PDA

View Full Version : May 8 power rankings (Prisco @ CBS)

powerfuldragon
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
http://images.nfl.com/images/gamecenter/60x50/HOU.gif30 Texans (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/HOU)

Matt Schaub takes over as quarterback and now he will find out what David Carr learned: It's hard to win without more than one weapon.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings
Yup, we're # 30, right behind our good friends the Titans...
Don't get too worked up over it. Training camp hasn't even started yet.

TexanSam
05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I didn't realize the season had started already.

TD
05-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Dropped 3 spots from last year.....I guess he didn't think much of our offseason or two game winning streak to end '06.

Specnatz
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Yet another hack writer who regergitates what he hears everyone else saying without watching the team and writes double sided on teams.

The Texans have only one weapon, ok fine in the WR class the rest are unproven, but seriously ............ NVM!

Texan_Bill
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
First, I don't put any credence in this, especially this early

But I did like this:
Vince Young played well, but not nearly as well as the hype. He may be forced to do even more, however, because this team hasn't made a lot of improvements and lost some key people.

LORK 88
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Obviously, everyone knows we won't finish 3rd to last, but until we prove them wrong this season, I expect to see more rankings like this. However, considering we've done nothing but add talent and only lost Carr and Moulds, I still think we shouldn't of dropped.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Yup, we're # 30, right behind our good friends the Titans...
Don't get too worked up over it. Training camp hasn't even started yet.

Damn.

And you know these power rankings are always dead on.

Oh.

Wait.

Nevermind.

I can't believe someone put one of these together this early.

powerfuldragon
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I can't believe someone put one of these together this early.
Yup. seems silly.

Double Barrel
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
'eh, proof is in the pudding. And that won't be ready for a few more months.

At this point, I could care less what the national media thinks of our team, because 1), we have sucked for five seasons, so I can't really blame them, and 2) they have a herd mentality about non-east/west coast teams.

Porky
05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Let's see. The Titans had a terrible offseason. OTOH, the Texans ditched Carr, which has to be worth 5 spots in itself, and added talent in FA and the draft, while losing noboday of worth (and that includes Carr), yet we are behind the Meatballs.

Makes sense to me. :gun:

The good news is this stuff is just meaningless, if not a little infuriating. I hope Kubes cuts it out and puts it in their lockers.

SheTexan
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
I hope Kubes cuts it out and puts it in their lockers.

If he posted all the negative stuff that's been written about the Texans this off season our boys would never find the time to get dressed.:texflag:

Second Honeymoon
05-09-2007, 04:26 PM
the Texans at #30 is a joke but oh well, its to be expected. The writer is obviously a complete moron as he has the Cowboys at #9. I am not a Cowboys-hater like some but to put them at #9 is a total joke. The Bills at #20!! are you freaking kidding me? they lost McGahee and Spikes, and had a pretty average draft and virtually no offseason yet they are #20? give me a freaking break. The Jaguars at #12? come on now....and the kicker of them all.....the Arizona Cardinals at #13....omfg what a dimwit...

but as mentioned by other posters in this thread, we will continue to get hated on until we can put together a good season and compete for a playoff spot. lets hope we put an end to the 'hating' this year.

I would have the Texans at #26 at least...but that is just me.

gtexan02
05-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Man, what are people griping about?

First off, of course people put this stuff out early. Teams are done with free agency. They are done with the draft. its time to start speculating. These are sports writers. This is their career. And many of them specialize in football. The offseason is VERY long. And now that most of the player changes have finished up, Im not at all suprised to see some preliminary power rankings.

Secondly, of course we are going to be near the bottom. Many of you griped when we were listed in the top 10 worst teams in last years pre-season speculation, but guess what? We finished 6-10. 8th worst in the NFL. Sure we made a lot of progess, but if everyone is expecting to see us projected into the top 10...good luck.

To the outside sports world, we are team that gave up record sack numbers over 3 years, and last year still gave up over 40 with mostly 3 step drops. We lost our star running back. We cut our 2nd receiver. We made no significant OL moves. We dumped our starting QB for an unproven backup.

Of course we are optimistic, because we know the team.
But to the outside sports world, I think 30th is more than fair

HOU-TEX
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Let's see. The Titans had a terrible offseason. OTOH, the Texans ditched Carr, which has to be worth 5 spots in itself, and added talent in FA and the draft, while losing noboday of worth (and that includes Carr), yet we are behind the Meatballs.

If he posted all the negative stuff that's been written about the Texans this off season our boys would never find the time to get dressed.:texflag:

LOL! After having a bad computer day here at work it was nice to have a good laugh. Very true, but darn funny as well. Thanks :cool:

Ole Miss Texan
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Man, what are people griping about?

First off, of course people put this stuff out early. Teams are done with free agency. They are done with the draft. its time to start speculating. These are sports writers. This is their career. And many of them specialize in football. The offseason is VERY long. And now that most of the player changes have finished up, Im not at all suprised to see some preliminary power rankings.

Secondly, of course we are going to be near the bottom. Many of you griped when we were listed in the top 10 worst teams in last years pre-season speculation, but guess what? We finished 6-10. 8th worst in the NFL. Sure we made a lot of progess, but if everyone is expecting to see us projected into the top 10...good luck.

To the outside sports world, we are team that gave up record sack numbers over 3 years, and last year still gave up over 40 with mostly 3 step drops. We lost our star running back. We cut our 2nd receiver. We made no significant OL moves. We dumped our starting QB for an unproven backup.

Of course we are optimistic, because we know the team.
But to the outside sports world, I think 30th is more than fair

I think gtexan is spot on...

As soon as the season ends, the mock drafts come out...actually when there are like 3 games left mocks start popping up. this is before the season ends or when it has ended, no FA or trades have happened which is very important for the draft.

If I made a power ranking, it would be different than his, or anybody's for that matter. I wouldn't have the texans top ten but i wouldn't have them 30 either. But this guy is a sports writer and they have to come up with stuff all the time. Untill we prove ourselves i expect to see us pretty far down.

However I think we've made some great moves and will surprise A LOT of people this season. I wish the media take more notice, but they deal with short term predictions. They would REALLY be putting themselves on the line for making wild predictions. Like if some guy said the Texans would make the playoffs...fans all around the country and other writers would make fun of him and think he's a joke. if it comes true and we do make the playoffs, people would be like wow..good guess. The downside is a lot more than the upside...they aren't going to do that to their career.

Let the Texans of '07 be the Saints of '06!!!!

Thorn
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
These pre-season rankings don't mean a whole lot.

Let's get the boys out on the football field and watch them play, and then I put a little more credibility on the rankings. Even still, you know what rankings are, 'cause everyone has one.