PDA

View Full Version : Amobi- Next K. Williams or B. Bunkley?

Maddict5
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10181432

like the LT thread not sure should it be here or the nfl section.. mentions okoye and is kind of relevant to the texans

personally i think okoye will have an ok season- wont dominate or bust imo

The speed of the game is a whole other problem, especially with offensive lines that have worked together for years or are masters of the Alex Gibbs zone-blocking schemes. Rookie defensive tackles inevitably play too high to see the ball or the quarterback and it's easy pickings for the offensive linemen.

Health is also an issue for rookie defensive tackles. In the past four years, there have been 28 defensive tackles drafted on the first day of the draft (Rounds 1 through 3) and only 10 of the 28 were active for all 16 games their rookie season.

So with nine defensive tackles drafted on the first day of the 2007 draft, what do they really have to look forward to this season? Let's look back at the last four years to determine the future. Production expectations for a rookie defensive tackle has to be brought into a realistic area. Sure, Kevin Williams showed up as a first-round pick of the Vikings as a rookie in 2003 and started all 16 games and had 51 tackles, 10˝ sacks and four passes defended, but he's the exception, not the rule. Will first-round picks Amobi Okoye (Houston) or Justin Harrell (Green Bay) be the next Kevin Williams or will they be the next Brodrick Bunkley? Bunkley didn't start a game and had nine tackles, no sacks, no forced fumbles and no passes defended as a rookie for the Eagles last season.

kiwitexansfan
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
He will start because of our issues at DT and that will put him closer to Williams than Bunkley.

But lets be realistic, not many DT's ever get double digit sacks so don't expect that.

Expect a similiar year to the one Mario had, solid yet unspectacular with the odd moment of greatness and mediocrity thrown in.

Texans_Chick
05-14-2007, 04:34 PM
He will start because of our issues at DT and that will put him closer to Williams than Bunkley.

But lets be realistic, not many DT's ever get double digit sacks so don't expect that.

Expect a similiar year to the one Mario had, solid yet unspectacular with the odd moment of greatness and mediocrity thrown in.

There is no telling.

His attitude and history of acheivement looks good.

However, there is not much of a track record of 19 year old DTs, no matter how bright and motivated they are.

In addition, we have no clue what this defense can do. The coaching staff has never coached together before, there is a new line coach for the line, and the defense is very young. Kubiak at the draft luncheon talked a bit about how young that defense is.

No outcome for our defense would be surprising to me. They could be great or they could stink on ice or be somewhere in the middle. I just don't want a three game stretch like the beginning of last season as I never want to have to ask the question again in a blog post, "Is this the worst NFL defense of all times?"

Dallas_Texan
05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10181432

like the LT thread not sure should it be here or the nfl section.. mentions okoye and is kind of relevant to the texans

personally i think okoye will have an ok season- wont dominate or bust imo

Great Post. I have to agree with Kiwi...I think Amobi will be mediocre with some streaks of brilliance. I think we can expect to see him dominate at least one game this year.....which wouldn't be bad. What I DO expect to see though, is Mario start dominating. As long as Amobi just plays better than TJ, then Mario should intimidate some Offenses my the middle of this season. Personally I can't wait. I still think that the defense, and the future of our team is going to come down to either Harrison or Bennett stepping up this year. If just one of them steps up to be a high quality player, then that puts us in a great position next draft. Imagine if we were in a position after possible 1 defensive FA to draft all offense next year:fans:

Goldensilence
05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
In fairness to Broderick Bunkley the Eagles have a deep DT and DE rotation. The fact they were able to trade away a solid player like Darwin Walker should say something. Andy Reid's Philsophy has been building in the trenches for the most part in his tenure there. Though the Kolb Pick has me a bit confused.

I think I'll agree with Kiwi's assesment though. Solid year with flashes of brilliance. Amobi should have a solid core to start with and i think given the right circumstances(like ANY player) should succeed.

nunusguy
05-14-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm far more concerned about Mario and waiting to see if he becomes a real D playmaker and not an average NFL defensive player. Amobi is even younger and though not cheap at #10, he wasn't the #1 overall that Mario was and I think we will all will be willing to give him atleast a couple years to produce.

TK_Gamer
05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm far more concerned about Mario and waiting to see if he becomes a real D playmaker and not an average NFL defensive player. Amobi is even younger and though not cheap at #10, he wasn't the #1 overall that Mario was and I think we will all will be willing to give him atleast a couple years to produce.

actually the accepted consensus is 3 years for lineman on either side of the ball, wich means we are by no means in trouble anywhere, TJ is even ok, although he needs to show something substantial this year, mario is in year 2 and Amobi is a rookie in year 1, as are a few late round/UDFA's. I know the money thing comes into play also, but face it, not all high draft picks are pro bowlers, EVER. it's just the nature of the game. The term bust, however is a relative one. I call a player that can't contribute substantially as a starter a bust after 3 years, but some panic after 1. if you read the link, it shows, the odds are not good of ever producing a pro-bowler from the draft, in a any round. all that being said, I think the Texans will do fine this year, and better next year, and even better the year after. that's all I want is consistent mesurable improvement. call me old fashioned ... GO TEXANS!

kiwitexansfan
05-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I just keep on thinking bank to the Giants game and the comments Bob Whitfield made. I want to hear more of that this year about Mario.

I want Left Tackles lying in bed awake at night all week before the game, I want quarterbacks hearing footsteps and backs and TE's being kpet in to block...... well I just want a dominant defensive line basically.

Mario and Okoye, could be the start of something beautiful.

nunusguy
05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I just keep on thinking bank to the Giants game and the comments Bob Whitfield made. I want to hear more of that this year about Mario.

That was one series of plays against a past his prime LT who was not close to being one of the best when in his prime.
Here's what really concerns me about Mario. I've seen posts on this Board and other Boards from Texans fans who when attending a game at Reliant gave Mario there undivided attention when he was on the field.
Some said for practically the whole game he was handled one-on-one very nicely by the opposition, and sometimes the opposition was a smallish TE who was maybe 20 lbs. lighter than Mario. That really concerns me.

The1ApplePie
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
That was one series of plays against a past his prime LT who was not close to being one of the best when in his prime.
Here's what really concerns me about Mario. I've seen posts on this Board and other Boards from Texans fans who when attending a game at Reliant gave Mario there undivided attention when he was on the field.
Some said for practically the whole game he was handled one-on-one very nicely by the opposition, and sometimes the opposition was a smallish TE who was maybe 20 lbs. lighter than Mario. That really concerns me.

If Mario can't bull rush a guy, he's useless:gun:

I remember Cooley (an H-Back) dominating Mario all game.

Trap_Star
05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
okoye = sapp...w/out the mouth....

Honoring Earl 34
05-14-2007, 09:45 PM

I'll error in the favor of optimism . I'm going with Trap Star . :fans:

infantrycak
05-14-2007, 09:55 PM

And we will have endless folks complaining about him being a bust or under performer if he only puts up rookie stats like Sapp--26 tackles, 3 sacks.

Second Honeymoon
05-14-2007, 10:16 PM
so is Mario the official Texans punching bag now that Carr is gone? did i miss the memo? Mario played hurt last year and still managed to hold his own while not further injuring himself. that is a good omen imho for this upcoming season. he is reportedly 100% and feels great. Let's give the guy a chance....he isn't ever going to be VY or RB...deal with it...

the guy (Mario) played under a mountain of pressure last year and I think he may be able to release some of that pressure with a good 2007 season. I would like to see him shoot for around 20 tackles-for-loss. Maybe make about 11 of them sacks. That would be the type of season that would silence the critics and convert the haters. keep your head up and show some heart Mario.

Trap_Star
05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
so is Mario the official Texans punching bag now that Carr is gone? did i miss the memo? Mario played hurt last year and still managed to hold his own while not further injuring himself. that is a good omen imho for this upcoming season. he is reportedly 100% and feels great. Let's give the guy a chance....he isn't ever going to be VY or RB...deal with it...

the guy (Mario) played under a mountain of pressure last year and I think he may be able to release some of that pressure with a good 2007 season. I would like to see him shoot for around 20 tackles-for-loss. Maybe make about 11 of them sacks. That would be the type of season that would silence the critics and convert the haters. keep your head up and show some heart Mario.

I nominate Travis Johnson as the new Texans punching bag....

kiwitexansfan
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I for one am concerned that Mario could be the new whipping boy for disgruntled fans if he doesn’t have an amazing season.

Yes Mario does need to play like a #1 pick, but if he only plays ok, and he gets dumped on like Carr was, will he have the resiliency and class that Carr showed when he was the whipping boy or will he cave under the pressure.

If we absolutely have to blame anyone, can we still blame Casserley and Capers.

infantrycak
05-14-2007, 11:45 PM
I would like to see him shoot for around 20 tackles-for-loss. Maybe make about 11 of them sacks.

FYI--sacks (QB behind LOS) are not generally included within TFL or stuffs (other ball carrier behind LOS).

ledzeppelin229
05-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I for one am concerned that Mario could be the new whipping boy for disgruntled fans if he doesn’t have an amazing season.

Yes Mario does need to play like a #1 pick, but if he only plays ok, and he gets dumped on like Carr was, will he have the resiliency and class that Carr showed when he was the whipping boy or will he cave under the pressure.

If we absolutely have to blame anyone, can we still blame Casserley and Capers.

I could trip over my own foot walking down the stairs and I would have no problem blaming Charley Casserly.

mexican_texan
05-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Okoye has shown in the Senior Bowl that he is at least better than Bunkley as of now, but it is obviously unclear whether he'll be anywhere close to Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp of old.

awtysst
05-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Okoye has shown in the Senior Bowl that he is at least better than Bunkley as of now, but it is obviously unclear whether he'll be anywhere close to Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp of old.

Man, if we had a Tommie Harris and a younger version...
:woot2

TexansSeminole
05-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Man, if we had a Tommie Harris and a younger version...
:woot2

That's pretty much what Okoye is projected to be.

Second Honeymoon
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
FYI--sacks (QB behind LOS) are not generally included within TFL or stuffs (other ball carrier behind LOS).

Then Mario should shoot for 8 or 9 TFL and 10+ sacks. I think you'd agree this would silence his critics and would begin to justify his selection.

Mr teX
05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
he'll be a key cog in a young, talented & developing defense where just about everyone is capable of making great plays. I don't think that any of our guys will put up astronomical individuals stats, but our overall defense will improve dramatically b/c of his addition & TJ's health. He'll struggle, but it won't be as bad as some might think; He'll be ok.