PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams tested positive...again!

Errant Hothy
05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2867381

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

I'm thinking that he'll never make it back to the NFL.

TexanAddict
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
You beat me to it

real
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
What-a-dope

powerfuldragon
05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
it's so easy to stop smoking pot. i really can't understand why he can't do it.

chicagotexan2
05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Tell me this is 2005 and my pc just hasn't refreshed. What a weak chump. Weed or Millions of dollars playing a game?

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 10:57 AM
What-a-dope

LMAO.... You're a punny guy!!

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
haha, clearly this guy has a problem.

LoBo time.

Kaiser Toro
05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
A waste of talent on the football field. Marijuana is non addictive, what a joke.

Double Barrel
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
He doesn't have the heart to play in the NFL. I've never disliked the guy, but I'm tired of hearing about him. Dude needs to just give up already, because he could have focussed for a few more years and then retired in Amsterdam.

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Marijuana is non addictive, what a joke.
not true at all.

Mr. White
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
He doesn't want to play football. He also wants to not pay the Dolphins back that bonus. This kills 2 birds with one stone.

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Here's an interesting article relating to the question of "Marijuana Addiction":

http://www.uhs.wisc.edu/display_story.jsp?id=736&cat_id=38

mike moffat
05-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Ricky "Puff-Puff" Williams....So long.
Maybe we won't hear anymore about him.
Adios chump.

Khari
05-11-2007, 12:29 PM
hasn't he been given enough chances already

nunusguy
05-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't get it ? Why would you want to smoke pot when you can drink beer ?
Beer - the nectar of the gods !

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 12:35 PM
hasn't he been given enough chances already
if 5 is considered enough, then yes.

Hervoyel
05-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Ricky isn't quitting because Ricky doesn't want to quit smoking. Ricky also doesn't want to play football anymore so Ricky should quite trying to pretend that he's trying to do that.

I have always believed that he was completely sincere when he retired and bailed out the first time. He should go smoke and call it a day. Then he should declare bankruptcy or whatever it takes to get the NFL and the Dolphins off his back. That would leave him free to go meditate and get stoned and it should be clear to everyone by now that these are the things Ricky wants to do.

It's his life and he should make a stand. I had more respect for him when he was saying "I'm out because I like my smoke and I don't want to be a cripple at middle age like Earl" than I do now. I don't think much of what he wants to do with his life but I'm all for him going away and trying to make himself happy. I'll support him as long as he's ok with the fact that in 20-30 years (if I'm still walking around on this rock) I'm going to have zero sympathy for his plight as a homeless stoner who sleeps under a freeway.

badboy
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Ricky isn't quitting because Ricky doesn't want to quit smoking. Ricky also doesn't want to play football anymore so Ricky should quite trying to pretend that he's trying to do that.

I have always believed that he was completely sincere when he retired and bailed out the first time. He should go smoke and call it a day. Then he should declare bankruptcy or whatever it takes to get the NFL and the Dolphins off his back. That would leave him free to go meditate and get stoned and it should be clear to everyone by now that these are the things Ricky wants to do.

It's his life and he should make a stand. I had more respect for him when he was saying "I'm out because I like my smoke and I don't want to be a cripple at middle age like Earl" than I do now. I don't think much of what he wants to do with his life but I'm all for him going away and trying to make himself happy. I'll support him as long as he's ok with the fact that in 20-30 years (if I'm still walking around on this rock) I'm going to have zero sympathy for his plight as a homeless stoner who sleeps under a freeway.

Wait, didn't he get a degree from U.T.? Can't he smoke dope and be a professor in California or something? Maybe he could run for political office on an honesty platform "I did inhale and I enjoyed it too".

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I just don't understand why the NFL cares if you smoke pot. I doubt he's chiefing up before the game and it's not a performance enhancing drug. The world needs to lighten up a bit.....geez.

real
05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
not true at all.

Mary Jane doesn't have anything in it that makes it addictive...

If you can't stop smoking pot it's the same thing as not being able to stop eating...or not being able to stop making it rain in strip clubs...

You don't go through withdrawls if you stop smoking weed...

real
05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
..it's not a performance enhancing drug...

I beg to difer...

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Mary Jane doesn't have anything in it that makes it addictive...

If you can't stop smoking pot it's the same thing as not being able to stop eating...or not being able to stop making it rain in strip clubs...

It's not physically addicting, but mentally it is, and mental addictions are harder to quit than physical addictions.

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I beg to difer...

What does pot do to enhance your performance on the field?

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:15 PM
i don't. and you don't. but addicts do.

real
It's not physically addicting, but mentally it is, and mental addictions are harder to quit than physical addictions.

Like oversleeping....having too much sex...overeating.....

These are not addictions....They are bad habbits that require will power, and 'want to' in order to be broken...

Obviously Ricky didn't have the will power or 'want to'....

Double Barrel
Booze is far, far more addictive - both physically and mentally - than hemp. Fact.

It has nothing to do with the substances themselves, but the legality of them. One is outlawed, and the other is a regular fixture at all football games, happily advertising itself all the while.

kastofsna
that's a big myth. there's only one type of addiction.

real
05-11-2007, 01:16 PM
What does pot do to enhance your performance on the field?

Just like the whole 'addiction' thing it's pretty much all mental...

It does nothing to enhance your physical capabilities, but it gives you a reckless attitude, and you are more focused....and for some odd reason you don't get tired as easily or feel as much pain....

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
that's a big myth. there's only one type of addiction.

Whatever dude. There's physical and mental addictions and most people are involved with both while on drugs. If you've ever tried quitting smoking you'd understand.

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Like oversleeping....having too much sex...overeating.....

These are not addictions....They are bad habbits that require will power, and 'want to' in order to be broken...

Obviously Ricky didn't have the will power or 'want to'....

yeah if it were only so simple. Stupid psychologists and doctors, what do they know about addiction....maybe you should go and tell them all what's up.

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
i'll listen to the doctors. addiction has one definition: consequences. doesn't matter what the substance is, if you can't quit in the face of consequences, then you're addicted, period, end of story, there's no difference between the "physical" and "mental" aspects of it. WHICH IS THE SAME THING.

Mr. White
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Wait, didn't he get a degree from U.T.? Can't he smoke dope and be a professor in California or something? Maybe he could run for political office on an honesty platform "I did inhale and I enjoyed it too".

He went to UT for 4 years, but never got a degree. IIRC, he'd be classified as a sophomore if he went back. I've also heard that he pissed away most of his money and has 2-3 kids with different moms.

***edit***
4 kids.

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Just like the whole 'addiction' thing it's pretty much all mental...

It does nothing to enhance your physical capabilities, but it gives you a reckless attitude, and you are more focused....and for some odd reason you don't get tired as easily or feel as much pain....

uhh, sure buddy. I've smoke pot probably 5,000 times in my life and have never felt that way. I have a job, finished college, and function quite normally too....imagine that.

ATX
05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
i'll listen to the doctors. addiction has one definition: consequences. doesn't matter what the substance is, if you can't quit in the face of consequences, then you're addicted, period, end of story, there's no difference between the "physical" and "mental" aspects of it. WHICH IS THE SAME THING.

There's a difference, but there's no point arguing over it. I'm out

Double Barrel

Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I beg to differ. There is absolutely no physical addiction to gambling, but it is a very real addiction to many people.

By the same token, heroin and crack have severe chemical dependencies that your body must detox from before you can even begin to address the mental dependency.

You seem to be generalizing addictions.

p.s. I've looked up the definition of "addiction", and "consequences" is nowhere to be found.

- the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

- being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming

- A physical or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, such as a drug or alcohol. In physical addiction, the body adapts to the substance being used and gradually requires increased amounts to reproduce the effects originally produced by smaller doses.

- Habitual psychological and physiological dependence on a substance or practice beyond one's voluntary control.

- compulsive physiological need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal

I'm not sure what dictionary you use for definitions, but I'd be interested in seeing it. idonno:

real
yeah if it were only so simple. Stupid psychologists and doctors, what do they know about addiction....maybe you should go and tell them all what's up.

LMAO...I work for a psychologist...In fact I'll ask him about it....

But personally, I don't really believe in mental addictions...

And by the way...cigarettes have nicotine in them....

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
no point in arguing it? what? what's the point of this thread.

anyway: http://www.drugfree.org/Intervention/Ask_Expert/Dr_Drew_QA/#My_Sons_Smoking_Marijuana

Mr. White
05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Ricky's mental health issues are quite well-documented. I think that's what we really should be talking about. Weed is just how he deals with it.

kastofsna
Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but I beg to differ. There is absolutely no physical addiction to gambling, but it is a very real addiction to many people.

By the same token, heroine and crack have severe chemical dependencies that your body must detox from before you can even begin to address the mental dependency.

You seem to be generalizing addictions.
the chemical dependencies have nothing to do with addiction. it's not generalizing.

real
uhh, sure buddy. I've smoke pot probably 5,000 times in my life and have never felt that way. I have a job, finished college, and function quite normally too....imagine that.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything I said... I can pretty much say all of that(except I'm still in school)

But the only difference is that I pretty much have firts hand experience at playing, and smoking...

I never said it makes you dumb...

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Wow.... 5,000 times?. Thats once a day for like almost 14 years. j/k

Anyway, someone mentioned NOT going through withdrawals from pot.. According to that article above, people can go through withdrawals, but not necessarily the shakes or something physical, but rather they would get aggressive or moody... Cause and effect.

Porky
05-11-2007, 01:36 PM

You're going to have fun when you get older and your short term memory goes away. Have fun. :doot:

real
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow.... 5,000 times?. Thats once a day for like almost 14 years. j/k

Anyway, someone mentioned NOT going through withdrawals from pot.. According to that article above, people can go through withdrawals, but not necessarily the shakes or something physical, but rather they would get aggressive or moody... Cause and effect.

I get agressive and moody when I get stressed at work...

I think you, as an individual, decide whether or not mental addictions are real...

My definition of addiction is something that you can't stop doing because your body has become dependent on it.

Everything else is just a bad habbit. Habbits are broken with will power.

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
lol xtru

Double Barrel
05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
LMAO...I work for a psychologist...In fact I'll ask him about it....

But personally, I don't really believe in mental addictions...

And by the way...cigarettes have nicotine in them....

Then explain gambling addictions. There is no physical dependency.

the chemical dependencies have nothing to do with addiction. it's not generalizing.

Then why does every dictionary of the English language define "addictions" as such?

You can't just make up your own definitions when there is a generally agreed upon standard. :shades:

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
addiction is all the same. if you're addicted to something, you're an addict, and if you can be addicted to any chemical, you have the capacity to be addicted to gambling/sex/whatever.

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Since this has turned into an interesting topic:

addiction
<psychiatry> Pattern of compulsive drug use characterised by a continued craving for an opioid and the need to use the opioid for effects other than pain relief. (Psychological dependence).

The state of being given up to some habit, especially strong dependence on a drug.

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?query=addiction

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:44 PM
that's a terrible definition lol

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
On another web-site:

Main Entry: adĚdicĚtion
Pronunciation: -dik-shn
Function: noun
: compulsive physiological need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be physically, psychologically, or socially harmful -- compare HABITUATION

http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwmednlm?book=Medical&va=addiction

NOTE: Both make reference to drug or chemical related dependancies

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
"Addiction is characterized by the compulsive use of substances or engagement of behaviors despite clear evidence to the user of negative consequences."

period. consequences.

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
"Addiction is characterized by the compulsive use of substances or engagement of behaviors despite clear evidence to the user of negative consequences."

period. consequences.

Just curious where you are getting your definitions, because when this started out, I was more apt to side with you and your definition. After looking on several sites now - I have not seen the word "behavior" used as you used it here - but have seen in all of them a reference to chemical or drug...

real
Then explain gambling addictions. There is no physical dependency.

I think it's just a bad habbit...

You can't just make up your own definitions when there is a generally agreed upon standard.

IMHO, I think doctors have come up with all kinds of 'mental' illnesses in order to get more patients...All they did was expand they're market...

I don't really believe everyone that is diagnosed with ADD really has ADD (was diagnosed with it when I was younger, my mother decided against putting me on meds and I've been pretty successful)...

If gambling is an addiction, then so is being a pedophile....I don't believe either one are addictions...I think they are things that you can control if you choose to...

axman40
Ricky likes pot ,film at 11:00 ?
:pirate:

real
05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
On another web-site:

Main Entry: ad·dic·tion
Pronunciation: -dik-shn
Function: noun
: compulsive physiological need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be physically, psychologically, or socially harmful -- compare HABITUATION

http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwmednlm?book=Medical&va=addiction

NOTE: Both make reference to drug or chemical related dependancies

This topic is debatable....Different dictionaries probably even have different definitions...

I'm with this definition...If it doesn't affect you physically, I say it's not an addiction and just a habbit that you can break with will power or a nice talk with someone you respect...

kastofsna
05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
IMHO, I think doctors have come up with all kinds of 'mental' illnesses in order to get more patients...All they did was expand they're market...
hahahahahahahahahaha

HOU-TEX
05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
HOU-TEX + Smoking Tree = Giggle, Stuff face, Sleep:yawn:

gtexan02
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Wow this is a lot of name calling and internet citing with almost no substance either way. Im a PhD student in the neuroscience department at UVa. Ive had plenty of courses and first hand experience dealing with addiction: both psychological addictions and physical addictions.

if you want me to explain the neurological differences I'd be happy to, but I think it'd be easier to look at it this way:

Ricky Williams has a social anxiety disorder. He self medicates with mairjuana. As such, its very difficult for him to quit using. Call it what you will, it makes no difference.

He broke a rule in the NFL that is very clear, and is being punished for it. End of story

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I think I may have a "Social Anxiety Disorder", or "SAD" for short... Anyone have Ricky's number??

real
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Wow this is a lot of name calling and internet citing with almost no substance either way. Im a PhD student in the neuroscience department at UVa. Ive had plenty of courses and first hand experience dealing with addiction: both psychological addictions and physical addictions.

if you want me to explain the neurological differences I'd be happy to, but I think it'd be easier to look at it this way:

Ricky Williams has a social anxiety disorder. He self medicates with mairjuana. As such, its very difficult for him to quit using. Call it what you will, it makes no difference.

He broke a rule in the NFL that is very clear, and is being punished for it. End of story

Serious question: If I get really anxious speaking in front of large crowds and drinking a glass of water before I begin calms me down, does that mean I'm addicted to water because everytime I speak I feel like I MUST have a glass of water to calm me down ?

real
05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I think I may have a "Social Anxiety Disorder", or "SAD" for short... Anyone have Ricky's number??

1-800-768-4323

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
1-800-768-4323

I'm afraid to even try it...

real
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm afraid to even try it...

look at what letters the numbers correspond with...

Texan_Bill
05-11-2007, 02:14 PM
look at what letters the numbers correspond with...

Nice.... I may be dumb, but I am not fast....

Errant Hothy
05-11-2007, 02:19 PM
1-800-768-4323

Nice.

But still think somebody should dial it to see who answers.

Double Barrel
05-11-2007, 02:25 PM

period. consequences.

This is an interesting take, because the idea of many drug addicts comprehending clear evidence through the haze seems counter-intuitive.

And some addictions could be considered "harmless", like morning coffee. There is a clear physical addiction to caffeine supported by hard scientific evidence, but I'm not seeing any clear evidence of negative consquences in my daily java intake.

I think it's just a bad habbit...

I don't really believe everyone that is diagnosed with ADD really has ADD (was diagnosed with it when I was younger, my mother decided against putting me on meds and I've been pretty successful)...

If gambling is an addiction, then so is being a pedophile....I don't believe either one are addictions...I think they are things that you can control if you choose to...

National Council on Problem Gambling (http://www.ncpgambling.org/)

I understand your point about "habit" vs. "addiction", but we must consider the deep rooted (and real) problems of obsessive compulsive disorders. Just because it's only in the mind does not diminish it's reality. Many mental illnesses are not make believe.

Interesting input, and thanks for sharing. (Although I'll have to disagree with you that there is "no substance either way" in this discussion, considering clear definitions are being offered here. :shades: )