PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so high on Shaub?

nedthehead
05-17-2007, 07:22 AM
I mean he hasn't played a down yet, and rarely played in Atlanta. When he did, he did look pretty good, but so can a lot of relief pitchers, so to speak. Gradkowski in Tampa is a good example. When played his first game, he looked pretty good as well, then later, did not. Nobody knows for sure how he will do in his first opportunity to start. This team finally gets a new QB and everyone seems so relieved, as if he is going to automatically save the franchise. He didn't even have to win the job, he was just handed the keys to the car. I liked Schaub when he was in Atlanta because he's not Vick, he's a real QB, but this means nothing this year. He's on a different team in a different system and has not played a down here yet. Time is gonna tell what he will be able to do. If his numbers and wins don't look better than Carr's did last year, then it will be very revealing. I'm not jumping on this bandwagon till he proves it to me on the field, in a Texans uni.

PapaL
05-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Because the bar was set so low by the previous starter. Also to note, he is in a very similiar system - if not the same, only the terminology is different.

Tailgate
05-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Because at this point... I have trust in Kubiak. He did his homework on this one. Of course time will tell everything.

Scooter
05-17-2007, 07:48 AM
the obvious answer is ... the backup quarterback (or new quarterback) is always the fans' favorite player.

my answer is ... david carr COST us games and i cant think of a single game that he won for us. if we stop losing david carr games, we'll have a better record with almost anyone else behind center.

the potential answer is ... matt schaub was a potential early first rounder (injury or something dropped him, i'm not sure what it was exactly) who has everything you want in a quarterback. from a scouting perspective, he displays loads of leadership, great mechanics, and the build & mobility required our system. as for the texans, he's basically a rookie with experience. he's been allowed to learn our system with actual game time, but without taking the punishment you'd expect to get from someone with his knowledge. teams have been trying to pry him away from the falcons for these reasons for 2 years now. schaub doesnt have carr's arm or natural physical talent, but he has what matters most in a quarterback and that's what both teams and fans have taken notice of. leadership, pocket presence & poise, accuracy, and the ability to improvise. schaub doesnt have michael vick physical talent, but he's got joe montana quarterback ability. once schaub gets his first start, we'll see many falcon fans on this board for that very reason ... schaub was expected by several people (fans and administrators) to take the falcons where vick couldnt.

you're right that schaub doesnt have any body of work to prove what he's capable of. it's entirely possible that he crumbles during this time to shine. scouts, coaches, and fans from the entire league proclaim him as a potential great though, so i'm inclined to lean that direction. gary kubiak trading two second round draft picks solidifies that point.

Specnatz
05-17-2007, 07:53 AM
I mean he hasn't played a down yet, and rarely played in Atlanta. When he did, he did look pretty good, but so can a lot of relief pitchers, so to speak. Gradkowski in Tampa is a good example. When played his first game, he looked pretty good as well, then later, did not. Nobody knows for sure how he will do in his first opportunity to start. This team finally gets a new QB and everyone seems so relieved, as if he is going to automatically save the franchise. He didn't even have to win the job, he was just handed the keys to the car. I liked Schaub when he was in Atlanta because he's not Vick, he's a real QB, but this means nothing this year. He's on a different team in a different system and has not played a down here yet. Time is gonna tell what he will be able to do. If his numbers and wins don't look better than Carr's did last year, then it will be very revealing. I'm not jumping on this bandwagon till he proves it to me on the field, in a Texans uni.

We are doing it so you will have something to gripe about and say how we are fooling our selves.

Other than that your boy Carr stunk up the place worse than beer/egg fart on a sunday morning after a late night out and a trip to Dennys.

OK now that the sarcasim is out of the way. It is not only that people are so high on just the QB it is everything that has happened in the last 6 months and everything that Smith and Coach Kubiak has said. you listen to them speak and it just makes you believe and filled with confidence. Heck I would want to run through a brick wall for smith by how much he gets me pumped for the season and it is only June.

:texflag: :d:

dalemurphy
05-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Because:

1. He has all the physical skills to succeed in the NFL: height, arm strength, accuracy...

2. He's had 3 years of NFL coaching and is only 25 years old.

3. Zero health concerns.

4. All coaches and players who've worked with him rave about him as a person, QB, and about his leadership abilities... how often do you hear that about a backup?

5. He's spent about 6 years learning West Coast offensive elements like the ones we run in Houston under Kubiak

6. He immediately impressed Kubiak and also immediately assumed leadership of this football team.

7. We're desperate for a change at QB.

Mr teX
05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
It might have something to do with the fact that in his little time on the field during meaningful games he's looked pretty good, so much so that he was being likened to the next tom brady etc...

& his former teammates say that he's the real deal as well. Also don't rule out what he did as a collegiate either. When you put all those things together............

bigbrewster2000
05-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Well for 1 he is not David Carr and 2 he appears to have all thos intagibles that we as Texans fans have been longing for in our QB since day 1.

It just seems that in the short time that Schaub has been here that he has taken the full resposibility of his role on this team and thus gotten us extremely excited.

Besides we just think he is going to be better.

Honoring Earl 34
05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Because:

1. He has all the physical skills to succeed in the NFL: height, arm strength, accuracy...

3. Zero health concerns.

4. All coaches and players who've worked with him rave about him as a person, QB, and about his leadership abilities... how often do you hear that about a backup?

5. He's spent about 6 years learning West Coast offensive elements like the ones we run in Houston under Kubiak

6. He immediately impressed Kubiak and also immediately assumed leadership of this football team.

Ditto ... :fans:

HuttoKarl
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
He's neither gunshy or punchdrunk like the last starting QB we had.

real
05-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Because he has pocket presence

Texan Asylum
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
the obvious answer is ... the backup quarterback (or new quarterback) is always the fans' favorite player.

my answer is ... david carr COST us games and i cant think of a single game that he won for us. if we stop losing david carr games, we'll have a better record with almost anyone else behind center.

the potential answer is ... matt schaub was a potential early first rounder (injury or something dropped him, i'm not sure what it was exactly) who has everything you want in a quarterback. from a scouting perspective, he displays loads of leadership, great mechanics, and the build & mobility required our system. as for the texans, he's basically a rookie with experience. he's been allowed to learn our system with actual game time, but without taking the punishment you'd expect to get from someone with his knowledge. teams have been trying to pry him away from the falcons for these reasons for 2 years now. schaub doesnt have carr's arm or natural physical talent, but he has what matters most in a quarterback and that's what both teams and fans have taken notice of. leadership, pocket presence & poise, accuracy, and the ability to improvise. schaub doesnt have michael vick physical talent, but he's got joe montana quarterback ability. once schaub gets his first start, we'll see many falcon fans on this board for that very reason ... schaub was expected by several people (fans and administrators) to take the falcons where vick couldnt.

you're right that schaub doesnt have any body of work to prove what he's capable of. it's entirely possible that he crumbles during this time to shine. scouts, coaches, and fans from the entire league proclaim him as a potential great though, so i'm inclined to lean that direction. gary kubiak trading two second round draft picks solidifies that point.
Nice post Scoot. Thanks for the insight and optimism.

I imagine that all folk's worries will be replaced with an over-exuberant enthusiasm after our first game of the season!

GO TEXANS!!!

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Because he seems to actually like playing football and is willing to work on his game and his skills in order to be the very best he can be. that is new for us.

Porky
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
First, by default he will be better than Carr. It would take a disaster of epic proportions to at least not meet that standard.

But, beyond that. Let's go with your theory that he doesn't have a ton of experience, so how can we know. That is true to an extent, but we have a lot of clues.

Guy is near 6' 6" with an nice overhand classic delivery. He will be one of the 2 or 3 tallest starting QB's in the league. How many passes do you think will get batted down compared to the 6' 3" QB with the funky sidearm delivery?

He had an excellent career at Viriginia using a similar system, and also was tutored in the same system for 3 years at Atl. He had excellent coaching all along the way, and hasn't had to take a beating to do it.

His leadership abilities on and off the field are off the charts compared to Carr, and are an often overlooked attribute.

His work ethic is off the charts compared to Carr. He reminds me of Manning in his work ethic. Absouletely driven to be the best. Will work hard with his receivers to develop that cohesion and rythem so during games he can deliver the ball in the best placement for yac.

Has demonstrated during the times he has played that he can improvise, shuffle his feet and buy time, and has a much better feel for the rush than Carr. All in all, let's call it pocket presense. We will see plays this year that with Carr would have been a sack, and with Schaub will be a positve play.

Has demonstrated during the times he has played that he can make every throw required in this offense. Not as strong armed as Carr, but has a better, more accurate, and more catchable intermediate and deep ball. Has better touch and delivery on his short throws.

Has demonstrated during the times he has played that he can find receivers and TE's in the mid and deep middle. This in turn will keep the safety's honest, and allow more room for AJ and the RB's to roam.

Highly recommended by former teammates, and coaches. Kubiak also knows QB talent as well as anyone, and you have to think he studied every throw the guy made in his college and pro career before pulling the trigger. Unless you think Kubiak doesn't have an eye for QB talent, the mere fact that he dumped Carr and picked up Schauab should certaintly tell you something.

:fans:

hadaad
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Because bringing in a replacement for a quarterback who wasn't cutting it serves as a departure from the "Expansion" culture we grew comfortable with.

Texan Asylum
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
First, by default he will be better than Carr. It would take a disaster of epic proportions to at least not meet that standard.

But, beyond that. Let's go with your theory that he doesn't have a ton of experience, so how can we know. That is true to an extent, but we have a lot of clues.

Guy is near 6' 6" with an nice overhand classic delivery. He will be one of the 2 or 3 tallest starting QB's in the league. How many passes do you think will get batted down compared to the 6' 3" QB with the funky sidearm delivery?

He had an excellent career at Viriginia using a similar system, and also was tutored in the same system for 3 years at Atl. He had excellent coaching all along the way, and hasn't had to take a beating to do it.

His leadership abilities on and off the field are off the charts compared to Carr, and are an often overlooked attribute.

His work ethic is off the charts compared to Carr. He reminds me of Manning in his work ethic. Absouletely driven to be the best. Will work hard with his receivers to develop that cohesion and rythem so during games he can deliver the ball in the best placement for yac.

Has demonstrated during the times he has played that he can improvise, shuffle his feet and buy time, and has a much better feel for the rush than Carr. All in all, let's call it pocket presense. We will see plays this year that with Carr would have been a sack, and with Schaub will be a positve play.

Has demonstrated during the times he has played that he can make every throw required in this offense. Not as strong armed as Carr, but has a better, more accurate, and more catchable intermediate and deep ball. Has better touch and delivery on his short throws.

Has demonstrated during the times he has played that he can find receivers and TE's in the mid and deep middle. This in turn will keep the safety's honest, and allow more room for AJ and the RB's to roam.

Highly recommended by former teammates, and coaches. Kubiak also knows QB talent as well as anyone, and you have to think he studied every throw the guy made in his college and pro career before pulling the trigger. Unless you think Kubiak doesn't have an eye for QB talent, the mere fact that he dumped Carr and picked up Schauab should certaintly tell you something.

Excellent post Porky! Thanks for the read!

HOU-TEX
05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Because he seems to actually like playing football and is willing to work on his game and his skills in order to be the very best he can be. that is new for us.

Comparatively speaking he's the Hunter Pence of football.:shades:

Texan_Bill
05-17-2007, 10:33 AM

I don't agree with all of your points, but I don't blame you for posing the question either...

The only thing I see right now, is just a clean breath of fresh air - which can be huge.. But until anything is proven on the field, questions will remain in my mind as well....

Double Barrel
05-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Why is everyone so high on Shaub?

We have low expectations that were established by our previous starter? idonno:

We were high on Carr before he ever played a down in the NFL, too. Maybe Houston fans have unbridled optimism?

Besides, if Shaub doesn't perform well, we have the established excuse that our offensive line stinks, supported by the national media's perception (right or wrong).

But the big picture has to be what Porky, scooter, and other have said before me:

Shaub is a WCO QB with 6 years experience in the system (3 college + 3 pro). He understands the importance of timing patterns in the WCO, and is already closely working with his receivers in order that they can have some instinctual knowledge of each other's tendencies.

Shaub has pocket presence, and understands how to step up into the pocket to avoid a back-end pass rush.

He can call audibles at the line of scrimmage, taking advantage of mismatches with the defense.

Three step drops and quick hit passes based on timing patterns.

He can throw down the middle.

He has the confidence of the head coach.

Shaub embraces the leadership role that a QB can provide to an offense and team.

The Pencil Neck
05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
There are several ways to look at this.

Would you expect people to be excited over a promising rookie QB drafted in the first round? That's basically what we have here and somewhat more. This guy would have been a first round pick but he hurt his shoulder his senior year and that dropped him down to the 3rd round. The question about his shoulder has been answered and so from a talent standpoint, he has to be considered at least as good as a 1st round prospect. Many rookie QB's are thrown into the fray too quickly, like Carr, and that hampers their development; many guys benefit from sitting and getting used to the speed of the game (Carson Palmer, Phillip Rivers, Pennington, Starr, Favre, etc.), Schaub has done that.

Another way to look at it is like this...

The easy way to be a Savior (at work) is to follow in the footsteps of someone who really sucks. There were some people on these boards who thought that our old QB was good enough and just needed a stronger supporting cast. For those people, it didn't make sense to go out and spend multiple draft picks on the QB when we still had a perfectly OK QB. But most of us think that our old QB was just a bad, bad QB that made everyone around him worse. So for us, there's a very low standard of performance that Schaub has to meet to be a huge improvement. So for those of us who thought Carr was bad, it's very hard not to feel very happy with this move.

And that's why some of us are very optimistic.

Ultimately, we won't know until the guys hit the field.

Texan_Bill
05-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Would you expect people to be excited over a promising rookie QB drafted in the first round? That's basically what we have here and somewhat more. This guy would have been a first round pick but he hurt his shoulder his senior year and that dropped him down to the 3rd round. The question about his shoulder has been answered and so from a talent standpoint, he has to be considered at least as good as a 1st round prospect. Many rookie QB's are thrown into the fray too quickly, like Carr, and that hampers their development; many guys benefit from sitting and getting used to the speed of the game (Carson Palmer, Phillip Rivers, Pennington, Starr, Favre, etc.), Schaub has done that.

The easy way to be a Savior (at work) is to follow in the footsteps of someone who really sucks. There were some people on these boards who thought that our old QB was good enough and just needed a stronger supporting cast. For those people, it didn't make sense to go out and spend multiple draft picks on the QB when we still had a perfectly OK QB. But most of us think that our old QB was just a bad, bad QB that made everyone around him worse. So for us, there's a very low standard of performance that Schaub has to meet to be a huge improvement. So for those of us who thought Carr was bad, it's very hard not to feel very happy with this move.

Fair, balanced and un-biased assessment... Nice!!

beerlover
05-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Because:

3. Zero health concerns.

adding to this fine list-

8. Matt Schuab is really, really Tall almost 6' 6" with size to withstand contact.

9. Classic Pocket QB that will hang in their & work through progressions, as we've learned thats not an easy thing to do or teach.

10. Has a good feel for pressure, knowing when to step up or roll out of the pocket.

11. Comes in early to work, sometimes before Kubiak & stays late (thats something new too).

Specnatz
05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
adding to this fine list-

8. Matt Schuab is really, really Tall almost 6' 6" with size to withstand contact.

9. Classic Pocket QB that will hang in their & work through progressions, as we've learned thats not an easy thing to do or teach.

10. Has a good feel for pressure, knowing when to step up or roll out of the pocket.

11. Comes in early to work, sometimes before Kubiak & stays late (thats something new too).

Perception of the Qb position is that your FILO (hehe j/k) First In Last Out. The old Qb did not do that and that has people more stoked than you can possibly imagine. Manning, Brady, Marino, Montana and others have all done this. I am sure there are QBs who suck that have done this, but if you do not put the work in you are not going to get the job done.

I will equate this to a broker or finacial advisor. Would you want your broker to come in at 8 and leave at 4:30 everyday, plus take an hour lunch, and spend the 30 min a day checking personal emails and sending jokes to his buddy or setting up his next tea time? Now if your advisor came in at 7am checked the european market and also checked what happened in the asian market overnight, ate at his desk while using his bluetooth, still took the 30 min to check emails send jokes look at his tea time for saturday, then at then end of the day at 5pm spent another 45 min checking the futures market to see what else he might be able to make you and him money on. then he went home.

Honestly, I will take option "B" because if nothing else the guy is busting his rump in order to do the best job he could possibly do. he may fail but it will not be for the lack of hard work and trying his damnest.

This what we have at the QB position now from what I feel in what we did have. I draw these conclusions based upon what I have read in the past and heard since the trade has gone down. Now do I blame the old QB solely, NO there is plenty of blame to go around. This is why there is so much optimism.

Mr teX
05-17-2007, 11:55 AM

excellent post,
If everyone posted like this, no one here would be labeled insert player name herelovers & insert player name here haters just b/c they don't see eye to eye with each other.

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Perception of the Qb position is that your FILO (hehe j/k) First In Last Out. The old Qb did not do that and that has people more stoked than you can possibly imagine. Manning, Brady, Marino, Montana and others have all done this. I am sure there are QBs who suck that have done this, but if you do not put the work in you are not going to get the job done.

I will equate this to a broker or finacial advisor. Would you want your broker to come in at 8 and leave at 4:30 everyday, plus take an hour lunch, and spend the 30 min a day checking personal emails and sending jokes to his buddy or setting up his next tea time? Now if your advisor came in at 7am checked the european market and also checked what happened in the asian market overnight, ate at his desk while using his bluetooth, still took the 30 min to check emails send jokes look at his tea time for saturday, then at then end of the day at 5pm spent another 45 min checking the futures market to see what else he might be able to make you and him money on. then he went home.

Honestly, I will take option "B" because if nothing else the guy is busting his rump in order to do the best job he could possibly do. he may fail but it will not be for the lack of hard work and trying his damnest.

This what we have at the QB position now from what I feel in what we did have. I draw these conclusions based upon what I have read in the past and heard since the trade has gone down. Now do I blame the old QB solely, NO there is plenty of blame to go around. This is why there is so much optimism.

carr was a total clock puncher. it makes me so happy to hear quality fans coming around to these facts. it also makes me happy that it seems the Carr fans have gone away and now just Texans fans are left. maybe they shut down California IP addresses to this board :)
(sorry hollywood texan, your always welcome)

love the new err old board

Hagar
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Because:

3. Zero health concerns.

7. We're desperate for a change at QB.:includeme: I've been looking for a place to use this Smiley and here it is. Couldn't of said it better, Rep for you, dude.

Wolfiegrrl
05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I have to admit, just one glimpse into Schaub's delivery on the OTA video yesterday, makes me believe this guy is the real deal. There was something about his poise, his classic arm motion, perfect spin on the ball... that really got me going. :splits: :doot:

This guy wants to be a winner. He won't settle for less out of any of his teammates. You could see it in his mannerisms when talking about leadership in all of the video spots that he's done so far.

kiwitexansfan
05-17-2007, 01:48 PM

I hear what you are saying here and agree that hard work pays off and guys like that get places but I have to ask at what cost. You might want that
"B" guy to be your financial advisor or QB but you don't necessarily want him to be your father/husband/friend. If your giving 150% at work, perhaps that means you don't have much left over to give to your families.

Just look at Dungy's and Reid's families, coaches are guy "B" guys and I think that you can argue that their families struggle with that.
Can you suceed in the NFL not being a type B guy??? I don't know, I am not close enough to players and organisations to have that insight, but I would like to think that you could go to work do your time, give 100% while you are there but not have to go over the extremes people expect of coaches and QB especially.

I for one respect David Carr, the man, because of his dedication to family, in some ways it takes a bigger man to be a father worth a darn than it is to be a NFL QB and if it comes down to be a good dad or be a big star the right decision everytime for me is be a good dad. That doesn't make me want the Texans to win less, it just means that I want to see families and fathers succeed more. And before anyone asks, Yes I would prefer to support an average team of good guys, than support a soulless team of supermen that destroyed all before them. (Then again I believe that good people, will get good results, but maybe I am just naive.)

infantrycak
05-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I for one respect David Carr, the man, because of his dedication to family, in some ways it takes a bigger man to be a father worth a darn than it is to be a NFL QB and if it comes down to be a good dad or be a big star the right decision everytime for me is be a good dad.

Totally understand the priority decision you are making, but you can't accept umpteen million to do one and then pick the other.

Wolfiegrrl
05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
I totally agree with you Infantry. It feels like David robbed this franchise when he chose to stick around and take millions for a job that he dreaded going to everyday. That kind of thing doesn't sit well with me.

If you look at the big time successful guys, their families are pretty much unknown during their careers. Do you hear about Mannings wife? McNair? Brees?

The point I'm trying to make, is the same point I make to people who have worked for me in the past. You leave your personal life at the door. This is business and I need your full, undivided attention. If you can't do that, then we have a problem.

Double Barrel
05-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I for one respect David Carr, the man, because of his dedication to family, in some ways it takes a bigger man to be a father worth a darn than it is to be a NFL QB and if it comes down to be a good dad or be a big star the right decision everytime for me is be a good dad. That doesn't make me want the Texans to win less, it just means that I want to see families and fathers succeed more. And before anyone asks, Yes I would prefer to support an average team of good guys, than support a soulless team of supermen that destroyed all before them. (Then again I believe that good people, will get good results, but maybe I am just naive.)

I understand your perspective and share your feelings of David Carr being a class act and genuine nice guy. There is no doubt of that and a general consensus among fans that share this view.

And while I certainly agree that family should be a top priority...the fact remains that there are only 32 starting jobs on this planet as a QB for an NFL team. And if a player wants to compete (and succeed) with the best of the best, then said player will have to do the things that are required to perform at such an elite level.

An NFL player has a very finite time of his life to succeed in the pros. He has the rest of his life to be a father, and with the money that they make, they could have a much easier time than the rest of us once their careers are over. After all, I am required to work 40-60 hours a week to put a roof over our head and food on the table, and this will be my fate for the rest of my life. Carr, on the other hand, could retire today and be a stay at home dad for the rest of his life.

Use that finite time as an NFL player wisely is all I'm saying.

Specnatz
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I hear what you are saying here and agree that hard work pays off and guys like that get places but I have to ask at what cost. You might want that
"B" guy to be your financial advisor or QB but you don't necessarily want him to be your father/husband/friend. If your giving 150% at work, perhaps that means you don't have much left over to give to your families.

Just look at Dungy's and Reid's families, coaches are guy "B" guys and I think that you can argue that their families struggle with that.
Can you suceed in the NFL not being a type B guy??? I don't know, I am not close enough to players and organisations to have that insight, but I would like to think that you could go to work do your time, give 100% while you are there but not have to go over the extremes people expect of coaches and QB especially.

I understand what you are saying, but sorry the nature of the career these guys have choosen is one that dictates the long hours. You mentioned two guys that have had family issues and I can a lot that have not. Charlie Weiss, went from OC to Head coach of Notre dame and do you not think he puts in more time than a Pro head coach, yes he does......

Originally Posted by GoshenGipper
Here is an updated list of Charlie Weis's visit locations since the Blue/Gold Game. The friend that gave this to me has always been reliable, so I'd say it's very accurate.

Monday, April 23
LB Darius Fleming (Chicago, Ill.) - committed
LB Steven Filer (Chicago, Ill.) - offered
DE Glen Foster (Chicago, Ill.)
DT Garrett Goebel (Lombard, Ill.) - *now offered
DE Sean Cwynar (Woodstock, Ill.) - committed

Tuesday, April 24
LB Arthur Brown (Wichita, KS) - offered
WR Michael Floyd (St. Paul, MN) - offered

Wednesday, April 25
S Dan McCarthy (Youngstown, Ohio) - offered
DT Brandon Newman (Louisville, Ky.) - offered
TE Kyle Rudolph (Cincinnati, OH) - committed

Thursday, April 26
WR Jonathan Baldwin (Aliquippa, Pa.) - offered
LB Shayne Hale (Monroeville, Pa.) - offered
LB David Posluszny (Aliquippa, Pa.) - committed
LB Andrew Sweat (Washington, Pa.) - offered

Tuesday, May 1
Elite Combine, New Jersey
DT Masengo Kabongo (Fairfield, CT) - *at the combine
LB Brendan Beal (Roxbury, N.J.) - offered
OT Art Forst (Manasquan, N.J.) - offered
S Will Hill (Jersey City, N.J.) - offered
DT Hafis Williams (Elizabeth, N.J.) - * now committed

Wednesday, May 2
DB Robert Blanton (Matthews, N.C.) - offered
WR Brice Butler (Norcross, Ga.) - offered
DB Jamoris Slaughter (Stone Mountain, Ga.) - offered
DT Omar Hunter (Buford, GA) - offered

Friday, May 4
CB Jeremy Brown (Orlando, FL) - offered
NT Marcus Forston (Miami, FL) - offered
OL Matt Patchan (Armwood, FL) - offered
LB Etienne Sabino (Miami, Fla.) - offered
RB Carlton Thomas (Frostproof, Fla.) - offered
CB Xavier Brewer (Jacksonville, Fla.) - offered
CB T.J. Bryant (Tallahasee, Fla.) - offered
WR Martavious Odoms (Pahokee, Fla.) - offered

Wednesday, May 9
DE Chancey Aghayere (Garland, Tex.) - offered
RB Cyrus Gray (DeSoto, Tex.) - offered
DE Kapron Lewis-Moore (Weathorford, Tex.) - offered

Friday, May 11
WR A.J. Alexander (Altoona, Pa.) - offered
ATH Terrelle Pryor (Jeanette, Pa.) - offered

Tuesday, May 15
WR John Goodman (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - committed

This is his travel schedule for the recruiting trail, not to mention doing camps with junior high school students and working on the play book for next year.

He is married and hasa couple of kids with there head screwed on straight. Never heard about Bill Walsh having any issues what so ever with his family either. my point is It is a job you have to be able to juggle both and the hours suck, deal with it.

HOU-TEX
05-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Just one thing... I remember Carr as 1st in the strength room, most years. Now for not staying around after practice... No problem with that. I've seen too much brown nosing in my life.

What does strength have to do with reading a defense? Or not staring down recievers? Or fumbling too much? Or having the ball batted down at the LOS? But hey, who cares about that stuff when you can bench 300+ as a QB.:shades:

kiwitexansfan
05-17-2007, 03:05 PM
A couple of points in response.

In regards to the money.

David Carr auditioned for a job, with all the interviews etc that are done, I am sure they had a good read on his personality and priorities. They then hired the guy and gave him the contract. He didn't steal the money. They then after seeing him do what he does day in, day out for years, decide that they will extend his contract. Unless you are saying that Carr pulled the wool over their eyes, and he never let his priorities show, the failure lies with management when it comes to wasting money on him.

In regards to his inabilty to read defenses.

He had this knock coming out of college, it was a lack of skill thing. Some of these things you've either got or you haven't. I bet most of us in an NFL game situation couldn't do the job either even if we did nothing else but try and learn to do it.

In regards to my comments about the cost on families.

I'll stand by my opinion that families without dads around enough are the poorer for it. Not all will end in disaster no, but I believe it is better when dad is there.

Mr teX
05-17-2007, 03:11 PM

In regards to the money.

David Carr auditioned for a job, with all the interviews etc that are done, I am sure they had a good read on his personality and priorities. They then hired the guy and gave him the contract. He didn't steal the money. They then after seeing him do what he does day in, day out for years, decide that they will extend his contract. Unless you are saying that Carr pulled the wool over their eyes, and he never let his priorities show, the failure lies with management when it comes to wasting money on him.

He had this knock coming out of college, it was a lack of skill thing. Some of these things you've either got or you haven't. I bet most of us in an NFL game situation couldn't do the job either even if we did nothing else but try and learn to do it.

I'll stand by my opinion that families without dads around enough are the poorer for it. Not all will end in disaster no, but I believe it is better when dad is there.

I don't remember any talk of that when he was coming out, but then again i also didn't follow the draft that hard either. But if that was the case, then we got what we paid for. Looking back on that draft though, it looks like we just picked a bad year to begin a franchise. Almost everyone from that draft in the 1st round was a bust. I think Vinny or someone posted a link to an article that talked about this in detail.

NFLforher
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM

Excellent post!!!!

NFLforher
05-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I understand your perspective and share your feelings of David Carr being a class act and genuine nice guy. There is no doubt of that and a general consensus among fans that share this view.

And while I certainly agree that family should be a top priority...the fact remains that there are only 32 starting jobs on this planet as a QB for an NFL team. And if a player wants to compete (and succeed) with the best of the best, then said player will have to do the things that are required to perform at such an elite level.

An NFL player has a very finite time of his life to succeed in the pros. He has the rest of his life to be a father, and with the money that they make, they could have a much easier time than the rest of us once their careers are over. After all, I am required to work 40-60 hours a week to put a roof over our head and food on the table, and this will be my fate for the rest of my life. Carr, on the other hand, could retire today and be a stay at home dad for the rest of his life.

Use that finite time as an NFL player wisely is all I'm saying.

I agree with part of what you say. You can't always "make up" fatherhood when they are adults. It's too late. David had his first kid at 20. Same thing, with the NFL...can't really make up time there either.

Now, that being said, there are plenty of guys who work hard at their jobs, take care of the yard, cars etc etc and still have time to be good dads.

badboy
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with part of what you say. You can't always "make up" fatherhood when they are adults. It's too late. David had his first kid at 20. Same thing, with the NFL...can't really make up time there either.

Now, that being said, there are plenty of guys who work hard at their jobs, take care of the yard, cars etc etc and still have time to be good dads.

True, but most of those dads and I was one, do not come home from work dragging their butt in a tow sack after it was knock off by one or two 300 pounders.

Mr. White
05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
There are some jobs where a guy has to put his family on the back burner if he wants to succeed. NFL quarterback is one of them. That's why they are so well compensated for the trade off.

NitroGSXR
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Now, I don't have kids nor a family so my answer may be on the unpopular side.

I'm not a season ticket holder just yet but I do watch every single one of the Texans games. I've been to several games and I own so much Texans merchandise. I think I've earned the right to say a little bit here. Of course not as much as many of you guys but still...

I'm 30 years old and about to turn 31 and do not have a kid. What does David having a kid at 20 mean to me? Absolutely nothing. It means that he wasn't careful and he's paying the price for it. Obviously it's a price that he's lovingly paying which I can respect.

I commend the guy for having an interest in his family but I didn't tune my TV in on Sundays to see him earn father of the year awards. He's here to play football. His personal life interests me none when it comes to Sundays. I turn my TV on to watch him lead the Houston Texans to victory. He was unable do that. Do I hate him for it? No. Not at all. He's been nothing but a class act and I respect that but that has nothing to do with him throwing the football.

Employers generally do NOT hire people on the basis of prospective employees' family needs. They hire them on the hops that their ability to do their jobs will meet or exceed the managements' expectations. David did not meet those expectations and he was fired for it. Rightfully so. It doesn't make him any less of a dad nor does it make him any more of a QB.

Sorry but I could care less about him and his personal life. I just wanted him to do his job.

Double Barrel
05-17-2007, 04:16 PM

True, but most of those dads and I was one, do not come home from work dragging their butt in a tow sack after it was knock off by one or two 300 pounders.

Both of these statements are certainly true, but remember the NFL season is only 4-5 months long (not including playoffs, which obviously does not apply to Carr & the Texans).

There are some jobs where a guy has to put his family on the back burner if he wants to succeed. NFL quarterback is one of them. That's why they are so well compensated for the trade off.

Exactly.

And what of those dad's that are serving in Iraq and Afganistan? They get paid 0.001% of what DC makes, and they don't have the benefit of sleeping in their own homes and having several months of off-season.

infantrycak
05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
It means that he wasn't careful and he's paying the price for it.

Dude, he was married. No that doesn't mean it wasn't an accident but you have no knowledge whether it was planned or not.

quicksilver
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm a little disappointed to see a Schaub thread morph into another freaking Carr thread, so to try to get back on track, here's something I look at as an indication that Kubes and Smith had a good idea what they were getting with Matt. Bill Musgrave, who was Schaub's QB coach in Atlanta last season, was a backup QB with the Broncos while Kubiak was QB coach there. Both Kubiak and Musgrave trace their coaching lineage from the Bill Walsh system. I'm therefore reassured that someone Kubiak know's personally vouches for Schaub and I'm reassured that Schaub has played/practiced/studied an offensive system that we, largely, are implementing.

*edit* Reading further, I see that Musgrave was OC at U of Va while Schaub was QB there.

The substance on which I based this was memory supplemented by wikipedia accounts for Gary Kubiak and Bill Musgrave.

Texan_Bill
05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I am sure people remember this stuff (the article is dated 2002), but this is something to consider being an NFL QB.

Player perspective (http://cgi.cnnsi.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/08/13/life_of_reilly/)

The Pencil Neck
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I hear what you are saying here and agree that hard work pays off and guys like that get places but I have to ask at what cost.

One of my wife's favorite quotes comes from Barbara Walters who said that you there are basically three elements: family, relationship, and career. You can devote time and energy to any two of those elements to make them "great" but it's very rare to be able to devote sufficient time and energy to all three to make them "great" and you shouldn't count on being able to do it.

There are certain jobs where you have huge demands on your time and energy. If you choose one of those jobs for your career, then you've got to expect at least one of the other three elements to suffer. And if you try to do everything, you frequently end up screwing up at all of them.

When my wife and I got married (20 years ago), we discussed this and made a conscious decision to devote our time and energy to each other and to our careers. We don't have children. It would have been unfair to our children if we would have had them and having children probably would have broken us up because we would have been trying to juggle too many things at once.

If you're an NFL QB or Coach, you've got to make that same sort of decision. To be able to do your job successfully, you're going to have to devote a lot more time to your job than just 50 hours a week. You're not going to have a lot of extra time to devote to your wife AND your kids. Your life will be much easier if you skip the kids until your career is over. If you do have kids, you better find a wife that just wants to concentrate on you and the kids and not really do anything else.

At least, that's the way I see it.

NitroGSXR
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Dude, he was married. No that doesn't mean it wasn't an accident but you have no knowledge whether it was planned or not.

I just distinctly remember him getting married as a result of the pregnancy. I'm not David Carr so he'd be the one to ask.

Of course, I have no knowledge of any of this. I'm not claiming that I do. Never once did I claim that. Your response indicates that I was. I'm just a fan who's responding to other fans' posts. That's it. Nothing more.

infantrycak
05-17-2007, 04:30 PM
No idea how accurate this is, but interesting and I would have thought Casserly's crack team should have sniffed this kind of info out:

[The summer between HS and college] David embarked on an ambitious training program, waking up mornings at 5:30 to begin his workouts. His goal was to start all four years for the Bulldogs. But his plan hit a snag one afternoon when he spotted a cute 16-year-old girl at a Christian camp. Her name was Melody Tipton, and David was in love the minute he saw her. A talented musician, she also liked football. (Her favorite player was Troy Aikman.) After their first date, they were certain they were meant to be together.

When David arrived at the Fresno State campus in 1997, he was miserable. He missed Melody terribly, and his state of mind affected every part of his life. On the field, David wasnít focused. More than once he showed up late for meetings, and he didnít do nearly enough in practice to earn any serious playing time. The backup to starter Billy Volek, he appeared in just four games, hitting on five of 11 passes for 53 yards. Away from the gridiron, David was also a mess. Normally a good student, he got awful grades. He also racked up huge phone bills talking with Melody, and raced home at every opportunity to see her.

The situation didnít improve much in Davidís sophomore season. While he saw more game actionóhe passed for 228 yards and a score in seven gamesóhe wasnít close to fulfilling his immense potential. Coach Hill finally sat David down in his office for a heart-to-heart talk. The 19-year-old admitted that being apart from Melody was the source of all his problems. Hill advised him to forget about her, but David couldnít. Within months, he and Melody were married. She then made plans to live with David in an off-campus apartment. Melody enrolled at nearby Fresno City College to study Child Development.

Link (http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Carr/Carr_bio.html)

infantrycak
05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I just distinctly remember him getting married as a result of the pregnancy.

See the link above--he was married in 1998 and Austin was born in 2000.

Double Barrel
05-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I am sure people remember this stuff (the article is dated 2002), but this is something to consider being an NFL QB.

Player perspective (http://cgi.cnnsi.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/08/13/life_of_reilly/)

Wow, thanks for posting. I never read any of that before.

I wonder if Elway would trade it (NFL career & championships) all back to have a normal life in the suburbs as a father who works as an accountant (or whatever). Basically, does he still consider the trade off worth it in hindsight?

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 04:49 PM

In regards to the money.

ask any CEO, growing small business owner, or high profile athlete. you have to make sacrifices in order to excel at your job. the hours can be insane. If you want to be a stay-at-home dad, then you need to not chase dreams of NFL glory. Life isn't 'Leave It To Beaver' anymore and no amount of pontificating or reminiscing will change that. Carr chose family over career. Football doesnt mean much to him. The money does but the competition means nothing. That is the root of the problem with him at QB. You can't 'half arse' QB in the NFL. His career is testimonial to this.

Carr chose to resign his contract even though he dreaded coming to work. You can't have it both ways, David. The reality is that most of us who have kids spend more time away from our kids than David Carr did and did so with far fewer resources and our kids are all doing fine if we give them attention and love when we are there.

So is it better to have 2 parents work and scramble to make ends meet and have a daycare/babysitter raise your kid half the time -or- have 1 parent make 4million a year and the mom can stay home and be a mother? this isn't the 50's anymore. And as for 'first in the weight room'...that is mularkey. he was notoriously absent from the training facility and from the practice field.

bottom line, the guy is gone and good riddance. he can take his family time and snake oil salesmanship and sell it to Panther fan for all I care..
I ain't buying

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM

ugly truths....great link and very informative and appropriate for this morphed carr thread

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 04:55 PM
No idea how accurate this is, but interesting and I would have thought Casserly's crack team should have sniffed this kind of info out:

Link (http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Carr/Carr_bio.html)

sounds like someone was possywhooped.....i am sure McNair thought it was cute....doubt he feels the same way now

bottom line is that Derek Zoolander plays for the Panthers and will never don a Texans uniform again...HALLELUJAH

Runner
05-17-2007, 04:59 PM

Since he quit playing, lucky number 7 has hit the worst losing streak of his life. Elway's father died, most of his business ventures flopped, his wife left him and, three weeks ago, his twin sister passed away. Boy, where's the parade when you need it?

Do people who have these things happen to them that weren't former NFL QBs get a parade, or are former NFL QBs the only people who feel bad about this kind of stuff? I don't think he is entitled to anything more than anyone else, so I think the article is hokey in some parts.

With success comes the fortune, but it also brings the fame that limits a player's privacy and eats up their time. I don't know how many of them would actually trade all the wealth for anonymity; they work hard to get it in the first place. Sometimes normal people can't get off work to car pool either; so I don't see the point there either.

Personally, I don't approach players I don't know in public if I run across them. I let them have their peace.

Texans_Chick
05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Ha. Lots of answers but here's one that hasn't been said yet.....

People are high on Schaub because instead of having a QB that fans will do endless puns of his name, we have a quarterback who will cause a lot of fans to misspell his name.

The thing that Schaub provides at this point is hope. Something that has been in short supply in these parts. If he is great, terrific, and if not, well then there is always someone else.

:texflag:

Runner
05-17-2007, 05:08 PM
People are high on Schaub because instead of having a QB that fans will do endless puns of his name, we have a quarterback who will cause a lot of fans to misspell his name.

I like Schaub because if a road crowd gets too noisy, he can just put cotten schwaubs in his ears and concentrate.

Runner
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
If he doesn't do well this season, you can bet the Texans will schaup around for some new o-lineman next year.

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
If he doesn't do well this season, you can bet the Texans will schaup around for some new o-lineman next year.

I didn't know you worked for ESPN. :user:

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Ha. Lots of answers but here's one that hasn't been said yet.....

The thing that Schaub provides at this point is hope. Something that has been in short supply in these parts. If he is great, terrific, and if not, well then there is always someone else.

yup, and something tells me we won't wait 5 years to come to a conclusion.

bayshorebevo
05-17-2007, 05:44 PM
We'll know if he's any good halfway through the season. There is no way to know at this point in time because he has not played enough to know anything. The average poster on this website is much more optimistic than the average Texan fan and believes the FO can do no wrong. That is why it seems like everybody is so high on him. Remember how high everybody was on DC for his first few years.

Runner
05-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I didn't know you worked for ESPN. :user:

Nope. I just don't think everything has been fixed yet. They are making progress, but there are still some weak positions - the line has a couple of them in key spots. One in the middle, one on the end.

Second Honeymoon
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Nope. I just don't think everything has been fixed yet. They are making progress, but there are still some weak positions - the line has a couple of them in key spots. One in the middle, one on the end.

i agree completely. just givin ya a hard time but mostly just making fun of ESPN robotic takes

Runner
05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
i agree completely. just givin ya a hard time but mostly just making fun of ESPN robotic takes

OK. I'll schtaup.

kiwitexansfan
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry for high jacking the Schaub thread.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the informed and reasoned debate.

I really like the tone of this message board and am proud to be a patron of it.

And on that note just let me say, that I hope that we know have a quarterback that can get the schaub done.

Kaiser Toro
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Do people who have these things happen to them that weren't former NFL QBs get a parade, or are former NFL QBs the only people who feel bad about this kind of stuff? I don't think he is entitled to anything more than anyone else, so I think the article is hokey in some parts.

With success comes the fortune, but it also brings the fame that limits a player's privacy and eats up their time. I don't know how many of them would actually trade all the wealth for anonymity; they work hard to get it in the first place. Sometimes normal people can't get off work to car pool either; so I don't see the point there either.

Personally, I don't approach players I don't know in public if I run across them. I let them have their peace.

Thank you for typing what I was about to profess.

Double Barrel
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, playing QB in the NFL is a tough shaub, but someone has to do it.

ledzeppelin229
05-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Well, playing QB in the NFL is a tough shaub, but someone has to do it.

As long as he doesn't carr-y on the past, we should be in good shape.

I feel like I'm in an Austin Powers movie where the joke has run on too long.

Texanmike02
05-17-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm not one of the ones that jumped on the bandwagon after the move happened. I was on this bandwagon sometime in January. Guys on the board before the move will tell you... I wanted this kid.I watched Schaub play, read the reviews... watched some more.. and flat out this kid has it. I'm not proclaiming to be a profit... everyone who is around this kid for more than an hour says the same thing. How often do teams talk about designing plays to get their backup in the game? At the end of last season that's what Atlanta was considering doing. They have an overpriced sportscenter creation at QB or it would have been the Mat Schaub hour. He has the tools; the arm strength, the poise, pocket presence, leadership and touch now you're right.. maybe it doesn't work out... maybe he doesn't put it all together. But if you're asking why everyone is so high on him... its the likely potential that he is going to change the course of the franchise.

Mike

Boris
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
And on that note just let me say, that I hope that we know have a quarterback that can get the schaub done.

smoothly appropriate

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=git+er+done
Git Er Done
A phrase used primarily by southern/country males or "Rednecks" meaning to go ahead and complete a task.

Texan Kiwi! :howdy:

kiwitexansfan
05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I feel like I'm in an Austin Powers movie where the joke has run on too long.

I was half way through a bad pun when that same though crossed through my head and then I stopped. All I could hear was moley moley moley moley moley.

Porky
05-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Though Houston has only been through two practices, Kubiak is already encouraged by what he's seen from Schaub.

"Matt is to me is very composed," Kubiak said. "Watching him operate with everybody and getting everybody lined up. 'You get here. You get there,' and the young guys get in the huddle with him and they don't panic. They can ask him and he's got control of all 11 of them."

:fans: :texflag:

NFLforher
05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Now, I don't have kids nor a family so my answer may be on the unpopular side.

I'm not a season ticket holder just yet but I do watch every single one of the Texans games. I've been to several games and I own so much Texans merchandise. I think I've earned the right to say a little bit here. Of course not as much as many of you guys but still...

I'm 30 years old and about to turn 31 and do not have a kid. What does David having a kid at 20 mean to me? Absolutely nothing. It means that he wasn't careful and he's paying the price for it. Obviously it's a price that he's lovingly paying which I can respect.

I commend the guy for having an interest in his family but I didn't tune my TV in on Sundays to see him earn father of the year awards. He's here to play football. His personal life interests me none when it comes to Sundays. I turn my TV on to watch him lead the Houston Texans to victory. He was unable do that. Do I hate him for it? No. Not at all. He's been nothing but a class act and I respect that but that has nothing to do with him throwing the football.

Employers generally do NOT hire people on the basis of prospective employees' family needs. They hire them on the hops that their ability to do their jobs will meet or exceed the managements' expectations. David did not meet those expectations and he was fired for it. Rightfully so. It doesn't make him any less of a dad nor does it make him any more of a QB.

Sorry but I could care less about him and his personal life. I just wanted him to do his job.

Wasn't careful? Lol...not all pregnancies are unplanned.

I agree with much of what you say. The NFL is a demanding job... much more so than most.

However, you took what I said out of context.

I was responding to the guy who basically stated that fatherhood could be put on hold until his NFL career is over.

I have too much respect for fathers to think that you can just step into the role years later and have the same effect as if you were parenting all along.

NFLforher
05-17-2007, 10:25 PM
I just distinctly remember him getting married as a result of the pregnancy. I'm not David Carr so he'd be the one to ask.

Your memory is flawed. David got married and had Austin 14 months later.

His wife is not an elephant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_13_226/ai_84546185

On March 27, 1999, they wed. They both were 19. Fourteen months later, Melody gave birth to a baby boy, Austin.

cuppacoffee
05-17-2007, 11:55 PM
carr was a total clock puncher. it makes me so happy to hear quality fans coming around to these facts. it also makes me happy that it seems the Carr fans have gone away and now just Texans fans are left. maybe they shut down California IP addresses to this board :)
(sorry hollywood texan, your always welcome)

love the new err old board

It was possible to be both.

This Carr fan hasn't gone anywhere. Carr is gone, so I don't feel the need to bring his name up in discussions here. I've let it go and moved on.

And then there are those who seem to think bringing up Carrs name and his subsequent release authenticates the "hate" they displayed against him. :deadhorse

Contrary to what the Carr haters may think, nothing, nothing has been proven yet.

Quality fans? Don't break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back.

I don't feel the need to have a MB poster's approval to feel I am a Texan fan even though I supported Carr.

:coffee:

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 12:16 AM

This Carr fan hasn't gone anywhere. Carr is gone, so I don't feel the need to bring his name up in discussions here. I've let it go and moved on.

And then there are those who seem to think bringing up Carrs name and his subsequent release authenticates the "hate" they displayed against him. :deadhorse

Contrary to what the Carr haters may think, nothing, nothing has been proven yet.

I don't feel the need to have a MB poster's approval to feel I am a Texan fan even though I supported Carr.

back away from the keyboard and your self righteousness while you are at it. I was merely stating that many of the posters who were more Carr fans than Texans fans (thus the California references) have become more or less extinct around here.

As for being a fan, a player has to do more than wear the hometown jersey for me to be a fan of said player.....I supported the guy just like I would any Texan player but what did he ever do to merit any fandom. that's right. nothing.

but whatever, make a mountain out of a molehill if you want to.....I won't lose any sleep over it...trust me....you may want to try decaf

NitroGSXR
05-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Your memory is flawed. David got married and had Austin 14 months later.

His wife is not an elephant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_13_226/ai_84546185

On March 27, 1999, they wed. They both were 19. Fourteen months later, Melody gave birth to a baby boy, Austin.

Yes, I know. Infantrycak pointed this out to me already. English is my second language so I worded it wrong more than anything else (I'm Deaf). I meant to say that I thought that I somewhat remembered it as of him getting married as a result. Either way, I was wrong. I'm working on it. Bear with me. I'm just a casual fan who's now gotten himself in really deep by joining this message board and trying to make contributions. WHOO HOO! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!

As for your previous post, I really wasn't singling you out nor taking your post out of context. I just wanted to put forth my thoughts on the matter that was being discussed at the time. It had nothing to do with you and was not an attack on your post in any way whatsoever. I hope we're good to go.

kiwitexansfan
05-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Bear with me. I'm just a casual fan who's now gotten himself in really deep by joining this message board and trying to make contributions. WHOO HOO! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!

Don't worry Nitro not all of us on here can be football gurus, I think as long as your passionate for the team and play nice you will get along ok. Hey I have only ever watched 3 Texans games and I butt my nose in all over the place.

So you have to be ahead of me.

Specnatz
05-18-2007, 05:56 AM
back away from the keyboard and your self righteousness while you are at it. I was merely stating that many of the posters who were more Carr fans than Texans fans (thus the California references) have become more or less extinct around here.

As for being a fan, a player has to do more than wear the hometown jersey for me to be a fan of said player.....I supported the guy just like I would any Texan player but what did he ever do to merit any fandom. that's right. nothing.

but whatever, make a mountain out of a molehill if you want to.....I won't lose any sleep over it...trust me....you may want to try decaf

Second your hatred of carr and then taking that out on anyone from Cali is what gets to people, you also took it out by saying things about his family and in a way you shouldn't have. Being a Carr fan is not wrong and wishing the guy well is not wrong either and you need to lay off certain comments, not only for your own good but for the good of the board. you say he needs to try decaf? I say when you see anything remotely ressembling a carr thread you need to shut your pc off and run (not back away slowly) away as fast as you can.

Specnatz
05-18-2007, 06:02 AM

:texans chick:

I know you try to calm folks down and not get ahead of themselves incase there is a let down; but at this time the fans, the franchise and the owner all need the hope and more of it.

:fans: :texflag: :toast2:

thunderkyss
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM

#1, when David Carr became our starting QB, we were just as excited, and optimistic about our football future. When the Cardinals drafted Lienart, so were they, regardless of the fact they had a SuperBowl Champion & SuperBowl MVP already on their roster at QB. Philip Rivers was the source of optimism though they had Drew Brees, and the Broncos couldn't wait to replace there multi-Pro Bowl QB with Jay Cutler.

None of those guys had even worn an NFL Helmet much less played in a game, yet their fans were optimistic about the future of their team.

Matt Schaub was just as successful at the college level as any of those guys in college, with the exception of Matt Lienart. Why shouldn't we be excited??

Texan_Bill
05-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Going back to the first page of this thread and some others POV, Schaub represents nothing more than a "breath of fresh air" or as TC so eloquently put it, "hope". Until its proven on the field, Schaub is nothing more or less...

Ironically, there seems to be a few that can not let their hatred for Carr go and it consumes them enough that they have to work it in, every chance they get..... Those folks that this applies to, may need to seek some professional help....

Kaiser Toro
05-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Schaub provides optimism at the QB position while Carr never did due to his over hyped abilities. Will Schaub do it? I do not know. But I do know that he is a guy that does the things that leaders do and he does not do the things that faux-leaders do.

Carr was the enemy within and he is even a greater enemy now since we play his new team in week 2 while still paying for him on our salary cap. I hope he has a chance to play against us and we end this ridiculous notion that he is an NFL QB.

With Schaub and Sage I am more comfortable than ever that the starting QB will not hurt us.

Wolf
05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
personally, I don't know

I have faith in the coaching staff that they have seen this guy in practice or mop up duty or whatever. I believe that the Texan coaching staff has done their homework

besides that, who knows how Schaub will actually be until the season starts

NitroGSXR
05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Whether or not if he's a proven commodity... here's what I like about him. He's a new face and that's consistent with a new franchise. I do like the idea of building from ground up. Yes, I know it's been 5 years but in the eyes of the NFL, we just may as well be in our first season.

David Carr failed at his job alas he was our failure and that's a failure I'm proud to be a part of as a budding franchise.

Garcia and Tim Rattay were two QBs that I was targeting at the time because I don't feel that Quinn nor Russell would fit in our mold with the direction of our staff is taking and I knew that David Carr was NOT the answer.

As much as I love the Ahman Green signing, I'm glad that we've relatively left the face of our franchise open to newcomers. I realize Schaub isn't a 'newcomer' per se but he is definitely an informed and trained newcomer which fits our mold even better. He has never been a starter. Groomed to be a starter by the Falcons but he will be our starter.

It's why I'm so high on Matt Schaub. He's not David Carr and he's not the former (insert NFL team here) starting QB. The Texans will be where Matt Schaub took over the reins of a football team and becomes the face of the franchise. I'm proud that Carr started his career here as well as Matt Schaub.

I hope he succeeds! Of course! I also won't abandon all ye hope in him. It's the front office that I'll be keeping a CLOSE eye on. Either the guy can lead a football team or he can't. You won't hear me downing him just as well as I never downed Carr. Our front office took too long firing him and I believe that they've learned their mistake here with Carr and the extension signing. I don't down a business because of their employees. I down a business because of their management. It all lies with them. I apply the same to the Houston Texans.

Matt Schaub.:fans:

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Second your hatred of carr and then taking that out on anyone from Cali is what gets to people, you also took it out by saying things about his family and in a way you shouldn't have. Being a Carr fan is not wrong and wishing the guy well is not wrong either and you need to lay off certain comments, not only for your own good but for the good of the board. you say he needs to try decaf? I say when you see anything remotely ressembling a carr thread you need to shut your pc off and run (not back away slowly) away as fast as you can.

hahaha. whatever. i have been playing nice but feel free to pile on. *yawns*

NFLforher
05-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Yes, I know. Infantrycak pointed this out to me already. English is my second language so I worded it wrong more than anything else (I'm Deaf). I meant to say that I thought that I somewhat remembered it as of him getting married as a result. Either way, I was wrong. I'm working on it. Bear with me. I'm just a casual fan who's now gotten himself in really deep by joining this message board and trying to make contributions. WHOO HOO! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!

As for your previous post, I really wasn't singling you out nor taking your post out of context. I just wanted to put forth my thoughts on the matter that was being discussed at the time. It had nothing to do with you and was not an attack on your post in any way whatsoever. I hope we're good to go.

We're good to go! I'm assuming that ASL is your first language?

You are fantastic with your second language. I'm aware of how hard it can be for deaf folks (especially those deaf at birth) to assimilate language concepts due to their hearing impairment. Kudos!

Yes, we're all posting here and I meant to convey my respect for fathers. Mommy isn't daddy. Daddies are so important.

NFLforher
05-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Great post! :texflag:

There are those who did not like Carr's play and/or lack of leadership skills.

Then there are those who exhibit some kind of dysfunction with their hate.

Anyway, I can't wait for the season to begin!

cuppacoffee
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Awww... Hurt your little feelings huh... lol:

Read you original post:

" it seems the Carr fans have gone away and now just Texans fans are left"

Then your reply:.

"I was merely stating that many of the posters who were more Carr fans than Texans fans (thus the California references) have become more or less extinct around here."

Just a little revisionism added to your reply.

I'm not the one with the reading comprehension problem.

Answering a Carr detractor gets me neg rep suggesting I should learn to read. I read well enough to recognize BS when I see it.

Need I tell you where you can put your neg rep...:heh:

I'll take self righteousness over ignorance seven days a week.

Texan fans are excited about the changes, changes that needed to be made.

Why can't you be happy about the change without slamming our previous qb or his fans.

BTW. Seaport dark roast with plenty of caffeine...:D

NFLforher
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Good advice!

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Awww... Hurt your little feelings huh... lol:

Read you original post:

" it seems the Carr fans have gone away and now just Texans fans are left"

Then your reply:.

"I was merely stating that many of the posters who were more Carr fans than Texans fans (thus the California references) have become more or less extinct around here."

Just a little revisionism added to your reply.

I'm not the one with the reading comprehension problem.

Answering a Carr detractor gets me neg rep suggesting I should learn to read. I read well enough to recognize BS when I see it.

Need I tell you where you can put your neg rep...:heh:

I'll take self righteousness over ignorance seven days a week.

Texan fans are excited about the changes, changes that needed to be made.

Why can't you be happy about the change without slamming our previous qb or his fans.

BTW. Seaport dark roast with plenty of caffeine...:D

translation: my peepee hurts

I won't be dragged into a flame war as that is not what this board is about and its a disservice to the community in general.

you may want to grow up a little bit. just a hunch.

someone please bring this thread back on topic like it was before all this whining started.

Specnatz
05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
translation: my peepee hurts

I won't be dragged into a flame war as that is not what this board is about and its a disservice to the community in general.

you may want to grow up a little bit. just a hunch.

someone please bring this thread back on topic like it was before all this whining started.

Thank You John Granato.

You give neg rep to someone because you do not like what they say and then ask for all the whinning to stop?
:potkettle:

Geesh I wish training camp would start already. :texflag:

OzzO
05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not one of the ones that jumped on the bandwagon after the move happened. I was on this bandwagon sometime in January. Guys on the board before the move will tell you... I wanted this kid.I watched Schaub play, read the reviews... watched some more.. and flat out this kid has it. I'm not proclaiming to be a profit... everyone who is around this kid for more than an hour says the same thing. How often do teams talk about designing plays to get their backup in the game? At the end of last season that's what Atlanta was considering doing. They have an overpriced sportscenter creation at QB or it would have been the Mat Schaub hour. He has the tools; the arm strength, the poise, pocket presence, leadership and touch now you're right.. maybe it doesn't work out... maybe he doesn't put it all together. But if you're asking why everyone is so high on him... its the likely potential that he is going to change the course of the franchise.

Mike

quoted... maybe not for truth, but emphasis.

<gasp> maybe we just acquired a QB that has "IT" :doot:

I'm high on Schaub for the same optimistic reason I'm a Texans fan - 'cause da** it feels we're finally on the right track, and the best time to be optimistic is before each season starts.

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Thank You John Granato.

You give neg rep to someone because you do not like what they say and then ask for all the whinning to stop?
:potkettle:

Geesh I wish training camp would start already. :texflag:

i gave him negative rep for coming out of nowhere and trying to make this thread about me. this thread is about Schaub and if you review this thread you will see that the posting was about Schaub for the most part. i had been playing nice and he misinterpreted my comments that were meant to explain how happy I was about the tone of the board and how it was now populated mostly by Texans fans and not Carr zealots who always seemed to care more about him than the team. The post he quoted actually was a post that quoted you and essentially reiterated the same thing you said. Sorry that I agreed with you....i guess *shrugs shoulders*

Oh and as for him whining about negative rep, just take a gander at my rep history. I wear it like a badge of honor as I having been right since Day One about many things, not just Carr. I was not one of the sheeple. I am proud of this. At least I don't whine and cry about it and then look for sympathy from others when someone neg reps me.

but whatever, thanks for trying to get the thread back on topic :sarcasm:

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
quoted... maybe not for truth, but emphasis.

<gasp> maybe we just acquired a QB that has "IT" :doot:

I'm high on Schaub for the same optimistic reason I'm a Texans fan - 'cause da** it feels we're finally on the right track, and the best time to be optimistic is before each season starts.

I just like the fact that he seems to be focused on turning things around and is willing to do what it takes to make it happen (arriving early, leaving late, working with his teammates in offseason)

We needed a new start and we got it. Color me happy.

infantrycak
05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
'contributor' :sarcasm:

Contributor means he donated to help support this site. Not sure what is mock worthy about that.

A Texan
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM

You can count on this guy to start more negative threads just to put down Schaub, the Texans, and other players just because that's what trolls do. Remember this is the same guy that stated the Texans would lose to K.C. without giving a reason, then celebrated it with a banana caricature cracking a whip.

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Contributor means he donated to help support this site. Not sure what is mock worthy about that.

nothing mock worthy about that at all.

Specnatz, I was ignorant to what 'contributor' meant in regards to this board and I fully apologize to you for that comment. 100% unintentional.

Double Barrel
05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Going back to the first page of this thread and some others POV, Schaub represents nothing more than a "breath of fresh air" or as TC so eloquently put it, "hope". Until its proven on the field, Schaub is nothing more or less...

Ironically, there seems to be a few that can not let their hatred for Carr go and it consumes them enough that they have to work it in, every chance they get..... Those folks that this applies to, may need to seek some professional help....

yeah...ummm...about all that...I was looking forward to the day that Carr threads would be relegated to the NFL section...but I guess old habits die hard for some folks.

Maybe next year this time will be better. Please make it stop. :worm:

Wolfiegrrl
05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow, the testosterone in here is almost suffocating.

I will proudly admit that I was a Carr fan. He did what he felt he could for the team. Because he wore a Texans Uniform I routed for him.

Do I think his comments about the Texans in the last several weeks were called for? No. However, everyone has a right to state a greivence with their most previous employer. We all do it. I mean there usually has to be a reason that you feel your job was no longer fun and you hated being there. Right?

Now, that he's gone... I'm in the process of changing out my number 8 jerseys for something more palpable for the next 5 or so years. Number 90 all the way baby!

As for being high on Schaub, the guy just has the perfect spiral that gets my heart pounding. Am I going to psychoanalize the guy? Nope. I just want him to get out there and play some football.

:cowboy1:

Texan_Bill
05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah...ummm...about all that...I was looking forward to the day that Carr threads would be relegated to the NFL section...but I guess old habits die hard for some folks.

Maybe next year this time will be better. Please make it stop. :worm:

4000 yards, 24 TD's, 5 picks and a 10-6 (or better) record would make it ALL stop...

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
a 9-7 record would be enough imho.

Texan_Bill
05-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I'd be okay with 9-7, too... :fans:

Double Barrel
05-18-2007, 03:24 PM
4000 yards, 24 TD's, 5 picks and a 10-6 (or better) record would make it ALL stop...

Now you're just trying to make me feel better...and it's working! :victory: :texflag:

Second Honeymoon
05-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd be okay with 9-7, too... :fans:

yup, could you imagine meaningful games in December. playoff race. oh man, that would be sweet....and it's possible.

Specnatz
05-18-2007, 03:28 PM

I need a cigarette after reading this.

:fans: :d: :texflag:

Texans_Chick
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Here's a blog post on the general subject:

Texans FanHouse: Matt Schaub for President (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/22/matt-schaub-for-president/)

Has links to various articles, video, and just a general comment about the Texans QB position.