PDA

View Full Version : Walter has hands on Texans #2 reciever job

real
05-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4842851.html)

http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/11/19/6454253/311xInlineGallery.jpg

In the first two weeks of organized team activities, Walter's play stood out to Kubiak. He made some big catches on the field and also showed the work ethic for which he's becoming known.
"Kevin is a go-getter," Schaub said. "He wants to get better. He's a hard-worker, and he gives 110 percent every single play no matter what he's doing, whether he's running a route or blocking. He's a guy you want on your side."
With Walter starting opposite Johnson, the Texans have a young receiving corps. André Davis and Charlie Adams are 27, Walter and Johnson are 25, Jerome Mathis and David Anderson are 23, and Jacoby Jones is 22.
Walter is sticking closest to Johnson, trying to absorb all he can from the two-time Pro Bowler. Walter did the same when he was playing alongside Chad Johnson and Houshmandzadeh.
"Andre is a class-act on and off the field," Walter said. "He works extremely hard, and I'm just working to try to be like him."
That's exactly what Kubiak wants to hear.
"It's very important, him and Andre working side by side," Kubiak said. "You know what you're going to get from (Andre). You're never going to get anything out of his mouth other than, 'What do you want me to do?' The more guys we've got like that, the more ground we're going to make up."

Decent read...Not much thta wasn't already known...:texflag:

It's nice to hear that he's been looking good so far though...

GuerillaBlack
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I hope he is as good as the article says. I wanted Jacoby Jones to get a shot at being the number 2. I think he could do it.

badboy
05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
When it shakes out, I think Walter will be back at slot. I am pulling for Mathis or Jacoby for #2 WR.

powerfuldragon
05-29-2007, 01:23 PM
no way mathis will be the #2 receiver.

badboy
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
no way mathis will be the #2 receiver.Yes, he can. No, he can't. Yes, he can. Your opinion. My opinion. Mathis can heal from hamstring (Kubes mentioned this in an article in paper over holiday weekend). He has the speed and by 2-3 games into season, it is possible he will be at WR opposite AJ. He needs to work on catching ball and routes, but it is very possible. It is just as possible he might not make the roster.

real
05-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Ok...yeah....I'm thinking Mathis won't even work his way up to be the fourth reciever and may not even be the fifth...Of course that's JMO...

I'm thinking Walters locks down #2 pretty easily...

05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
WALTER... not walters.

it's just walter.

badboy
05-29-2007, 01:50 PM
WALTER... not walters.

it's just walter.Another punctuation expert. Great...

05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Another punctuation expert. Great...

punctuation doesnt apply for names. it gets annoying... sorry.

Specnatz
05-29-2007, 02:12 PM

OK so if someone kept calling Okyie it would be ok?

Learn the guys name, it is not that hard. We all gave DB a hard time about spelling Schaub's name and he took and laughed abou it.

Besaides it should be ..

Another punctuation expert(comma), Great. :sarcasm:

Chance_C
05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
WALTER... not walters.

it's just walter

This is worthy of it's own thread....:cool:

real
05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I apologize for mispelling Walter's name...

05-29-2007, 03:14 PM

haha, it's alright, it's nothing personal. :cool:

HuttoKarl
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM

Just don't let it happen again!

:whip: :fans: :whip:

The Pencil Neck
05-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Add an extra letter to your name.

Is it still your name?

Mr teX
05-29-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't know how i feel about this yet...... i've got to see him in the preseason. Anyone know how his speed is?

badboy
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
OK so if someone kept calling Okyie it would be ok?

Learn the guys name, it is not that hard. We all gave DB a hard time about spelling Schaub's name and he took and laughed abou it.

Besaides it should be ..

Another punctuation expert(comma), Great. :sarcasm:Yes, oh great expert and it is "besides" not what you wrote or 'about' rather than 'abou'. All I am saying is lighten up dudes. Adding an 's' on the guy's name isn't a crime. If it is a sore spot for you maybe it is your issue. We are here to discuss sports not grammatical issues that just may have been an oversight or typo as YOURS probably was. Sheesh!

TexanAddict
05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't know how i feel about this yet...... i've got to see him in the preseason. Anyone know how his speed is?

4.56 in the 40 according to nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/walter_kevin).

real
05-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Personally I think Walters is going to be good...I don't know about anything past that, but I do think he'll prove to be a solid #2....

I think he pretty much caught everything thrown his way last year (though his opprotunities were limited), he has good size, decent speed...

Cincy had a lot of talented recievers over there and from all accounts he was considered a reciever with lots of potential coming up in their system...He's played with T.J and Chad and now he gets to play with A.J so he's definitely had guys to look up to that know how to play the game...

Besides that, everyone seems to rave about his work ethic...Work ethic will take you a very long way, even if you have limited skills....

drewmar74
05-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Is it possible that Kubiak & Co. look at KW and see something roughly akin to Wayne Chrebet? Tough, hard worker, catches everything?

Kaiser Toro
05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Is it possible that Kubiak & Co. look at KW and see something roughly akin to Wayne Chrebet? Tough, hard worker, catches everything?

Based on his role, size and skills they see a McCaffrey type in my opinion.

edo783
05-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Based on his role, size and skills they see a McCaffrey type in my opinion.

If he is as tough and makes the hard catch like Ed did, we will be in tall cotton.

ledzeppelin229
05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
If he is as tough and makes the hard catch like Ed did, we will be in tall cotton.

Never heard that one before...

mexican_texan
05-29-2007, 10:13 PM
K-Dub was a first down machine last year. He's one of the Texans' best kept secret.

The Pencil Neck
05-29-2007, 11:54 PM
K-Dub was a first down machine last year. He's one of the Texans' best kept secret.

If I've said it once, I've said it maybe 5-6 times. 17 catches and 12 first downs.

And I think he was open more than that.

TK_Gamer
05-30-2007, 08:28 AM
If I've said it once, I've said it maybe 5-6 times. 17 catches and 12 first downs.

I think you have to look at the situation, if it was 2 and 8 most of the time or was it 3rd and 15, cuz honestly most passes are 10 to 15 yards, so you should get first downs most of the time. just saying maybe you can read to much into stats like that.

badboy
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM

We have a QB with minimal plays last year throwing to a receiver with minimal plays last year. At least neither should be too tired.

infantrycak
05-30-2007, 10:08 AM
cuz honestly most passes are 10 to 15 yards, so you should get first downs most of the time.

Not in Houston they haven't been. He who will not be named averaged 9 yards per reception last year.

Andre Johnson got a 1st down 33% of the time he was targeted, Moulds 42%, Walter 57%. Of course a lot of that has to do with play selection and QB choices but Walter put himself into positions where even HWWNBN found him and pulled the trigger to get the 1st down.

Maddict5
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
i think he'll do very well with the defence focused on johnsons :)

TK_Gamer
05-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Not in Houston they haven't been. He who will not be named averaged 9 yards per reception last year.

Andre Johnson got a 1st down 33% of the time he was targeted, Moulds 42%, Walter 57%. Of course a lot of that has to do with play selection and QB choices but Walter put himself into positions where even HWWNBN found him and pulled the trigger to get the 1st down.

well by those numbers maybe he should be going for the WR1 spot not the 2. I think you know what I meant. On most teams. you cant use the Texans for an example of the league in any category. but hey, hopefully Walter will go to the pro bowl this year.

The Pencil Neck
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I think you have to look at the situation, if it was 2 and 8 most of the time or was it 3rd and 15, cuz honestly most passes are 10 to 15 yards, so you should get first downs most of the time. just saying maybe you can read to much into stats like that.

I like two statistics related to him from last year. The first is the high percentage of first downs. The second is that he caught 80% of the passes thrown to him. When I think back and remember Kevin Walter's plays, I remember him making big first down grabs in traffic. I like that.

The statistics I don't like related to him is that he was only averaging 3 yards after catch and he was only getting about 9 yards per catch. And he fumbled once (although I don't remember the play.)

I think the kid's got a lot of guts and works hard and I'm interested in seeing how he responds to more responsibility. He came to the Texans last year expecting to be a #2 and lost the job to Moulds. I want to see what he can do. I think he could be really good in tandem with AJ. We can use KW for the possession stuff and then vary how we use AJ.

michaelm
05-30-2007, 11:43 PM

It's not really a punctuation issue, but we get your point, bandboy...

TheRealJoker
05-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Im excited about Walter getting a chance to prove that he can be a WR 2 in the NFL this year. Im hoping that since Schaub's strength is reading defenses that he'll spread the ball around more than DC and hopefully that allows a guy like Walter to stepup and become a breakout player this year.

taxman
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM

He wasn't invited to the combine, However, Walter ran a 4.47 and 4.43 at his pro day.

taxman
06-01-2007, 04:02 PM

He wasn't invited to the combine, However, Walter ran a 4.47 and 4.43 at his pro day.

badboy
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
It's not really a punctuation issue, but we get your point, bandboy...

.We got yours too, Michaela. No big deal as we are talking sports. lol

76Texan
06-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I like two statistics related to him from last year. The first is the high percentage of first downs. The second is that he caught 80% of the passes thrown to him. When I think back and remember Kevin Walter's plays, I remember him making big first down grabs in traffic. I like that.

The statistics I don't like related to him is that he was only averaging 3 yards after catch and he was only getting about 9 yards per catch. And he fumbled once (although I don't remember the play.)

I think the kid's got a lot of guts and works hard and I'm interested in seeing how he responds to more responsibility. He came to the Texans last year expecting to be a #2 and lost the job to Moulds. I want to see what he can do. I think he could be really good in tandem with AJ. We can use KW for the possession stuff and then vary how we use AJ.
Agree that some of the numbers look good. But then we don't know exactly what kind of coverage he was getting. Surely he didn't see as much double teaming as AJ, if any. Sometimes I notice the opponent put the #1 CB on Moulds and double team AJ. I didn't pay much attention to KW, just that he ran mostly shorter route.

In 4 years and 47 receptions, only 3 were for more than 20 yards (20,21,33) and no TD. I don't know if we can read much into those stats, either!

michaelm
06-03-2007, 01:43 AM
We got yours too, Michaela. No big deal as we are talking sports. lol

Just having fun... I was bored and actually went through the alphabet in my head to find an amusing (to me) way to misspell your name.
I am thinking about calling you bandboy from here on out... not because it's insulting, but because I am easily amused, and it still makes me laugh a little... :user:

TK_Gamer
06-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Agree that some of the numbers look good. But then we don't know exactly what kind of coverage he was getting. Surely he didn't see as much double teaming as AJ, if any. Sometimes I notice the opponent put the #1 CB on Moulds and double team AJ. I didn't pay much attention to KW, just that he ran mostly shorter route.

In 4 years and 47 receptions, only 3 were for more than 20 yards (20,21,33) and no TD. I don't know if we can read much into those stats, either!

Exactly, that's all I'm trying to say, with limited reps, and receptions you dont really know what the stats mean. Alot like schaub, I like his work ethic and leadership, but face it, we have very little real evidence of his skills to go by. both of them will be watched intensely, by more than just Texan fans. I hope as most people do that they both do well and our offense picks up this year. Go Texans!

real
06-03-2007, 04:20 AM
Just having fun... I was bored and actually went through the alphabet in my head to find an amusing (to me) way to misspell your name.
I am thinking about calling you bandboy from here on out... not because it's insulting, but because I am easily amused, and it still makes me laugh a little... :user:

I chuckled a bit when I read that too...

No offense ban..er...badboy...

:cowboy1:

whiskeyrbl
06-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Are you kidding me??? Most of our pass plays last year were for 3-5 yard dump offs. Anything over 10 I started considering a bomb. And what I think is the reasoning of the first down comment is that he is a reliable, possesion reciever. I don't think it was mentioned to be a YPC stat.

infantrycak
06-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Are you kidding me??? Most of our pass plays last year were for 3-5 yard dump offs. Anything over 10 I started considering a bomb. And what I think is the reasoning of the first down comment is that he is a reliable, possesion reciever. I don't think it was mentioned to be a YPC stat.

To illustrate this point--HWWNBN averaged 9 yards per reception last year. But wait, of his 2767 yds last year, over half were the 1569 yards after catch by the receivers. So if you work out the average yards in the air per reception, it is about 4 yds.

TK_Gamer
06-03-2007, 08:56 AM

I'm sorry, but if you read the whole post and the accompanying post you would have seen that I was not using the texans as an example of a normal pass offense's average but the average of a normal team. In other words that's what we SHOULD have been getting. you usually run for 4 yds, and pass for 8 to 12 yards. I appologize for my apparent inability to get my point across properly.