PDA

View Full Version : Darius Walker to sign with Texans

alphajoker
05-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet but on NFL.com, Adam Schefter reports that the Texans have reached an agreement with Walker. What do you guys think?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Specnatz
05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
You can never have to many Notre dame boys on the roster. He is a good third down type of back. Not exceptionaly fast, but has great hands and can block.

Yankee_In_TX
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Mixed feelings. I guess as long as we pay squat until seeing if he makes the team. Worries me Rosenhaus is his agent and the Bears couldn't ink him.

Specnatz
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Mixed feelings. I guess as long as we pay squat until seeing if he makes the team. Worries me Rosenhaus is his agent and the Bears couldn't ink him.

I had posted those exact feelings a few days earlier on the ND site I goto from time to time.

Noblesse Oblige
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I would give a Hootie if it was Darius Rucker. *fog horn*

ArlingtonTexan
05-09-2007, 10:08 PM
As an undrafted FA, a sigining bonus of $25,000 would be huge and he probably go less than that. His salary will be the league minimum. A no risk look at him.

HuttoKarl
05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
As an undrafted FA, a sigining bonus of $25,000 would be huge and he probably go less than that. His salary will be the league minimum. A no risk look at him.

I thought he looked pretty decent any time I saw Notre Dame play....I liked that other RB Powers-Neal or whatever better though...guy was a bulldozer.

edo783
05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Personally, I doubt he makes it out of camp, but if he does...more power to him and to Rick Smith for the pickup.

The1ApplePie
05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Well... The kid is probably better than Lundy and Gado.

76Texan
05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
seems like he knows how to find the hole, I just don't know if he can get there in time. It closes up pretty fast at this level.

from the film, it doesn't look like he has the speed nor the power.
but as long as he can find the hole, he might be good enough for short yardage situation.

probably need to build some strength.
IMO, a candidate for the PS.

LORK 88
05-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I expect him to surpise some people, but he needs to add some weight. Not sure if he makes the roster, but he should make the practice squad if anything.

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2007, 01:42 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet but on NFL.com, Adam Schefter reports that the Texans have reached an agreement with Walker. What do you guys think?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

DraftDaddy shows him with the Bears.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/floodlist.cfm

I trust Schefter more than DraftDaddy. From everything I've read, Walker sounds like the classic 1-cut runner.

TexanFan881
05-10-2007, 07:39 AM
DraftDaddy shows him with the Bears.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/floodlist.cfm

I trust Schefter more than DraftDaddy. From everything I've read, Walker sounds like the classic 1-cut runner.

Supposedly Walker was really close to signing with the Bears and backed out at the last second. I know there were a few reports that he signed with the Bears, but that never happened.

Texans_Chick
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Check out video:

Texans FanHouse Link: Texans Sign Notre Dame Running Back Darius Walker (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/10/texans-sign-notre-dame-running-back-darius-walker/)

Kaiser Toro
05-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Can't stand overhyped, soft players from Notre Dame myself.

TD
05-10-2007, 09:56 AM
What happened here anyway? When he left early it was assumed he'd be a 3 - 4th round pick. Was his combine that bad?

Errant Hothy
05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Chron linakge:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4791183.html

The Texans agreed to terms with Notre Dame running back Darius Walker on Wednesday.

Walker, who was not selected in last month's NFL draft, left Notre Dame after his junior season. He originally agreed to a free-agent contract with the Chicago Bears following the draft but never signed it and eventually changed his mind.

Walker will join a crowded group of running backs with the Texans. Ahman Green is the starter, and Ron Dayne enters the offseason as the No. 2 back. Walker will compete for playing time with returnees Samkon Gado, Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor.

Walker, 5-10, 208 pounds, ranks third in Notre Dame history with 693 carries and fourth with 3,249 yards.

Texans_Chick
05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
What happened here anyway? When he left early it was assumed he'd be a 3 - 4th round pick. Was his combine that bad?

He is an in-between guy--too small to be a power back and too slow to be a speed back.

If you look at the skill sets that Denver has valued in the Shanahan years, vision is more important than breakaway speed.

TD
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
He is an in-between guy--too small to be a power back and too slow to be a speed back.

Too small, too slow, etc.., etc.... but gets the job done. My kind of player. I can't see any downside to giving this guy a look.

michaelm
05-10-2007, 11:20 AM

If you look at the skill sets that Denver has valued in the Shanahan years, vision is more important than breakaway speed.

I've heard him described as a one-cut guy with good vision and he reportedly has a natural feel for blocking and blocking angles.

Errant Hothy
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
He cut's well, and he pick's up the blitz well so he'll atleast get a shot here. Notice has just been served to Gado, Taylor and Lundy.

real
05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Some film on him: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/

My analysis: As mentioned above, not real alusive, quick, fast or powerful
Catches decently out of the backfield, Lowers shoulders on contact, really good vision, patience. Doesn't have breakaway speed but it looks like he understands angles which helps when running away from defenders.

Overall he looks like a good football player, but doesn't have any physical attributes that wow you. Reminds me of a Curtis Martin type player.

Porky
05-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Excellent UDFA signing, continuining a string of great UDFA pickups.

NFL comparions - Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, Kevin Jones, and our own former DD, Dominick Davis Williams. I can see parts of each of these guys in Walker, who likely will not be as successful as any of them. I'm comparing body type, speed, style, etc, not overall talent.

I do feel this guy can carve out a decent career as a 3rd down back. This is the DD compairson - excellent hands and moves well in space. If he is willing, can also develop into a good blitz protecter.

I see him challenging for a roster spot. Better than Walli Lundy, and a better prospect than Chris Taylor imo. I think Lundy is cut, and if they keep three, it's going to come down to Taylor, Gado, and Walker. May the best man win!:cowboy1:

Specnatz
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Can't stand overhyped, soft players from Notre Dame myself.

I can't stand those type of players coming from any school myself, thank goodness Darius Walker does not fit that discription. The only ND player to get any hype over the last 4 years has been Brady Quinn.

Excellent UDFA signing, continuining a string of great UDFA pickups.

NFL comparions - Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, Kevin Jones, and our own former DD, Dominick Davis Williams. I can see parts of each of these guys in Walker, who likely will not be as successful as any of them. I'm comparing body type, speed, style, etc, not overall talent.

I do feel this guy can carve out a decent career as a 3rd down back. This is the DD compairson - excellent hands and moves well in space. If he is willing, can also develop into a good blitz protecter.

I see him challenging for a roster spot. Better than Walli Lundy, and a better prospect than Chris Taylor imo. I think Lundy is cut, and if they keep three, it's going to come down to Taylor, Gado, and Walker. May the best man win!:cowboy1:

I can not disagree with this assesment. I do not know what Taylor or Lundy runs, but Taylor is in serious trouble because of his fumbling issues.

The reason Walker came out early is...

First, I think he got some bad info from a certain agent who is a slimeball. Second, his stock was not going to get any higher than it was at the point before the draft, because he was going to lose carries next year to a bunch of young runningbacks and to a Sr who was moved to LB to add speed on the defense and Coach Weis has not ruled out him returing to rb because of his mix of power and speed. After that it is Sophmore and freshman on the depth chart.

TexanAddict
05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Try not to draw to much from this, but here is a quick comparison of how Walker tested to that of DD/DW:

Walker
Campus: 4.56 in the 40-yard dash … 38-inch vertical jump … 90foot-10 broad jump.

Combine: 4.61 in the 40-yard dash … 1.6 10-yard dash … 2.67 20-yard dash … 4.39 20-yard shuttle … 7.18 three-cone drill … 40½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-3 broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times.

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/walker_darius)

DD/DW
CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.56 in the 40-yard dash … 365-pound bench press … 286-pound power clean … 31½-inch vertical jump … 30 1/8-inch arm length … 8 7/8-inch hands … Right-handed.

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
4.63 in the 40-yard dash... 1.63 10-yard dash... 2.72 20-yard dash... 4.47 shuttle... 7.32 three-cone drill... VJ 32½... BJ 9'4"... Bench pressed 225 pounds 22 yimes

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/davis_domanick)

Texans_Chick
05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I can't stand those type of players coming from any school myself, thank goodness Darius Walker does not fit that discription. The only ND player to get any hype over the last 4 years has been Brady Quinn.

I can not disagree with this assesment. I do not know what Taylor or Lundy runs, but Taylor is in serious trouble because of his fumbling issues.

The reason Walker came out early is...

First, I think he got some bad info from a certain agent who is a slimeball. Second, his stock was not going to get any higher than it was at the point before the draft, because he was going to lose carries next year to a bunch of young runningbacks and to a Sr who was moved to LB to add speed on the defense and Coach Weis has not ruled out him returing to rb because of his mix of power and speed. After that it is Sophmore and freshman on the depth chart.

Also it wasn't a terribly deep quality draft for running backs this year, compared to how it is likely going to be next year. Doesn't help him any though.

nunusguy
05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
One of the axioms of Denver Bronco Football is "Backs are a dime a dozen".
And Gary Kubiak to be sure is a deciple of Bronco football, so in keeping with his early training he continues to load-up on no-name running backs.
And you know what, I absolutely love the philosophy. Right On Kubiak !

Hagar
05-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Here's a blurb on him:

Darius Walker RB 5'10 206 Notre Dame 4.56 (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/darius_walker.html)

Here's another little tid bit on both Walker and Abbate:

Undrafted Freeagents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/undrafted.html)

The1ApplePie
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
One of the axioms of Denver Bronco Football is "Backs are a dime a dozen".
And Gary Kubiak to be sure is a deciple of Bronco football, so in keeping with his early training he continues to load-up on no-name running backs.
And you know what, I absolutely love the philosophy. Right On Kubiak !

The system sure didn't work last year.

Of course that was starting out with Lundy, who was without a doubt the worst starting back in the leauge.

If AD was around at 10, we wouldn't even had thought about Okoye. AD was pretty much the ultimate ZB system RB. Even if we didn't take him, the Broncos or Packers would have paid plenty for it.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Reminds me of the 2003 version of Domanick Davis, before he started packing on some pounds.

Vinny
05-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Reminds me of the 2003 version of Domanick Davis, before he started packing on some pounds.
He kind of reminds me of Dom (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RVGTQfVg2hY) Davis (http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUYPsghhbig) too. A short guy with good hands, balance and pretty decent tackle breaking ability.

dickieb
05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
He sure does run toward the sidelines a lot, I guess you have to if you're small.

Specnatz
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
He sure does run toward the sidelines a lot, I guess you have to if you're small.

He is not all that small for a RB, about the same size as E Smith.

vtech9
05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
there is just something about the way he runs that reminds me of James Allen...that isn't a good thing.

Vinny
05-11-2007, 11:29 PM
there is just something about the way he runs that reminds me of James Allen...that isn't a good thing.
that's probably a good comparison. I saw someone throw out the name Allen Pinkett (another short in stature back with a ND to Houston connection), but I think Pinkett was a much stronger runner inside.

mexican_texan
05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I think he can at least beat out Wali Lundy.

vtech9
05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I think he can at least beat out Wali Lundy.

I don't think so...You could be right, but I doubt it. I don't know, but from watching his highlight videos, he just seemed to go down too easily. Right now, all I can say about him is "training camp fodder".

vtech9
05-12-2007, 12:14 AM
that's probably a good comparison. I saw someone throw out the name Allen Pinkett (another short in stature back with a ND to Houston connection), but I think Pinkett was a much stronger runner inside.

I can see the comparison with Pinkett, but I don't think it fits. I don't think Walker is near as quick as Pinkett was, and like you said, I think Pinkett was a much stronger runner inside.

MEGA SWATT
05-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Some film on him: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/

My analysis: As mentioned above, not real alusive, quick, fast or powerful
Catches decently out of the backfield, Lowers shoulders on contact, really good vision, patience. Doesn't have breakaway speed but it looks like he understands angles which helps when running away from defenders.

Overall he looks like a good football player, but doesn't have any physical attributes that wow you. Reminds me of a Curtis Martin type player.

Thanks for the clip. I sure hope we have a decent running game this year:bat: