and I'm trying to do the same thing here," Robinson said. "I remember when I was a rookie, AG (Aaron Glenn) was out here helping me out after practice. I just try to come out here and watch the younger guys and give them any pointers I can because I once was in that situation."

It's the first time Robinson has really felt comfortable in that role as a Texan, and Bennett is appreciative. The fourth-round pick in April's draft is constantly on Robinson's heels. Bennett asks questions on the field and in the locker room. He sits next to Robinson in all team meetings, mimicking how Robinson takes notes and watches film.

The coaches have noticed Bennett shadowing Robinson, and they like it.

"If Fred pays attention, he can learn a lot from Rob," Texans defensive backs coach Jon Hoke said. "A lot of the positive things like how to be a pro, how to take notes, how to work those types of things."

Unlike early in his career at South Carolina, the Texans' coaches are intrigued by Bennett's size. At 6-1, 195 pounds, Bennett has quick hands and good speed.

He broke up 24 passes and had nine interceptions during his college career. If he continues improving, Bennett could challenge Jamar Fletcher for the job at nickel back this season.

"He's long and he's tall, and its hard to find corners over 6 foot in this league that still have the feet and stuff to play out there," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "In our division, playing against a bunch of three wides, we need a player like that. He's been impressive.

Mr teX
06-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Really, did none of you see this coming the minute he was picked out of SC?

Marcus
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
"He wasn't one of those guys that came in and said, 'I'm good. I know how to do everything. I don't need any help,' " Robinson said. "He wanted help and he got help. I respected that from a guy like him."

Too bad Jerome Mathis doesn't have that type of attitude.:twocents:

Double Barrel
06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
These two CBs could really make a big difference for us, especially if our D-line can consistently apply some pressure to the pocket. Coverage is only going to be as good as the weakest player, and the longer they have to cover, the more likely that it will break down.

Is Bennett going for the 2nd slot against Faggins? Or is Petey penciled in until he fails to prove himself?

TK_Gamer
06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
These two CBs could really make a big difference for us, especially if our D-line can consistently apply some pressure to the pocket. Coverage is only going to be as good as the weakest player, and the longer they have to cover, the more likely that it will break down.

Is Bennett going for the 2nd slot against Faggins? Or is Petey penciled in until he fails to prove himself?

I seen a quote by Kubiak that said he was going for the nickel spot, insinuating that Petey has the CB2 locked unless he blows it. Personally I think Petey is a darn good nickel but not CB2 material, but I guess we have to wait and see. Either way, he will push Petey to play better, and the cream will rise to the top.

real
06-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Kubiak said that if Bennet continues to improve he could challenge Jamar Fletcher for the nickel spot.

nero THE zero
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Kubiak said that if Bennet continues to improve he could challenge Jamar Fletcher for the nickel spot.

Do you have a link? If you are drawing that conclusion from this article, you should notice that it is the writer's speculation, not a quote from Kubiak.

badboy
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Do you have a link? If you are drawing that conclusion from this article, you should notice that it is the writer's speculation, not a quote from Kubiak.It was in the Houston Chronicle today, but I do not know how to link from the paper and too lazy to look for it on internet.

badboy
06-01-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4853086.html
Be nice if Dunte could have a little better season this year himself.

real
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Do you have a link? If you are drawing that conclusion from this article, you should notice that it is the writer's speculation, not a quote from Kubiak.

You're right...my bad...

But in the end, it's really not relevant whether Kubiak said it or the writer...

The point is that as of right now he's the fourth or fifth corner...

No one knows how he'll play in pre-season AKA game situations...not even Kubiak..

badboy
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
You're right...my bad...

But in the end, it's really not relevant whether Kubiak said it or the writer...

The point is that as of right now he's the fourth or fifth corner...

No one knows how he'll play in pre-season AKA game situations...not even Kubiak..We still be looking might weak on that side of the defense.