PDA

View Full Version : Pocket fuel: Schaub, Houston look to liftoff

Tailgate
05-31-2007, 06:39 PM
This is a great read by Ryan Fagan of the SportingNews:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=215682

That's improvisation at its best, and it's a skill Johnson will put to good use when he's trying to flash open as Schaub scrambles to avoid the pass rush that has long been the cattle prod in the Texans' side. The duo's methods -- and settings -- of communication have improved since the getting-to-know-you call in Miami, and the Schaub-to-Johnson combo could be just what inches the Texans toward their first playoff berth. The new teammates have been throwing and catching two to three times per week since April 2, and by now they've connected on "more passes than I could even ballpark a guess on," Schaub says.

The first thing Johnson noticed about Schaub was his confidence -- how comfortable he looked in the pocket, how he never hesitated with his reads or his passes. "One thing about him, he's going to go out and try to make a play," Johnson says. "He's not going to be real indecisive; he's going to make things happen."

nunusguy
05-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Very nice story about Schaub. Very upbeat.
We seem to be getting a run of positive press lately. I dunno, but maybe before long ESPN will be calling us "those lovable Texans" ? Nah, probably not !

Tailgate
05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Very nice story about Schaub. Very upbeat.
We seem to be getting a run of positive press lately. I dunno, but maybe before long ESPN will be calling us "those lovable Texans" ? Nah, probably not !

Nah... instead of negative press. We will just start to wonder why we dont have any press at all.

whiskeyrbl
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Nice read, can't wait for TC to start.:texflag:

maddogmrb
06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Do we have a game this weekend? Darn! Using virtual reality we should be able to take the players from OTA and project them into a game against some other team. Will somebody get to work on it?

Wolfiegrrl
06-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Isn't that what Madden 07 is for? I know 08 will be out shortly. :user:

valleytexfan
06-03-2007, 02:33 AM
What a great read!! Go Matt!!

bckey
06-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I had forgotten Schaub had come from the 2004 draft class. Manning, Rivers, Roethlisburger, Losman, and Schaub. And to think that the Texans could have drafted Bob Sanders in the 2nd and Schaub in the 3rd instead of trading up for Babin. Casserly was one sorry GM. I know its hindsight but a lot of us Texan fans were upset over that trade up when it happened.

Double Barrel
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Isn't that what Madden 07 is for? I know 08 will be out shortly. :user:

Boycott Madden and their Vince Young love affair.

Go subversive and fight the man. Buy All-Pro Football 2K8 (http://2ksports.com/games/football2k8/)!!

The first thing Johnson noticed about Schaub was his confidence -- how comfortable he looked in the pocket, how he never hesitated with his reads or his passes. "One thing about him, he's going to go out and try to make a play," Johnson says. "He's not going to be real indecisive; he's going to make things happen."

uh-oh, looks like the PR department has gotten to AJ now. These qualities sound a lot like....ummmm....leadership skills. :spy:

real
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Go subversive and fight the man. Buy All-Pro Football 2K8 (http://2ksports.com/games/football2k8/)!!

uh-oh, looks like the PR department has gotten to AJ now. These qualities sound a lot like....ummmm....leadership skills. :spy:

That's not AJ...

The PR department has instead contacted those Asian scientist that make drones, and had one built of every player and coach. Only thing is they only had enough memory to program them to say "Schaub is a leader". All of this is evidence of their efforts to slowly take over the world one interview at a time.

By the way--"Schaub is a leader"

Malloy
06-08-2007, 12:56 PM
That's not AJ...

The PR department has instead contacted those Asian scientist that make drones, and had one built of every player and coach. Only thing is they only had enough memory to program them to say "Schaub is a leader". All of this is evidence of their efforts to slowly take over the world one interview at a time.

And I thought I started drinking early! :)

Texans_Chick
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
That's not AJ...

I guess I should pull this one out again:

"Matt Schaub for President" (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/22/matt-schaub-for-president/)

In part...

So in other words, he's trying to get chemistry with his teammates, come in early and stay late, bla bla blah. Basically, everything that someone that a NFL quarterback is expected to do. Why is this news? The obvious implied subtext is that this is in contrast to David Carr, who is reputed not to be a good leader and is happy to be on the bench in Carolina.

Though I certainly recognize the importance of leadership to the quarterback position, I am starting to see this coverage as almost comically exaggerated.

That before he takes a snap as Texans starting QB, Schaub is such a leader that the U.S. Constitution should be changed to lower the age limit for President. (And perhaps if Carr had been more of a leader, he wouldn't have been sacked so much, and there would be peace in the Middle East?) It just seems to me that all the Matt Schaub as leader articles are laying it on a little thick for a QB who is just doing the things that QBs are supposed to do.

Too bad the video isn't working well. The YouTubes are acting wonky today. Because the video would demonstrate that neither Schaub or McClain have particularly presidential hair. I don't either, so it isn't like I'm really dissing them. Most PoTUSs have politican hair.

real
06-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I guess I should pull this one out again:

"Matt Schaub for President" (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/22/matt-schaub-for-president/)

If someone has a big black mole on their face when describing that person to someone else, the mole will probably be the first thing you mention...

If someone wears a size 22 shoe, you will probably describe that person as "the guy with the big feet"...

Maybe, just maybe, Schaub IS a great leader...Maybe how he carries himself is the first thing you notice about him.....Add that to the fact that our previous QB didn't score too highly in that department, and we lived through that for the past 5 years and you get everyone talking about his poise and leadership...

The team is still getting used to each other and they haven't even seen Schaub in 'real' action...Are they supposed to talk about how well he stands in the pocket with defenders in his face ? Maybe they don't have much else to say about him right now....YOu know they used to talk about how good our previous QB looked in shorts around this time a year...all the while never mentioning his leadership or poise...how ironic now that we have a QB the has those or atleast portrays those attributes we have fans complaining...phhhh

Maybe he IS a great leader + our previous QB wasn't + they don't have anything else to say at this point because they haven't seen much else + it's one of his most prominent attributes at this point = hearing everyone talking about it...

I honestly think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. I understand wanting to hear some other news about other parts of the team but blame the reporters asking about Schaub and then writting what the players or coaches say. It's not like A.J or Kubiak are flagging the reporters down screaming "hey....hey.....let me tell you about my boy Matt Schaub's leadership again!!!!" And it's not like the reporters are asking them about other parts of the team and they're like "dude are you serious....I wanna talk more about SCHAUB!!"

Double Barrel
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
And then there are those of us that actually like hearing positive reports about the Texans, even if it is 'fluff' pieces about a very important aspect of our offense. (I got tired of hearing about haircuts in previous years, but failed to rant and rave about the subject. I just ignored the discussions instead.)

The term "leadership" is just a catch phrase for a lot of the responsibilities that a QB should have to run an offense. For instance, hearing how Schaub understands every position's assignments, from the WR down to the linemen, is something that I like to learn about our signal caller. These are intangible qualities that lay a foundation.

Perhaps these things are something "that a NFL quarterback is expected to do". And maybe that's why it's news in Houston. :howdy:

powerfuldragon
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
The YouTubes are acting wonky today.

yeah, what's with youtube today? they changed their player interface or something recently, and now today youtube.com is running awfully slow. also, i miss tony banks.

Second Honeymoon
06-08-2007, 02:17 PM
its probably really refreshing to finally have a QB that actually cares and is willing to do what it takes to win. when they talk about Schaub's leadership they are in essence speaking of DC's lack thereof. its obvious this guy is more in tune with his fellow players, more professional, more dedicated, and a MUCH BETTER teammate in general.

Needless to say, I am stoked about this season. Our first season of Texans football with a real QB and not some sorry excuse of a football player.

...at least he had fun....well he can fun off for all i care.

If the media keeps asking 'what is the most obvious difference between DC and MS?' the media shouldn't complain when they say 'leadership' when the season hasn't even started yet.

Second Honeymoon
06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
yeah, what's with youtube today? they changed their player interface or something recently, and now today youtube.com is running awfully slow. also, i miss tony banks.

it's now being run with a 'bottom line' now that Corporate America has taken it over. Soon most videos will be preceded by ads. Thanks....not.

Texans_Chick
06-08-2007, 02:19 PM
And then there are those of us that actually like hearing positive reports about the Texans, even if it is 'fluff' pieces about a very important aspect of our offense. (I got tired of hearing about haircuts in previous years, but failed to rant and rave about the subject. I just ignored the discussions instead.)

The term "leadership" is just a catch phrase for a lot of the responsibilities that a QB should have to run an offense. For instance, hearing how Schaub understands every position's assignments, from the WR down to the linemen, is something that I like to learn about our signal caller. These are intangible qualities that lay a foundation.

Perhaps these things are something "that a NFL quarterback is expected to do". And maybe that's why it's news in Houston. :howdy:

It's...just...a...little awkward.

If the video can work again, when John McClain asks him about the leadership thing and calling teammates, it just sounds a bit forced and crafted.

powerfuldragon
06-08-2007, 02:21 PM
a bit? :D

eriadoc
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
In an effort to lend even more credibility to preseason intangibles-type discussion .....

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/players/David_Carr/

Tough, mature, intelligent signal caller with tremendous poise and confidence. Has better-than-adequate arm strength and can put some zip on deep balls. Reads defenses well and makes sound decisions with the ball. Is usually accurate and runs well enough to escape the blitz. Can really take a pounding. Is becoming a gritty leader.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/2002/week06.html (Players of the Game)

The numbers may look somewhat pedestrian, but for a rookie playing in his first game, David Carr had the poise and confidence of a veteran. He consistently threw passes that only his receivers could catch, stood up to a relentless pass rush and made 4 or 5 "Canton on line 2" throws, including the beauty to Bradford for the game winner.

Just sayin' .... it's a bit early to be talking about intangibles just yet. Or, if you prefer, a quote from Winston Wolf - "Let's not start ...." ... well, never mind that ;)

Second Honeymoon
06-08-2007, 02:32 PM

If the video can work again, when John McClain asks him about the leadership thing and calling teammates, it just sounds a bit forced and crafted.

you mean how like how the Texans players sounded when they would be asked questions about DC's abyssmal performance of the last 5 years?

umm...yeah....David has....*cough*...all the tools to...be a great...*scratches head*...QB for us?...*perplexed gaze at camera*

...we all just need *cocks pistol and puts barrel in mouth*...we just need..to do...a better job...executing the...gameplan....

....did I say execute...i did?..great..I must be going now...*turns back to locker*

badboy
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM

uh-oh, looks like the PR department has gotten to AJ now. These qualities sound a lot like....ummmm....leadership skills. :spy: Uh, wasn't it decided that AJ does not have leadership/mentoring skills? (sarcasm)

real
06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
In an effort to lend even more credibility to preseason intangibles-type discussion .....

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/players/David_Carr/

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/2002/week06.html (Players of the Game)

Just sayin' .... it's a bit early to be talking about intangibles just yet. Or, if you prefer, a quote from Winston Wolf - "Let's not start ...." ... well, never mind that ;)

So you use articles from writers ?

There is a difference between coaches and teammates talking about a player vs. a journalist....c'mon...be serious...

powerfuldragon
06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
So you use articles from writers ?

There is a difference between coaches and teammates talking about a player vs. a journalist....c'mon...be serious...

right, but coaches and teammates aren't often going to make disparaging remarks about a fellow teammate... that's the journalists job.

real
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Maybe...

Double Barrel
06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
That's the thing, has our collective mindsets been so damaged or misaligned that we can't talk about potential for our new QB?

We seem so darn cynical now. Schaub has to "prove himself" before anything positive can be said. He has to prove he is worthy of our support.

But we willingly gave that same support (and hyperbole) to our previous QB, and I suppose I just don't understand why we can't afford the same to MS during this very slow news period where we are allowed to be blindingly optimistic.

For all I, or anyone else knows, Matt could be a big fat bust. Should I just take that negative angle until proven otherwise?

p.s.
Overthrows some receivers and will put too much mustard on the short passes. Doesn't have a standard delivery and will have some passes batted. Forced some passes and gets picked off too often.

Still holds true. ;)

real
06-08-2007, 02:42 PM
right, but coaches and teammates aren't often going to make disparaging remarks about a fellow teammate... that's the journalists job.

What does that have to do with anything ?

powerfuldragon
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
What does that have to do with anything ?
not much :D

real
06-08-2007, 03:02 PM
not much :D

Had no idea who you were 'til I just read your sig...

powerfuldragon
06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Had no idea who you were 'til I just read your sig...

who's this noob with 4k posts?

real
06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
who's this noob with 4k posts?

LOL...that's exactly what I was thinking....

Double Barrel
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Formerly PowerfulDragon = CabbageFerguson

Thanks for the heads up. :um: