PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Mario by CBS Sportsline

Tailgate
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10195551

Front page stuff of the NFL section. Good read... pretty much stresses what we know and expect if healthy. I love positive Texans media.

nunusguy
05-24-2007, 03:29 PM
"Things are much more settled now. The Texans have moved Williams from the left end to the right side on a permanent basis. That's the side for pass rushers on most teams. It's usually where speedy 260-pound players come off the corner. At 6-feet-6 and 290 pounds, Williams is one of the bigger right ends.
To help prepare for the move, and hopefully increase his speed, he has hired a chef to help him with his eating. In the past, he would usually stop for fast food since he didn't really have time to cook. Now he has prepared meals waiting for him when he gets home, mostly healthy stuff. "
Good stuff !
And BTW, few strongside guys (if any?) are in the 290 range, let alone weakside DEs.
The chef is a smart move, far more so than the Lambo.
Maybe he can take 'bout 10 lbs off of Mario ? Yea, I like the sounds of 280
and it'd put a little more spring in that first step.

TexanAddict
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Taking a little weight off might also help keep his feet/toes healthy for the season.

HOU-TEX
05-24-2007, 03:46 PM
"Things are much more settled now. The Texans have moved Williams from the left end to the right side on a permanent basis. That's the side for pass rushers on most teams. It's usually where speedy 260-pound players come off the corner. At 6-feet-6 and 290 pounds, Williams is one of the bigger right ends.
To help prepare for the move, and hopefully increase his speed, he has hired a chef to help him with his eating. In the past, he would usually stop for fast food since he didn't really have time to cook. Now he has prepared meals waiting for him when he gets home, mostly healthy stuff. "
Good stuff !
And BTW, few strongside guys (if any?) are in the 290 range, let alone weakside DEs.
The chef is a smart move, far more so than the Lambo.
Maybe he can take 'bout 10 lbs off of Mario ? Yea, I like the sounds of 280
and it'd put a little more spring in that first step.

Taking a little weight off might also help keep his feet/toes healthy for the season.

I remember it being said last year that he could actually withstand another 10-15 pounds without losing much speed, if any. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but I think he's freak of nature (in a good way) at his present weight.:cool:

real
05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Mario's weight is non-important. I just want to see some quality football out of him.

Blake
05-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I agree that Mario should have his year this year. Just think if we needed a DE this year, and #1 on the board was Gaines Adams.....

Mario Williams vs. Gaines Adams

Not even close.

Tailgate
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Mario's weight is non-important. I just want to see some quality football out of him.

Unless it directly leads to more quality football.

Double Barrel
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I think Mario has the potential to have a great 2nd year, especially with Okoye putting pressure up the middle. Teams will have to account for both of them, and over time and added experience, it could be a duo that is a force to be reckoned with.

Thanks for posting the article! Good to hear some positive news about our team for a change.

real
05-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Unless it directly leads to more quality football.

Yeah I can see where 10 lbs would make a difference--wait, no I can't.

HOU-TEX
05-24-2007, 05:13 PM

You don't think 10lbs of muscle would make a difference? I do:cool:

real
05-24-2007, 05:16 PM
You don't think 10lbs of muscle would make a difference? I do:cool:

No, I don't. Not with Mario.

He needs to work on the finer points of the game at this point. He's already a physical freak. I don't think the loss or gain of 10lbs would make much of a difference. The difference in his game is going to be health, and experience. I could care less if he gained or loss weight.

hollywood_texan
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM

He needs to work on the finer points of the game at this point. He's already a physical freak. I don't think the loss or gain of 10lbs would make much of a difference. The difference in his game is going to be health, and experience. I could care less if he gained or loss weight.

I agree, Mario really needs to develop his technique to become that impact player.

brip
05-24-2007, 05:30 PM
did Babin ever take the LE spot last year are was he only on the RE side. I worked overseas and miss a lot of games. I figured he may be to small for the LE.

HOU-TEX
05-24-2007, 05:30 PM

Health and experience would be the obvious difference in any players game.

Adding 10lbs of muscle would only improve the bull rush he so often used last season. Even if he becomes skilled on other techniques, I can only see it as being beneficial by adding muscle. Granted he wouldn't lose any quickness by adding this muscle.

I think we had this discussion last year too.

real
05-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Health and experience would be the obvious difference in any players game.

Adding 10lbs of muscle would only improve the bull rush he so often used last season. Even if he becomes skilled on other techniques, I can only see benefits from adding muscle. Granted he wouldn't lose any quickness by adding this muscle.

I think we had this discussion last year too.

Just a difference of opinion in this one because I really can't see how adding or gaining 10 pounds directly results in success on the field. To me that would be a rather minor benefit if a benefit at all.

HOU-TEX
05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Just a difference of opinion in this one because I really can't see how adding or gaining 10 pounds directly results in success on the field. To me that would be a rather minor benefit if a benefit at all.

That's cool. Agree to disagree.

With you being an Olineman (or former) I have one last question for you.

You wouldn't think there would be a difference blocking a 300lb DE that was 10-15% stronger than a DE at 290? Given they have comparable quickness.

real
05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
That's cool. Agree to disagree.

With you being an Olineman (or former) I have one last question for you.

You wouldn't think there would be a difference blocking a 300lb DE that was 10-15% stronger than a DE at 290? Given they have comparable quickness.

No not really...

If you can play football you can play football. I've had to block all kinds of DE's...Small quick ones, Big slow ones and mixtures of both. Of course it makes a difference in how you block them, but their size had nothing to do with how good (or bad) they were. Mario can gain his 10 pounds but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't use good technique he'll suck. On the other hand he can stay at exactly the same weight and develop good technique and instincts and be great. I really don't think Mario gaining/los 10 lbs. would make that much of a difference in his performance on Sundays. JMO though.

HOU-TEX
05-24-2007, 06:14 PM
No not really...

If you can play football you can play football. I've had to block all kinds of DE's...Small quick ones, Big slow ones and mixtures of both. Of course it makes a difference in how you block them, but their size had nothing to do with how good (or bad) they were. Mario can gain his 10 pounds but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't use good technique he'll suck. On the other hand he can stay at exactly the same weight and develop good technique and instincts and be great. I really don't think Mario gaining/los 10 lbs. would make that much of a difference in his performance on Sundays. JMO though.

Like I previously stated, I understand that health and technique have a major part in his developement. As it does with any player in the league. I understand that you answered no to the question, but your explaination was kind of 'beat around the bush' like. You never took in account of the added strength and compound it with the weight and speed. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the discussion.:)

nunusguy
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
I agree, Mario really needs to develop his technique to become that impact player.

Absolutely. Learning effective techiques to pass rush is his most
important goal in preparation for playing DE this Fall.
But with Weaver, who is only a mediorce pass rusher, on the strongside Mario's speed and quickness at weakside as the primary pass-rush weapon becomes even more important while fewer double teams involving a TE mean power & size are less important.
I say give me a svelt, lightning-quick 280 pounder (or even in the 270s) who is more reminesent of a Jason Taylor.

infantrycak
05-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I say give me a svelt, lightning-quick 280 pounder (or even in the 270s) who is more reminesent of a Jason Taylor.

I think part of what xtru is getting at is dropping 10 lbs may not make Mario any quicker and adding 10 lbs may not make him effectively any stronger. 10lbs doesn't effect everyone the same way.

nunusguy
05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I think part of what xtru is getting at is dropping 10 lbs may not make Mario any quicker and adding 10 lbs may not make him effectively any stronger. 10lbs doesn't effect everyone the same way.

We all know Mario is more suited to play strongside, some would even say as a DT, than on the weakside. If Mario has the kind of body-fat content of someone like J. Taylor or Jevon Kearsy at his present weight then leave him alone. But if he doesn't or losing a few pounds would elevate his speed just marginally, it might make a difference for him (and us).
Has anybody ever heard of a 290 weakside DE ? That's gotta be a record ?
He will be our best hope for press on the QB.

whiskeyrbl
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Nice to hear positive things about our players. Maybe some of these reporters have noticed what we are doin' with this team. :fans:

brakos82
05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Who knows? Maybe Young and Bush will be known as those other guys.

At least somebody outside of Houston metro sees things from our perspective. :texflag:

Overalls
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
At least somebody outside of Houston metro sees things from our perspective. :texflag:

That would be nice to see.:fans:

Tailgate
05-24-2007, 08:06 PM

I thought the whole point of him getting a chef and eating healthier was to possibly make him quicker? Look... .keeping in shape, eating right, working out, practicing.... its all in the same goal of becoming a better... more of a quality player.

real
05-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Exactly......People have different frames designed for carrying different weights...Dropping weight doesn't automatically make you faster.....Mario already has limited body fat....The guy is in great shape, and already a physical freak....

I'm just saying that Mario's weight(+ or - 10 lbs.), at this point, is something insignificant as to whether he'll be a good football player this coming season....IMHO, very insignificant....

real
05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I thought the whole point of him getting a chef and eating healthier was to possibly make him quicker? Look... .keeping in shape, eating right, working out, practicing.... its all in the same goal of becoming a better... more of a quality player.

I thought the point of Mario getting a chef was because he didn't have time to prepare his own meals and he'd been stopping to get take out.

How is eating right going to make him quicker ?

He's already in shape....I'm pretty positive he already works out....I'm pretty sure he's been practicing....

Of course eating better is going to help him, and he may slim down a bit...but then again he may not...Heck, everybody would like to eat better though right ? Maybe he's just a regular person and he's thinking about being healthy at an old age ? Why does him eating better have to directly correlate to a goal he wants to achieve on the football field ? Maybe he's just like the rest of us and just wants to eat better? except he has millions and can afford a personal chef ?

real
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
We all know Mario is more suited to play strongside, some would even say as a DT, than on the weakside. If Mario has the kind of body-fat content of someone like J. Taylor or Jevon Kearsy at his present weight then leave him alone. But if he doesn't or losing a few pounds would elevate his speed just marginally, it might make a difference for him (and us).
Has anybody ever heard of a 290 weakside DE ? That's gotta be a record ?
He will be our best hope for press on the QB.

I don't really understand the point you're making with Mario's weight...

I think you're assuming that just because he slims down a bit he'll be able to get to the QB faster and IMO, that is wrong. First of all slimming down doesn't neccessarily = faster or quicker; especially when he has little body fat to work with in the first place. Secondly, Mario's training is what would make him a better pass rusher i.e, working on his initial burst, hand placement, angles, footwork, and refining his moves....

I'm just trying to understand why everyone is correlating weight loss, or weight gain directly to his performance....Ten pounds either way is not going to greatly affect his game his football ability IMHO...

TK_Gamer
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I think if anything eating right and exercising more will make him leaner. and I don't care how quick he is now or strong, leaner will make him quicker and at the very least faster. I dont see him gaining nothing from getting healthier, he will benefit one way or another. I'll go out on a limb now though and predict Mario will be 10 to 15 lbs lighter come opening day. as long as he keeps his strength up it will only help him in the pass rush. DT no, losing weight would hurt, but not a RE pass rusher. IMHO

Go MARIO!

nunusguy
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I think you're assuming that just because he slims down a bit he'll be able to get to the QB faster and IMO, that is wrong. First of all slimming down doesn't neccessarily = faster or quicker; especially when he has little body fat to work with in the first place. Secondly, Mario's training is what would make him a better pass rusher i.e, working on his initial burst, hand placement, angles, footwork, and refining his moves....

I'm just trying to understand why everyone is correlating weight loss, or weight gain directly to his performance....Ten pounds either way is not going to greatly affect his game his football ability IMHO...

When Kubiak took over last year, among many other things, he instructed his OLinemen to lose some lbs because he was going to run the ZB system which put a premium on quickness for his Oline. In Marios case, he's changing positions.
Now of course Mario appears to be far more fit than anybody that plays in our OLine, but nevertheless Mario with his move to and semi-permanent assignment to the weakside DE position he now assumes the role of being our most important pass-rusher where quickness is even more important than at all other DLine positions.
Therefor I would like to see a quicker version of Mario (if that's possible?) and if losing a few pounds, without compromising stamina or stength, would buy him just the smallist increment in quickness/speed off the edge then do it. If his weight is as is perfect, then of course don't mess with it. That's all I'm saying.

real
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
When Kubiak took over last year, among many other things, he instructed his OLinemen to lose some lbs because he was going to run the ZB system which put a premium on quickness for his Oline. In Marios case, he's changing positions.
Now of course Mario appears to be far more fit than anybody that plays in our OLine, but nevertheless Mario with his move to and semi-permanent assignment to the weakside DE position he now assumes the role of being our most important pass-rusher where quickness is even more important than at all other DLine positions.
Therefor I would like to see a quicker version of Mario (if that's possible?) and if losing a few pounds, without compromising stamina or stength, would buy him just the smallist increment in quickness/speed off the edge then do it. If his weight is as is perfect, then of course don't mess with it. That's all I'm saying.

Just about everything I've read about Mario places him somewhere near 6-7.5 % body fat.

Comparing him losing weight to an offensive lineman, IMO, isn't much of a comparison.

I'm not saying that I don't want him to lose weight. I'm merely saying I don't care. If it made a difference at all, it wouldn't make near the difference that proper technique, training and experience will make.

That's all I'm saying. Mario losing 10 lbs is rather insignificant IMO.

HOU-TEX
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Just about everything I've read about Mario places him somewhere near 6-7.5 % body fat.

Comparing him losing weight to an offensive lineman, IMO, isn't much of a comparison.

I'm not saying that I don't want him to lose weight. I'm merely saying I don't care. If it made a difference at all, it wouldn't make near the difference that proper technique, training and experience will make.

I partially agree with you. I think if a person loses any weight while having that low of a body fat percentage he will be losing more muscle than fat. IMO, I'd rather see him add weight, if anything, rather than lose any. He's a freak at his weight presently.

TK_Gamer
05-25-2007, 02:34 PM

No not really...

Exactly......People have different frames designed for carrying different weights...Dropping weight doesn't automatically make you faster.....Mario already has limited body fat....The guy is in great shape, and already a physical freak....

I'm just saying that Mario's weight(+ or - 10 lbs.), at this point, is something insignificant as to whether he'll be a good football player this coming season....IMHO, very insignificant....

Let me see if I got this right, what you are trying to say is.....

you don't think Mario losing 10 lbs. is gonna make any difference in his game.
Did I multi-quote you right? :deadhorse

:sarcasm:

:hides:

just messin with ya :)

real
05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Let me see if I got this right, what you are trying to say is.....

you don't think Mario losing 10 lbs. is gonna make any difference in his game.
Did I multi-quote you right? :deadhorse

:sarcasm:

:hides:

just messin with ya :)

LMAO....

It's all good....

P.S...mario losing 10 pounds is insignificant...:cowboy1: IMO.....

TK_Gamer
05-25-2007, 02:38 PM
lol, you allways were consistent rofl

Mario is a Beast! at the very least this just means he's gonna be a healthier Beast!

Go Texans!

ledzeppelin229
05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
The only thing that I think a healthier diet could really help him with is his conditioning (not that its bad right now, but laying off fast food could benefit anyone).

He's already as strong as almost any OL guy out there and much quicker. His deficiencies at the moment are mental/intangible...he's got to go into every play knowing exactly what he wants to do to dominate the lineman in front of him, and then properly execute the moves. He also needs to do the Waterboy trick and get angry at whoever is blocking him..get the adrenaline going on as many plays as possible. He seems a lot like Yao in that respect...they can be good on a regular basis but don't show flashes of greatness until something really pisses them off.

ccdude730
05-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Williams entered this month's organized team activities in better shape than a year ago. He also is making strides in his technique. He is working on improving his footwork and improving the way his hands work with his feet.

The Texans have Williams working exclusively at right end. Last year, he often practiced at various positions on the line. The solitary focus and the addition of this year's first-round pick Amobi Okoye should help Williams improve on his 4 1/2 -sack season.

a new article on mario from the chron (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4838154.html)

it also mentions about mcnair bringing him into his office after the youtube video

TK_Gamer
05-26-2007, 08:45 AM
I like the part about him working on technique and footwork during the offseason, and the workouts don't hurt either. I really think Mario will be the talk of the league this year defensively, and we should get a good preview of things to come from the Mario-Okoye deadly combo. I'm really looking forward to Texans football this year :)

Overalls
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
He was young when he came out and the coaching staff didn't do him any favors by moving him around so much at the begining of the season. If his foot is well and with that season of experience he Should make major strides this season.:d:

powerfuldragon
05-27-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10195551

doesn't say much that we didn't know... claims mario will be an all-pro within five years. foot's better, added okoye, blah blah.

ccdude730
05-27-2007, 05:12 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38821

powerfuldragon
05-27-2007, 05:32 PM
oops/ delete thread please.

Double Barrel
05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Some of the top sackers in the league didn't have big numbers as rookies. Jason Taylor had five for the Dolphins. Michael Strahan had one for the New York Giants. The top two defensive ends in terms of sacks in 2006 were Green Bay's Aaron Kampman with 15½ and Aaron Schobel of the Buffalo Bills with 14. As rookies, Kampman had a half sack and Schobel had 6½.

I think people were making too big of a deal about Mario's first year. All things considered, the position is a hard one to learn, and playing through the foot condition shows a lot about his toughness, work ethic, and dedication to me.

Wolfiegrrl
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I have all the faith in the world that Mario will soon be a dominating force in the NFL. He just has too much upside to call him a bust. He had a lot of things working against him last year. By adding a few more key veteran defensive guys as well as the addition of Amobi, I really think people are going to be eating a lot of crow this year! :texflag:

BattleRedToro
05-28-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree that Mario should have his year this year. Just think if we needed a DE this year, and #1 on the board was Gaines Adams.....

Mario Williams vs. Gaines Adams

Not even close.

If the Texans would have had the luxury of acquiring Gaines Adams then I would guess that the Texans would leave Williams at Strongside and put Adams on the Weakside. That would be a pretty impressive pair of DE's. Of course, that would mean that they wouldn't have the benefit of Amobi Okoye at the 3 technique, either.

Enough with the fantasyland what-ifs, the real questions as far as I see it are how will Anthony Weaver, Jason Babin, and Travis Johnson perform this year, and in what capacity, assuming that all 3 remain Texans?