PDA

View Full Version : Houston Rated 9th Best Super Bowl Location

TexanAddict
05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
9. Houston: A good stadium with a retractable roof -- and some of the greatest Mexican food north of the border -- makes Space City a groovy host.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/05/22/super.cities/index.html)

Not sure if the belongs here mods. Even with their new stadium, I don't think we should rank behind Dallas.

Double Barrel
05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
3. Rome: Commissioner Goodell is floating the idea of playing the game on foreign soil, and we challenge you to find a city on God's great earth greater than the home of the real Colosseum. Please let this happen in my lifetime.

Wha......?! :um:

Sorry, that's just whack....and UN-American, too!!

I don't see how NOLA can top the list, all things considered.

LA shouldn't count, because they can't/won't even support an NFL team.

Miami, New York, and San Diego makes some sense (although early February in NY could be a hard SB without a retractable roof).

It's arguable if Dallas or Phoenix is better than Houston, IMO.

So really we should be in the top 5, as far as I'm concerned. :D

Texan_Bill
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Rome?? Thats just not right to even consider!
New York?? Get a rope!!
Nashville?? In February?!
Seatle?? Brutal
Dallas?? okay, IF they bill the site for the Super Bowl as "North Texas" and not Dallas.

Ones I agree with are San Diego, Miami and New Orleans.

Second Honeymoon
05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
The 'Rome' idea was a troll move so that we would talk about his article. As for NOLA being #1, that is a joke.

my top 5 would be...

miami - san diego - arizona - houston - dallas (would be #3 but to have the events spread around the metropolitan area is a very bad idea)

miami is just a total blast and has the best eye candy IN THE WORLD.

Texan_Bill
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
The 'Rome' idea was a troll move so that we would talk about his article. As for NOLA being #1, that is a joke.

my top 5 would be...

miami - san diego - arizona - houston - dallas (would be #3 but to have the events spread around the metropolitan area is a very bad idea)

miami is just a total blast and has the best eye candy IN THE WORLD.

The only thing I would change about your list is having NOLA 5th instead of Dallas... (Providing NOLA can back to a stage worthy of hosting a SB)...

GuerillaBlack
05-22-2007, 06:06 PM
That Dallas one is complete bull****. They haven't even hosted a SUper Bowl, and their events are being spread out all over the region (some 30 miles away from each other). Good luck with that North Texas. All of Houston's events were in one central location. North Texas is just a region with a bunch of cities that compete with each other. I like how Houston is the main city here. That is why our Super Bowl was so good in 2004.

Dallas isn't even hosting anything except for the NFL Experience.

Texan_Bill
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Technically they (Dallas) still wont be hosting a SB as the new stadium is in Arlington Texas.... :shades:

Texans_Chick
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
My top 10:

Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami

The stadium was really nice. Even being rained on didn't suck because it was warm.

Gorgeous weather, very centralized fun, great atmosphere, great food, *interesting* visuals, totally over the top.

GuerillaBlack
05-22-2007, 06:51 PM
All of Houston evens (including stadium) was within a few miles of each other.

People complained about how "spread out" the events were in Houston despite everything being connected via a 7.5 mile light rail line.

The game was at the southern end.

The NFL experience was set up at the downtown convention center.

Main Street was turned into an outdoor party venue for several blocks (the Main Event).

ESPN set up in the park across from the convention center.

Practices were held at Reliant Center, Rice, and U of Houston with only UH not being connected via rail (UH is just about 3 miles southeast of downtown).

Having the game in Arlington, one team in Fort Worth, one in Irving, most events in downtown Dallas, and all points inbetween will be a logistical nightmare. Be prepared to hear about how difficult it was to get around, how so few things were centered, how Texas is too spread out, and GOD FORBID if Dallas has icy weather which is VERY possible...

Texan_Bill
05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
The only event that I remember being slightly outside of the area that GuerillaBlack mentioned was the Maxxim party held at the Regal Ranch on Highway 90 - near Stafford. (whats that from Reliant - 5 to 7 miles??)

gwallaia
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Pardon if this has been posted.

Considering that the NFL has staged the Super Bowl in Detroit and Jacksonville in recent years, I don't have a problem with the league playing Super Bowl XLV in North Texas. That gives us four solid years to brace ourselves for whatever the Dallas/Fort Worth area is willing to offer.

I do, however, take issue with the league's refusal to accept that this game really shouldn't be passed around as if it was a traveling road show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeff&id=2879927

nunusguy
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
5. Tampa: Hey, somebody had to be fifth. I'd take this city over Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville or Atlanta any day. It might not be as big as those places, but it's also much warmer there in late January and early February.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeff&id=2879927
And his top 4 are Miami, SD, NOLA, & Phoenix (in that order).
I'd really pull NOLA out because it doesn't have the kind of weather people are looking for in a SB, not to mention all the other negative elements associated with post-Katrina NOLA.
The game itself IMO is becoming almost incidental because what its really all about is the days or virtually the whole week leading up to SB Sunday.

StarStruck
05-24-2007, 10:41 AM
I like the fact that the Superbowl has been in Houston, and look forward to 2K11 in Arlington, but I can't argue "1. New Orleans: This is more than helping a reeling region regain its big-event mojo; it's about restoring the nation's biggest sporting spectacle to its rightful home, the glorious city where music, nightlife, logistical convenience and unparalleled food so blessedly collide."

GuerillaBlack
05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Houston looked like Mardi Gras when the Super Bowl was here:

http://www.hok.com/markets/sportvenueevent/edc747d0-1143-30b1-0011-6f4d58b6b1fc/projimages/mouseover1_1.jpg

http://onclick.blogs.com/biometrics/feb1-6.jpg

I doubt something like this will be in DFW, since the events are spread out all over the place.

Texan_Bill
05-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Nice pics.... Reminds being in that crowd.. I was literally being pushed down the street and swaying back in forth because of the force of the crowd....

dskillz
05-24-2007, 02:35 PM
I remember being downtown the Friday before the Super Bowl. It was insane how many people were out there. I got some great pics of the crowd. I also remember going to Madden Bowl and met a lot of the players. That week was outstanding.

brakos82
05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Nice pics.... Reminds being in that crowd.. I was literally being pushed down the street and swaying back in forth because of the force of the crowd....

oops... sorry 'bout that... :wild:

Overalls
05-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I remember being downtown the Friday before the Super Bowl. It was insane how many people were out there. I got some great pics of the crowd. I also remember going to Madden Bowl and met a lot of the players. That week was outstanding.

I agree. That week was what caused me to invest in a digital camera. I had a blast.

Goldensilence
05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I think a NYC superbowl would be kinda of cool..specially if there was some snow or something that would kind of be on pace for another ice bowl or something else really memorable.... at least as a fan watching :D

Specnatz
05-24-2007, 11:50 PM
I think a NYC superbowl would be kinda of cool..specially if there was some snow or something that would kind of be on pace for another ice bowl or something else really memorable.... at least as a fan watching :D

Ya know they say fans do not want a Super bowl in cold weather, but I think it is the media jagoffs who do not want it. fans could careless and would go, sorry the rich and famous will not be able to sit in the stands and be fake as hell because they do not go to any other game but the super bowl.