PDA

View Full Version : Optimism from the Seahawk Huddle

Buffi2
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Wow! This is the nicest write-up about the coming Texan season I've seen and I'll take it no matter who wrote it.
link (http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/v1/portal.php?topic_id=15374)

However presumptions of the team's first winning season and playoff appearance can finally be made without too much snickering.

The selection of 19 year old phenom Amobi Okoye out of the University of Louisville is interesting on so many levels. If the fact that he is a considered by some to be an intellectual genius doesn't get you excited, maybe the comparisons he's drawn to Reggie White and Warren Sapp will.

Experts agree that the Texans were lucky when he slipped to the tenth spot in the first round of this year's draft, making it possible for them to address their need for a potentially dominating defensive tackle.

Perhaps the best-kept secret of the 2007 draft was Lane College's wide receiver, Jacoby Jones, taken by Houston with the 73rd overall selection. What makes him so special is his ability to pretty much do anything.

n summary, the Texans seem to have turned a corner this offseason by doing things former leadership refused to do; taking some risks. Success will be measured not by the number of wins and losses as much as it will be by simply making the playoffs.

:texflag:

kiwitexansfan
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
The bit about previous management not taking risks is laughable.

Hello every draft we seemed to be riverboat gambling, Hollings, Babin, Boselli.... risk, risk, risk.... bust, bust, bust.......

Specnatz
05-21-2007, 11:10 PM
It is a nice read and seems to be little more in tune to what some of already feel, but it reads like something DB would have written. mainly cause the writer can not spell Schaub's name correctly.

:joker:

powerfuldragon
05-21-2007, 11:51 PM
The free agent signing of long-time Green Bay Packers’ running back, Ahman Green, provides a punch out of the trenches that has been missing since Williams went down. Rumors that Green is in the best shape of his career add to the mounting evidence that this year may indeed be different from the rest.

where'd that rumor start?

valleytexfan
05-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I'll take it, that's for sure. The Texans are coming around, people!!!:texflag:

TexanSam
05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Man I'm ready for football season. June, July, and August take too long.

TK_Gamer
05-22-2007, 01:52 AM
where'd that rumor start?

I believe the texans site had an article /interview on it. could be wrong.

nunusguy
05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
"the charm of the Bayou City" ? Huh ?
Houston is a lot of things, some good and some not so good, but H-town a charming city ? What a croc !
And the report on the team ? I like upbeat stuff but I also need reality and balance for credibility. I'm going into this season without my eyes closed.
Lets atleast get a couple preseason games under our belt to have a look-see at what we got here before we declare our turnaround underway. This is still a work-in-process people.
Anyway, nice to see the good pub but I gotta think somebody with the Texans paid that guy for his story.

real
05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
LOL....

People complain about the negative write-ups the Texans 'always' recieve, and then we bash the positive ones....

My Texan fans, my Texan fans....

Rocky79
05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
"the charm of the Bayou City" ? Huh ?
Houston is a lot of things, some good and some not so good, but H-town a charming city ? What a croc !

I love the H, and I think it does have a charm to it. You see so many guys who come here from out of state and never want to leave....there must be some reason for that if not the charm of the city.

Now Jacksonville.....there's a charmless stink hole of a town. Houston has made some shrewd moves in the offseason, and I know everyone is cautious about really getting behind the thought of a playoff push. But I say "why not us"?

If we can win 3 more games, we are in the hunt. We have better talent this year, Kubes has his rookie year under his belt, there is a sense of stability that was'nt here last year, the distraction of Carr is gone. We're young, we're mean, we're hungry.....why not us????

:texflag:

nero THE zero
05-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I liked the article. Whether you agree with his perception of our history or not, you have to commend him on actually studying it versus looking at a stat sheet and making erroneous assumptions.

Anyways, I have one trivial disagreement with the writer.

In summary, the Texans seem to have turned a corner this offseason by doing things former leadership refused to do; taking some risks. Success will be measured not by the number of wins and losses as much as it will be by simply making the playoffs.
To me, success is measured by 2 things. (1) A .500+ season, and (2) a playoff appearance.

If either of those things happen, Kubiak, Smith, and company get an A+ in my book.

real
05-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't 100% agree....

IMO, 8-8 without a playoff berth won't be good enough....

nunusguy
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I love the H, and I think it does have a charm to it. You see so many guys who come here from out of state and never want to leave....there must be some reason for that if not the charm of the city.

While I'm not from here, Houston has still been my home for almost as many years as you've been on this planet, so I've had time to get to know it. And I am very sentimental about Houston and it has many, many things going for it.
But I just can't bring myself to call Houston charming. Potent, dynamic, cosmopolitan are some of the things that come to mind, but not charming. Its just too big and too dang overwhelming at times for me to says its truly charming.

real
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
While I'm not from here, Houston has still been my home for almost as many years as you've been on this planet, so I've had time to get to know it. And I am very sentimental about Houston and it has many, many things going for it.
But I just can't bring myself to call Houston charming. Potent, dynamic, cosmopolitan are some of the things that come to mind, but not charming. Its just too big and too dang overwhelming at times for me to says its truly charming.

I think it depends on your outlook....

If you visit Houston from New york, I could see you thinking it's charming...

If you visit Houston from L.A I can see you thhinking it's charming...

but if you're visiting from Waco or dustyville, Idaho....then no...

Double Barrel
05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
It is a nice read and seems to be little more in tune to what some of already feel, but it reads like something DB would have written. mainly cause the writer can not spell Schaub's name correctly.

:joker:

Hey, I resemble that remark! :user:

Old Town Spring is 'charming'. Houston is...an industrial sea with a few nice islands of culture. (I'm a native of H-town, so maybe I just take things for granted. Except when we have an out-of-town visitor that wants to see the sights...NASA, check for a sporting event...uhhhhh....what else? idonno:)

Texan_Bill
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
What else?
Several theatres of performing arts (plays, symphony, opera, ballet) Art galleries, history, restaraunts, parks, festivals, etc, etc....

I had my cousin visiting from Hawaii and had never been to Houston. He said that Houston was the "smallest" big city that he had ever been to. Meaning, while he recognized Houston as the 4th largest city in the Country, he did not get that from the people he met here and how he was treated here.... To some, that equals "Charming"...

Double Barrel
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
What else?
Several theatres of performing arts (plays, symphony, opera, ballet) Art galleries, history, restaraunts, parks, festivals, etc, etc....

yeah, I was being sarcastic more than anything. We have the usual assortment of fine arts and museums that all big cities have ("a few nice islands of culture"), but there is not a whole lot of 'unique' to Houston is what I was trying to convey (i.e. San Antonio's river walk, for instance).

You can take a tour of the Houston Ship Channel on the Sam Houston Boat, though! However, I'd suggest some cotton for the nose, unless 'stinky' is your thang.

oh, someone in my office just mentioned the Battleship Texas and Kema Boardwalk. So yeah, we've got those things, too. :cowboy1:

real
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah, I was being sarcastic more than anything. We have the usual assortment of fine arts and museums that all big cities have ("a few nice islands of culture"), but there is not a whole lot of 'unique' to Houston is what I was trying to convey (i.e. San Antonio's river walk, for instance).

You can take a tour of the Houston Ship Channel on the Sam Houston Boat, though! However, I'd suggest some cotton for the nose, unless 'stinky' is your thang.

oh, someone in my office just mentioned the Battleship Texas and Kema Boardwalk. So yeah, we've got those things, too. :cowboy1:

I think Houston is awesome....You can go downtown, to the theatre district or the fine arts district if you want that inner city feel...or you can go out to some of the suburbs and get a kind of country/spread out feel....

We have Nasa....If you want to spend a little time at the beach Galveston is a hop away....

I love my city...

I think the things to do in Houston are underrated...

whiskeyrbl
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Love the fact someone other than us are optomistic about 2007

Texan_Bill
05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I hear you on the sarcasm but I dont think a lot people are aware of this when it comes to performing arts:
The Houston Theater District is ranked second in the nation for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines of opera, ballet, music, and theater.

Houston Theatre District (http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/)

Just saying that its not like ALL big cities.....

I covered the Battleship Texas, San Jacinto and Allen's Landing etc. all in the "history" part of my post...

Back to topic, I am glad to see that others are seeing through the first five years and actually have taken the time to peek into the future!!

Specnatz
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark! :user:

Old Town Spring is 'charming'. Houston is...an industrial sea with a few nice islands of culture. (I'm a native of H-town, so maybe I just take things for granted. Except when we have an out-of-town visitor that wants to see the sights...NASA, check for a sporting event...uhhhhh....what else? idonno:)

Could not resist.

I love Houston, and I have been to many cities. When I was in Boston, it was ok but I love the small pubs and family atmosphere. Can't stand NYC. Chicago is cool, jump on the "L" and you can get to where ever you want to go. Just dont get off in cabrini green(sp).

Double Barrel
05-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Well if a visitor is fortunate enough to come at the right time of year, I always opt for the extravaganza of one of the world's largest rodeos. I've boggled some minds taking them to the Houston Rodeo, because it plays into some of our stereotypes: BIG event, BIG hats, BIG cows, and dudes in chaps getting out of pick-up trucks.

Hey, I love my city, too. I just like to have fun with it. :howdy:

p.s. 'history' is in the eye of the beholder, as one of my recently visiting English friends pointed out (they have pubs older than our country, for instance). I just wished Houston played up the space angle more, because that's always cool to me.