PDA

View Full Version : favorite prospect- hows he doing?

beerlover
05-21-2007, 02:59 PM
I would like this thread to follow some of our favorite prospects drafted by other teams around the NFL. First state your player and try to maintain some kind of updated report from time to time. besides Texans this should help broaden our knowledge & help us follow other teams & their top prospects as well or for that matter former collegiate players from around the state of Texas if thats what you like.

my favorite player is Levi Brown I will be following him and now the Cardinals to see how he responds. alot of pressure protecting a franchise QB as a rookie LT but I think he will surprise the naysayers who said #5 was too high to draft him or he lacked the quickness to play the position.

http://azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1725

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070512/capt.a4d55b58fff94ddda134cbf9d0425c14.cardinals_mi nicamp_football_azmy105.jpg

real
05-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Nice thread.

I like Reggie Nelson.

beerlover
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
just in case anyone is interested but confused why there is little to no information yet available it may be due to the league rules which state:

rookies can report on May 22, only if they have either graduated or their graduating class has graduated. So although many athletes might elect to defer graduation until later in their careers and weren’t in class this past semester, the NFL still prevents them from working out until this last term comes to an end.

so while it may be early for some only those who graduated early have been able to partake so far.

real
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
There are colleges still having class ?

We got out in April....geesh...

TexansSeminole
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Same with us but you know that FSU and FAMU are one of the only schools that get out that early. All my friends here in Houston were in school for a good while in May.

Double Barrel
05-21-2007, 04:39 PM

These aren't junior colleges. ;)

real
05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
These aren't junior colleges. ;)

LOL...

Yeah...FAM should have been a junior college the way it was run....

TexansSeminole
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
LOL...

Yeah...FAM should have been a junior college the way it was run....

You know I read something in the democrat where either FAMU or FSU was trying to take the Engineering school and make it 100% for one college. Apparently the sharing was not working. I actually took a class up there in that building and I would say it had 90% FAMU students and only 10% FSU students...and by the end of the semester most of those FSU students had dropped out.

Anyway I have been way off topic this thread sorry.

beerlover
05-24-2007, 03:40 AM
heres a short piece from another of my favorite 07 draft picks Brandon Meriweather-
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=25719&pcid=41

[Former head coach Larry] Coker said, ‘Why are you being so nice to this guy? He’s trying to take your job.’ Brandon said, "Coach, if he does take my job, we’ll just be a better team."

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070512/capt.527c2618fd5b4aa2bf998db04360a8b7.patriots_min i_camp_football_masm102.jpg

Overalls
05-25-2007, 08:50 AM
I was thinking about Garrett Wolfe, who was picked up by Da Bears. He is a small back that picked up a lot of yards in college.

beerlover
05-26-2007, 03:52 AM
I was thinking about Garrett Wolfe, who was picked up by Da Bears. He is a small back that picked up a lot of yards in college.

he was what a 3rd pick of da bears? don't see the value there when the Texans where able to aquire a pure slot back in Darius without spending a draft pick on him, but thats just me. da bears obviously like him cause they already agreed on a four-year contract $2.29 million. who knows maybe hes another Maurice Jones-Drew? both are cat quick, around 5'7" although Garrett is not as higly touted as Maruice not to mention not the fire hydrant either.

however, I will admit a soft spot for the little guy who can make it in a landscape dominated by giants :bowser:

Brando
05-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I would like this thread to follow some of our favorite prospects drafted by other teams around the NFL. First state your player and try to maintain some kind of updated report from time to time. besides Texans this should help broaden our knowledge & help us follow other teams & their top prospects as well or for that matter former collegiate players from around the state of Texas if thats what you like.

my favorite player is Levi Brown I will be following him and now the Cardinals to see how he responds. alot of pressure protecting a franchise QB as a rookie LT but I think he will surprise the naysayers who said #5 was too high to draft him or he lacked the quickness to play the position.

http://azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1725

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070512/capt.a4d55b58fff94ddda134cbf9d0425c14.cardinals_mi nicamp_football_azmy105.jpg

I thought he was going to be a RT to protect Lienart's blindside?

beerlover
05-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought he was going to be a RT to protect Lienart's blindside?

believe your correct sir, which should propel him on a fast track to the pro-bowl :)

he's already busy in the community too http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1724

“The kids are our future and they are the up and coming stars of the NFL,” offered Brown. “Anytime you get a chance to come out here and work with them and show them that even though we’re in the NFL, we are just like them. We’re not scary guys, and it is a great chance for me to come out and play with them. I have a lot of fun with kids, so this was a great time.”

Brando
05-26-2007, 01:44 PM
believe your correct sir, which should propel him on a fast track to the pro-bowl :)

he's already busy in the community too http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1724

“The kids are our future and they are the up and coming stars of the NFL,” offered Brown. “Anytime you get a chance to come out here and work with them and show them that even though we’re in the NFL, we are just like them. We’re not scary guys, and it is a great chance for me to come out and play with them. I have a lot of fun with kids, so this was a great time.”

The Cardinals should be a surprise team this year, IMO.:)

SF49erFaithful
05-28-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm excited to see how Brown performs too, with the Cardinals being in the 49ers division and all.

mexican_texan
05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=3077&section=PR%20News

Jay Moore signed with the Niners.

PapaL
05-28-2007, 02:40 PM

I believe he will play RT since Leinhert is a lefty.

Hottoddie
05-28-2007, 06:53 PM
I'll go with:

DeShawn Wynn (RB) (7th Rd) Green Bay

Allen Barbre (OT) (4th Rd) Green Bay

Ikaika Alama-Francis (DE) (2nd Rd) Detroit

Keith Jackson (DT) (7th Rd) Detroit // My #1 choice for a DT, if we hadn't taken Okoye.

John Wendling (FS) (6th Rd) Buffalo

Hottoddie
05-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Allen Barbre (OT) (4th Rd) Green Bay

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070521/PKR01/705210477/1950

Fourth-round pick Allen Barbre should get time to develop as a left guard and tackle — he'll work mainly at guard this offseason — but fits the mold of a mobile linemen for the zone-blocking scheme.

"I like his quickness, I like his athleticism," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "He seems like a very good prospect."

Hottoddie
05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
DeShawn Wynn (RB) (7th Rd) Green Bay

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=602431

Wynn, taken in Round 7, has talent but questions surround his desire and attitude.

Heath Shuler
05-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Desmond Bishop
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/04/29/5/

LB Bishop Fast Enough To Make Plays

Desmond Bishop isn't going to win any footraces against many of the linebackers taken in the 2007 NFL Draft.

But Packers assistant head coach and linebackers coach Winston Moss cautions everyone not to read too much into his 4.77-second time in the 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine.

Moss likes what he's seen on film from Bishop, the second of the Packers' three consecutive sixth-round draft picks on Sunday (192nd overall). What matters more to Moss is that Bishop, a first-team all-Pac 10 defensive standout from Cal, showed a nose for the ball in leading his team in tackles for two straight seasons.

"If you say he doesn't run fast enough, be careful with that," Moss said. "You talk about very good speed you're looking at linebackers running 4.5s. Guys are getting enamored with those really, really fast linebackers.

"When Desmond is running 4.6, 4.7, if he plays fast as a football player, even though that timed speed might not be what looking for, that's going to be good enough for me. Can he make the play on the football field? Is he fast enough to run guys down? Can he help Mike Stock out on special teams, if it comes to it?"

Originally a junior college product who played two years at Cal, Bishop is considered an ideal inside run stuffer, but with the Packers he's more likely to get a look as an outside linebacker. The questions about his speed raise potential red flags regarding his ability in pass coverage, staying with the athletic tight ends becoming so prevalent in the NFL.

But Bishop believed he proved himself against the pass last season with three interceptions in a generally pass-oriented conference.

"Being in the Pac-10 with a lot of passes, you have to be very versatile," Bishop said. "I don't think I struggled (in pass coverage)."

In addition to the three picks, Bishop also recorded three sacks, a team-high 15 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries last season.

"Looking at him on film, I like what I saw," Moss said. "I thought he had a playmaker mentality, thought he was very active to the ball. I probably had him rated higher than when he actually got drafted, but his speed might have knocked him down a little bit."

jlam
05-30-2007, 10:53 AM
The Cardinals should be a surprise team this year, IMO.:)

The Cardinals have been the surprise team for about three years now, and so far the only surprising thing they've done is fail to surprise anyone, which is hardly surprising.

The Pencil Neck
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
The Cardinals have been the surprise team for about three years now, and so far the only surprising thing they've done is fail to surprise anyone, which is hardly surprising.

The Cardinals have been the surprise team for as long as I can remember and they've never really delivered on it (except kinda in Plummer's second season.)

HOU-TEX
05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
The Cardinals have been the surprise team for as long as I can remember and they've never really delivered on it (except kinda in Plummer's second season.)

The Cards have always been my favorite NFC team. I guess I have a thing for the underdogs since my hometown team's been one a majority of their games.:texflag:

beerlover
06-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Waking up the sleeper teams
posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: NFL

It's hard to tell if teams get anything out of "voluntary" OTAs except hope. Lousy teams aspire for the playoffs; playoff teams aspire for the Super Bowl; Super Bowl teams expect a return trip. Nothing captures the spirit of OTA season better than this quote from Texans owner Bob McNair in Monday's Houston Chronicle:

"In this league, you really need 18-21 quality players if you want to be in the playoffs every year, and we're building to that. We're not there yet, but we're very close, and that's why we think we'll be competitive this year and why we think we'll be competing for a playoff spot. That's our goal."

Today's blog focuses on sleeper candidates. To qualify, a team has to have finished .500 or lower in '06. (If I were to include all non-playoff teams as sleepers, underachievers like Denver and Pittsburgh would be allowed to slip in.) A team like Houston fits perfectly.

You have to admire the Texans since the Dom Capers era ended because they're a gambler in a conservative league. Last year's gamble was picking Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush or any of the top quarterbacks. This year, it's letting David Carr go for free, while paying a steep price (swapping picks in this year's draft plus two next year, not to mention doling out a six-year, $48 million contract) for Matt Schaub, who has exactly two starts in his career.

Splitting with Carr, the face of the franchise, was probably the correct move, if only because Carr was truly burned out. In Schaub, Houston gets a passer eager for his break, even if he's less naturally gifted than his predecessor. "Talent-wise, there's no comparison between them," says Trent Dilfer, one of Carr's best friends. "David can make every throw."

Still, Schaub's energy has rubbed off on the Texans. During the offseason, he was constantly around the facility trying to engage the guys. Says cornerback Dunta Robinson, "He's different than David. He's cocky. He's got a lot of energy. He walks around asking the DBs, 'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' That was never really David's thing."

I'm among the many that believe the Panthers stole Carr, even if no team wanted to trade for him when Houston shopped him back in March. But it's hard not to admire Schaub's moxie. Couple Schaub with an improved defense that struggled holding onto fourth-quarter leads in '06 and a hungry back like Ahman Green, and you have a perfect June sleeper. Here are four others:

• Arizona: Last year, Arizona was the popular sleeper. That makes the Cardinals perfect for this year because expectations have been lowered. Nothing will come easy this year for Arizona. I don't see enough improvements to a defense that finished 29th overall and allowed 24 points a game. But if the offensive line improves, Arizona will be able to move the ball with anybody.

• San Francisco: The Niners are this year's Cardinals, sleeper-wise. San Francisco has the same sort feel that Cowboys had in the early '90s, a young team loaded with talent that's starting to emerge: a No. 1 overall quarterback who's coming into his own, a star tailback, a young defense. I'm still not sure the Niners will end up making the playoffs in a very competitive NFC West, but we'll get an early indication as to what they're made of when they play Arizona, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Baltimore the first five weeks of the season.

• Buffalo: In one sense, it's a wonder more people aren't talking about the Bills, who finished 7-9 in a tough division and had one of the stronger drafts in April. In the other sense, there are many who aren't inspired by J.P. Losman. But the early word out of Buffalo's OTAs -- where, remember, everyone is forever optimistic -- is that Losman has been making sound decisions and isn't forcing the ball downfield, but is still sneaking in big plays to Roscoe Parrish.

• Tennessee: The Titans won six-of-seven to close out the year. Vince Young looks like the league's next indefensible weapon, despite his 51-percent completion rate and despite being the target of Merrill Hoge's rants. Tennessee's defense played well last year, especially after the return of DT Albert Haynesworth. But the Titans will miss Pacman Jones -- for at least one day out of the week, that is.

Heath Shuler
08-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Desmond Bishop had 2 huge hits on Williams in Green Bays last preseason game.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=206916&ntpid=2
Bishop takes his shot

Rookie sixth-round pick Desmond Bishop entered the game ahead of Abdul Hodge when starting middle linebacker Nick Barnett called it a night, and Bishop made an impression on his fifth play.

When Jaguars receiver Reggie Williams took a Byron Leftwich pass on a crossing route, Bishop was waiting. He drilled the receiver with such force that Williams' helmet popped off.

"Tonight was important. We know cuts are right around the corner," said Bishop, who tied for the team lead with five tackles. "I tried the best I could to make a statement."